Army Worms Invade FW Neighborhood

Army Worms Invade FW Neighborhood

There are 14 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Sep 29, 2008, titled Army Worms Invade FW Neighborhood. In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

Army worms are taking over a Fort Worth neighborhood. One yard on Sandy Lane is covered with worms.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

Sara

Chicago, IL

#1 Sep 29, 2008
We are in Ennis and noticed the same thing on Saturday. We have a little over an acre and it looked like our grass was alive! It is so gross and we have no idea why they just appeared overnight!
Tara

Overton, TX

#2 Sep 29, 2008
Mix 80% seven dust with water and spray it on the yard or pasture.
Army Worm eggs were dormant. Something in the weather or ground temp could have caused a hatch.
You may need a applicators license to buy 80% Seven. Call your County Extension Agent or Local Farm Supply Store.
Dan

United States

#3 Sep 29, 2008
Not just in Fort Worth, they are all over our yard/house in Celina. Any clue how to kill them?
Sara

Chicago, IL

#4 Sep 29, 2008
Tara wrote:
Mix 80% seven dust with water and spray it on the yard or pasture.
Army Worm eggs were dormant. Something in the weather or ground temp could have caused a hatch.
You may need a applicators license to buy 80% Seven. Call your County Extension Agent or Local Farm Supply Store.
I really appreciate your response. I hope this helps!!!
concerned2

Dallas, TX

#5 Sep 29, 2008
ewwwwww! i absolutely HATE these worms. i have an arizona ash in my driveway (in Dallas) and have had these worms infest my tree two years in a row. they are so nasty and their droppings litter the driveway, walkway and car. i don't remember what chemical i used to get rid of them but i do know it wasn't easy. it took many persistent times of spraying way up in the trees to finally kill them.
mike

Irving, TX

#6 Sep 29, 2008
get some guinea hens
BAP

Dallas, TX

#7 Sep 29, 2008
I live in Euless just south of DFW Airport and over the past weekend, my yard was invaded with Army Worms aswell. I mean, there were tens of thousands of them EVERYWHERE. They were even comming into my house, my garage, on my back porch, up walls, EVERYWHERE. Not to mention my yard went from a nice golf course green to an ugly golden brown over night. So, I went to my local hardware store, picked up some concentrated bug spray, hooked it up to my garden hose, sprayed the entire yard until the bottle was empty and they were all dead in a matter of 24 hours. Order has been restored.
BAP

Dallas, TX

#8 Sep 29, 2008
I forgot to mention what chemical I used. It was ORTHO MAX CONCENTRATED YARD SPRAY. It comes in a small grey bottle that you hook to your garden hose. Be sure to wear your protective gear, this stuff is nasty!
buddy b

Carrollton, TX

#9 Sep 29, 2008
better worms than illegals, then again, the illegals probably caused the worms
Taylor Blak

Plano, TX

#10 Sep 29, 2008
Attention all Fisher men! Worm free for all!=)) lol
C Dunn

Rockwall, TX

#11 Sep 29, 2008
My yard is also covered in these army worms- can anyone tell me about them?
Michael

Frisco, TX

#12 Sep 30, 2008
Is that it? Wow....thorough reporting seen here....
ckeller

Plano, TX

#13 Oct 1, 2008
we have not heard of the story on the armyworm. this morning we found our newly sod yard covered with the distructive armyworm. there are millions in our yard.
ckeller

Plano, TX

#14 Oct 1, 2008
my daughter collected about 100 of them and put them in a jar together. minutes later they were attacking each other. after 15 minutes most were dead and there is an inch of green liquid in the jar. i cannot find and info about if they are poisonous.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Worth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paschal High School Girls of the 80's 5 hr Fred West 8
gangs of fort worth Tx (Sep '10) 5 hr POLYWOOD LOKKO 32
Review: Al's Import Auto Recycling 12 hr MCbeonca 1
Review: Delta Towing Mon Hahaj 1
Fort Worth Ink & Art Expo Sun wonderland1201 1
News Three are convicted in bank-robbery scheme (Feb '07) Sat Kevin Smith 10
News Twice Victims Of Mortgage Fraud, Family Faces E... (Jul '08) Sat he knows 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Worth Mortgages