Fake 'trees' among ideas to fight glo...

Fake 'trees' among ideas to fight global warming

There are 18 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Mar 16, 2007, titled Fake 'trees' among ideas to fight global warming. In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

Crazy-sounding ideas for saving the planet are getting a serious look from top scientists, a sign of their fears about global warming and the desire for an insurance policy in case things get worse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

Tenn hillbilly

Round O, SC

#1 Mar 17, 2007
i got some good ideas to...just get uncle sam to send me 1 million for every idea i can come up with...i smell some scientists conning the tax payer out of millions..pay or cook

“My smile can brighten a room ”

Since: Dec 06

#2 Mar 19, 2007
Let nature run its course! Dont interfere with MOther Nature or she'll turning it against us all!!
curly Q

United States

#3 Mar 19, 2007
Jinny wrote:
Let nature run its course! Dont interfere with MOther Nature or she'll turning it against us all!!
Mother nature has been interfered with.And shes fighting back to rid herself of these parasites(us).There are too many of us.Over 6 billion!Mother earth can only support so much.
curly Q

United States

#4 Mar 19, 2007
Will fake trees give off fake air to breathe?

#5 Mar 19, 2007
I hear ya point ... but I know that "technology" can't save global warming and nature. It jus' cant' so LEAVE IT ALONE!!!
R Wells - La Marque TX

United States

#6 May 3, 2007
Here are a few serious ideas to combat global warming, either by preservation or action. Will it be inconvenient?.. probably.. but the consequences of doing nothing are too great to ignore.
1. Outlaw unsolicited paper junkmail from being sent to your mailbox at home or office, imagine how many trees would be saved.
2. Presently, many companies manuafacture items to be obsolete in a very short time because it's good for their pocketbooks. Encourage companies to make products that LAST as well as make parts available to repair products instead of throwing them in a landfill.
3. Encourage telecommuting, which means less office space that needs to be built, climate controlled, and cleaned, as well as saves on fuel consumption from commuting.
4. Lobby or write congressmen and legislators to consider more drastic steps to fight global warming, not just ideas that allow the wealthy and powerful to keep everything the way it is economically and all of their luxuries.
5. Stop wasting power, food, and water immediately... all of us! This is a huge step that is easier said than done. We've become accustomed to excesses and disposable wealth to the point it is ridiculous.
6. Insist on higher fuel economy standards from auto manufacturers. Don't buy the gas guzzlerz just because you think it boosts your image.
7. Convert auto's and gas stations across the major consumtion countries to E85 ethanol. It's completely doable over reasonable amounts of time.
8. Insist industrial companies convert to cleaner burning fossil fuels or take a hike. Other ideas will not be enough if they keep spewing obscene amounts of pollution into the air.
9. Vigilantly preserve undeveloped agricultural land we have left, which isnt much. Plant more trees.
10. Stop imprisoning people for smalltime crimes. A nation of prisons is very costly to maintain in terms of money as well as precious resources to pursue, try, and incarcerate. Imprison only those that truly deserve it for more serious offenses.
I have more, but these are the top 10 that came to mind.

#7 May 3, 2007
12. Ban Al Gore from owning 4 homes, a fleet of SUV's and private airplanes, and from speaking in public
13. tell the Thais, Indians, and others to clean up their cities and filthy pollution or shut up .

Commerce City, CO

#8 May 3, 2007
R Wells - a few comments, your thoughts would be appreciated.

I think most of your suggestions are valid, and as a global warming skeptic, I still feel that they would help make the world a better place. That being said, I have a problem with #7 (ethanol) and #9 (land preservation). The two simply do not agree.

In order to produce that quantity of ethanol, huge amounts of virgin land will need to be bulldozed and turned to farmland. Otherwise we will simply not be able to feed and power our nation at the same time. You are gunna have to pick one, either land preservation or virgin soils turned to farmland, because both simply can not exist.

Secondly, and more minor of a point. I drive a small 4x4 vehicle (Jeep Wrangler) not because of image, but because I have to. I live where it snows nine months a year, and work in a environment where I frequently travel unmaintained roads. I NEED the 4x4, and a Subaru won't cut it. So I am just asking that you do not lump all SUV owners into the same boat; some people buy it to boost thier image, some of us can't live without one.
R Wells - La Marque TX

United States

#9 May 3, 2007
Point taken on the SUV's, I dont group them into one pool, mainly I'm against buying something like that if you don't really need it.

On the land, even if it's converted to farmland it is still vegetation, not concrete and steel... and since it's product would be replacing a product that is much dirtier to produce and burn, it seemed to me it would be better /shrug. This idea might need some tweaking though, I see what you mean :)

I'm trying to think of things that could be feasable, make a significant difference, and many peeps might (one day) be willing to try. Thanks for the feedback, I see some ideas I've had need work still :)

Vero Beach, FL

#10 May 3, 2007
I am curious about something. Do scientist know if co2 increases heat or if heat increases co2?
R Wells - La Marque TX

United States

#11 May 4, 2007
Here's an article that will help answer that, it's kind of long but intersting. Methane is also a greenhouse gas hehe.
R Wells - La Marque TX

United States

#12 May 4, 2007
Grr forgot link sorry.. here it is

#13 May 4, 2007
Brejamin wrote:
I am curious about something. Do scientist know if co2 increases heat or if heat increases co2?
the very graph that big Al Gore stood explaining SHOWS that the CO2 was lagging behind the temperature by 800 years. Seems they can't tell cause from effect, but they just deny using those figures. The warmies are like jellyfish if you try to pin them down.

#14 May 4, 2007
good stuff

Hollywood, FL

#15 May 4, 2007
Ok i read it and seen the same stuff al gore says but i guess my next question should be obvious though i dont think many have asked it.

How do you capture carbon and methane in ice that isnt freezing as much as it use to?
R Wells - La Marque TX

Houston, TX

#16 May 5, 2007
The ice cores they drill are pretty deep. I'm thinking the deeper ice is more solid than ice at the surface, until it reaches extreme depths, I read on some reports it actually flows slightly like cold tar.

“"Eatin' Ain't Cheatin!"”

Since: Sep 06

Thompson's Station, Tn

#17 May 5, 2007
A little off the subject but I have benn in construction and dabbled in different types of heating systems. I am a firm believer in insulating and passive solar. I lived in an area, Ohio, where there is little sun. I had an active solar hot water system and played with geothermal. The best bang for the buck was insulating with passive solar. Uncle sam will need to figure a way to tax the sun.
R Wells - La Marque TX

United States

#18 May 6, 2007
CFC's and R-12 Freon are both good examples of how awareness and policy can make a difference. Those have been under control and amounts in our atmosphere greatly reduced for some time now. CO2 and Methane CAN be reduced also, however it's apparently a more difficult challenge than CFC's and R-12 were.

M Hillbilly: right-on :) If anything, solar and wind power can supplement your power needs and get you a much cheaper electric bill.. I'm not very familiar with passive solar insulation you speak of, but it sounds like a great idea as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Foster City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Redwood City: Seven-story housing complex going... Sun nita singler 1
Frank Sibillo - Hair Dresser Mar 13 Thor Arnold 1
News SJ Robbery Suspects Lead Police On Chase Throug... (Oct '08) Mar 9 lilspice 19
Customer service at Topix Mar 8 Texas 10 4
News How can recall opponents save judge in Stanford... Feb 27 Anna Cumella 1
Review: Senior Helpers (Mar '16) Jan '17 crkessler 4
News Baby falls from open 3rd-story window in Foster... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Lavanya 1

Foster City Jobs

Personal Finance

Foster City Mortgages