Trane Offcial Confirms Layoffs

Trane Offcial Confirms Layoffs

There are 51 comments on the 5News KFSM story from Jan 25, 2010, titled Trane Offcial Confirms Layoffs. In it, 5News KFSM reports that:

More than 200 employees at the Trane plant in Fort Smith will be without a job by the end of the year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 5News KFSM.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
David D

Fort Smith, AR

#1 Jan 25, 2010
Why do companies around here keep moving factories? Its hard enough to find a decent job around this area! I work part time and havent been able to find anything around here that has better pay and benefits as working full time. Its ridiculous! Im so disapointed in this news. My dad has worked there almost 16 years and now he will probably have to find another job with just as good pay to be able to meet his finacial needs. Right now he is layed off and is having serious health issues, now Trane officials tell me how he will be able to get the proper medical attention that he needs with no medical insurance? Its all about the corporate people making a dollar! Im sick of it! All you CEO's and CFO's know where you can go and if you dont I'll make it easy on you its not to the Pearly Gates of Heaven!
Tiny

Centerton, AR

#2 Jan 25, 2010
At least they r not moving to Mexico!!!! Be Happy about that!!!
David D

Fort Smith, AR

#3 Jan 25, 2010
There is no happiness in it at all. I guess you and your family has never been in this situation before or you wouldnt make comments like that. I dont know you or how you live your life but when you quit another 16 years ago because you were worried about job security and this. My dad has been layed off and brought back on several different occasions and it sucks when you dont know when or where your next meal is going to come from and just hope and pray that your landlord (if you rent) will be understanding enough not to kick you out because you cant afford to pay your rent, because your kids are hungry and you rather buy food then pay rent.
Tom

Van Buren, AR

#4 Jan 25, 2010
Another example of corporate greed. Wages at the Florida plant are lower and it is non union. It is all about the money. The better jobs are leaving for lower wage areas whether it's Mexico or Florida doesn't really matter does it?
Ralph McCoy

Fort Smith, AR

#5 Jan 25, 2010
This is not good.
Objective Opinion

Plano, TX

#6 Jan 25, 2010
Do you know the wages in Florida are lower for a fact there Tom or are you just talking out of your...well...you figure it out? While your figuring, why don't you do a Cost of Living Search on practically anywhere in Florida. Maybe if your union thug bosses weren't trying to turn every screw shooter on the line into the upper middle class, there would actually be some incentive to hang around for awhile. I mean seriously, what does northwest Arkansas have to offer any kind of manufacturing company? Your taxes are high, your public education system finishes almost dead last in every category (except for the teen pregnancy one maybe...), and your barely high school educated workers feel they're entitled to be making what the CEO makes. We all make choices in life. What gives you the right to throw the board over and cry 'do over'? You mock the educated, you thought it was cool to go against the grain, you didn't pay attention when your teachers were telling you to go to college, you wouldn't put down the smoke and drink, you had kids without planning properly, and now you're crying for a lack of opportunity. You did this to yourselves, just be glad they're not moving the whole line. I'll tell you who I feel sorry for, the 15 salaried workers that spent an entire lifetime of making the right choices and now will have to go find a commensurate level of salary in a down market and a poor Fort Smith economy.
Po Po cruise for MILFs

Gladewater, TX

#7 Jan 25, 2010
Very well put. Kudos to you sir.
worker

Fort Smith, AR

#8 Jan 26, 2010
You guys think you are saints because you make decision that eventually hurt lives. Without the great worker that build you product, you guys won't have that great job that you hold. Some of us are not as fortunate to be born with a silver spoon to get that great education that you prized. Just remember you will never be able to work on the line days in and out like we do. So remember that without workers, there's no need for you guys either. Act like an adult, quit talking down to people that are worried about their future.
Laura

