Questions remain in serious injury accident

Jan 25, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Rushville Republican

A 24-year-old man, identified as Adam C. Helbing, of Stow, Ohio was seriously injured in a single vehicle accident just before 8:30 a.m. Saturday.

Comments
41 - 60 of 77 Comments Last updated Feb 25, 2014
butts

Loveland, OH

#42 Mar 27, 2013
Doubtful anyone will see this, but I actually know adam. He has (from my observance) latent mental issues that he has been treating. Marijuana would make him impulsive and anti social. I for one, didn't like being in the car when he drove (used to be his smokin' buddy). But, he was a very highly reputable student and achiever at OSU; athlete, and engineering major. There was really no avoiding what happened, but he's never hurt a soul and doesn't deserve being rendered parapalegic. He's dedicated his life to sharing his story. The more fuel you burn in life, the harder the crash when the goin' get tough.
Adam Helbling

Richfield, OH

#43 May 25, 2013
I wish I never would have crashed in the city of Rushville considering how critical the people have been of my situation. I absolutely despise the city and once I release my book I will tell national television how insensitive the people are. The police would not even let my father thank them for saving my life. Being paralyzed has made me a much better person. I have realized my purpose in life. I do motivational speaking. I was selected and did a TED talk. I wrote a book and one day I will use my civil engineering degree to build handicap housing for the disabled. I'm making this world a better place because of what happened to me. Do you still wish I was locked up in jail? Thanks for striking me down without the facts instead of praying that I would survive. I've been through too much to care what you people think. You could not live a day in my shoes. You are not man enough.

If you really care what I'm up to these days check out my blog at www.AdamHelbling.com . And if you really want to know I have bipolar disorder and I was off my meds and had a manic episode. I'm sorry that you are disappointed that I wasn't a meth head. You will hear about me soon Rushville and I will not say kind things about your extremely conservative city.
Yous all need church

United States

#44 May 25, 2013
A family member telling you they heard that your meds had side affects does not mean you or they know more then your dr. So once again you made the choice to smoke marijuana (and seem to serious exaggerate it's affects) and not take your mental health meds without consulting your dr.. And some how it's the towns fault for being upset because you COULD have killed someone going 70mph in a 20mph having "the time of your life" as you call it.

I wonder how many motivational speechs people woulf be asking you to do if an innocent person had been killed. No one. So lucky for you, YOUR bad choice hurt no one but you leaving you able to profit and build a life you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Instead you would be in jail for manslaughter because you made the desision that you knew better then your dr how to control your mental stability. The fact that your weren't on heavy drugs or alcohol wouldn't matter because you made the choice to take those risks against dr advice and make those mistake.

It's no one fault but your own and the town was rightfully upset. If one day in your town around your children someone deside to do something equally as stupid I'm sure you would stand up and scream out of fear someone you love could have been hurt. You should not be rewarded and praised for your making a bad choice. Remember you went to rushville. Rushville did not come to you. It wouldn't have been any different no matter what city you felt you had the right to speed through.
Little Miss Can't B Wrong

Fishers, IN

#45 May 26, 2013
Yous all need church wrote:
A family member telling you they heard that your meds had side affects does not mean you or they know more then your dr. So once again you made the choice to smoke marijuana (and seem to serious exaggerate it's affects) and not take your mental health meds without consulting your dr.. And some how it's the towns fault for being upset because you COULD have killed someone going 70mph in a 20mph having "the time of your life" as you call it.

I wonder how many motivational speechs people woulf be asking you to do if an innocent person had been killed. No one. So lucky for you, YOUR bad choice hurt no one but you leaving you able to profit and build a life you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Instead you would be in jail for manslaughter because you made the desision that you knew better then your dr how to control your mental stability. The fact that your weren't on heavy drugs or alcohol wouldn't matter because you made the choice to take those risks against dr advice and make those mistake.

