Ark. city sues Pilgrim's Pride over i...

Ark. city sues Pilgrim's Pride over idled plant

There are 20 comments on the KVIA-TV El Paso story from Jun 1, 2009, titled Ark. city sues Pilgrim's Pride over idled plant. In it, KVIA-TV El Paso reports that:

The city of Clinton is suing Pilgrim's Pride Corp. for $28.5 million in federal court, accusing the poultry processor of potentially turning the city into a ghost town by idling its plant there.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KVIA-TV El Paso.

plant mechanic

Monticello, AR

#1 Jun 1, 2009
Good for you city of Clinton. At least you're doing something. Why did it take so long ?
old chicken farmer

Camden, AR

#2 Jun 3, 2009
I applaud the effort on the part of the city of Clinton. Maybe all the other cities that have been adversely affected by this greedy corporation will do the same and bring down these rich arrogant tyrants. Putting old Bo Pilgrim and his self-serving board of directors out of business would send a clear message to these large poultry integrators that you can't just treat people as if they don't exist. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
Proud Chicken Worker

United States

#3 Jun 3, 2009
Perhaps if this location was operating efficently, it would have never been shut down. Should GM be sued for the ghost towns it is about to produce for closing their plants?
carolyn c ellijay ga

Cartersville, GA

#4 Jun 3, 2009
Proud Chicken Worker wrote:
Perhaps if this location was operating efficently, it would have never been shut down. Should GM be sued for the ghost towns it is about to produce for closing their plants?
You probably are hispanic ,right? that is the only people working there or any other chicken plant.thats alright .guess what will happen in the next two weeks? read my postes .I have been right so far. RUN FOR THE BORDER!! OOOOOH BABY!! BETTER RUN FOR THE BOOORDER!!! I love to sing .that is for all you wet backs out there!!! LOL! LOL
plant mechanic

Monticello, AR

#5 Jun 3, 2009
The Clinton plant had been in operation for close to 50 years. It always made a profit under previous owners. It was very profitable under Con Agra Frozen Foods ownership. Ineffiency started under Pilgrim's management. Pilgrim's preferred vendor program is a good example.
old chicken farmer

Wilmar, AR

#6 Jun 4, 2009
Let's not forget the REAL reason for Pilgrim's Pride being in bankruptcy. It was not that of ineffiency, but rather bad management decisions by Bo Pilgrim and Pilgrim's board of directors. Try to remember that it was the unrelenting quest on the part of it's founder and majority share holder, Bo Pilgrim, to become the largest poultry in North America that put this company in dire financial shape. Bo Pilgrim borrowed $1.3 billion in order to buy Gold Kist and surpass Tyson. And then to top it off, hedged on grain prices when they were at their peak leading to the financial collapse of Pilgrim's Pride. It had nothing to do with plants being ineffiencent!! Pilgrim is just shutting down those that are not performing at the top level down in order to reduce the amount of chicken on the market. LISTEN FOLKS, it is called MARKET MANIPULATION, which is illegal and the whole bunch,(Bo Pilgrim, Ray Atchinson, Don Jackson, and the rest of the board) should be in jail right along with Bernie Madoff. All of this could have been avoided if Bo had been willing to relinquish some of his market share and thereby avoiding the need for bankruptcy. But he didn't and put many lives in a state of turmoil. It was Bo first and the hell with everybody else. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
Proud Chicken Worker

United States

#7 Jun 4, 2009
Its simple economincs people.'Old Chicken Farmer' do you think we should also put GM people in jail? They are about to do the same thing. Tell me what the difference is?
Proud Chicken Worker

United States

#8 Jun 4, 2009
Oh, and I am not hispanic,plant mechanic.
x-WORKER

Higden, AR

#9 Jun 4, 2009
I would be worried if i were you proud chicken worker. Old Bo will get around to you guys in texas sooner or later. Then who will be crying.BOYCOTT ALL OF PILGRIMS PRIDE PRODUCTS...I live in clinton and I work at the plant and we were operating efficently. How long before OLd BO decide that mount pleasant is not operating efficently. just a little something for to think about proud chicken worker. Then what will you and the hispanic do...
Proud chicken worker

United States

#10 Jun 5, 2009
The layoffs hit Pittsburg and Mt.Pleasant a while back. There is no need to shut down the plant here because it is very profitable. This whole thing is ridiculous.
old chicken farmer

Wilmar, AR

#11 Jun 5, 2009
Its simple economincs people.'Old Chicken Farmer' do you think we should also put GM people in jail? They are about to do the same thing. Tell me what the difference is?
Ok, I will tell you the difference. It is not illegal to file for bankruptcy. It is however illegal to viloate federal fuel tax, environmental, labor, and immigration laws. And it is "ridiculous" if anyone in their right mind doesn't think Pilgrim's Pride isn't guilty of all of the above. Add to that the violations of the Stockyard & Packers, which govern agricultural markets, and the whole bunch should be put in jail. Oh and let's not forget the suit the share holders have brought against Bo Pilgrim and his board of directors for insider trading. Don't forget, they put Martha Stewart in jail for much less than these crooks have done. Come on now, you can't be that uninformed. But on the other hand, I can understand you are trying to hold onto you precious job. But for me, this company and it's ruthless tactics have turned my family's life upside down. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
bankrupt soon

Wilmar, AR

#12 Jun 5, 2009
you are absolutly right old chicken farmer. everybody knows they are a bunch of crooks
old chicken farmer

Marshall, TX

#13 Jun 6, 2009
It never ceases to amaze me how some people like "Proud chicken worker" comment on issues in which they have failed to educate themself and are completely ignorant of the facts. The facts are, Pilgrim's Pride shut down facalities in an attempt to manipulate the price of low value commodity chicken. With the acquisition of Gold Kist, Pilgrim's Pride controls 50% of this particular market and they are trying desperately to raise the price by shutting down plants that produce this product by shutting down plants. The former CEO, Clint Rivers, the present CEO, Don Jackson, and Pilgrim's spokesman, Ray Athinson have said on numerous occasions that this was their plan. When approached by potential buyers of these closed plants, they have been quoated as saying, "selling these facalities would not alleviate the underlying problem of the over-supply of low value commodity chicken on the market". It's simple economics, Pilgrim's want to manipulate the price of chicken which is in direct violation of Packers & Standards Act, 7 U.S.C. 192(a)-(e) that clearly states it is unlawful to commit acts intended to manipulate the price of chicken. Pilgrim's Pride is willing to sacrifice growers, workers, and entire communities in order for them to make a buck. If you think this company care about you or your family, you are naive. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
old chicken farmer

Warren, AR

#14 Jun 6, 2009
I've been corresponding with growers in Siler City, N.C., El Dorado Ark., and Clinton Ark. and there seems to be an overwhelming desire to meet in Pittsburg, Texas or Mt. Pleasant, Texas to protest the actions of Pilgrim's Pride Corporation toward it's independent growers. It wouldn't hurt anything in my humble opinion and maybe we can finally bring some national attention to the ruthless tactics of this company. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
windy day

Cartersville, GA

#15 Jun 8, 2009
old chicken farmer wrote:
<quoted text> Ok, I will tell you the difference. It is not illegal to file for bankruptcy. It is however illegal to viloate federal fuel tax, environmental, labor, and immigration laws. And it is "ridiculous" if anyone in their right mind doesn't think Pilgrim's Pride isn't guilty of all of the above. Add to that the violations of the Stockyard & Packers, which govern agricultural markets, and the whole bunch should be put in jail. Oh and let's not forget the suit the share holders have brought against Bo Pilgrim and his board of directors for insider trading. Don't forget, they put Martha Stewart in jail for much less than these crooks have done. Come on now, you can't be that uninformed. But on the other hand, I can understand you are trying to hold onto you precious job. But for me, this company and it's ruthless tactics have turned my family's life upside down. BOYCOTT PILGRIM'S PRIDE products.
your right,you know what your talking about.
plant mechanic

Monticello, AR

#16 Aug 29, 2009
The Clinton plant will soon have it's one year anniversary of being " idled ". I drove by the plant recently and it looks much like it did the day it was shut down. Don't know anything about the inside though. Some ex-employees have found local jobs but at lower pay than the Pilgrim's jobs. Other ex-employees have already moved from the area in a search for jobs. Local growers are surviving on their natural gas royalty checks or selling off parts of their farms to stay afloat. There was a local businessman trying to reopen the plant but all that has died out. It looks like it's all over for the poultry industry in this area.
Dakota

United States

#17 Sep 4, 2009
Bo deserves whatever he gets for being a self serving SOB. He signed a new contract with the union in Athens Alabama one week and the very next told them he was idling the plant. BO wants to move a full operation plant that makes money to a Russellville plant that runs at half operation. They are bringing people in from Russellville to show them how to do jobs that will be moving from Athens. I think this is a ploy to destroy the Union. Russellville is a non union plant. Pilgrims Pride is the largest employer in Limestone County. Bo and the Board member need to remember "God doesn't like ugly and what goes around comes around."
old chicken farmer

Wilmar, AR

#18 Sep 4, 2009
It seems as if "ole" Bo is going to take the money and run. If JBS buys out Pilgrim's Pride, as reported in WSJ, there maybe more plant closures and more independent growers without contracts. Bo Pilgrim decisions has sunk this ship and he's kicking women and children out of the life boat in order to make room for himself.
PRIDE WORKER

Arlington, TX

#19 Sep 14, 2009
I WORK FOR THEM HERE IN ARLINGTON. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS OVER WORKED AND UNDER PAYED
plant mechanic

Monticello, AR

#20 Oct 4, 2009
I was told today by a former govt. inspector that the Clinton plant will be remodeled and set up for
" further beef processing". Has anyone heard anything about this ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Worth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Change the name of the town Sun mcguiretx12 5
News Fort Worth's Marvin Electronics to close after ... (Jan '12) Sun mcguiretx12 6
Review: Texas Health Methodist Hospital Fort Worth Oct 17 FORT WORTH TX HOS... 1
Legalize it already. . . Oct 17 DFW NORML Member 1
GE Erie plant babies Oct 17 Northwonthewar 5
News Viral video shows suspect snatching womana s pu... Oct 16 Nissa 2
News Love, not hate, ran deep at Gay Pride Parade in... Oct 13 Dana Arnn 4

Fort Worth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Worth Mortgages