Van Buren, AR

#9 Jan 26, 2010
This is to "Objective Opinion" yes, we know for a fact that the Fla plant pays lower wages than Fort Smith...us Approx.$17.00 p/h to their $12 p/h. But I am sure it is not just the wages....but the benefits that drive up the costs more here. Us, Fort Smith, being proud UAW workers, who over the years, have fought hard for our numerous benefits, and have had good ones for years, compared to a "scab" plant, will be a big cost saver for Corporate Greed. We (Fort Smith plant) and yes, I am a 32 year employee...have been a good, honest and hard working plant. We have made a great product for years, first for GE, then Trane, and now IR. We have put out a quality product, and have been a dependable work force, and yes, have made the Companies that we have worked for a lot of money. It breaks my heart, that we are going down this path, like so many other manufacturing plants. I will be one of the lucky ones, who will keep my job ( at least for a while longer ), but that doesn't lessen the pain that I will feel for my brothers and sisters ( as yes, after all the years, they are truly like family- and I know everyone in that facility )who will be loosing their job. And don't think that this will not affect me, and those of us who remain employed. This is just a start, and it will also effect the whole economy here, in this area. This is bad, and it will hurt many people. Oh, by the way "Objective", you are truly showing your own ignorance when you lump all factory workers together, as those who are un-educated, who barely eked out of high school (if at all), and sat around drinkin hooch and smoking pot, and spitting out kids, right and left. I personally take offense to that. And NO we have not done this to ourselves. You ought to be ashamed of yourself, and of your comments. This is peoples lives that are being ruined here.
Objective Opinion

United States

#10 Jan 26, 2010
You make hasty generalizations about corporations (which are people by the way), so I make hasty generalizations about factory workers, particularly union thugs. What honestly separates you or the other common laborers from the millions of other common laborers out there...absolutely nothing. Assuming your poorly cited information is correct and IR is saving $5.00/hr by making the move to Florida (never thought Arkansas would be the expensive labor pool...), that's a savings of over 30%. Would you buy your milk at the gas station for 130% of the price it cost at Wal-Mart? If you don't aspire for any kind of advanced training in life or at least find something that makes you special, then your job is in peril. We're in the 21st century now and many of the working conditions the unions fought for are in place. Mission Accomplished. Unfortunately, the fight didn't stop there, your leadership keeps look for ways to push the status quo, more...more...more. It is your own greed en masse that is killing American manufacturing, but you're too busy feeling sorry for yourself and envying those who actually accomplished something to ever realize that. I do believe they will not be happy until every UAW worker on the line is paid 8 hours a day to show up and slap dominoes. My heart truly goes out to anyone who loses there job in this down economy, but your anger is misplaced. Why don't those 200 union card carrying 'corporate wealth creaters' go talk to the UAW about what they expect them to do about it? After all, that's what your dues were for right?...Oh wait, no, they were to get Obama elected...well...Good luck with that. Here's one other little point that will get you to thinking. If every CEO wage in this country was one dollar per year, it wouldn't amount to a dime's difference on your paycheck...
Objective Opinion

United States

#11 Jan 26, 2010
BTW, WTF?$17.00/hour, are you kidding me?!? For what? Some greaseball to shoot a screw into a line? Are you guys even paying your teachers $17.00/hr? Small wonder Trane sold you guys off...they had to stop the bleeding. If American Standard couldn't hold onto that level of cost, you guys are in a lot more trouble than you know.
Another Objective One

United States

#12 Jan 26, 2010
Firstly, it is much more attractive to move to a non-union facility because of the productivity and close relationship between management and shop floor employees, not because of direct cost savings. There will be cost savings, but that's because shop floor employees in a non-union environment actually work. I've been in every Trane Commercial facility in North America. Half of them are organized (union). Across the board, the difference in attitude, work ethic, and productivity is obvious. In union facilities, the people are lazy, disorganized, and disrespectful. Unions have outlived their usefulness to America. That being said, the true reason this move happened (along with the other moves, like the Springhill, LA shutdown and move to Monterrey, Mexico) is the result of Ingersoll-Rand leadership analyzing the entire enterprise's manufacturing footprint and restructuring in an effort to eliminate waste and build product where it makes the most business sense to. Without these actions, the enterprise will not be able to keep up with competition, thereby resulting in a MUCH greater loss. This is another reason Fort Smith should stop relying on manufacturing jobs, and shift our economy to a more viable one for the 21st century.
Worker

Fort Smith, AR

#13 Jan 26, 2010
I will let everyone else argue about blame. While this is going on I will be looking for another way to feed my family. I have been on both sides of the line(salary and hourly). I personaly understand both sides. This is just sad for all those involved. Oh well we can only influence not control what happens to us, how we react to life is what makes us who we are. I was looking for a job when I found this one.
Objective Opinion

United States

#14 Jan 26, 2010
Oh and one other thing, not everyone who graduated college, did so with their parent's Bank of America card in their back pocket. I understand the psychology for your assumption, but it doesn't make it right. The fact of the matter is you really can pull yourself up by the bootstraps but it involves effort, focus, and determination. By the time I graduated, I had experience with cutting up chickens, unloading trucks out of the back of a Wal-mart, flipping burgers, and waiting tables. I don't honestly expect for anyone to give a crap about that, but at the same time I don't think it's fair for others to feel entitled to the same lifestyle I have without them personally paying their dues or knowing the backstory.
Union Hater

