Fatal crash in Benton County

Fatal crash in Benton County

There are 54 comments on the WLFI Lafayette story from Sep 25, 2008, titled Fatal crash in Benton County. In it, WLFI Lafayette reports that:

A 5-year-old girl has died following a crash on U.S. 52 in Benton County. Sheriff Bruce Pritchett said the accident happened just one mile south of Benton Central High School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLFI Lafayette.

BC Resident

United States

#24 Sep 26, 2008
The first paragraph is for the people who are "slamming " the dump driver. I hope you realize he is hurting also.........
From what I can tell from looking at the scene, the dump truck was out on the road and traveling down the road quite aways from the intersection. I'm going by the marks on the road.

It doesn't matter who is at fault. Many lives were changed yesterday, They ALL need our prayers.This child was a beautiful little girl, one of Prairie Crossing little Angels. Please, lets quit pointing fingers and making accusations..........
BC Mom

United States

#25 Sep 26, 2008
Twin Lakes has lost 4 children tonight also. BC and Twin Lakes play each other tonight in BC's Homecoming game. I feel the game should be postponed. What about anyone else?
Windfarmer

Morenci, MI

#26 Sep 26, 2008
sirduker6 wrote:
This accident didn't happen south of BC.
I was one of the people who pulled the mother from the car and then moved the childs body away from the fire. I have children of my own and the bottom line is a little girl lost her life and a mother is devastated. I cried for hours after what I saw and all this finger pointing does nothing but dimenish what happened on that highway. Noone building this Windfarm wants anyone to be hurt. THis is a tragedy that changed many people's lives including mine. Rest in Peace Saige I truly am sorry I couldnt do more.
Windfarmer

Morenci, MI

#27 Sep 26, 2008
I was one of the men who pulled the mother from the fire and then moved Saige's body away from the fire. This was a devastating thing not just for the mother but for all of those involved. Fingerpointing before knowing what happened only serves to dimenish what happened on that highway. I cried for hours after what I saw and cant imagine what the mother is going thru, Rest in Peace Saige I am so sorry I could not do more.
BC Resident

United States

#28 Sep 26, 2008
BC Mom wrote:
Twin Lakes has lost 4 children tonight also. BC and Twin Lakes play each other tonight in BC's Homecoming game. I feel the game should be postponed. What about anyone else?
OMG I assumed the game would be cancelled. What are they thinking??? 5 children dead and they are still playing this game ??????
hey texters

Rensselaer, IN

#29 Sep 26, 2008
I sure hope there was no texting going on while the mom was driving. I see it everyday, and i am here to say, this is one of the worst things that can be mixed with driving. Lives have already been lost and this texting crap has got to stop in the drivers seat. I guarantee this craze is gonna take more lives in the future.
LindsayS

Niles, IL

#30 Sep 27, 2008
I am close friends with the family. My son and Saige were buddy's since the day they were born and Jessica and her family are dear friends to myself and my family. This is no time to blame anyone. Regardless of who was or wasnt paying attention, it was noones intention that anyone would be hurt. My son is deeply confused and upset over the loss of this beautiful little girl. Her family needs all the prayers they can get. Anyone wasting there time on here bickering and trash mouthing doesn't deserve to have an opinion. Rest in peace little one... Bev & Jess, and the Young's, you are in my prayers.
Pat

Monon, IN

#31 Sep 27, 2008
I have read all of the comments and I would like to make one of my own. No, it is not right when there is a tragic situation that people only look around for someone to blame. But, there are lessons to be learned from all of this. Last weekend, 4 people from Carroll County were killed in two seperate accidents. Three memebers of the same family. This past week, 5 children lost their lives in tragic accidents. That is 9 people in 7 days. Wake up. What is it going to take to realize there is something terrible wrong with this picture. Yes, they were all accidents, but could they have been prevented? My heart goes out to all the families involved in all of these accidents. Maybe, it is time we take a closer look at our own lives and what we do day to day. Are there things in our own lives we can change to maybe, just maybe, help to prevent something tragic like this happening to us and our families. Instead of putting your energy into blaming someone for something you was not involved in and had no control over, put that energy to work in your own life.
Amy

Lafayette, IN

#32 Sep 27, 2008
Just wanted to add my prayers for the family also. I can't even imagine the pain they are going through. I hope God covers them with his everlasting love and that each day brings a little peace to their hearts. Rest peacfully little one.
Pat

Monon, IN

#33 Sep 27, 2008
I have one other comment to make about BC and Twin Lakes going ahead with their football game on Friday night. I believe this just goes to show how much society today places on the value of sports in the schools. This has gone on for years. But, when you put that value of a sports game above the value of a human life it is one of the most disrepectfull things a school can do. Years ago this would not have been the case. The game would have been canceled out of respect for all the families involved. Ask yourselves what can be done to change this. We need to wake up people and take control back of our schools and our lives.
BC resident

Zionsville, IN

#34 Sep 27, 2008
I didnt understand why the game wasnt cancelled either.Why? Cause they were handicap? The game was cancelled the night Saige was killed.Dont make since.Does this soceity base it on who you are? Wake up people,we are all the same.Your no better than the next person.The kids killed on the bus needed just as much love as the next one.It breaks my heart,thinking what the family was thinking,that sports are most important.I give respect out to Praire Crossing they had the human decency to cancel for Saige's sake.B.C and Twin Lakes need to realize people where affected,lives where lost and the football game even thou it was homecoming could of been delayed one more day! Bless all the family & friends.You have my deepest sympathy and may God be with you all in this time of need.
Live in BC

United States

#35 Sep 27, 2008
My heart does go out to the families of Saige Young.
Next I would like to say that I am a mother and grandmother and my children and grandchildren have always known that buckling up is the first thing that you do when you get in the car. They learn that at an early age because it starts when they are an infant.
I do know Jessica and her family and I do know that Jessica tends to live on the wildside. It will be interseting to find out what the toxicology test results are.
I just feel that this horrific accident could have been avoided and a beautiful little girl might still be with us today.
Live in BC2

Fowler, IN

#36 Sep 27, 2008
I also live in BC - I'm a mother & wife who works, takes care of my children & family, goes to college, gives back to the community, and the list goes on and on - but I still manage to find time to pursue moments on the "wildside". Doesn't make me a bad person and it doesn't make Jessica a bad person.