It's no one fault but your own and the town was rightfully upset. If one day in your town around your children someone deside to do something equally as stupid I'm sure you would stand up and scream out of fear someone you love could have been hurt. You should not be rewarded and praised for your making a bad choice. Remember you went to rushville. Rushville did not come to you. It wouldn't have been any different no matter what city you felt you had the right to speed through.
Someone who makes sense! 100% agree with you!
Adam Helbling

Richfield, OH

#46 May 26, 2013
I am truly sorry that I drove so fast through your city. People make mistakes but you have no idea what it's like living with bipolar disorder. I took my medications for over 2 years straight without missing a day. I was afraid of what would happen if I had my second manic episode. I was told that my medications were linked to diabetes so I got scared and went off of them for 5 days. I'm not perfect but how many people have you met with something like depression that go on and off their meds? I'm sorry I was afraid because my feet were going numb and I was afraid that I had diabetes. I never in my right mind would drive that fast. Learn the facts about bipolar disorder. I now speak and raise awareness about it and explain the importance of staying in your meds. This way I can prevent something like what happened to me. I never meant to harm anyone and I did not so stop with the what ifs. I suffered the most harm and now I am paying it forward to society. As for money, I have not charged a dollar for the 40 or so speeches that I have given. I can't believe you would say that I am happy to be paralyzed to be able to profit off my story. I live off Medicaid and social security and disability. I would trade anything not to be paralyzed. A spinal cord injury is the most traumatic injury someone can experience. Yeah... I love that I can't get myself in and out of bed. I love using catheters every 4 hours to go to the bathroom. I love that I will never waterski or walk again. If you're wishing that I was in jail then you got your wish. I am trapped in my own body. I wish I would have gone to jail instead if this. I am just happy I did not hurt anyone. That was the first question I wrote down to ask my family when I had a breathing tube down my throat. I loved spending 3 1/2 months in the hospital. I really enjoyed doing over 1,000 hours of therapy just to find out I will never walk again.
I have learned from my mistakes and now I educate others to make sure it never happens again. I live life to the fullest and try to look back on my accident as a way of starting over. I wished harm on no one. I did harm to no one but myself. I got what I deserved and way more. Leave me alone!'Yous all need church'? Sir, I think you need school. You are all so insensitive! I'm sorry I broke the law. I guess you're just not happy that I didn't suffer enough. I was only 24. I made some bad decisions when I was in a state of mind that I could not control. In 26 now and I know more about life than you will ever know. As for church... I'm closer to God than ever. He saved me for a reason. I pray to him every night to help me make a difference in this world and I know that I am. I'll keep doing my thing and no matter what you say about me you don't know me! I'm sorry that I'm not the meth head that you all thought I was.
frustrated citizens

United States

#47 May 26, 2013
Rushville is a pathetic little redneck town with too many inbred people and others who think there better than everyone else. Lived here for 40 years and glad to be gone from this worthless hick town. God bless you young man and hope your life gets better.
Adam Helbling

Columbus, OH

#49 May 27, 2013
Did not wish to put blame on the entire city of Rushville for those comments. I know that a lot of people in Rushville are still good people. So I am sorry if I offended any of you. But I was still hurt by the comments that I did receive. Sorry to put you all at blame.

I do want to thank the Rushville Police Department and the paramedics for saving my life. I would not be here without them. Thank you!
Yous all need church

Las Vegas, NV

#50 May 27, 2013
I never said you deserved more I'm sure your life is very hard now and thank goodness you lived at all for yor family's sake. Though I did read your blog. You speak openly about not wanting people to feel sorry for you, that you like not having to work a 9-5, enjoy the free 80hrs a week in care from the gov., you like not having to do chores or dishes, and being "tucked in at night like a child" all your own words.
Then you come here and list why people should feel sorry for you and treat you better then the average person because of. So what is Defaming and entire community going to do for you? My "uneducated" point was simply that you shouldn't say " I wish I hadn't crashed in rushville because of the kind of people who live there" it should have been " I wish I would have taken my meds and never crashed at all"

You can not be mad at people for being upset about what might have happened. Think about it. If you had hurt someone "going off your meds" would not be an excuse to get you out of being charged. If you had chose to pick up a gun and shoot at people while manic would that be an excuse for the actions? Out of curiosity were you ever held responsible in a court of law? Not to say that you " were not punished enough" by the physical aspect, but it would also speak to my point of it not being an excuse.