Denver, CO

#15 Jan 26, 2010
I enjoy watching unions get screwed. Sorry for the lost jobs, but there is no need for unions in the modern world. You don't like your job, quit and find another. You don't like your pay. Quit and find a higher paying job. You say you can't, then shut and deal with it. I'm tired of working 80 hours a week so that the company i built can stay open so the "workers" can put food on the table. Not all CEO's make a lot of money. In fact a good half of my employees make more than I, that's what happens in a down economy to the owner. We suffer, while you complain. Bye Bye Unions, talk about CEO salaries. You chould check your union bosses salary.
Union Hater

Denver, CO

#16 Jan 26, 2010
Oh yah, they shut down the Pueblo CO facility about two years ago and moved it to Mexico. Don't worry, they'll do the same to Florida soon enough. If people would stop buying all the disposable crap from China this wouldn't be as much of an issue. You complain about prices being too high, so the CEO's move production to low cost areas to shut you up and get you cheaper prices, then you complain when they shut down the facility becuase you won't buy the more expensive product. It's YOUR fault.
eM Dove

Fort Smith, AR

#17 Jan 26, 2010
For those who hadn't figured them out, I am outing "Objective" and Union Hater. You're welcome boy(s). Why are 2 people from 2 not local places posting on our local tv website about our local related item; attempting to whip up local animosity against our workers and patting each other on their backs? Sorry sweethearts, our workers aren't uneducated from the backwoods. I think you two must have cheated off each others papers in Industrial/ Organizational Psych, and I can see right through you. Fail! I must say, the "leaked" letter gets a D (there was slightly too much fluff that wouldn't actually be in the letter had it been genuine, and the part that was specifically pointed to us was overly transparent.. my guess is that you both had a hard time in basic business communications as well, too much beer pong the night before, perhaps?), and you screwed up your timing on the first night. "This is not economically driven" should have been stated "This is not driven by the bad economy, because as stated causes inconsistencies with the saving $12 an hour argument. If you want to argue this further, I supposed I can check back in a little bit, if not I supposed that you just got pwned by a "worthless, undereducated" hourly broad. Go Rosie. Boy, you shure do got a purdy mouth.
Jim A

Greenwood, AR

#18 Jan 26, 2010
To all "objectives" sharing comments.
I've read all of your input and in my opinion the writer from St. Louis is correct only in saying, "The moves are a result of analizing the entire enterprise's footprint and restructuring..."
But to resort to name calling is uncalled for.
I've worked in fast food, plastics plants and chicken plants aside from having served in the military. I can tell you first hand that people are the same whether union, non union, civilian or military. You will find the type of people you describe in every aspect of society.
To classify all union members as lazy, disorganized and direspectful is an insult to all hard working people trying to earn a livable wage so that they can provide their families modest and comfortable lives.
UAW Local 716 is an independent local in a right to work state. Could a union be so wrong if, having these things against us, we still have over 95% membership?
So please, before pointing fingers and calling names remember, we are all human beings trying to do what we think is right in our lives for God and our families.
eM Dove

Fort Smith, AR

#19 Jan 26, 2010
oops, supposed should be suppose and I forgot to close those squirrely quotes. You are still both part of the multimillion dollar labor-cost-reduction team. Your fly is open. Yes, I am trying to freak you out.
Objective Opinion

United States

#20 Jan 26, 2010
eM Dove, you couldn't be more off point and your overly verbose writing style designed to inflate your own ego is obvious. Let me guess, you spend endless hours blogging about yourself and you would vote for the anti-christ as long as he or she were on a Democratic ticket. Drones like you are a dime a dozen. The truth of the matter is I have more connections with Arkansas and with Trane for that matter than you could possibly imagine. One other fun fact, I went to engineering school not business (undergrad that is). Epic Fail right back at ya.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Smith Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
monica rogers and jeremiah/missing kid Wed dad2016 1
bobby joe easley Tue fort smith man 1
Cliff Parks - Fort Smith Fire Fighter Jun 26 People Matter 4
moving to fort smith (Jan '12) Jun 11 Tanya 187
Gangs!: how are they effecting Ft. Smith? (Nov '08) Jun 7 Chakie0778 101
Poll Did you vote today? (Jun '10) Jun 3 bombastic 31,036
Jesselynn McCarty Is A Evil Witch (Jul '15) May '16 Karma 10

Fort Smith Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance