Can you hide behind a fake name on TOPIX?

Posted in the Fort Scott Forum

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Nov 13, 2012
Local Computer Company

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Everyone posts on topix thinking that they can hide behinda fake name, are you ready for that knock on your door with a lawsuit?
http://www.kansastechs.com/fort-scott-ks-tech...
Read the story of the lady that was sued for $401,000 thousand dollars.
Be Aware

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Most folks on TOPIX are smart enough not to name names unless the person is a public figure. It also helps to stick with facts and respect other people's opinions.
Computer User

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Local Computer Company wrote:
Read the story of the lady that was sued for $401,000 thousand dollars.
"No, this is just one judgment handed out in one court to a person that took the pounding on Topics,"

That was rare instance several years ago, using a proxy server will hide your IP and better your chances of not having it revealed.
fscitizen

Girard, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

This is not an isolated incident in regards to Topix. The company is frequently involved in lawsuits like this. A cheap proxy server is not enough to keep you hidden.
Computer User

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

fscitizen wrote:
This is not an isolated incident in regards to Topix. The company is frequently involved in lawsuits like this. A cheap proxy server is not enough to keep you hidden.
"This is not an isolated incident in regards to Topix."

Show me other incidences of said claims that were satisfied.

"A cheap proxy server is not enough to keep you hidden."

You are a keyboard commando moron who must be on dialup and have no clue.

BTW Google is your friend! and FREE also!
Local Computer Company

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

There are many cases in many different towns and states in the US.

Your basic computer user "read some of the posts" do not have a clue about proxy servers. Some have a hard time spelling, me included at times.:-)

It was just a topic to bring up the point that if your not using a proxy, someone can and will find out who you are and can and would be able to sue you.

Bing is your friend too! and FREE also!:-)
Cyber What

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

I know of laws against cyber bullying and cyber stalking but nothing regarding the free expression of opinions on a public forum. As long as folks adhere to the basic rules of thumb about libel & slander, then everyone should be OK.

Now might be a good time for everyone to review the standard definitions of libel & slander in their online dictionaries.
Ben Redden

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

A public figure (such as an elected official, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a lawsuit on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with actual malice (knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard for the truth). The BURDEN OF PROOF in defamation actions is HIGHER in the case of a public figure.

Libel: FALSE written statements damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation.
- The action or crime of publishing such a statement
- A false and malicious statement about a person.
- A thing or circumstance that brings undeserved discredit on a person by misrepresentation

Slander: the action or crime of making a FALSE spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation
- A false and malicious spoken statement
- To make false and damaging statements about someone

*** Note the key word “FALSE” in these definitions
Computer Guy

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

The topic was "hiding anon users" and if they believe they are truly safe behind their fake names.

Opinions are not fact, and in cyberspace, opinions are not covered by the Constituition. My whole reasoning of this topic is to bring light to the fact that if you "think" that you are posting anonymous, is it actually true?

We found out today using a Proxy can help hide your IP address, which leads to your home address after some time with a lawyer and a judge.

Should people have the power to say whatever they want about a person Fact/or Opinion.. anon?

Something to think about!!
Ben Redden

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

You're spoofing, Computer Guy. Of course you will not find the word cyberspace in the US Constitution, but free expression of opinions are indeed covered in the 1st amendment to the Constitution. Just avoid defamation & obscene language and you'll usually be OK.

Besides, Topix is not anonymous anyway and a lot of people know that. System Admins are willing & able to divulge who is logged in & writing to Topix servers. I'm surprised you don't know some of those folks. Or do you?

I'm not hiding and I don't believe anyone else needs to "Hide". That's very funny! There's a high probability that you know who I am and where I live, and I'm OK with that. I just like using pseudonyms.
ur dumb azz

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Judged:

Computer Guy wrote:
We found out today using a Proxy can help hide your IP address, which leads to your home address after some time with a lawyer and a judge.
Something to think about!!
Something to think about is that fact you're a moron if you think "WE" just found out about Proxy severs!

Proxy severs have been around since Al gore invented the 'Net.
Computer Guy

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Just because you know everything "ur dumb azz", others reading this may not. "We found out today..." basically was a general depiction that there are other avenues to hide your information online. I do apologize if this is too generic for your infinite knowledge, but if you have more to add other than insult, feel free. The topic questions if one can hide behind a name, not if they are smart enough to use a proxy server.:-)
ur dumb azz

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Computer Guy wrote:
infinite knowledge, The topic questions if one can hide behind a name, not if they are smart enough to use a proxy server.:-)
"but if you have more to add other than insult, feel free."

You like many Topix posters "NO READ GOOD."
azz

Leavenworth, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2012

Computer Guy wrote:
I do apologize if this is too generic for your infinite knowledge,
generic and infinite knowledge don't make "since" to me.
Computer guy

Fort Scott, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Makes no "since" to me either LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Fort Scott Forum right now

Search the Fort Scott Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Fort Scott, KS 14 hr Opie 31
Kim Cannon arrest? (Oct '11) 18 hr Bourbon County at... 299
pound city animal shelter Mon heart 1
Poor Bike Rider in Road Sun 5 for 25 meat sale 9
new jail, new vehicles for FSPD and BCSO Aug 17 just thinking 6
stupid republicans (May '13) Aug 17 Snake peter 654
Sharkys food THE BEST (Jul '11) Aug 17 bad service 98
•••
•••