Suit filed against New Llano for pit ...

Suit filed against New Llano for pit bull ban

There are 15 comments on the KSLA-TV Shreveport story from Apr 18, 2014, titled Suit filed against New Llano for pit bull ban. In it, KSLA-TV Shreveport reports that:

A New Llano couple filed suit against the town in federal court Wednesday, claiming the town's ban on pit bulls and pit-bull-like breeds violates dog owners' equal protection, property and due process rights.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSLA-TV Shreveport.

Sandra Chlubna

Sturgeon Bay, WI

#1 Apr 18, 2014
Hooray! Go all the way.. we have your back. Fight and end BSL wherever it is found
Thumper

United States

#2 Apr 24, 2014
I don't seem to remember dogs being in the constitution....the only good pit bull is a dead one.
remarkable

Leesville, LA

#3 May 5, 2014
What a waste of money this will be. Dogs are not protected under our constitution. The city has the right to pass any ordnance within it's city limits. They had a public hearing and nobody was concerned enough to even show up for that. Now they want something done because a couple got a ticket. Absolutely remarkable.
dayumn

Leesville, LA

#4 May 5, 2014
No one should be able to tell you what kind of pet you choose. Bees kill more people every year than dogs and people have robbed bee hives for hundreds of years. I can go buy a queen bee and the bees can build a hive and we can all pray freddy boswell gets his ass tore up. Just an idea.
SeriouslyDoubtin g

Westlake, LA

#5 May 5, 2014
Silly New LLano, looking out for the safety their residents. I guess when they banned the lady from having bangel tigers that wrong. Let's just throw all the rules out the window, let everyone do what they please. People can be trusted to do the right thing. Right?
SeriouslyDoubtin g

Westlake, LA

#6 May 5, 2014
Ok and all the neighbors that griped about the family who had goats. You were wrong. And all neighbors who griped about the guy who has.\had chickens you were wrong. And that family who wants to grow illegal drugs, go right ahead No rules in NEW LLANO. NO one should be able to tell you what to do. Oh and the family who wants to let their yard look like a trash dump. Whatever. Oh and the guy who wants to play your music so loud my windows rattle. OK. No law should keep you quiet. Oh and the family who fights in their yard at 3 in the morning. Don't worry the neighbors won't call the cops. You have rights. Grandma you stand at the bus stop with a baseball bat just in case a neighbors dog is running loose at bus time. Sorry, you know they have rights. Senior citizens who walk in the morning with a stick to protect your self. Sorry, those other guys have rights. NL police officer, why are you being mean and writing that guy who was doing 40 in a 20 mph zone when kids were getting off busses ? Who do you think you are? Don't you know that guy has rights?

Who cares that my right to have a safe, clean, quiet neighborhood has been taken away.. You have rights, regardless of the cost to the rest of us. Silly us. We are sorry.
SeriouslyDoubtin g

Westlake, LA

#7 May 5, 2014
Oh and the one right you did have, we all have......to go to the council meetings to vote to make the most of your rights. YOU DIDNT USE.
and before you throw comments out like I must be a uneducated local who has never been were people have rights. You are wrong. Traveled the world. In developed and undeveloped areas. End of argument.
peep this

Leesville, LA

#8 May 6, 2014
SeriouslyDoubting wrote:
Oh and the one right you did have, we all have......to go to the council meetings to vote to make the most of your rights. YOU DIDNT USE.
and before you throw comments out like I must be a uneducated local who has never been were people have rights. You are wrong. Traveled the world. In developed and undeveloped areas. End of argument.
So all locals are uneduacted? Nice way to catagorize you neighbors. I have traveled the world and fought for your right to call US that. Laws are great and keep the majority of the population in check but not all. Do not throw rocks at someone who only throws words you do not agree with. How many old ladies have you heard of being attacked at a bus stop in new llano?
Towns make local laws thru the council that alot of times make said laws to look good. Alot of those local laws they wanna force on the people but they dont apply to the council or the mayor etc. Hell even state laws dont apply to them ie: speed limits (just saying). So long story is STFU
peep this

Leesville, LA

#9 May 6, 2014
SeriouslyDoubting wrote:
Silly New LLano, looking out for the safety their residents. I guess when they banned the lady from having bangel tigers that wrong. Let's just throw all the rules out the window, let everyone do what they please. People can be trusted to do the right thing. Right?
BENGAL...B E N G A L
peep this

Leesville, LA

#10 May 6, 2014
SeriouslyDoubting wrote:
Ok and all the neighbors that griped about the family who had goats. You were wrong. And all neighbors who griped about the guy who has.\had chickens you were wrong. And that family who wants to grow illegal drugs, go right ahead No rules in NEW LLANO. NO one should be able to tell you what to do. Oh and the family who wants to let their yard look like a trash dump. Whatever. Oh and the guy who wants to play your music so loud my windows rattle. OK. No law should keep you quiet. Oh and the family who fights in their yard at 3 in the morning. Don't worry the neighbors won't call the cops. You have rights. Grandma you stand at the bus stop with a baseball bat just in case a neighbors dog is running loose at bus time. Sorry, you know they have rights. Senior citizens who walk in the morning with a stick to protect your self. Sorry, those other guys have rights. NL police officer, why are you being mean and writing that guy who was doing 40 in a 20 mph zone when kids were getting off busses ? Who do you think you are? Don't you know that guy has rights?
Who cares that my right to have a safe, clean, quiet neighborhood has been taken away.. You have rights, regardless of the cost to the rest of us. Silly us. We are sorry.
You compare apples and oranges and I see where some could think you are all uneduacted. Just a perception.
Cheering

Leesville, LA

#11 May 13, 2014
remarkable wrote:
What a waste of money this will be. Dogs are not protected under our constitution. The city has the right to pass any ordnance within it's city limits. They had a public hearing and nobody was concerned enough to even show up for that. Now they want something done because a couple got a ticket. Absolutely remarkable.
I guess the town should have properly written the ordinance in a way that allows due process to these dog owners! Yes the town has a right to pass laws, but they must not be in violation of state/federal laws, and must also be mindful if the constitutional rights of the citizens.
Epic fail

United States

#12 May 13, 2014
peep this wrote:
<quoted text>You compare apples and oranges and I see where some could think you are all uneduacted. Just a perception.
Just policing the spelling police; UNEDUCATED U N E D U C A T E D
Matt

United States

#13 Jun 30, 2014
SeriouslyDoubting wrote:
look I own boxers and never had a complaint on them and was given a citation for being in violation of the pit bull ban I don't have a problem with any law but if you make a law you need to have the people who are supposed to enforce the law properly educated on how to enforce that law not just hand out tickets and make you prove your innocence
shark 1

Leesville, LA

#14 Jul 2, 2014
dayumn wrote:
No one should be able to tell you what kind of pet you choose. Bees kill more people every year than dogs and people have robbed bee hives for hundreds of years. I can go buy a queen bee and the bees can build a hive and we can all pray freddy boswell gets his ass tore up. Just an idea.
For real, you going with that ?You the city Joker?
kahichz88

Lake Charles, LA

#15 Jul 6, 2014
The law is deemed unconstitutional because of how it's written, not about the dogs to which it is applied. New Llano certainly has the right to pass whatever laws they'd like, but they do not have carte blanche to write a vague law with multiple interpretations and then enforce it in any way they see fit. The way the law reads opens anyone who owns any dog up to the potential of citation, whether the dog is in fact a pit bull or not. Plus, the way they are enforcing it is a violation of humans' constitutional rights. They use DNA tests clearly labeled as not for use to determine breed, and they have officers making the determination without any official training. The accused have no effective course of action other than to get rid of the dog or move. They have no due process, which violates their rights.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort-Polk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
test May '16 test 1
Did ur Car lot get stiffed by Dayton Neitzel (Feb '10) Dec '15 Brad- Former Neig... 15
News Tanks and cavalry, Louisiana Maneuvers. U.S. Ar... (Dec '11) Oct '15 Mr Charlie 38
Internet providers (Apr '15) Apr '15 Georgia girl 1
News Army drops below 500,000 soldiers on active duty (Feb '15) Feb '15 havemercy 1
Outside food vendors (Feb '15) Feb '15 Dave Irwin 1
News 'Last shot' for public to show support for Fort... (Jan '15) Jan '15 tremendous 35

Fort-Polk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort-Polk Mortgages