I never came anywhere close to saying you are happy to be paralyzed, in fact the word happy was no where to be found. You did though many times throughout your blog. So your going to give your book away for free then?? Since you find profiting from this so appalling apparently.

Also it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you "think you HAVE diabetes" to go to the dr to check. It is common knowledge that that there is no cure for diabetes. So like you say you thought you had it already, then what would stoping the meds have done. Nothing cause if you had it that would have been it.
You say how scared you were for years to have another episode. Obviously not scared enough to consult your dr though. About the med or the diabetes.
So once again blame can not be placed on the town for how they reacted to your situation not any of them. You want to do something other then try to destroy or belittle a town you know nothing of, since your such a great doer for the people. Why not write a book on the real problems not only in rushville, but maybe why it and MANY small towns like it have the problems drugs, education, racism, teenage pregnacy rates and so on that they do have. Not
" I messed up and they were mean to me cause I put people's lives in danger" do the book that would make you the " better person" not the one which makes you just the same at the core. The way you make it sound you will do the same thing to them that you FEEL they DID to you which only makes you apart of the problem and far from the salution. "be the good that you want to see in the world" in respects to not just the things that YOU feel are "worth it".

People had the right to feel upset with you. It is their home where they spent and live their lives not yours. It's how they felt about what you did because it was so dangerous, but you know that of course. It is you who should understand also their feelings because you know so well what you did was wrong and say that you take responabilty let them have them and be done. You didn't need to resurrect it because you want to promote a book and blog it seems like??

I hope you do well in your future have have the family you hope for. I'm sure you well have strong feeling of wanting to protect them. I do though hope that you would do it in a way not to attack a small town most of which I'm sure would wish no harm for seemingly a second time. I find the sudden turn around in the last comment very insincere. It would be more sincere if you weren't slandering these people already in print and over Internet/blog.
Yous all need church

Las Vegas, NV

#51 May 27, 2013
I never said you deserved more I'm sure your life is very hard now and thank goodness you lived at all for yor family's sake. Though I did read your blog. You speak openly about not wanting people to feel sorry for you, that you like not having to work a 9-5, enjoy the free 80hrs a week in care from the gov., you like not having to do chores or dishes, and being "tucked in at night like a child" all your own words.
Then you come here and list why people should feel sorry for you and treat you better then the average person because of. So what is Defaming and entire community going to do for you? My "uneducated" point was simply that you shouldn't say " I wish I hadn't crashed in rushville because of the kind of people who live there" it should have been " I wish I would have taken my meds and never crashed at all"

You can not be mad at people for being upset about what might have happened. Think about it. If you had hurt someone "going off your meds" would not be an excuse to get you out of being charged. If you had chose to pick up a gun and shoot at people while manic would that be an excuse for the actions? Out of curiosity were you ever held responsible in a court of law? Not to say that you " were not punished enough" by the physical aspect, but it would also speak to my point of it not being an excuse.

I never came anywhere close to saying you are happy to be paralyzed, in fact the word happy was no where to be found. You did though many times throughout your blog. So your going to give your book away for free then?? Since you find profiting from this so appalling apparently.

Also it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know if you "think you HAVE diabetes" to go to the dr to check. It is common knowledge that that there is no cure for diabetes. So like you say you thought you had it already, then what would stoping the meds have done. Nothing cause if you had it that would have been it.
You say how scared you were for years to have another episode. Obviously not scared enough to consult your dr though. About the med or the diabetes.
So once again blame can not be placed on the town for how they reacted to your situation not any of them. You want to do something other then try to destroy or belittle a town you know nothing of, since your such a great doer for the people. Why not write a book on the real problems not only in rushville, but maybe why it and MANY small towns like it have the problems drugs, education, racism, teenage pregnacy rates and so on that they do have. Not
" I messed up and they were mean to me cause I put people's lives in danger" do the book that would make you the " better person" not the one which makes you just the same at the core. The way you make it sound you will do the same thing to them that you FEEL they DID to you which only makes you apart of the problem and far from the salution. "be the good that you want to see in the world" in respects to not just the things that YOU feel are "worth it".

People had the right to feel upset with you. It is their home where they spent and live their lives not yours. It's how they felt about what you did because it was so dangerous, but you know that of course. It is you who should understand also their feelings because you know so well what you did was wrong and say that you take responabilty let them have them and be done. You didn't need to resurrect it because you want to promote a book and blog it seems like??

I hope you do well in your future have have the family you hope for. I'm sure you well have strong feeling of wanting to protect them. I do though hope that you would do it in a way not to attack a small town most of which I'm sure would wish no harm for seemingly a second time. I find the sudden turn around in the last comment very insincere. It would be more sincere if you weren't slandering these people already in print and over Internet/blog.
Adam Helbling

Columbus, OH

#52 May 27, 2013
I have nothing left to say. I will let my actions from here on out do the talking.
keifer

Indianapolis, IN

#53 May 27, 2013
Hey speedy. Do you have diabetes?
Thankful

Stow, OH

#54 May 28, 2013
Adam is a son, grandson, brother, uncle, cousin and friend to so many. We are all thankful that he is alive and well and truly doing something with the life God has created for him. People who judge him for what he has done don't know him. As we all are thankful that no one ELSE was injured during his accident he has paid ten fold for his mistakes. How would you feel if this happened to someone you love? No one is perfect and no one can judge without all the facts!
Honored

Auburndale, FL

#55 May 28, 2013
I have been honored with the privilege to attend school with Adam. What he has done with his life since the accident is more than what a majority of 26 year olds have accomplished thus far. He is an amazing person and would do anything for anyone in a heartbeat. The negative comments on here are absolutely ridiculous. If it were your family member or friend you would be ashamed at the negativity that is being lashed out. I have spent countless hours praying for Adam and his family, and now I will pray for all of the people posting negative shit.
Having a disease or disorder is not something that should be laughed or joked about. Adam made a mistake which did not result in anyone but himself, family and friends getting hurt.
Life is too short.
Keifer, go away.
Adam, keep on doing what you're doing because you have a ton of followers and people that love you. I can't wait for the day your book gets published and all of these haters go away. We love you Adam!
Kat

Akron, OH

#56 May 28, 2013
Adam has to live with this accident for the rest of his life. There is absolutely no need to criticize him, he only injured himself. He was young and made a bad decision that he lives with everyday, and now he is helping people. Bi Polar disorder is very difficult to live with even when taking medications properly if you dont believe that do some research. I wish the best for Adam I went to school with him and he is a kind person. Apparently this town knows how to hold a grudge rather than forgive him for speeding Im sure he wasnt the one and only offender get over it! God Bless you Adam for making a positive influence on this world. Keep up the good work :)
Things Happen 4 a Reason

Dayton, OH

#57 May 28, 2013
It's unfortunate that he had to speed down a residential area. His blog made it seem like he never got off I-70. That being said, the people of the town have reason to be upset. However, what is done is done.

I was surprised after hearing the story that he wasn't sentenced to something legally, and I was surprised hard drugs weren't involved. However, Adam has done everything he can to make right with the situation.

A lot of people would have lived off the government and done nothing with their lives. At least he is going out to speak and motivate people with his story. Maybe he'll help someone get diagnosed with bipolar disorder before they hurt someone. Maybe he'll motivate a group of teens to drive more safely and save a life. Maybe his book sales will go towards a program that will eventually help someone in this town, you never know.

Adam if you read this just know that there are a lot of people out there who support you. However, you don't need to write poorly of the town, and you don't need to ask everyone to come support you on this thread. We do support you. This thread is comprised of 4 people from the town who are upset about your actions, and no one is going to change their minds. Things happen for a reason. You lived, your mind was not damaged, and no one was hurt.

Maybe the few negative people on this thread can go to therapy to deal with their resentments :)
Patsy

Columbus, OH

#58 May 28, 2013
Do any of you people who wished so badly that this young man of 26 now (24 then) would have gone to jail and suffered more or better yet just died what it is like to watch your child go through something so traumatic? I do…I am his mother. Do I ask myself everyday is there something I should have done or could have done to prevent this? If it makes you sleep better at night then, yes, I do. Adam has come back from something most people couldn’t even imagine happening to them. The first year after his accident he felt hopeless and just wanted to die. Sometimes I had thought that maybe that would have been best…then he wouldn’t have had to suffer the not only physical pain but the emotional pain he endured. Luckily, he has an amazing family that love and support him and many, many friends that know what this young man is really made of. I will be forever grateful for the thousands of people who have sent words of support. It would have been much easier for Adam to just give up and be bitter the rest of his life. Instead he chose to use what God left him with to help other people in hopes that he could save just one person. Adam has found peace within himself even though his life has changed dramatically. I only hope that the people that still condemn him can find it in their hearts to forgive him. Who knows, maybe that one person he reaches will be one of your own.

God Bless
Seriously

Lockport, KY

#59 May 28, 2013
Being from Rushville, I am appalled and disgusted with some of the posts I have read on this thread. That being said, he potentially endangered several lives in our small town. Anger is a natural response, and it is somewhat validated. One tiny driving mistake could have caused this terrible situation to be much more tragic than it was. This is a nightmare for his family and the continued attacks are not necessary. Please do not construe this to mean I am condoning his actions, because I am 100% not.

To Kat, yes, our community sees its share of speeding. This was speeding to the extreme. Our community RARELY sees this situation.

To Patsy, please know, the vile comments posted here do not reflect our entire community. Unfortunately this site exists for the recreation of the unintelligent. I will pray for you and your family, and for your son as he continues to battle every day.
Blonde

Richmond, IN

#60 May 28, 2013
Jail whatever just send his ass to prison. Get it over with. That's where he would be if he would had hit and killed some one so just send him and whom ever else that does that crap
wondering

Indianapolis, IN

#61 May 28, 2013
Wonder if this kid had insurance and how much the hospital bill was.

Did he ever get the bill paid?
Yous all need church

Las Vegas, NV

#62 May 28, 2013
Things Happen 4 a Reason wrote:
It's unfortunate that he had to speed down a residential area. His blog made it seem like he never got off I-70. That being said, the people of the town have reason to be upset. However, what is done is done.
I was surprised after hearing the story that he wasn't sentenced to something legally, and I was surprised hard drugs weren't involved. However, Adam has done everything he can to make right with the situation.
A lot of people would have lived off the government and done nothing with their lives. At least he is going out to speak and motivate people with his story. Maybe he'll help someone get diagnosed with bipolar disorder before they hurt someone. Maybe he'll motivate a group of teens to drive more safely and save a life. Maybe his book sales will go towards a program that will eventually help someone in this town, you never know.
Adam if you read this just know that there are a lot of people out there who support you. However, you don't need to write poorly of the town, and you don't need to ask everyone to come support you on this thread. We do support you. This thread is comprised of 4 people from the town who are upset about your actions, and no one is going to change their minds. Things happen for a reason. You lived, your mind was not damaged, and no one was hurt.
Maybe the few negative people on this thread can go to therapy to deal with their resentments :)
Well said.

As for the town holding a grudge. This was years since forgotten until Adam commented after and brought it back up after years to promote something along with a link just yesterday to this on his blog that's says " check out all the horrible things the people of rushville have to say" (all said years ago) That seems more like a grudge to me. A person going through a tragedy while sad and yes it's wonderful the positive things he's done with his life however it does not make one a saint. I do not see the point in the negativity being brought back up years after this was over and continued in a book written by a person who knows as little about the towns people as everyone insisted the town knew about him. The town who I'm sure are vastly unaware of this seems to take at very least partial blame for everything apparently. Even his grudge. Did they jump to conclusion and say some dumb things yes, but he did a dumb thing. So call it even and move on from it like you say you have.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fountaintown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thanks, racist lady! (No, seriously!) 7 hr Skeptic 3
Why do most Blacks hate Whites? (Jul '13) 7 hr Georgie 252
BUYERS BEWARE - Junk John Deere Lawn tractors a... (Sep '11) 8 hr Joeleather 103
Larue Carter right to work fired 50 good staff 9 hr bigdog 7
The truth about homicide in Indy (Jan '14) 10 hr Starlett Miller 200
Search intensifies for missing Indianapolis baby 12 hr blackology 2
Courts tell Indiana to honor gay marriages from... 15 hr Cookie_Parker 8
•••
•••
•••

Fountaintown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••