First Prev
of 4
Next Last
VERITAS

North Adams, MA

#1 Apr 25, 2010
would anyone like to take a break for all the nonsence and take a stroll DOWN MEMORY LANE?
Goldfish

Troy, NY

#2 Apr 25, 2010
This sounds wonderful and I think alot of people would love to hear all about how wonderful this town was and still could be if we all cared.
VERITAS

North Adams, MA

#3 Apr 25, 2010
you are so very right,spread the word.
Shiznit

Plymouth, MA

#4 Apr 25, 2010
Remember When the the old home days parade was such a large event that it sported at least 3 or more of the old 40&8 vehicles and started in three locations. One location being the Catholic church parking lot and came down route 80 and the other two locations being the elementary school bus garage parking lot as well as the high school parking lot. From those locations it traveled down high and main streets to merge with route 80 then turned down canal street finally ending at the luxuray mill and town hall parking lots. After which everyone migrated to the old grey sheds behind the fire station to to eat at the Firemans Chicken BBQ
Anonymous

North Adams, MA

#5 Apr 25, 2010
the "RED MEN"scared heck out of kids,BEN FRANKLINS 5&10.The smell of stale beer coming from the "Greely".Heavenly,fo r real.big Memorial Day Parade .and school bands,lots of them,now we have 1 maybe and you have to pay them.Firemen Fair and thats what it was ,all firemens games,and all were proud as( excuse expression )punch.OH MA I won a Goldfish.Think I'll name it Rosie!
Plain

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Apr 25, 2010
ice cream socials in the park, the pool hall, Stewarts had waitress'...
ANewMonthAnother Check

Argyle, NY

#7 Apr 25, 2010
I remember when less than 10% of this village was on welfare...now its more like 75%. On a positive note I do remember having block dances. There was a phone booth downtown by the shoe store.
Maggie

Poland, NY

#8 Apr 25, 2010
The old Ben Franklin store. YOu could find such neat treasures there.
matthew vosburgh

Lagrange, GA

#9 Apr 25, 2010
great times we used to be in the parade with my dad with StJ firedept. was great times
Shiznit

Plymouth, MA

#10 Apr 26, 2010
Stewart & Bergen

When a hardware store actually had quality american made hardware.
Jake Prell

Poland, NY

#11 Apr 26, 2010
The Greely, what a classy place! Don Schwartz with his horse tied to a tree in the park while he got drunk. Jake and horses?
milly pierce

North Adams, MA

#12 Apr 26, 2010
you could always tell spring was officialy here when you drove by Marcellino's store and all the flowers were out,now just an empty nothing.how things change.
Otis the town drunk

Norwalk, CT

#13 Apr 26, 2010
I remember when the guy next door would come home drunk and start beatin his wife for no reason after his step daughter moved out in a hurry and went to live with her Aunt.....but I was just a child at the time and didn't know what was going on.

did you?
Shiznit

Plymouth, MA

#14 Apr 27, 2010
My Word Otis,

It sure is a small world. I do believe we used to be neighbors. I remember that guy too.
Veritas

North Adams, MA

#15 Apr 27, 2010
Anyone rember what FRONT PORCHES where actully used for?The last tha ole fashion happened was the flood,everyone out walking ,people setting on stoops no ,tv,etc.everyone being friendly to neighbors,power on all the moles ran back in thier holes.And you depend on your neighbor and the shocker being you REALY knew them.It was "PLEASANTVILLE"
Otis the town drunk

New Hyde Park, NY

#16 Apr 27, 2010
I thought porches were fer piling up with construction junk and old broken furniture with a clear sheet of plastic over it or maybe a moldy shower curtain. Who wants to sit outside with all that junk.
Oleander

Troy, NY

#17 Apr 27, 2010
Despite the broken furniture on some porches small towns abound with good memories and decent people. I remember the Old Fashion Days Parade real well. Who can forget the FTP school band under the direction of the great Rex Pryor? It was magic!
While the flood was devastating it did bring out the best in people. If FTP, STJ and CAN (along with the rest of the Mohawk Valley) are EVER to rebound, that spirit of cooperation and compassion needs to be cultivated until it becomes second nature. Only then you'll begin to see some real progress.
Come on, Otis, get with the program. You set a real tone on these "Topix" threads, start weaving in the occasional positive comment now and again.
gettinolder

Argyle, NY

#18 Apr 27, 2010
Yep- I remember when that parade had all the high school bands from the area coming in-they would all stop in front of the judges stand and compete. I would love to see a parade with more than one band in it again-it used to be fun to see the different colorguards, drum majors and the like! I couldn't agree with Oleander more-bring back that spirit of cooperation-
Oleander

Troy, NY

#19 Apr 27, 2010
South Kortright Drum and Bugle Corps ROCKED:)
EPDOWD

North Adams, MA

#20 Apr 27, 2010
Otis ,go on cajo topix, school sysyem topic ,then let the enlightened ones,have some of your wisdom,PLEASE. Now Who remembers the the bus stop in front of daves,1dime from ft.pl.to canjo.Movie theater,Doctor that knew what was wrong and it only cost $5.makes you wonder .kids playing WOW.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Plain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bakery for sale? 58 min Humpy 11
Karawyga principal 7 hr Joke 69
Leanne Reynolds 17 hr Metok 9
Cherry valley school Mon Gre 10
School video Sun Joke 4
Who are the hottest guys in Ft. Plain Jun 26 Sugartits 2
Hot teachers at fp Jun 25 Jax 15
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Plain Mortgages