Panel tackles salary dispute

Panel tackles salary dispute

There are 6 comments on the San Mateo Daily News story from Sep 13, 2007, titled Panel tackles salary dispute. In it, San Mateo Daily News reports that:

“It's definitely hitting us in the high-need areas with the special education turnover and the turnover in math and science”

For the past year, the story has been the same. Teachers point to the San Mateo-Foster City School District's low wages and high turnover in asking for a 15 percent raise. via San Mateo Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Mateo Daily News.

Bob

Sacramento, CA

#1 Sep 25, 2007
Teachers deserve a higher salary
jim b

United States

#2 Sep 25, 2007
i do agree that teachers need to get paid more but you do have to remember that most only work about an average 9-10 months out of the year. im not saying they dont do a lot of work durring that time because i do know when there up grading papers and what not, but then again how many people out there do you know that have to work after house time after time. i hear teachers say that they use those summer months to plan for the next year but im pretty sure that their not putting in a 40hr week of work till school gets closer. they want a 12 month salary for 10 months of work
Stephanie

Daly City, CA

#3 Oct 1, 2007
Are you kidding me? I'm a teacher and I spend most of my summer planning the following year or attending conferences to look for new ways to reach out to all students. You have no idea what teachers go through during the school year. Have you ever been a teacher? I gather not with your ignorant posting. I cannot stand people like yourself who make these blanket statements about something you have no experience in. I would suggest you keep your comments to yourself until you've walked in my shoes all day long.
Tom

Brisbane, CA

#4 Oct 1, 2007
Steph--exactly!

People who think teachers are off for three months are ignorant. Most teachers I know work until almost the end of June and are back mid August. During the school year, they often work 50-60 hours a week, have to meet with parents after work, have to do all those report cards and after hours meetings, parent teacher conferences, evening meetings, and a variety of committees they participate in.
neil signo

Burlingame, CA

#5 Apr 8, 2010
I am not sure really?
But did anyone notice, one person in the company has a MBenz, BMW, Porche...
The other persons with credentials earns 1/2 the pay? Really shows up at work, and performs. I hear people whine whine whine,'I need a new car, means I need a raise','I need a new house, means raise','I need a college plan for my child, means raise','I am getting married, means I need raise',...'Your under 21 and disposable' other comments to push you down...
How can you justify the pay for a 50 year old degreed, and a 20 year old doing 2x as better?
Is the BMW, Lexus, owner looking for women? The car repair history is 2x.
Why is my pay low but I did the 10 hour shift?
Did someone say the overtime pay makes up for it, but a rule says its in the pre-schedule plus its under 40 hours; your a regular 20 to 32 hour person.
neil signo

Burlingame, CA

#6 Apr 8, 2010
someone said an honor student needs to be charitable and kind.
there's a problem if the system pushed aside the honor student for remedial students to enter UC and Stanford.
I say its ok, just like the teacher said 'your wasting my time honor roll dropout'. we help EOE and problem children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foster City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Please oppose re-zoning of Edgewater Place Shop... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Foster City Citizen 1
News Speier: 'Elaborate ingenuity' needed to tackle ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Angel Nicholson 1
News Editorial: No denying it: Climate change is her... (May '14) May '14 Angel Nicholson 1
Review: Northwest Protective Services (Apr '14) Apr '14 Anthony 1
News Good News: Birth announcements (Mar '14) Mar '14 Steve jobs 1
News Mercury News editorial: San Mateo and Santa Cla... (Oct '13) Nov '13 Roy Benten 2
wow! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Velma Moran 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Foster City Mortgages