I'm a Christian who believes that God has a plan for everyone - I also believe that judging others is not right. As much as God disapproves of some of the things we might do to be considered "living on the wildside"...he also disapproves of us judging one another. That's up to him - not us.

I don't believe for one minute that Jessica intended to hurt her little girl and we all know this. I imagine that God will handle this the way he intends to ...and that those who blog their opinion, complaints, blames and judgements against a mother who will live a life of sorrow and "what if's" will go on living their lives, as God intends.

This was a freak accident with a tragic outcome. Noone intended for anyone to get hurt or lose their life and we all know that.

My heart goes out to Jessica and her family. May God give you the strength to live as he intends for you to live...and he will. Your baby girl is in good hands. I'm so sorry for your loss.
The Big Picture

Indianapolis, IN

#37 Sep 28, 2008
Blame aside...What was this sweet little angels message to us all!!!!??? Listen people...it's what she was put here to tell us!
Fed up with stupid people

Utica, KY

#38 Sep 28, 2008
Okay this is for all you people who are ignorant enough to defend this woman's actions. NEWSFLASH:SHE BROKE THE LAW.....theres now way around it..how can you people defend her. Jessica is the adult.. Saige is the child.. I think it was up to her to put her child in a seat belt..or booster seat. It makes me wonder why people would defend a woman who can't take 5 minutes to buckle up her child. People actually are calling this witness who said that Saige was not in a seatbelt an idiot and saying she is not being truthful, what does she have to gain by lying? I hope the Benton County prosecutor does charge her with something... she needs to learn and all you other people out there need to learn that there should be severe consequences for her actions. It sickens me to know that people would rather defend her than realize that she messed up..BIG TIME! Any defense she gives out won't hold up in the eyes of a judge..because when it comes down to it..the law is the law..and she broke it. Grow up people and quit defending ignorant people...you sound rediculous!
The Payne Family

United States

#39 Sep 28, 2008
Our hearts and prayers go out to the family of this little precious child who GOD took home so early. There will probably be no answers to this accident as there will probably be no answers to the accident where four other precious children died in the accident in Cass Co. involving two dump trucks and a moped. Lets not blame and pray and be strong for these families and everybody involved. I know we are in our community here in TN. Tragic accidents like these involve everybody everywhere even communities far away. GOD BLESS YOU!!!!
Mother to 3

Indianapolis, IN

#40 Sep 28, 2008
I am praying for this family.. This is something that could have been prevented.. If Saige had been in her booster seat with a seat belt on she might have had a chance at living... why was Jessica seat belted in but not little Saige??? I also have a 5 year old who is in kindergarten this year... I always make sure my kids are seat bealted in before my car moves... I think all parents or anyone else that drives with kids in the car should do the same thing... And if they get out of their seat belt they should pull the car over and make the get back in it.... I am truely sorry for the loss of this precious little girl... She was the only innocent party in the whole thing...
RIP: Saige<3
Mom and a Mamaw

Indianapolis, IN

#41 Sep 28, 2008
Who in their right mind would create such a monster as a blog to bash someone who has to live with what has happened FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE? If you have so much energy and so much to say, tell it to God. You people need help. And you need to help this innocent little girl and her family. Please. May God bless you all and especially this family.
Sandra

United States

#42 Sep 28, 2008
Well the damage is done the best thing we can do is give sympathy and pray for the family. Its very mournful to lose someone but to lose a child at a young age is even worse. I give my deepest sympathy to the family. It doesn't matter who is at fault. The importance is that there has been a lesson learned. Be a careful driver, wear your seatbelt and watch out for other on the road.
R.I.P Saige. Good luck Jess.
The Big Picture

Indianapolis, IN

#43 Sep 28, 2008
Fed up with stupid people wrote:
Okay this is for all you people who are ignorant enough to defend this woman's actions. NEWSFLASH:SHE BROKE THE LAW.....theres now way around it..how can you people defend her. Jessica is the adult.. Saige is the child.. I think it was up to her to put her child in a seat belt..or booster seat. It makes me wonder why people would defend a woman who can't take 5 minutes to buckle up her child. People actually are calling this witness who said that Saige was not in a seatbelt an idiot and saying she is not being truthful, what does she have to gain by lying? I hope the Benton County prosecutor does charge her with something... she needs to learn and all you other people out there need to learn that there should be severe consequences for her actions. It sickens me to know that people would rather defend her than realize that she messed up..BIG TIME! Any defense she gives out won't hold up in the eyes of a judge..because when it comes down to it..the law is the law..and she broke it. Grow up people and quit defending ignorant people...you sound rediculous!
Isn't burying your 5 year old child severe enough?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fowler Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blonde at petro (Jan '16) Sep '16 Jmr 2
Remington Pizza King has Sex Offender (Jun '14) Sep '16 Iknow80 3
who is that guy (Aug '16) Aug '16 curious 1
Colleen Courtney (Jun '15) Jun '15 Dee 1
News Towing company helps Sandy victims (Feb '13) Aug '14 Seth Ashford 2
News Man who threatened to blow up courthouse pleads... (Jul '14) Jul '14 N8 the Grrr8 2
Remington news (Jun '14) Jun '14 darkknight 1

Fowler Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fowler Mortgages