First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Leona

United States

#1 Sep 9, 2011
Why are poor people Obese? Just doesn't make sense.
duh

Plymouth, MN

#3 Sep 9, 2011
Vision cards allow them to get more than average amounts of food, usually they purchase foods high in fats, lots of snacks and junk. Also lack of work means NO exercise for some. If they had to work for their grocery money they wouldn't get even half of what they get now, and make wiser choices. Also those not receiving benefits and have little money can't afford healthy food choices. It is a fact that non-healthy foods are cheaper than the healthy ones.
duh

Plymouth, MN

#4 Sep 9, 2011
I should correct myself regarding my statement about "it is a fact...", everyone COULD afford to eat healthy foods if they purchased such items and prepared home cooked meals and not just ripping open a box and popping it in the microwave.
jaslyn

Mount Laurel, NJ

#5 Sep 14, 2011
Poor people are fat because they are uneducated. They do not know about Nutrition. They do not know about health and fitness. They sit and watch tv all day and get free food. They don't exercise. They collect assistance any chance they get because the uneducated mind is lazy. Lazy people don't work. Then they get fat, get diabetes, and become disabled. Then they collect disabilty checks. Then eventually die of a heart attack.... Js
Dr Doolittle

United States

#6 Sep 15, 2011
This is all generalization. People are obese for different reasons. Overeating, lack of exercise, thyroid or hormonal conditions...the list goes on.
My question is-why does anyone post a thread asking why people are obese?
Why not, instead, post some helpful ways to get in shape for people-they might be willing to read what you have to say and take your advice.
--Dr D.
Leona

United States

#7 Sep 15, 2011
I was asking why POOR people are OBESE! If they are POOR and cannot afford anything, shouldn't the fat be wasting away from their body? Yet they are GETTIN FATTER! OBESE POOR people stuffing their face with FAT FOOD? How can they afford fat food anyway?
ChangeIt

Fort Scott, KS

#8 Sep 16, 2011
Saw in the Trib that the Visioning A Healthier Bourbon County Committee, Mercy Health for Life, Buck Run and Thrive have partnered to offer locally the SEK Meltdown which they describe as a 6 week community weight loss program that promotes healthy lifestyles. There is a one-time fee of $12.00 and you can register Saturday and they are having health screenings, etc. It is really long article (9/12/11 of the FS Tribune) with a description of all the things involved. It sounds pretty good and I am sure if you call maybe Buck Run that they can direct you to who to talk with since the article didn't really say. I hope they get a lot of interest.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#9 Sep 16, 2011
This is clearly a post intended just to bash poor people. Not all poor people are fat, moron. And the most obvious fact is that health food costs more. Go to the store and look for yourself rather than sitting here talking crap.
Duh

Salt Lake City, UT

#10 Sep 16, 2011
Leona wrote:
I was asking why POOR people are OBESE! If they are POOR and cannot afford anything, shouldn't the fat be wasting away from their body? Yet they are GETTIN FATTER! OBESE POOR people stuffing their face with FAT FOOD? How can they afford fat food anyway?
Hey Leona why don't you give all of your money away, and then see what it is like to be poor.

Go away, Leona, Go away. You are a troll.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#11 Sep 16, 2011
Leona wrote:
I was asking why POOR people are OBESE! If they are POOR and cannot afford anything, shouldn't the fat be wasting away from their body? Yet they are GETTIN FATTER! OBESE POOR people stuffing their face with FAT FOOD? How can they afford fat food anyway?
Because fat food is cheaper than healthy food. How have you not noticed this?
just check it out

United States

#12 Sep 16, 2011
Being poor has nothing to do w fat but bad food is cheeper and if better food was cheep it would help vision card dose help people but not all people who use it sit on butts some work buttsoff but cuz nothing pays in this town people still have t be on it and i know someone who's over weight and tryed everything if the town would offer free workouts or gym memberships then mite help town
Leona

United States

#13 Sep 16, 2011
Fruits and Vegetables are priced fairly. It's better than a box of donuts Fatso!
Wow

Fort Scott, KS

#14 Sep 16, 2011
I disagree that healthy foods are more expensive!!! A bag of chicken breasts feeds my family 4 meals, and is about 6.00. Add a couple of seasonal veggies, and WATER, and that's about 5.00 per meal for 4 people, or 1.25 each. A pound of strawberries are on sale for 1.25 this week. You can buy one candy bar for that! A meal at McD's is easily 6 or 7 dollars! We eat very VERY little processed foods, and our grocery bills are very reasonable!

I use coupons, buy on sale, plan meals around grocery ads, etc. Healthier food isn't more expensive, it's just A LOT MORE work! And some people aren't willing to put in the work!!!

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#15 Sep 16, 2011
If you don't see that health foods are more expensive than unhealthy foods then you're a moron. And Leona, you're a c***.
Well

Wichita, KS

#16 Sep 17, 2011
Leona wrote:
I was asking why POOR people are OBESE! If they are POOR and cannot afford anything, shouldn't the fat be wasting away from their body? Yet they are GETTIN FATTER! OBESE POOR people stuffing their face with FAT FOOD? How can they afford fat food anyway?
Food Stamps.
Leona

United States

#17 Sep 17, 2011
Unchained2011 wrote:
If you don't see that health foods are more expensive than unhealthy foods then you're a moron. And Leona, you're a c***.
you must be obese
truth to power

Monroe, OH

#18 Dec 29, 2014
A lot of the problem with increasing obesity rates in America has to do with the fact that obesity has somehow lost it's negative stigma. The AMA now calls obesity "a disease"; a decision which was based almost solely on economics, certainly not on common sense. To make matters worse, the media continuously glorifies overweight/obese characters on sitcoms such as "Mike & Molly".
Humanity

Junction City, KS

#19 Dec 30, 2014
Unchained2011 wrote:
This is clearly a post intended just to bash poor people. Not all poor people are fat, moron. And the most obvious fact is that health food costs more. Go to the store and look for yourself rather than sitting here talking crap.
Very true.Someone started this post to be an ass and say mean things about poor people and hope other posters will say hateful comments too.All food is expensive but OMG the healthy food is very expensive !! Rediculous high !
chagerfan

Fort Scott, KS

#20 Dec 30, 2014
Julie Norris = obese
Humanity

Junction City, KS

#21 Dec 30, 2014
chagerfan wrote:
Julie Norris = obese
And you are a horrible person to post this about someone. Jerk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Scott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's going on with the old Western building 2 hr Don 7
Anthony anderson 2 hr Brian cooper 12
please tell me why 14 hr MethDestroys 5
Professional Welfare 15 hr leighann 38
Mugshots 21 hr Leslie 1
rachelle chin is a snitch... (Feb '12) Thu Thomas 14
sammi tucker (Dec '11) Thu tumblr 13
More from around the web

Fort Scott People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]