First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Tiger Fan

Fort Scott, KS

#1 Jan 27, 2010
Since the football program is changing head coaches I think its time to change the basketball head coach. One that will actually look at the talent and not pick the kids whos parents suck up the most or who goes to what church. The current team has talent but will never go anywhere because the coach is wearing blinders. I sit in the stands and am just amazed at the talent sitting on the bench while watching kids that are playing who could really care a less about being there. I have no dog in the fight but I will have in a few years and I hope and pray someone from outside the community will take that job over and really run a true basketball program and not a "what can you do for me if I play your kid program".
Fattiger

Fort Scott, KS

#2 Jan 27, 2010
And just who is sitting on the bench that is so talented?
Sports Guy

Fort Scott, KS

#3 Jan 27, 2010
I have coached many of sports in my years and its not an easy thing to do. I have never done so at the high school level, but I would assume it is even harder. As a former coach its hard to make everyone happy in fact its impossible. As a parent of kids who are in sports I understand that it is frustrating to see your kids on the bench. In your eyes your child is the best at everything and thats expected. My kids have spent many times camped out on the bench and I have seen kids who play that really aren't that good either but its not up to me to pick and choose. The coach has a job to do and he gets to pick who plays and who doesn't and its him or her that has to deal with angry parents and crazy crowds, and sleepless night. Yes there are times I would love to tell him how to do his job and what I think is best but then that would give the coach the authority to tell me how to do my job and trust me thats not happening. Is there favorites in high school? probably yes, is there kids who seem to glide through everything even though they are not great? probably yes. That will happen all through life. The only thing you can do as a parent is to tell your child to keep getting better and when he is allowed to play in the game to give it his or her all and to do their very best.
fair_enough

Fort Scott, KS

#4 Jan 27, 2010
Lets not name names on this forum. They are kids and they don't need their names on this forum. If you have seen any of the games you know who should be playing and who needs to sit.
I won't go into all of that but I will say that in order to be a well rounded team you have to have height, and to sit your tall kids when you need rebounding is just crazy. If possible you should always have a good ball handler, two good shooters and two tall guys on the inside. We can't win if all you have is one guy who will work the inside and four other who are only three point shooters. Three point shots are great and exciting but two point shots are the bread and butter of any good basketball program.
Just look at the 4th period of the last two games, the starters are worn out and can't keep up so they lose their butts in the forth, time to pay attention coach and change it up.
Fattiger

Fort Scott, KS

#5 Jan 27, 2010
You are correct, names should not be mentioned. Just curious as to whether the two of you have ever coached beyond the recreational level?
EarnestineWannaB

Fort Scott, KS

#6 Jan 27, 2010
i guess we are second guessing the same coach who took an undersized, over achieving group of "little engines that could" to back to back state championship winners. Repeat back to back state champions. Not a kid over 6'3". Just gym rats with a never say die attitude, probably reflective somewhat of their coach. Does the original posting person actually believe it is more fun to play favorites than win games? Get real dude.
Formerplayer

Fort Scott, KS

#7 Feb 1, 2010
As a former player I can tell you why the program hasn't been as good in the past few years. "Respect"

The kids don't respect the coach and the coach shows no repsect to the players. Last years team almost walked off due to the attitude of the coach. I believe he is a good coach, but he has forgotten that it is still just a game and most everyone who plays it won't go on to be a college star. So relax have fun with it and watch the program become what it used to be.
wow_what_a_day

Fort Scott, KS

#8 Feb 1, 2010
Are we talking about the boys team or the girls, just curious?
90alum

Fort Scott, KS

#9 Feb 1, 2010
The back to back state champs you speak of 04,05,could have won all those games with no coach.That was pure talent and hustle,no one on the team was average.They were pure ballers.Teams like that dont come around very often.Dont give coach too much credit when it rolls out like that.There is lots of favoritism,on the boys team.One player quit in the locker room a couple games ago at half time cause he got chewed out by Dell.The team talked him into staying,no names but he's the leading scorer.What a baby,dont see him getting any reprocussions from it,its all who you are.
90alum

Fort Scott, KS

#10 Feb 1, 2010
Its already begun in the 5-6 grade boys traveling baseball and basketball teams.They dont have the best kids they pick a certain group,some even from other towns.The wont be in high school together,they will be copeting against our kids,why help make them better.What is wrong with tryouts all wanting to play get fair chance,voted by non bias people.Then the out of town players stay in their towns.We need to keep kids in this town together,to get better together and teams like the back to back state champs are formed.That is how they got that good,all starts with gelling.
Proud Parent

Fort Scott, KS

#11 Feb 2, 2010
I have read all of these post and really people why complain about high school sports? As long as I can remember its always been this way, because as a parent you see stuff in your own kids that the coach doesn't see. Maybe its there maybe its not, just let the kids play and sit back and cheer. Its not rocket science, your kids are staying active they get to be part of a team, let them enjoy these years without tons of negativity.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#12 Feb 4, 2010
I haven't lived here long enough to really see how it all falls. But usually in 'small' towns. Your last name overrides your talent level. Is that a problem here?
caring citizens

Fort Scott, KS

#13 Feb 9, 2010
I would have to agree with Tiger Fan....It is time for a change. I try to attend all Fort scott High School athletic events and have been an avid booster club sponser. I have noticed in reading the varsity boys basketball team roster that there is one player who is a senior that I have not seen play a single minute in a game. It is my understanding in talking with some folks in the community that this athlete is a 4 year player in the basketball program and is an outstanding student. It is my personal opinion that if a student who is a 4 year member of the program and a senior, they deserve some playing time. It appears to me that maybe we have a coach in place who really needs some guidance from the administration as to why he is coaching and teaching....is it really about the kids...sure doesnt come across that way. I have no children in the program, but for those parents who do or will have do you really want someone like this coaching or teaching your children.
no fan

Fort Scott, KS

#14 Feb 10, 2010
i won't defend del as a person, because i can't stand him. i think he's a total ass to kids and adults. however, just because a kid has gone out for the team for 4 years and is a good student, doesn't mean he has the most talent. i think i know the student you are referring to, and he's got a problem with attitude sometimes. the coach is going to play the ones with the most talent because winning IS everything at this level. yes, he has his favorites, but all coaches do. that's just the way it is. he's a jerk who cares nothing about himself and his favorites, but don't blame him for not playing a kid just because the kid has been there for 4 years and is a good student.
tigeralumni

Fort Scott, KS

#15 Feb 10, 2010
I have personally played for Dell, and i can tell you he cares about himself and thats about it. For example, look at the class of 2009! The kids go undefeated as freshman, dominating teams..end up 19-0. But that was under pechonne stepps. Who is a calm collected coach, that doesn't play favorites. In my opionon and many other peoples he would outcoach Dell with his eyes closed. The whole team went out as sophomores and Dell made their lives living hell. Kids scoring double digits every jv game and not suiting varsity under kids that barely scored but were favored by Dell. I know he threatened to make a kid walk home from an iola gas station because he was smiling after a loss. Really? is that what high school sports are about? When they were juniors they still all went out. But he told them they'd "always be sophomores" and hassled them until they pretty much all quit. Out of the great team they had. 4 kids from that class played senior year. Even one kid quit that was favored, but couldn't stand how he treated everyone else on the team. He's not a good person, coach, or anything else. I pray that he gets a different job as an administrator as he's looking to do, so that the program can have a caring coach that will lead high school aged kids that need a good example. Not a jerk tearing them down everyday. If you don't believe me, ask anyone who's played under him except for the extremely favored kids and they'll tell you they hated every minute of it. But they loved the game so they just stuck it out and pushed through it. Or go to an alumni scrimmage and watch him flex his position and make an example out of kids in front of everyone. So that everyone knows he's all powerful. It's disgusting!
caring citizens

Fort Scott, KS

#16 Feb 10, 2010
I really hope the administration is taking notice of this mans actions against our Fort Scott youth and takes it upon themselves to try and contact previous team members and hear what they have to say. It is my opinion that this is something that needs investigating. Fort Scott kids deserve better.
fsalum90

Fort Scott, KS

#17 Feb 10, 2010
Administration? Ha! What a joke! FSHS is a sorry excuse for an education. Good luck getting them to change anything that will make a positive difference.
tigeralumni

Fort Scott, KS

#18 Feb 10, 2010
Your exactly right. The administration is in dells front pocket. That's why nothing has changed and nothing will change as long as they are in there together.. people think he's a great coach because they are at least decent every year. People need to realize that there isn't much for kids to do in Fort Scott except play sports. Kids grow up going to games wanting to be like the kids they see on the court or field. Our teams are always going to be athletic enough to field a decent team and break a .500 record. It has nothing to do with him! Adults are the only ones who can change it though. The kids have tried and nothing happens. Someone has to take charge and you'll see everyone will follow!
formerplaya

Fort Scott, KS

#19 Feb 10, 2010
Finally a topic with some merit. I also played for him and I can tell you I hated every minute of it.But I am no quitter so I stuck it out. You never hear good job, its always what you do wrong, but his favorites can mess up all day long and you never hear a peep. His assistant could be an awesome coach if he would learn to speak up and not let Dell rip these kids apart and take away any confidence they might have had. He desroyed the baseball team and in time he will do the same to the basketball program. I have always thought it would be great to tell him face to face how I felt about how he treated us, but he is not worth the time and effort and he wouldn't even care.
caring citizen

Fort Scott, KS

#20 Feb 10, 2010
It has been my experience in life that something like this will go unnoticed until the citizens of Fort Scott are ready to join together and speak out as one. It will just take one to start the ball rolling. School Board would have to at least listen.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Scott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Signs of Ft. Scott 20 hr Cobra 3
Ray Coon Sat George 11
New jail Fri NoDoubt 23
Denise Apr 23 Sam 5
skankest females in fort scott. GO Apr 23 Sam 13
Gymnastics Apr 21 Woooooo 3
Amish Potty Problem (Jun '12) Apr 20 Cristiada 294
More from around the web

Fort Scott People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE