First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Not a fan

Milwaukee, WI

#1 Jan 29, 2013
When is the town of Fort scott ever going to change? When you clean up the filth!! Is anyone Proud to even Live in Fort Scott...?...
Born and Raised

United States

#2 Jan 29, 2013
The town has gone down hill I think nearly 65 percent of the population is on some kind of assistance so what do you expect.If the city rewarded home owners with a tax break for home improvements rather than raise taxes it might give people a reason to make their homes look better in return help the town look better. Then make people clean up their trash or fine them. Might help this town bring in a higher class of citizen. The only people that move here generally come here to get assistance the main reason SRS didnt leave Ft Scott cause to many people that live here need them here and if SRS would have left so would 65% of the population leaving this town a ghost town.
Agree and Disagree

Kansas City, MO

#3 Jan 30, 2013
Nobody moves to a town for assistance, it's state assistance. The same people getting food stamps in Fort Scott would qualify to get them elsewhere. You think if someone lived in a town (and needed help with food ect) that didn't have an SRS building then their kids would just starve? I moved there for college and left after two years. It wasn't a town I was proud to live in, I agree with you on that one! To many druggies and most people don't want to work. On the other hand there are some really nice people and stores, the college is great and who doesn't love Gunn Park?
dan

Fort Scott, KS

#4 Jan 30, 2013
There are to many druggies and crime is getting worse but the town is starting to die there are no jobs. And if u find one u don't make enough to pay bills. That's why most people in the town need some help.
ft scott guy

Wichita, KS

#5 Jan 30, 2013
Agree and Disagree wrote:
Nobody moves to a town for assistance, it's state assistance. The same people getting food stamps in Fort Scott would qualify to get them elsewhere. You think if someone lived in a town (and needed help with food ect) that didn't have an SRS building then their kids would just starve? I moved there for college and left after two years. It wasn't a town I was proud to live in, I agree with you on that one! To many druggies and most people don't want to work. On the other hand there are some really nice people and stores, the college is great and who doesn't love Gunn Park?
I agree and disagree with you, "Agree and Disagree".(Interesting way of addressing that, right?) I have talked to several people (singles) and families who have blatantly told me that the primary reason they have moved here is that it is so easy to get on welfare here. I realize "D & A" that it is state assistance, but maybe the local agency is too lenient (everyone can find loopholes-can you say job security?)??

When you put these agencies (government and faith based) that are willing to help, there will be those who feel they are entitled to everything without working for it.

I know that DCF (formerly SRS) and places like The Beacon, and Mother to Mother do have a place for those truly in need (I was in that spot once), but now I am been blessed with a decent job (I was raised and taught my kids to work for a living) here in FS with job security and may even retire here.

As a final note, since I don't ask for assistance and try to pay my own way, it is frustrating when I see those "on my dollar" not working (or working/getting paid under the table) buying the nice things and driving the newer cars that I can not afford!
It is Crap

Chanute, KS

#6 Jan 31, 2013
Makes me sick to stand in line with my off brand groceries and have a cart in front full of name brand soda, chips, ice cream and cart behind full of steaks and the works compaired to my hamburger. Why does it make me sick? Because I'm counting out change while they swipe their vision cards!! Each dirty kid standing there kicking and fusing at each other with their bottles of soda in their hands! Ya. Makes me sick that my kids stand there quietly knowing not to dare ask me for any extras while my hard earned money goes to pay these people to eat junk that my kids are afraid to ask for!!
dont do it

Fort Scott, KS

#7 Jan 31, 2013
I hope the fedral bill gets passed that everyone getting state or gov assiant will have to submit for UAs an Drug Testing as most people that have a JOB. And now few states ban them from playing lottery this may be hard to control i guess be going in right direction.

get a job an pay your way
ft scott guy

Wichita, KS

#8 Jan 31, 2013
dont do it wrote:
I hope the fedral bill gets passed that everyone getting state or gov assiant will have to submit for UAs an Drug Testing as most people that have a JOB. And now few states ban them from playing lottery this may be hard to control i guess be going in right direction.
get a job an pay your way
It's coming to reality soon, they're just not saying a lot about it. It will be a "rider" on another Congressional & House Bill.
dan

Fort Scott, KS

#9 Jan 31, 2013
Hope so they did that then sad part is more then half this town wouldn't get it lol
U people have no right

Fort Scott, KS

#10 Feb 3, 2013
What gives you people the right to judge other people just because they are lower class i dont think any of your last names are christ so that mens nothing gives you the right to judge other people maybe you should try walking in there shoes try living like them before you say somthing like this... lower class people have enough to worry about without a bunch of no live tech junkies siting around talking about people that you probly dont even know... Well realy you people are no better then anyone else in this entire world but since it makes you people feel better to think that the go for it........ THE PEOPLE REALY KNOW WHATS RIGHT AND WHATS WRONG AND THIS IS JUST WRONG....!!!!!
SICKOFU

Fort Scott, KS

#11 Feb 3, 2013
the thing that angers me is, people come on here complaining that they are behind people at wal mart spending their food stamps on cart loads of name brand food and junk food and have dirty kids..... Well... If you are that concerned about the filthy kids call welfare while they are in line with multiple cartloads of name brand food and junk food while you buy your hamburger. I received food stamps for my 4 kids for 3 months because I got laid off and my ex would not pay child support. I never bought cartloads of name brands. I bought what was on sale. My kids are always well most always clean. When we go out in public they are clean though. I also see people complaining about the people getting assistance going to the store in sweat pants. If the person was wearing name brand clothes you would complain about that too. Seems they can't win for anything. I know a family that works and receive food stamps because they don't make enough to cover all the bills and buy food. BTW none of them are on drugs or drink. They agree to the idea of mandatory drug testing before receiving food stamps.
Your Mornin Stink Pickle

Pittsburg, KS

#12 Feb 3, 2013
Sickofu- People are not complaining of ALL people on assistance, they are taking complaining about the ones taking advantage of the system. You should not be offended if you followed guidelines and were reasonable when you received assistance. I think most people are all about giving hand ups just not hand outs. It sounds as though you are still upset about some of your misfortunes, I feel for you going through hard times and I'm glad you were able to receive the help you needed. It sounds like you are a success story. Maybe you should be thankful instead of hateful. If you spent your hard earned money on any other item or service and you had the failure to deliver rate that our government had you would be upset as well. Maybe now that you have succeeded in getting off assistance maybe you will understand when the money comes out of your check to help up others. Ill lend you my tools that I paid for to help you get through but if you keep them it is called STEALING!
ft scott guy

Wichita, KS

#13 Feb 3, 2013
Thank you stink pickle for a calm, rational, synopsis of the discussion. I agree, and do give a helping hand up to those who truly need it. I personally see almost every day those who are abusing the system. I have heard them say (not to me obviously but quietly to others "Why work when I can get this (food, financial, etc).

Also, I personally know of those who are on full disability (saying they can't work) working for pay "under the table". I also have a family member who is claiming full disability, but can work but won't.
native

Fort Scott, KS

#14 Feb 3, 2013
I have known people with jobs who refuse to work. I can only assume they are collecting a paycheck since they seem not to care about their job or even know what they are doing. I've heard some say (not directly to me of course but to each other) "man, getting something for nothing is a piece of cake. I could do this the rest of my life."
WOW

Fort Scott, KS

#15 Feb 3, 2013
I see part of the point here. I know people getting assistance and they go buy candy and soda. I am not talking a piece of candy per child. I mean a load of candy for themselves and their children. They don't work and don't try. I also know a few families that work and get assistance because they don't make enough. They do not drive nice cars. As a matter of fact one family I know their car broke down and the husband walked to and from work over 7 miles each way to support his family and yes they do get food stamps. They do not buy all the B.S. They do several of the 5 for 25 meats and veggies and fruits and stuff like that I think I only see them buy snacks around birthdays like a cake mix and frosting. Not a bunch of crap each month. I understand gripping about the ones that abuse the system but (and no one here did this) referring to them as "Welfare Lackeys" is hurtful to all of them. The ones abusing the system couldn't care less what you call them. I know if they are doing nothing wrong they should not feel abused but, maybe they feel bad that they have to get F.S. to feed their families even though they work.
Curious

Fort Scott, KS

#16 Feb 3, 2013
ft scott guy wrote:
Thank you stink pickle for a calm, rational, synopsis of the discussion. I agree, and do give a helping hand up to those who truly need it. I personally see almost every day those who are abusing the system. I have heard them say (not to me obviously but quietly to others "Why work when I can get this (food, financial, etc).
Also, I personally know of those who are on full disability (saying they can't work) working for pay "under the table". I also have a family member who is claiming full disability, but can work but won't.
I’m curious how you “know” your relative is not disabled when there’s probably doctors, the Social Security Administration, a Federal judge, and a law firm that believe otherwise. Does your relative brag about scamming the feds or go water skiing or whatever? Or do you have special training or education in such matters? What evidence do you have that would be convincing?
tom

Fort Scott, KS

#17 Feb 3, 2013
want to hear something dumb. With this new health care that takes effect. People will be fined on taxes if they don't have ins. Ok. Some people would love to have it but jobs don't offer it and private ones cost to much. Then example about the state on if you have a family of 6 or above. You can not make over 600 a month. That dose very county to county but bourbon. Is 600 so we are going to have a jump in people not working because they can't afford health care messed up isent it we are not in a free country anymore
ft scott guy

Wichita, KS

#18 Feb 4, 2013
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m curious how you “know” your relative is not disabled when there’s probably doctors, the Social Security Administration, a Federal judge, and a law firm that believe otherwise. Does your relative brag about scamming the feds or go water skiing or whatever? Or do you have special training or education in such matters? What evidence do you have that would be convincing?
This is a relative of mine for over 30 years. No, the relative does not brag, but prefers not to work,(has worked in the past but always complained), always telling everyone they should feel sorry for them. I used this relative as an example of the mindset, as they DO NOT receive benefits since doctors, Social Security, and others believe THEY CAN WORK, but the relative says no one knows or understands what they go through.
ft scott guy

Wichita, KS

#19 Feb 4, 2013
tom wrote:
want to hear something dumb. With this new health care that takes effect. People will be fined on taxes if they don't have ins. Ok. Some people would love to have it but jobs don't offer it and private ones cost to much. Then example about the state on if you have a family of 6 or above. You can not make over 600 a month. That dose very county to county but bourbon. Is 600 so we are going to have a jump in people not working because they can't afford health care messed up isent it we are not in a free country anymore
My wife works at a job that does not provide insurance coverage, so that means that I have to come up with health care coverage. That means that I will have to come up with another $400 (or more) to cover my family. There goes my family's budget. Maybe one of us needs to quit so we can go on welfare?
Mr President

Fort Scott, KS

#20 Feb 4, 2013
Obamacare is FREE!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Scott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chemtrails 4 hr Snake peter 11
baby swing Sat baby swing 1
Jospeh Beerbower Harrassment Fri Disgusted Female 3
Fast food Fri Ethel 16
Jenna cowlishaw Feb 27 lucylynn 4
Best Building Contractors InTown? Feb 27 illusion 10
Amber Ross aka home wrecker Feb 27 OMG 12

Fort Scott News Video

Fort Scott Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fort Scott People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:36 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 5:36PM
Falcons release veteran running back Steven Jackson
Bleacher Report 8:55 PM
St. Louis Rams: 5 Best Options to Replace Joe Barksdale This Offseason
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Why the Browns Need to Stay Far Away from Bradford
NFL 7:00 AM
Weinke makes a Luck-Bradford collegiate comparison
Bleacher Report 9:14 PM
Is Kelce Destined for Stardom in 2015?