Dr. Tim Carson resigns from UCC
UCC

United States

#81 Aug 3, 2009
Give the poor guy a break. Harlots tend break mens hearts in the end.
UCC

United States

#82 Aug 3, 2009
Randy. We raised a family at UCC years ago taught journey land etc. Rev Pennybacker had an affair. Sad but true. Scott... well... Scott was Scott. These posters like you have been hurt by UCC. We remember when 3000 would attend each Sunday for years. Mr Clines family is in the music ministry. These posters are simply stating facts. UCC has also burned down twice. We dont know why UCC has had so much drama. Don't blame the posters. Most have moved on and are simply sharing their experiences. UCC seems to stumbles every few years. Just catch it again on the uptick. The last straw for us was when we became aware of hanky panky in the choir ranks. We called it quits then for our families well being. Be of good cheer and may God bless and protect you and those you care for.
Roy Gover

Grand Prairie, TX

#83 Aug 3, 2009
I too was heartbroken at the resignation of Tim Carson and was disappointed in our leadership that caused and allowed that to happen,however, I continue to love UCC. I do not have a problem with female ministers. Ours are called by God to serve God's people. If this is a problem for you as it seems to be for one of the posters, you simply belong in another congregation and another denomination. UCC is full of sinners and isn't that a good thing. Those of you who have been hurt at UCC and decided to move on, may God bless. There are many at UCC who love the Lord and UCC is our place to worship and serve.
UCC

United States

#84 Aug 3, 2009
Roy has a point... the Scpritures teach that Christ let the Wheat grow with the Weeds. Just know that is the case and you will not be suprised. UCC is a pretty place and Holy Spirit should be able to protect.
Culture Wars

United States

#85 Aug 4, 2009
I find it interesting that many of these posts simply reflect the biases of their authors - using this particular issue to restate their own perspectives about theology, church life and the relationship between religion and culture. For example, they always relate UCC's troubles to some infidelity, the role of women, being too secular, not biblical enough, etc. ad infinitum. The truth is that the authors have certain positions that need an outlet - in the face of congregational conflict they finally have a reason to justify themselves. Let me say from experience, fundamentalist churches are not free from their own excesses and the savaging of pastors or members. They have all manner of scandals involving sex, power and money. Must we list them? If you want the perfect example of cultural christianity, people who are gather together around their own social values and treasured way of life, just stroll over to Christ Chapel. The Junior League at prayer. The upwardly mobile, well-heeled social elite of Ft. Worth in their Sunday best. Enough of the simple-minded statements that attribute failure to some accomodation to culture - that IS the sin of of the religious right. Remember that the interior dynamics of most congregations - liberal, conservative or other - have less to do with what's going on with Jesus than with the ways that power is tossed around and how preachers are either reviled or revered in their congregations. We live in a time of tremendous self-centered fear and anger when leaders are often crucified by people who are mightily misdirected. When all is said the done the health of UCC will not be determined by whether it heels to the ways of conservative Chritianity, but rather by the way that spiritual community honors its leadership by taking them seriously - more seriously than their own Ft. Worth network of very self-interested, self-serving, self-agrandizing people. In the meantime, if you don't like the approach of UCC or other congregations like it go find your religious life someplace else. You have no monopoly on virtue or truth. You simply have one of the many versions of the faith that have manifested itself through the centuries. Get humble. You're no better, in practice or theology than anyone else. To continue pretending that you are is to continue in the delusions that have held you captive until now. In the meantime many of us will struggle with the faith in this community for reasons other than you cite. And we will do this for our own reasons and not yours.
Long time faithful member

Fort Worth, TX

#86 Aug 4, 2009
Well stated, Culture Wars! You are right on every comment!
A Christian Friend

United States

#87 Aug 4, 2009
Culture Wars wrote:
I find it interesting that many of these posts simply reflect the biases of their authors - using this particular issue to restate their own perspectives about theology, church life and the relationship between religion and culture. For example, they always relate UCC's troubles to some infidelity, the role of women, being too secular, not biblical enough, etc. ad infinitum. The truth is that the authors have certain positions that need an outlet - in the face of congregational conflict they finally have a reason to justify themselves. Let me say from experience, fundamentalist churches are not free from their own excesses and the savaging of pastors or members. They have all manner of scandals involving sex, power and money. Must we list them? If you want the perfect example of cultural christianity, people who are gather together around their own social values and treasured way of life, just stroll over to Christ Chapel. The Junior League at prayer. The upwardly mobile, well-heeled social elite of Ft. Worth in their Sunday best. Enough of the simple-minded statements that attribute failure to some accomodation to culture - that IS the sin of of the religious right. Remember that the interior dynamics of most congregations - liberal, conservative or other - have less to do with what's going on with Jesus than with the ways that power is tossed around and how preachers are either reviled or revered in their congregations. We live in a time of tremendous self-centered fear and anger when leaders are often crucified by people who are mightily misdirected. When all is said the done the health of UCC will not be determined by whether it heels to the ways of conservative Chritianity, but rather by the way that spiritual community honors its leadership by taking them seriously - more seriously than their own Ft. Worth network of very self-interested, self-serving, self-agrandizing people. In the meantime, if you don't like the approach of UCC or other congregations like it go find your religious life someplace else. You have no monopoly on virtue or truth. You simply have one of the many versions of the faith that have manifested itself through the centuries. Get humble. You're no better, in practice or theology than anyone else. To continue pretending that you are is to continue in the delusions that have held you captive until now. In the meantime many of us will struggle with the faith in this community for reasons other than you cite. And we will do this for our own reasons and not yours.
Again, a "... love it or leave it" message. I've always felt this is an invitation that should only be extended by the OWNER of a property. If you don't own it, you don't have the right to evict. On a more sincere note, in my opinion this always comes off as a "...take my toys and go home if you won't play the game I choose"... Everyone has a much right as the next fellow to membership at UCC, and everyone has a moral obligation to speak out against or work toward the correction of what they perceive as unfair or un-Christian.
New UCC member

Fort Worth, TX

#88 Aug 4, 2009
Thank you Culture Wars!! Your comments expressed the feelings of so many of us!! We appreciate your thoughtful words and ideas.
Wow

United States

#89 Aug 5, 2009
We guess these folks enjoy drama and cyclic scandals with little rules. Actually.... UCC sounds alot like a swingers club... where all are free to play. Cool.
A Christian Friend

United States

#90 Aug 5, 2009
Does anyone know where Tim goes from here? I know there was a (pre-planned) trip with some of the actve UCC members that just ended. Did he express a a career-direction decision? Does he still live in Fort Worth?
Holy Cow

United States

#91 Aug 5, 2009
Many posters are simple stating facts. A number of UCC ministers had affairs..choir members too. Holy Cows batmen. Question .. maybe that new UCC "organ" that was install years ago was gender specific? UCC should put the "playing" of that on you-tube. ;) Sorry.. this just too easy a target. What's next.. "don't ask don't tell" and watch your flock journey to Hell.o
UCC

United States

#92 Aug 5, 2009
A Christian Friend wrote:
Does anyone know where Tim goes from here? I know there was a (pre-planned) trip with some of the actve UCC members that just ended. Did he express a a career-direction decision? Does he still live in Fort Worth?
As UCC always preaches..."it's all about the journey" journey on ya'll.. far far away. Barf.:/
Freedom

United States

#93 Aug 5, 2009
Holy Cow wrote:
Many posters are simple stating facts. A number of UCC ministers had affairs..choir members too. Holy Cows batmen. Question .. maybe that new UCC "organ" that was install years ago was gender specific? UCC should put the "playing" of that on you-tube. ;) Sorry.. this just too easy a target. What's next.. "don't ask don't tell" and watch your flock journey to Hell.o
Let Freedom Ringa-Ding-Ding at UCC. Apparently its a "journey" to center of earth.
Long time faithful member

Fort Worth, TX

#94 Aug 5, 2009
I was trying to refrain from responding to this nonsense but it is evidently spreading!
UCC has never had a senior minister who had an affair--ever!!!! Any way, what has this got to do with Tim resigning?

Outright lies are slander! If any one had an affair it was an associate about 20 years or more ago and that person left before it was exposed. People tend to interpret what they think they see after the manner in which they think. Too much gossip is based on that kind of invention rather than knowing the truth.

The Holy Spirit moves in love and building up the faith! If you're not interested in that--find some place else to spew your venom!
UCC

United States

#95 Aug 5, 2009
The truth is the truth. UCC has a busted past and present. Fact. Sorry. The result is evident. You to must have alot invisted at UCC. We are sorry for you. The truth can hurt but it will set you free. Ready set and run...run for freedom. As a "long-time" member... did you simply stand by in denial and watch for 20 years? As long a you and yours were ok....it's all ok? Maybe the "vemon" you image is the result on your own cluelessness and apathy. This is a public forum. All are welcome at the table... remember. Facts are the facts. It is common knowledge. Where were you? Relax... it's "all good" on the journey. All are easily forgiven at UCC.
Saddened

United States

#96 Aug 5, 2009
You know just... a general statement. With so many church folks in general willing to turn a blind eye so the "church home" can appear all good.. doesnt that make churches like UCC vulnerable to abuse and so forth. Arent Decons and Elders to watch over the flock. DENIAL is abuse too. Someone should call a holine like CPS - Church Protective Services and turn in those guilty at UCC. Otherwise UCC is a trap reset to ensnare again like a spiders web. I guess since these safeguard dont exist folks simply stay away for their families safety. There are still those who believe the holocaust did not happen either. Strange and frightening.
Law n Order

United States

#97 Aug 5, 2009
Have you all considered hiring an attorney and filing a class action against UCC for pain & suffering?
Hmmm

United States

#98 Aug 5, 2009
Let God sort them out. It appears like He is in process now. The seeds UCC sowed for years yielded their current state. May the Holy Spirit alone guide those needing comfort. A house build on sand will shift fall and need rebuilding.
Culture Wars

Fort Worth, TX

#99 Aug 6, 2009
The vindictives against UCC simply reflect a religious bias - you just don't want to do church in a certain way. Well, too bad. Others want to live out the gospel differently than you. You pick up your favorite selective themes - like accusations of infidelity, problems with "the journey" (so what if someone wants to use that metaphor?) and judge the place as going to hell. If it has problems, and it does, it's not because of the reasons you list. Just go off to fundamentalist land and enjoy some of their scandals - which are many. The real problems at UCC are internal and not theological as you continue to state. Give it up. You can't control the form of spirituality of others. We frankly don't care if you do or don't like the theological direction of the congregation - we're not asking for your opinion or agreement. The problems that led to this resignation reside elsewhere.
Faithful

AOL

#100 Aug 6, 2009
"Culture Wars" said it so well. Many churches have their problems. Strong churches seek answers and guidance through prayer and ask for knowledge to help solve those problems. That is what the UCC congregation is doing now. Whether we are fundamentalists or more liberal in our beliefs, we all worship the same loving God.

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."
Haven't we all read that somewhere?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Worth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beware of Clay Cooley Automotive (Apr '08) 10 hr crucifiedguy 83
News Man says he renounced Aryan gang membership (Sep '07) 10 hr crucifiedguy 15
News FW Residents: Oncor Took Tree Trimming Too Far (Apr '08) Jul 25 Ticked off in Wea... 88
Sams saloon Jul 25 Old friends 1
Legion Of Doom gang from Paschal High School (Dec '13) Jul 24 Chris Buis 10
Poll what happened to all the original labare dancer... (Jun '10) Jul 21 DallasStorm 266
Tire rotation at Moritz Dodge in Fort Worth Jul 19 Caught_them_red_h... 2

Fort Worth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Worth Mortgages