Putting Fort Payne on the map

Putting Fort Payne on the map

Posted in the Fort Payne Forum

Anonymous

Lakeland, FL

#1 May 2, 2012
I bought a home there in 2007. I absolutely loved it but had to move back to Florida because of lack doctors knowledgable about pain management and Lyme disaes that my son contracted while hunting and fishing.I would gladly move back if town was open to new things and growth. It was very boring in the winter and nothing for family to do. Here are my thoughts on improving the life of residents.
The only things that made not staying there was no optimism for growth. The mayor and other political parties could bring Fort Payne up to date. Why are residents so afraid of change?
There is so many good things that could bring money and happiness to the town.
A Mall off 59 would be a start. The closest mall is Gadsden and that's not big enough to be considered a mall. The best and closest for shopping is Chattanooga. Residents have to travel to TN to get any nice styish clothing or anything else. A mall built into a mountain or something that creates interest would bring tourism there to see the sites as well as shopping. I have brought this up before but no one listens. Just something unique like Minnesota has. A rollercoaster inside for winter months.
The fairgrounds rarely gets used. They should have weekend rodeo's and horse shows for family activites. This would give families something else to do besides the lame flea market Collinsville on the weekend. All that is a puppy mill. The rodeo's would give kids of all ages and adults something to get interested in and keep them out trouble. There are all kinds of events with horses that could utilized. Consession stands with hotdogs and prizes with ribbons is what I remember as kid and that was a blast! A small fee to enter the classes could be used for prizes and a fee to enter ther grounds would pay for the costs of using the facility.
I know bringing in a mall would help increase jobs, revenue for the town with more tax money. It would bring in apartments to that area near the mall and give more people a place to spend their money.
I'm sure more resturants, night life with entertainment would help also. The towns dies around 5pm every day.
If nothing ever changes, there is no money to pave the roads on the mountain that are comletely worn out.
Bringing in the Lottery and some gambling is another good revenue maker. People there have nothing to do including the elderly. Bingo halls so that those citizens have something fun to do. This is one of the only states that refuses to grow and get up with the times. I can't believe that when the kids grow up there, they wouldn't want to remain living there. If they ever left and really saw how most people live, they would not want to stay there. It's like the old folks are afraid of change but if they don't start wanting more, that place will never be anything other than what it is. A Ghost town, that police have nothing to do but harrass the citizens. They ticket the everyone multiple times because there is no other way for the county to make money.
I would love to hear some of the ideas that Fort Payne Dekalb County residents have to about growing the place. What kinds of things would they like to have near by so they don't have to burn expensive gas and have to travel so far away to achieve anything. I believe that if the town grew, more healthacre professionals would want to live there. I see sign on bonus's advertised all the time along with the classified for employment for doctors and nurses but they don't want to live in a place that is so quiet and not growing. So they stay away.

What are thoughts on this? Are you really happy living in a place with nothing to offer?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Payne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fort Payne Music Thread (May '12) Dec 23 Musikologist 25
DHR corruption Dec '16 barto 2
todays colors at color code (Oct '14) Dec '16 Dude 11
News DeKalb Co. DHR employee charged with public int... (Apr '15) Dec '16 VFK 2
News Hartselle to ban nightclubs, bars: (Oct '10) Dec '16 ThomasA 3
Happens way more than anyone knows Nov '16 Whistleblower 1
bunch of weiners Nov '16 bob 1

Fort Payne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance