Doo Nanny now $10.00 to get in!

Posted in the Fortson Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Smith Station Panthers

Smiths Station, AL

#1 Jan 30, 2013
I think by charging a admission it loses the folksy and bohemian nature that once defined this festival and has become a way for someone to make money instead of a gathering of free spirited former and wannabe hippies, over the hill hipsters and unkempt smelly characters.

Shame that money always wins out.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“The undiscovered country... ”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

#2 Jan 30, 2013
Smith Station Panthers wrote:
I think by charging a admission it loses the folksy and bohemian nature that once defined this festival and has become a way for someone to make money instead of a gathering of free spirited former and wannabe hippies, over the hill hipsters and unkempt smelly characters.
Shame that money always wins out.
Yes, sorry, Doo-Nanny is now $10 admission to help cover costs of putting the shindig on.

That's a pretty small price to pay for an entire weekend of art, music and eclectic entertainment.

Here's the official information of Doo-Nanny 2013:

http://doo-nanny.com/

Outsider Folk Art Event

March 29 - March 31, 2013

Doo-Nanny

Begun as a roadside folk art show in 1996, the Doo-Nanny is now located on a beautiful 80 acre farm in Seale, AL, near Columbus, Ga, and includes a wacky "lo-fi" film festival, fun food, and an eclectic assortment of music and activities. Camping is limited and we suggest planning ahead.

......start tying stuff to your roof now.......

Come all ye inventors, movie makers, ballerinas, bikers, morticians, bakers, artists, conspiracy theorists, scientists, foodies, eco-whatevers, moonshiners, comedians, fire-spinners, yodelers, he-shes, animal-trainers, pickle-makers, party girls, sock monkeys, stackers, jugglers, musicians, whittlers, spankers, fisherpersons, beggers, wanderers, and map-makers.......

New this Year!....Krewes!....Sign up for a Krewe. It’s fun and easy.....find out more under the INFO tab!(or click here)

Admission and Camping

Admission to the Doo-Nanny is $10 per person.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,
burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across
the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and
everybody goes "Awww!" -Jack Kerouac

--
"Idle Hour Night" / Shadowville All-Stars 2013:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Columbus, GA

#4 Jan 30, 2013
Port o Lets wrote:
The money must be to cover the rental of port-o-lets. Dopesick people go in their clothes so this may be worth the ten bucks.
The money will obviously go for any number of costs that putting on a festival the size and quality of Doo-Nanny bring, not to mention paying the performers a bit from the profits.

All in all, the $10 admission charge is an excellent idea and should have been done from the start.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Local

Americus, GA

#6 Jan 30, 2013
I know I am not going, how ridiculous is this.
Why do you think they are doing this Panther?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Columbus, GA

#7 Jan 30, 2013
Twenty People wrote:
Everyone says twenty people max should be the number of people who attend this year resulting from the ADMISSION FEE BOYCOTT.
BOYCOTT DOONANNY ADMISSION FEE DON'T GO!
Spread the word about the boycott!
Not attending is art itself.
And music.
The sound of silence from no one attending because of the Boycott.
BOYCOTT DOONANNY!
That could be interesting, see what you can do, and don't neglect North Carolina, Texas and New York City, among the places the largers number of visitors hail from at Doo-Nanny... these festivals have always been more recognized by folks in other areas than the locals, anyhow.

Meanwhile, here's something you won't boycott, because you know you can't help but watch... video archives of the Columbus-Phenix City music scene, one loaded with talented singers, songwriters, musicians and performers.

Here's three of those, for example... I challenge you to try and call their creative works and original songs excellent without making yourself a liar.

As I posted earlier, which I note you've pretended not to see...
Here are some individual examples of local singer-songwriters who, in my opinion, are creating some quality work, and put on a great performance, and very legitimate musicians:

Riley Yielding:
http://www.youtube.com/user/RusticViewer07/vi...

Bibb City Ramblers:

Fiddlers Blues Band:

The above performers in the Columbus-Phenix City music scene are great examples of why this poll is bogus... there's a wealth of talent in the Chattahoochee Valley.

Heck, you might even manage to list a couple someday... heh.

--
"Over You" / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_132...
Smiths Station Panthers

Smiths Station, AL

#8 Jan 31, 2013
Local wrote:
I know I am not going, how ridiculous is this.
Why do you think they are doing this Panther?
The whole mantra of these type events is like a counterculture movement against the conformity of society but they aren't any different, if fact they are worse because they stand for something yet do the opposite (sound familar??) but in reality they are just looking to sell it to who ever will pay $10.00.
Like I said there is nothing at Doo Nanny that is worth $10.00, nothing.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Druid Hills Commando

Mcdonough, GA

#9 Jan 31, 2013
Yeah it sucks when folks start only thinking about the money. Never been to that event and never will go now either.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Columbus, GA

#10 Jan 31, 2013
Druid Hills Commando wrote:
Yeah it sucks when folks start only thinking about the money. Never been to that event and never will go now either.
Yes, sorry, Doo-Nanny is now $10 admission to help cover costs of putting the shindig on.

That's a pretty small price to pay for an entire weekend of art, music and eclectic entertainment.

Here's the official information of Doo-Nanny 2013:

http://doo-nanny.com/

Outsider Folk Art Event
March 29 - March 31, 2013
Doo-Nanny

Begun as a roadside folk art show in 1996, the Doo-Nanny is now located on a beautiful 80 acre farm in Seale, AL, near Columbus, Ga, and includes a wacky "lo-fi" film festival, fun food, and an eclectic assortment of music and activities. Camping is limited and we suggest planning ahead.
......start tying stuff to your roof now.......
Come all ye inventors, movie makers, ballerinas, bikers, morticians, bakers, artists, conspiracy theorists, scientists, foodies, eco-whatevers, moonshiners, comedians, fire-spinners, yodelers, he-shes, animal-trainers, pickle-makers, party girls, sock monkeys, stackers, jugglers, musicians, whittlers, spankers, fisherpersons, beggers, wanderers, and map-makers.......
New this Year!....Krewes!....Sign up for a Krewe. It’s fun and easy.....find out more under the INFO tab!(or click here)
Admission and Camping

Admission to the Doo-Nanny is $10 per person.

"The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live,
mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time,
the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn,
burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across
the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and
everybody goes "Awww!" -Jack Kerouac

--
"Idle Hour Night" / Shadowville All-Stars 2013:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/... \

Columbus, GA

#11 Jan 31, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>

Like I said there is nothing at Doo Nanny that is worth $10.00
In your opinion, of course... a good thing many others do not agree, and those that do, like you, can just stay home or find something else of interest to do.

Fair enough?

--
Ashes To Justice / Will Dockery & Sandy Madaris

Columbus, GA

#12 Jan 31, 2013
Smiths Station Panthers wrote:
<quoted text>

The whole mantra of these type events is like a counterculture movement against the conformity of society but they aren't any different
In that, for example, the Doo-Nanny still has to pay for electricity for lights, there is running water at Doo-Nanny now and that costs, there's food and drinks of some sort in the kitchen area at all times that many of the regulars donate to but many others just eat and walk, and the list goes on and on.

If Doo-Nanny isn't of interest, fine, and if the $10 admission is too much for you to afford, sorry, but there has to be a charge at these festival events to help cover costs, that's just a fact o life in the modern world, and you look pretty silly making such an issue of it.

But you're just posting under an anonymous name so there's no problem with that, right?

Anyway... thanks for giving even more publicity to the Doo-Nanny, and the fact that admission is ONLY ten bucks.

A very low price for a weekend of music and entertainment.

--

Columbus, GA

#14 Jan 31, 2013
His latest poem wrote:
REASONS TO NOT GO TO THE EVENTS HE IS AT
1.His poem just posted with the line. "SHE'S JUST A LITTLE FEMALE FOOL". 2.And his song sexually abusing women TRUCK STOP WOMAN.
3.Up the skirt SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF album cover.
The loudest Doonanny proponent.
Says it is a family wholesome bunch of poets and musicians.
No way anybody I know is going.
Read his poems and song lyrics. View his links. Watch him recite and sing em'.
Heh... yeah, maybe you'd have a better weekend staying at home and watching a football game or something.

Thanks for dropping by, and have a nice day.

--

Columbus, GA

#16 Jan 31, 2013
Women Abused wrote:
Ladies. Remember you might get looked at like a TRUCK STOP WOMAN or "SHE'S JUST A LITTLE FEMALE FOOL." As if a female fool is a level lower than a male fool. Women are seen as objects by some people. Attention women readers stand up for your dignity. This forum is ruled by a woman dominator.
Or in your case... an anonymous fool.

Heh... and again, thanks for dropping by, and have a nice day.

--
Druid Hills Commando

Mcdonough, GA

#17 Jan 31, 2013
His latest poem wrote:
REASONS TO NOT GO TO THE EVENTS HE IS AT
1.His poem just posted with the line. "SHE'S JUST A LITTLE FEMALE FOOL". 2.And his song sexually abusing women TRUCK STOP WOMAN.
3.Up the skirt SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF album cover.
The loudest Doonanny proponent.
Says it is a family wholesome bunch of poets and musicians.
No way anybody I know is going.
Read his poems and song lyrics. View his links. Watch him recite and sing em'.
Ha ha ha, this is some funny stuff right here
Ol Will don't have to try to hard to make an ass out of himself.
If everyone at DooNanny is the same as him it might be like observing the residents of an insane asylum,

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Columbus, GA

#19 Jan 31, 2013
Druid Hills Commando wrote:
<quoted text>

If everyone at Doo-Nanny is the same as him
You really don't know anything about Doo-Nanny, Commando?

Here's the NYT article on Doo-Nanny, only ten dollars for three days of entertainment, a world class art and music event years ago:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/garden/08do...

"...LIKE a medieval village, Butch Anthony’s 80-acre family compound is a self-contained universe, and every inch of it is an expression of his prodigious creative spirit. It makes a tempting destination for folk art aficionados, as well as the sort of art world tourists who’ve already ticked Marfa, Tex., or Joshua Tree, in the California desert, off their lists. Mr. Anthony, a lanky and laconic 46-year-old who dresses exclusively in Liberty denim overalls (he owns 25 pairs) and a battered straw hat (he has 10), is a self-taught artist, builder and local hero, whom the state of Alabama once chose to make a Christmas tree ornament for the White House — the Bush 43 version. He is also the host of the Doo Nanny..."

"...Like Burning Man, the extreme art fair held each summer in the Nevada desert, the Doo Nanny offers both a burning effigy and an exercise in creative camping. Mr. Anthony has thoughtfully provided a tepee, an outdoor kitchen, a solar-powered shower, outhouses and a wood-fueled hot tub, all built from and decorated with the sort of handmade trash-into-art pieces — ethereal chandeliers pieced together with cow bones and twigs gnawed by beavers — that are his specialty. It now attracts an intrepid crowd of makers and their fans who gather on the last weekend in March not only to show their work — and sell some, too, if they’re lucky — but to hang out with like-minded friends and partake of Mr. Anthony’s particular brand of Southern hospitality, which is certainly as homespun and country as his accent, but has an impish, renegade backbeat. It is also a chance to see Mr. Anthony on his own, very atmospheric, turf."

No, Doo-Nanny isn't for eveyone... but who would /want/ it to be?

And of course the $$$ will go to the organizers... most likey to Butch Anthony, who owns the farm Doo-Nanny takes place on.

I think this notion that Doo-Nanny should remain "free" is a bit silly, and I wager most other folks will, as well.

--

Columbus, GA

#20 Jan 31, 2013
Disbelief wrote:
Suspension of Disbelief. Can you believe that guy has an attache-brief case sitting on the stage he sells his CDs out of. On the cover is him drooling looking up a woman's dress. On the back a picture of him disrespecting a preacher's sermon. And they foist this mess as wholesome and family oriented. He says he sold the CD for twenty years out of that attache-brief case. Scary folks.
TRUCK STOP WOMAN lyrics are abominable to the treatment of women. Now the new poem lashing SHE'S JUST A LITTLE FEMALE FOOL.
The cover of SUSPENTION OF DISBELIEF is nasty. The back cover disrespects church.
Yeah, we grew up in the days when album cover art was bold and controversial, as the class ones from The Rolling Stones and their ilk.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out... the music inside is even better!

--

Since: Dec 12

Valley, AL

#21 Jan 31, 2013
Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil played Doo-Nanny the past 2 years. That's worth the $10.

I didn't go last year, though. The Asheville girl tripping on acid and cussing me out for not being weird enough the year before ruined it for me.
Robin

Milner, GA

#22 Jan 31, 2013
Hmmm, gotta stay away from the drugs, always,
From watching the vids it looks like she is not the only one.
Surprising to me that this stuff would go on in rural Alabama though,that may be why they started charging admission, so they could pay off the sheriff not to bust the drug use.
Think about it, just sayin.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Columbus, GA

#24 Feb 1, 2013
Oh yeah wrote:
You know who has a long long sordid story.
The Doo-Nanny story is a long and interesting one, for sure:

Here's the NYT article on Doo-Nanny, only ten dollars for three days of entertainment, a world class art and music event years ago:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/garden/08do...

"...LIKE a medieval village, Butch Anthony’s 80-acre family compound is a self-contained universe, and every inch of it is an expression of his prodigious creative spirit. It makes a tempting destination for folk art aficionados, as well as the sort of art world tourists who’ve already ticked Marfa, Tex., or Joshua Tree, in the California desert, off their lists. Mr. Anthony, a lanky and laconic 46-year-old who dresses exclusively in Liberty denim overalls (he owns 25 pairs) and a battered straw hat (he has 10), is a self-taught artist, builder and local hero, whom the state of Alabama once chose to make a Christmas tree ornament for the White House — the Bush 43 version. He is also the host of the Doo Nanny..."

"...Like Burning Man, the extreme art fair held each summer in the Nevada desert, the Doo Nanny offers both a burning effigy and an exercise in creative camping. Mr. Anthony has thoughtfully provided a tepee, an outdoor kitchen, a solar-powered shower, outhouses and a wood-fueled hot tub, all built from and decorated with the sort of handmade trash-into-art pieces — ethereal chandeliers pieced together with cow bones and twigs gnawed by beavers — that are his specialty. It now attracts an intrepid crowd of makers and their fans who gather on the last weekend in March not only to show their work — and sell some, too, if they’re lucky — but to hang out with like-minded friends and partake of Mr. Anthony’s particular brand of Southern hospitality, which is certainly as homespun and country as his accent, but has an impish, renegade backbeat. It is also a chance to see Mr. Anthony on his own, very atmospheric, turf."

No, Doo-Nanny isn't for eveyone... but who would /want/ it to be?

And of course the $$$ will go to the organizers... most likey to Butch Anthony, who owns the farm Doo-Nanny takes place on.
I think this notion that Doo-Nanny should remain "free" is a bit silly, and I wager most other folks will, as well.

--

Columbus, GA

#25 Feb 1, 2013
Robin wrote:
Hmmm, gotta stay away from the drugs, always,
From watching the vids it looks like she is not the only one.
Surprising to me that this stuff would go on in rural Alabama though,that may be why they started charging admission, so they could pay off the sheriff not to bust the drug use.
Think about it, just sayin.
Or to possibly keep the attendance to just the serious folks?

Anyway, thanks for watching the videos and commenting... those Russel County Sheriff deputies are definitely not the fellows you want to get on the wrong side of, though... heh.

&li st=PL4C8D8F9E92A93EB3

Truck Stop Woman

Pulled into Auburn, Alabama,
it was raining of course.
All I seemed to contemplate besides the weather
what a shame to be divorced.

Truck stop woman waving sideways
she'll be in my dreams tonight.
Fifteen minutes of eternal love
then she's back out of sight.

Rode past Buena Vista,
there was sand in the sky.
Plastic Jesus started trembling
then I seen her with my eyes.

She'll light and warm my dreams tonight
Fifteen dollars worth of true love
man that girl was out of sight.

Something about her was familiar
there was smoke in her eyes.

Back outside of Phoenix City,
pimps and their ilk all around.
Then it turned negative
when I seen her bouncing around.

Fifteen minutes of eternal love
then she's back out of sight.

Fifteen dollars worth of true love
man that girl was out of sight.
She's right back out of sight.

-Will Dockery & Henry Conley

Read more at http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/353082...

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

Columbus, GA

#26 Feb 1, 2013
josh_green wrote:
Doc Dailey & Magnolia Devil played Doo-Nanny the past 2 years. That's worth the $10.
I didn't go last year, though. The Asheville girl tripping on acid and cussing me out for not being weird enough the year before ruined it for me.
Yeah Josh, we both know Doo-Nanny has been having problems that us older regulars notice, but as you say there's happenings and entertainment well worth the measely ten bucks admission Butcg is charging to cover costs and so on.

Here's some Doo-Nanny memories, from the many times I enjoyed performing on the Doo-Nanny stage for the weird little chicks tripping on bad acid...heh.

http://youtu.be/qBhcN1WK144

Red Lipped Stranger

Her creep crawls
the narrow stairway
of the Candlelight Motel
to watch for her
from a window.

Rethinking
his infatuation
but clinging
to his vision of her
as the red lipped stranger.

Downstairs
the desk clerk's cat
slithers through
the service entrance.

The vampirate
on a motorbike
passes below
to the westbound bridge
werewolf on her back.

Jennifer at riverbend
watches gunboats
smacks her foot
on the bright red clay.

Jennifer gives good lyric
she wrote this poem
she's no bum.

But she's not there
on the other side
of the greenish wall.

Through a three-inch-wall
he hears
bedsprings rattle
rustle of dry-hump,
some guy's mumbles.

Hears the fat blonde waitress
whip it in bondage
the sounds
lull him to sleep.

The hand of Uncle Sugar
still taking notes
as a new standard bearer
hands out trophies
to the winners.

His trillion dollar gash
flakes from the bone
as gravity tears
a pound of dust.

Clings to a picture book
the missing part of himself
as if perpetually
anchored
to his invisible erection.

At Lucky Seven Lounge
she tries
not to reveal herself
but she stubbornly clutches
her empty shoes.

Something
seems missing
in the broad daylight
when the details
are displayed.

All that remains are
her flat black hat
her oversized lantern
her broken laptop.

No poor boy on the street
can speak of her
or the island on the river.
Or about her return...
her resurrection.

-Will Dockery

Red Lipped Stranger by Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars / Written by Will Dockery, Brian Mallard & Henry Conley / Vocals - Will Dockery / Vocals - Gini Woolfolk / Guitar - Brian Mallard / Art - Gary Frankfurth / Produced by Robbie Wright © 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fortson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Racism? 1 hr David53g 1
Muscogee Creek Indian History (Part One) Sat Will Dockery 10
Poll Who has the best hamburger in Columbus? (Mar '13) Sat Columbus Pepper 48
Poll Who has the best Sushi in Columbus? Sat Columbus Pepper 1
News Important Spring Break safety tips Sat Reality 3
Amazon.com- An Online Company of SCAM ARTISTS- ... Fri Truth B Told 2
News Funeral arrangements set for Autumn Steele Mar 25 Will Dockery 1
Fortson Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web