Wootten won't seek school board

Full story: Times-Journal

DeKalb County school board member Terry Wootten, R-Ider, said Monday he would not seek another term in office.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Give_it_away

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2010

Judged:

Why is Billy Dalton running as a Republican? Hasn't him and his whole family been democrats their whole lives?? And who would want him on the school board???
keeble

Henagar, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Billy is a good man. But, why would want to run for school board, he is so busy with all the other things and can't finish what he starts. To many pokers in fire.
Love HIM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

I would say any many that cheats on his wife is NOT a good man! He is as crooked as the rest of the folks left on the Ider city council! I'm a republican but this is one time I will be voting for a democrat! Heaven help the schools and the children.

Since: Mar 10

Henagar, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2010

Judged:

Love HIM, please be careful what you say on here. I have known the Daltons my entire life, and while I agree the he is not the right person for the job, his children do not need to read about his indiscretions on the internet! Thank you
life_in_Ider

Austell, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

Wootten changes mind on race
From staff reports
The Times-Journal
Published March 31, 2010

Reversing an earlier decision, DeKalb County school board member Terry Wootten said Wednesday he would seek another term in office.

Earlier this month, Wootten, R–Ider, said he would not run for another term on the board of education but said “after many days of careful and prayerful consideration,” he changed his mind. Wootten, a two-term incumbent, currently holds the District 5 school board seat, which includes Ider, Valley Head and Moon Lake schools.

“As a board member I’ve always tried to case my votes based on what was in the best interest of our students. I have always voted against recommendations that I felt did not fit that category,” Wootten said, in a written statement.“I have tried to do what’s right for our taxpayers, students and school employees regardless of the political consequences. Also, as a fiscal conservatives, I’ve often voted against spending recommendations that I considered too expensive and wasteful.

“This has often put me at odds with other board members and the superintendent – with a sense of frustration about the direction our school system was moving, I regretfully decided to step down,” he said.

Wootten said after he made the announcement,“numerous citizen and school employees” contacted him, asking him to reconsider his decision not to seek re-election.

“They have given me many reasons why I should reconsider with the main one being they want me to continue voting for what’s right and opposing those things that appear to be based on political expediency and not in the best interest of our students and school employees,” Wooten said.

William Billy Dalton, of Ider, has also qualified to run for the seat as a Republican, according to Royce Lader, chairman of the DeKalb County Republican Party. Dalton is the owner of Corner Stone Funeral Chapel in Ider.

On the Democratic side, Glenn Phillips, of Valley Head, has qualified to run for the position, according to Ed Burke, chairman of the DeKalb County Democratic Party. Phillips is a retired educator.

Daisy

Bryant, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

Thank God Terry decided to run again. He is a good man with good morals. He puts his family first. Anyone who is going to even consider running for school board, or any other office for that matter, should take care of family first and business second, and that is something that Terry does, but his competition (Dalton) is certainly lacking in that area. Best of luck, Terry!
T_Bird

Flat Rock, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

Give_it_away wrote:
Why is Billy Dalton running as a Republican? Hasn't him and his whole family been democrats their whole lives?? And who would want him on the school board???
No they are not all Dems.
T_Bird

Flat Rock, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Judged:

Love HIM wrote:
I would say any many that cheats on his wife is NOT a good man! He is as crooked as the rest of the folks left on the Ider city council! I'm a republican but this is one time I will be voting for a democrat! Heaven help the schools and the children.
Billy Dalton is not on the city council and all people make mistake in their life.
Daisy

Bryant, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

I think they meant he is crooked like them, not that he is on council, and yes, people do make mistakes, but most people try to make ammends for their mistakes instead of lying to everyone (including their wife, in this case) to cover them up.

And to go back to what you said about them not all being dems, his father, mother and brother all are. Billy always claimed to be until now. He can be affiliated with any party he wants, but I personally am not a fan of anyone who jumps ship like that, and I am certainly not a Billy Dalton fan.
T_Bird

Flat Rock, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Judged:

Billy's father died many years ago, his mother and sister were murdered in the 90's and I never knew of them ever saying they were Dems and I knew them a very long time. The Billy I know is a nice, helpful guy to which I have no problem with him.

To go back to mistakes there's just as many that try to cover them up as they are that admit them.
Daisy

Bryant, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

T_Bird wrote:
Billy's father died many years ago, his mother and sister were murdered in the 90's and I never knew of them ever saying they were Dems and I knew them a very long time. The Billy I know is a nice, helpful guy to which I have no problem with him.
To go back to mistakes there's just as many that try to cover them up as they are that admit them.
You are thinking of Billy Jack Dalton. He is a good man. The one running is William "Billy" Dalton. He is Grady Dalton's son and his mother and father are both very much alive. He has one brother and no sisters. He is the owner of Corner Stone Funeral Chapel in Ider. He and Billy Jack are two very different people. Hope that clears this up. If Billy Jack ran for office, I would vote for him!
T_Bird

Flat Rock, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2010

Daisy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are thinking of Billy Jack Dalton. He is a good man. The one running is William "Billy" Dalton. He is Grady Dalton's son and his mother and father are both very much alive. He has one brother and no sisters. He is the owner of Corner Stone Funeral Chapel in Ider. He and Billy Jack are two very different people. Hope that clears this up. If Billy Jack ran for office, I would vote for him!
Yea I realized that after I got to thinking about it and talking to my Aunt (Billy Jacks sister)..lol I've always got those 2 mixed up because I've always called Billy Jack just Billy.
patriot 2

Henagar, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

Judged:

T_Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
Billy Dalton is not on the city council and all people make mistake in their life.
We need men like mark young on the school board. Is he going to get your vote.
GotYa

Flat Rock, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2010

patriot 2 wrote:
<quoted text> We need men like mark young on the school board. Is he going to get your vote.
hahahahahahahahahaha you have got to be kidding!!!!!!
patriot 2

Henagar, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

GotYa wrote:
<quoted text>
hahahahahahahahahaha you have got to be kidding!!!!!!
YEP WAS KIDDING, we all need a good laugh.
bull

Henagar, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2010

Judged:

patriot 2 wrote:
<quoted text>YEP WAS KIDDING, we all need a good laugh.
Be nice he has got married or going to get married if he will stop drinking. just look at him now that funny
patriot2

Henagar, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2010

Judged:

bull wrote:
<quoted text>
Be nice he has got married or going to get married if he will stop drinking. just look at him now that funny
no thanks. I do not want to look at his fat a$$ hanging out his trousers. jeez man .
R_U_KIDDN

Trussville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Judged:

Billy Dalton cheats, lies, uses others,and tears families apart to cover his own butt...why on earth would anyone want him representing our schools? Thank you Terry for running again!
Daisy

Bryant, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Judged:

R_U_KIDDN wrote:
Billy Dalton cheats, lies, uses others,and tears families apart to cover his own butt...why on earth would anyone want him representing our schools? Thank you Terry for running again!
Sounds like you know him pretty well. I am in full agreement with you. He does NOT belong on the school board. Anyone who really knows him will tell you that.
Me did it

Flat Rock, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2010

Judged:

Corinthiansrule wrote:
Love HIM, please be careful what you say on here. I have known the Daltons my entire life, and while I agree the he is not the right person for the job, his children do not need to read about his indiscretions on the internet! Thank you
Maybe he need to stay home at night. The kids would know daddy is home

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fort Payne Discussions

Search the Fort Payne Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Fans show up in droves to Alabama concert Jul 4 Buck 2
JAMES AND COMPANY antique flooring in Collinsville Jul 3 METH HEAD HATER 1
John Hunter (Feb '13) Jul 1 still curious 4
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) Jun 27 Ghost Wasp 200
dekalb co deputy arrested by ABI (Oct '10) Jun 21 everunforgiven 101
Ft Payne Police (Jul '09) Jun 21 everunforgiven 25
AL Who do you support for Governor in Alabama in 2... (Oct '10) Jun 17 Rep 704
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fort Payne Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••