Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

Full story: PRWeb 8,155
Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ... Full Story
Ms Small

United States

#6127 Jun 18, 2012
steven435 wrote:
<quoted text>HELLO BLAIR ,yes .the page is 227.
Where would I find the "list" that has the brands and lot numbers?
gemgirl

Inverness, FL

#6128 Jun 18, 2012
XBOXKIDS wrote:
MY HUSBAND HAD HERNIA SURGERY IN APRIL 98.
FOR THE LAST 2/3 MONTHS HE HAS HAD A LOT OF PAIN AND BURNING IN THE LOWER PART OF HIS ABDOMINAL I WAS WONDERING IF THIS COULD BE SOME OF THE SYMPTONS?
Just wanted to know if you got any info on this--I was on vacation last week and I got this God awful pain in my abdomen and a spasm and burning pain when I was trying to get off bleechers. I has the sharp pain last night. I had a hernia repair in 1986. I remember getting some type of letter about the mesh used for my surgery but I threw it out as I was feeling fine.
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#6129 Jun 18, 2012
Ms Small wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/Safety/Reca...
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#6130 Jun 18, 2012
Ms Small wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevi ces/Safety/RecallsCorrectionsR emovals/ListofRecalls/ucm21482 1.htm

Counterfeit meshs!
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#6131 Jun 18, 2012
All Meshed Up

Montrose, CO

#6133 Jun 19, 2012
Blair wrote:
<quoted text>
My paper work clearly states the mesh had a foreign body reaction most likely caused by the mesh implant from his previous surgery. Mesh repair is for surgeons who were in the bottom of their class. They are real good at hiding their mistakes and real good at paper work to cover their tracks. Your pathology report will have the truth of any complications resulting from a surgery gone wrong. You are right,you should never let a surgeon put a foreign object in your body. I was also super active before my operation.
The whole idea behind the mesh IS to cause scar tissue to reinforce the abdominal wall in the case of a hernia repair. The problem being is that it continues to cause scar tissue forever...ready begin. My pathology report states the same as yours but it doesn't mean a thing because the manufacturer will say that is what the mesh is supposed to do. Never mind that it never stops making scar tissue for the duration of its stay in your gut.Never mind the fact that your immune system is working overtime to try and rid the body of this foreign object. Never mind the fact that this causes a breakdown of your immune system over time making you more suseptible to infections and sickness. Just never mind! Its not the mesh's fault! Its the Dr or you or the tooth fairy or anything other than the mesh or the manufacturer. Never mind!!!!
All Meshed Up

Montrose, CO

#6134 Jun 19, 2012
Blair wrote:
Steven, your law firm is working with me to find a placement in the category six cases. Only seven more days before Motley Rice has to pass them on to the defendants counsel. Motley Rice is not doing non ring cases. Your firm is going forward with their cases. All meshed up is right, this MDL is not working for the plantiff but the courts and law firms are getting well paid.
Thanks for agreeing with me. I love being right but in this case it just makes me sick to my stomach and my heart. And it just keeps rolling along don't it folks?
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#6135 Jun 20, 2012
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text>The whole idea behind the mesh IS to cause scar tissue to reinforce the abdominal wall in the case of a hernia repair. The problem being is that it continues to cause scar tissue forever...ready begin. My pathology report states the same as yours but it doesn't mean a thing because the manufacturer will say that is what the mesh is supposed to do. Never mind that it never stops making scar tissue for the duration of its stay in your gut.Never mind the fact that your immune system is working overtime to try and rid the body of this foreign object. Never mind the fact that this causes a breakdown of your immune system over time making you more suseptible to infections and sickness. Just never mind! Its not the mesh's fault! Its the Dr or you or the tooth fairy or anything other than the mesh or the manufacturer. Never mind!!!!
All meshed up you had me laughing so hard my adhesions were hurting. You are right that a lot of us will never get justice. In my case the mesh got reversed and the sticky side can in contact with the bowels and a foreign reaction was the result. The bowels feel apart and when the mesh was removed it was stuck to the bowels. The surgeon ended up doing a resection. I am in the same boat as you and i will not give up without a fight. I got a call from Motley Rice and will be phoning today. I will ask guestions about your case and a few more meshs. The unsettled cases are a screw up because there are no law firms handling most cases. Motley Rice has made a deal with Bard/Davol and its over for the rest of us. I am really happy that some received a little money. I just want to clear up one thing about the mesh, it was designed to prevent adhesions and promote tissue growth. From Bard/ Davol site below.

•Two distinctly different sides: Polypropylene Bard® Mesh on one side to promote tissue ingrowth and sub-micronic ePTFE on the other side to minimize adhesions to the prosthesis.
Rejected Researcher

AOL

#6136 Jun 20, 2012
I might be out of line, at saying this BUT one would think the Federal Government would get behind the 8 Ball and put an end to the mesh. Being it was the FDA Branch that allowed the Crap on the market through loopholes, 510(k) programs, grandfather in. Then never really taking the bad mesh off market to begin with.They just recalled it to improve the defects maybe slap a new name on it for approval, So manufactures exscape any penalties. or Fines....etc.... Yet now cut backs to medicaid, SS. Up the age for retirement again. Yet I haven't heard anyone say hey we need to fix the medical departments. Lets look at what is putting many on disability to begin with! Big brother don't care! They get their share of kick backs.
Blair

Charlottetown, Canada

#6137 Jun 20, 2012
Rejected Researcher wrote:
I might be out of line, at saying this BUT one would think the Federal Government would get behind the 8 Ball and put an end to the mesh. Being it was the FDA Branch that allowed the Crap on the market through loopholes, 510(k) programs, grandfather in. Then never really taking the bad mesh off market to begin with.They just recalled it to improve the defects maybe slap a new name on it for approval, So manufactures exscape any penalties. or Fines....etc.... Yet now cut backs to medicaid, SS. Up the age for retirement again. Yet I haven't heard anyone say hey we need to fix the medical departments. Lets look at what is putting many on disability to begin with! Big brother don't care! They get their share of kick backs.
Well said, I put this question to Health Canada workers but as long as the FDA aproves the mesh, that covers their ass. They are collecting a nice income, why rock the boat. Its a simple fix but because the medical companys are so powerfull,goverment looks the other way.
Me again

Mcpherson, KS

#6140 Jun 20, 2012
Trasvaginal Surgical Mesh

Posted: 20 Jun 2012 09:30 AM PDT

A federal judge is allowing the discovery process to resume in the recently consolidated litigation over transvaginal surgical mesh, as new cases continue to be filed by women throughout the United States at a high rate.

All discovery was stayed earlier this year in federal lawsuits filed involving transvaginal mesh products manufactured by American Medical Systems (AMS), Boston Scientific and Ethicon, which were used for surgical repair of pelvic organ prolapse (POP) and female stress urinary incontinence (SUI).

In February 2012, the U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation centralized the lawsuits as part of three different MDLs (multidistrict litigations), assigning the cases to Chief District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin for coordinated pretrial proceedings in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of West Virginia.

A fourth MDL, involving C.R. Bard trasvaginal mesh lawsuits, was previously assigned to Judge Goodwin in October 2010.

All of the lawsuits involve similar allegations that the manufacturers failed to adequately warn consumers or the medical community about the risk of serious complications after transvaginal mesh surgery, including reports of severe pelvic pain, infections and erosion of the mesh through the vaginal wall.

According to a pretrial order (PDF) issued on June 14, Judge Goodwin has agreed to lift the stay on discovery in the newly formed MDLs, indicating that no party has expressed an objection or shown good cause why discovery can not resume. As a result of the order, the parties can move forward with the exchange of information and evidence necessary to prepare the first cases for trial.

Over the four months since the AMS, Boston Scientific and Ethicon MDLs were formed, the number of lawsuits transferred to Judge Goodwin has increased dramatically.

On February 7, when the first cases were transferred into the newly formed MDLs, there were 80 AMS mesh lawsuits, 21 Boston Scientific mesh lawsuits and 35 Ethicon mesh lawsuits. According to conditional transfer orders filed this month, so far an additional 253 AMS cases, 162 Boston Scientific cases and 218 Ethicon cases have been transferred in to the respective MDLs, and there are no signs that the number of lawsuits is slowing down.

With the Bard transvaginal mesh litigation, which started with 21 lawsuits in October 2010, an additional 390 cases have been transferred into the MDL over the past 20 months.

Public awareness about the risk of the complications from vaginal mesh increased last year, after the FDA issued warnings about an growing number of adverse event reports associated with the products. In July 2011, the FDA issued transvaginal mesh warning, indicating that they have been unable to find any evidence that transvaginal mesh kits used for repair of pelvic organ prolapse provide any benefit over other available means of treatment.
Jeff

Las Vegas, NV

#6142 Jun 21, 2012
One day, the doctors who call themselves professionals will pay for the pain they have caused, and all the damage they continue to deny.
Rejected Researcher

AOL

#6145 Jun 21, 2012
It's now three time that I have tried to post and Tpix had choped my posting up what the Fk is going on??????? Do you think I'm a threat to the truth being uncovered???? The Blind Leading the Blind... Maybe surgeongs should also be held responsble.
Rejected Researcher

AOL

#6146 Jun 21, 2012
me again post#6140. I have tried three different time to type a site in that goes to your posting. yet topix will not post it properly???? so type this in search box FDA 510(k) surgery Mesh. One site I was looking at Vaginal Mesh&FDA 510(k)-Chicago-Land-Injury Board. Then check out this Site. Four Medical Implants That Escape FDA Scrutiny-ProPublica April30,2012
becky

Madisonville, KY

#6147 Jun 22, 2012
i had the inglunal hernia repair in 2012 and every since iv been sick at my stomach i was put back in the hospital 4 days after surgery and they could not tell me what was wrong with me, they stated that my liver and panceras was out of wack, and wanted to remove my gallbladder that i had removed years ago. I vomit all the time if i eat im sick and i throw up yellow stuff and my bowels are yellow also. could this be the mesh????? if you have any idea please contact me at beckygunn942@yahoo.com. thanks becky
patty

Springfield, OR

#6148 Jun 22, 2012
Rejected Researcher wrote:
You are not out of line, you are dreaming. As long as there is money to be made the FDA wont do anything to protect consumers.
patty

Springfield, OR

#6149 Jun 22, 2012
help here please.
The mesh comes in a box with user instructions, on the box are possible adverse event warnings. The publicly available literature in promoting the mesh says alot more about how great the mesh is, I would say the ratio is 99/1, 99 being how great the mesh is, 1 being the amount of warning on the user instruction area of the box. Which one would the surgeon be more likely to use as a guide to choosing the right mesh? I think the surgeon would go by the positive marketing strategies , believing that "this is the right choice for my patient". There is tons more "good" than bad. So happens the "bad" did happen so the "good" goes into the toilet. If you read the adverse event section on the box, then the dozens of available positive aspects of the mesh, and you had to choose, would go say no because of possible adverse events, or would you say yes, Ill use it because the good outweighs the bad as far as what you have read.?? This is hopefully the point that these attorneys will use to help their mesh victim clients. Hopefully the surgeons did used the mesh believing it could do more good than harm. Its like buying a gun. Everyone knows that the gun can kill, but people buy the gun because they believe the gun wont just turn itself on the owner and kill the owner. Its a no brainier.
Marisa

Pomona, CA

#6150 Jun 23, 2012
Lisa wrote:
I had the hernia patch put in 2002. Since then I have had unexplained blood loss, transfusins, severe abdominal problems that led to the diagnosis of Colitis, then serious heart palpitations when I eat and the list goes on. I kept telling ALL the docs that there was something wrong in my abdomen. It felt like I had lots of scar tissue inside. I saw the ad on TV for the recall. Called my surgeon and sure enough, I have the recalled patch! Now, I go in next week, for a consutation and then surgery.
My e-mail is LeezaAnn63@hotmail.com
I wuld love to hear from anybody else that has had their patch removed.
Lisa
Lisa, I've had 2 hernia repairs, the first one done on September 16, 2011, and less than 1 month later, the mesh either collapsed, or the surgical sutures popped (my doctor wouldn't say which), and my intestine just popped out something fierce. I had the second surgery on Dec. 2, 2011 and they used a different mesh, and from the first surgery I had pain, like pulling, and the doctor said it was "healing pains", later on it was "scar tissue pains", but it never stopped and the swelling (looks like I'm 4 months pregnant) never went down. Now, for the last 2 months it has gotten worse, so finally, last week I was told there's another hernia. I'm going back to my surgeon next Wednesday and I'd like help from anybody regarding this.... Do I let him do the 3rd one? What kind of justice can I seek?
Thanks

Marisa

Pomona, CA

#6151 Jun 23, 2012
Lisa, I've had 2 hernia repairs, the first one done on September 16, 2011, and less than 1 month later, the mesh either collapsed, or the surgical sutures popped (my doctor wouldn't say which), and my intestine just popped out something fierce. I had the second surgery on Dec. 2, 2011 and they used a different mesh, and from the first surgery I had pain, like pulling, and the doctor said it was "healing pains", later on it was "scar tissue pains", but it never stopped and the swelling (looks like I'm 4 months pregnant) never went down. Now, for the last 2 months it has gotten worse, so finally, last week I was told there's another hernia. I'm going back to my surgeon next Wednesday and I'd like help from anybody regarding this.... Do I let him do the 3rd one? What kind of justice can I seek?
Thanks
If anybody knows more about this, please email me at marisa_lewis@yahoo.com.
patty

Springfield, OR

#6152 Jun 23, 2012
Marisa wrote:
Thanks
If anybody knows more about this, please email me at marisa_lewis@yahoo.com.
I attempted to email you but it said your address was not valid. I have some helpful information for you

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Worth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge rules in favor of Arlington red-light cam... 11 hr Scott in Arlington 1
Third Bandido arrested in motorcycle bar shooting 14 hr Steve 12
Woman Says Company Illegally Towed Vehicle (Jul '08) 18 hr AntiExcalibur 111
Ikera s group wins Episcopal Church property ru... 22 hr RevKen 1
Hernia Mesh Recall... (May '07) 22 hr Deborah smith 63
Looking for a family doctor Tue Luvhawb 1
Ruling expected soon in Fort Worth Episcopal Di... Tue Bella Oxmyx 2

Fort Worth News Video

Fort Worth Dating
Find my Match