Authorities: Baby dies after parents ...

Authorities: Baby dies after parents shun medical help

There are 28 comments on the WAFF-TV Huntsville story from Jan 29, 2009, titled Authorities: Baby dies after parents shun medical help. In it, WAFF-TV Huntsville reports that:

A newborn's death is being investigated after the parents allegedly chose not to seek medical treatment when she was born.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAFF-TV Huntsville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
smg

Cartersville, GA

#1 Jan 30, 2009
God is still in control
SO SAD

United States

#2 Jan 31, 2009
I understand that the Rock Ridge people trust in the Lord and that's great. But...it's seems quite a few people have died from that church in the past few years. It makes me wonder, Did they die because it was the Lord's will or because the people (the one's praying for the sick) ain't were they need to be to get these people healed? I don't want to say anything bad about the people and I do believe in healing and trusting in the Lord BUT I think it takes MANY years of going to church and praying and having the Holy ghost to attempt having a child at home or anything like that. I don't see how things like this can go on without someone getting in to major trouble and people's kids start getting taken away? I know they will depend on the Lord to fully take care of them . Mother's have lost children that would have lived if they had been taken to the doctor or hospital. I don't see how the Tharp family won't be charged with murder unless this baby had some sort of birth defect that would have been life threatening. If this baby died because her lungs were not developed then the family will probably be charged with child neglect or possibly murder? If there isn't any charges brought against the M & D then that will be a Miracle! Only God would be able to get them outta that! Because a lot of people feel that they killed that baby. Not by their own hands but because this was a living child that would have lived if she were taken to a hospital!(Unless she had a defect or something like that.) I can't imagine the pain that the Tharp's must be feeling right now. I feel so sorry for them. Everyone please pray for them.
concerned citizen

Springville, AL

#3 Jan 31, 2009
I can't believe the police are even involved and that the news is even reporting this trash. We still live in America if a person chooses not have a medical birth then thats their choice this could have still happened in a hospital for all we know unless foul play is involved. This is crazy lets look at all the mothers and babies that die in hospitals because of epidurals and interventions that are sometimes not necessary, they seem to be swept under the rug and kept hush hush even in this very small town. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. It is never easy old or young. Bless there hearts for having this baby so young in Al. they could have aborted it so where are all you screaming outraged citizens then. They have lost there baby forever what could be worse punishment than to have to live with that every day why add insult to injury this is absolutely insane people need to mind there own business.
So Sad

Oakvale, WV

#4 Feb 5, 2009
I know the church the family attends. I believe the baby died because it was premature and undeveloped. I feel these people do not have the right to let their child die. If THEY want to trust in the Lord with THEIR LIVES then that's THEIR decision. I don't think they should get to choose for the child! The baby could hardly breath or eat because she was premature. If her mother had went to a Dr, her preterm labor could have been stopped OR if the child had been born in the hospital she would be alive right now (unless she had a defect-which we will know after the autopsy)

I am not sure how old you are or if you are male or female BUT if your son or daughter had a child that was perfectly healthy but needed a little medical intervention, could you just stand by and watch the child die? You say it's THEIR choice! Would you stand by their decision if it were your grandchild?

All I can say is Keep a eye on this story, you will see, more will come of this. It won't be long before the people of this church will have trouble like other's you see on the news. The bible has to be fulfilled and they will try to force these people to change their ways. Some will stand strong and other's will give in.
Holiness Preacher

Enterprise, AL

#5 Feb 12, 2009
First of all some of you folks should do some research before you make comments! According to a study done by CNN.COM , at least 2 million babies die after their first hour of birth "in the hospital" another 2 million die after their first 24 hours " in the hospital" and another 3 million are still born " in the hospital"!So how can you say that if the baby were born in the Hospital it would have lived? I know of a young couple several years ago that had a daughter and she was born in the hospital, she was taken for her regular checkups given all her shots, etc. etc., and when she was a few months old she died! Doctors did cpr, hooked her to all kinds of machines and she STILL DIED! God is the man who gives life, Christ went down to hell and took the keys of death away from the devil, and he still has them today! Just because we don't doctor doesen't mean we're crazy, God created the first man any way, and he still knows how to take care of him. I find it hard to believe you can call yourself a christian and not believe in the divine healing power of God! Some of you only show your ignorance by your comments. Put yourself in this family's situation and ask yourself would you want to be persecuted? And by the way How do you know our people? If you are one of the people who associates yourself with our people you should be ashamed to get on here and talk about another child of God!
So Sad

United States

#6 Feb 12, 2009
If you are talking about Emma then it should be mentioned that she had a heart defect that would have required a heart transplant at birth. If this would have been found at birth then she could have had a transplant or the people could have prayed and healed her.(You may be talking of someone different?)

The Tharp baby could have died at the hospital but the courts will not view it that way. They will look at the autopsy and if there aren't any defects or anything that shows this baby wouldn't have survived then they will likely charge the parents. Undeveloped lungs are highly treatable. I don't think they will charge the parents with manslaughter because they don't deserve it. They are young and this is what they have been taught to do since they were little. I think if they get charged at all then it will be child neglect resulting in death. Because they neglected to get medical assistance to their child, who was in need of medical assistance(This is what I read online not how I feel.) I have researched many cases online of circumstances like these and most are charged with Child neglect and then have some years of probation. Most parents have tried to argue Freedom of Religion BUT if you research as I did you will find that the courts don't consider this when it comes to children dieing. I think most of the attention will be focused on the church because of recent happenings with other's children. I don't want any of these people to lose their children. Church people are going to receive persecution whether it be with their children or snake handling(churches in the North & South).
Also I didn't say I went to church(church people shouldn't be on here AT ALL) and I don't think y'all are crazy. I hope I have enough faith to trust in the Lord like that one day but I know I will let my children decide if and when they choose to do they same.
My point of view is through carnal eyes not spiritual so our opinions will differ. I am sorry to upset you but I have researched this and as I said before if they don't get charged then that will be the miracle...I believe the Lord can prevent them from getting in trouble. Let me make it clear-I DO NOT wish anything bad on these people or any of the church people!! I am simply giving my opinion(that's what this site is for)!

If the autopsy comes back that this child had a heart, lung, liver defect or something along that line then I don't think there will be any charges.
Holiness Preacher

Enterprise, AL

#7 Feb 13, 2009
First of all Jesus did not heal "everyone" although he had the power to do so, so even if we could we could not heal everyone. He could not heal some because of "unbelief". And if he couldn't heal because of unbelief what can we do? I was speaking of Emma, but just as you said, "if" it had been caught at birth so why wasn't it? Because like "all" human beings, even christians, they make mistakes. That is one reason we trust in God, their are several other reasons, the main one is because the Bible said "The Just SHALL LIVE BY FAITH". And a person doesn't have to be a christian for years before they start depending on God for everything, which is what trusting God is about, not just healing, but all things. Brother "Sweet Ball" from ages Ky was asked one time what made him start trusting God, His reply was " I GOT SAVED". Plain and simple if a person wants to serve God to the fullest, he will "TRUST GOD". It is a persecuted way, that's why not everyone does it......
So Sad

Oakvale, WV

#8 Feb 14, 2009
I was wondering if you could tell me where in the bible does it talk about trusting in the Lord with your children's life? Not trying to be start or rude but I honestly want to know if it actually says anything about it? Not sure if I had ever heard that preached before? Just Curious??
So Sad

Oakvale, WV

#9 Feb 14, 2009
Meant to say "Not trying to be SMART or rude" LOL
Holiness

Enterprise, AL

#10 Feb 16, 2009
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he "should go" and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Holiness

Enterprise, AL

#11 Feb 16, 2009
Genesis 22:1-18 Abraham takes Isaac to offer him as sacrifice, God provides a ram instead. That's trusting God. Abraham believed if he had to sacrifice Isaac God would raise nhim from the dead. We don't believe in sacrificing our children, but in leaving them in God's hands. He gave them and he can take them, who better to trust with your children? A man who makes mistakes every day? Or God WHO NEVER MAKES MISTAKES??? God performed the first surgery anyway, when he made Adam to fall asleep and took his rib and formed Eve, and closed up the flesh instead thereof.....never left a scar either.....
So Sad

United States

#12 Feb 21, 2009
God moved for them, cause other people in similar circumstances got charges brought against them.
Holiness

Enterprise, AL

#13 Feb 21, 2009
Looks like God is "still" working miracles! Case closed, no charges! Just goes to show you if you "TRUST GOD" he will move for his children! By the way didn't you say miracle? I'm glad the God we serve still specializes in them! Another battle won by God for his little children! I am glad our fate is not left in the hands of men, but in the hands of God! Praise God for VICTORY!!
So Sad

United States

#14 Feb 22, 2009
Seems so hard for me to consider this a "Victory" because a child still died. Kinda confusing really...there wasn't a BATTLE either? I am sure the parents are relieved that there wasn't any charges brought against them (they didn't deserved to be charged) but I doubt that helps them with their sorrow.

Extremely Sad!
mia

Enterprise, AL

#15 Feb 23, 2009
So Sad wrote:
I know the church the family attends. I believe the baby died because it was premature and undeveloped. I feel these people do not have the right to let their child die. If THEY want to trust in the Lord with THEIR LIVES then that's THEIR decision. I don't think they should get to choose for the child! The baby could hardly breath or eat because she was premature. If her mother had went to a Dr, her preterm labor could have been stopped OR if the child had been born in the hospital she would be alive right now (unless she had a defect-which we will know after the autopsy)
I am not sure how old you are or if you are male or female BUT if your son or daughter had a child that was perfectly healthy but needed a little medical intervention, could you just stand by and watch the child die? You say it's THEIR choice! Would you stand by their decision if it were your grandchild?
All I can say is Keep a eye on this story, you will see, more will come of this. It won't be long before the people of this church will have trouble like other's you see on the news. The bible has to be fulfilled and they will try to force these people to change their ways. Some will stand strong and other's will give in.
Well it looks like God is still in charge of it all, the bible sure is being fulfilled because God said he would stand by his own!
mia

Enterprise, AL

#16 Feb 23, 2009
Well it looks like the bible is still being fulfilled God is still in charge and He said He'd stand by and take care of his own!
Holiness

Enterprise, AL

#17 Feb 24, 2009
Not being charged helps their feelings, but the HOLY GHOST has helped them in their grief! No matter how you feel about this situation, the fact is God did a miracle when they did not press charges, you said that yourself. So if you feel they were in the wrong why would God have came to their rescue? Because they TRUST IN HIM, THAT'S WHY. Trusting God does not mean you will be healed every time, it just means you are willing to wait on him whether he heals you or not. The Hebrew children in the furnace, told the king we are not careful to answer you, our God whom we serve continually serve is able to deliver us out of your hand, but three words stick out in that scripture....."BUT IF NOT" we still will not bow down to your idol. It is for that reason, that TRUST, That the Lord himself came down and got in the furnace with them, and we all know how the story ended. Just as in this case, man was against the children of God, but God proved his power and delivered his childrenone more time! You cannot fight against God, he has never lost a battle! PRAISE GOD!
So Sad

United States

#18 Feb 24, 2009
Didn't say it WASN"T a miracle, just thought victory wasn't quite the right word. If they(the parents) would have had to go to court and had a trial AND then won the trial (be found innocent) then that would have been a battle that they would have won, that I would consider a Victory.(And I am not saying that that is what should have happened, just using it as a example!)

It IS a miracle that the Lord didn't let them get charged with anything because a lot of other people have been charged in similar circumstances. I am not trying to say that it isn't a miracle and sorry if it sounds that way to anyone. That's the bad thing about posting things online, everyone can take what you say differently. Just because I am not saying PRAISE GOD and HALLUJAH you assume I don't think it was a miracle or something good that happened. It was good but I don't want to forget that a baby died (and that is extremely sad). And Yes I know that the Lord has helped them and will continue to. And that I am thankful for.

I still think it should be the child's choice to trust in the Lord (when they get older).
Holiness

Enterprise, AL

#19 Feb 26, 2009
We do not "force" our children to trust the Lord, we ask them what they want us to do, and the answer we get is what we have taught them is right, PRAY. Not everyone in our church trusts the Lord, but we are taught it is right. Last thing I'll say is the Bible says Cursed is every man that leans on the arm of flesh, BUT Blessed is the man that trusteth in the Lord. I would rather be Blessed than Cursed.AMEN.
So Sad

United States

#20 Feb 26, 2009
That is kinda irrelevant. How is a 6 hr old infant supposed to tell you they want to or don't want to go to the Dr?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Payne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Michelle Kelly Jul 13 Toby 1
News Alabama's Still a Hometown Band On a Spectacula... (May '12) Jul 6 Mr wonderful 6
court referral program (Apr '14) May '17 Free the citizians 8
Ashley Goddard (Sep '14) May '17 Renae Kenyon 15
todays colors at color code (Oct '14) Apr '17 Lester Freeman 13
Dallas Burt dba Home Tamers (Nov '11) Mar '17 jjohn 18
cash express Feb '17 jackson 1

Fort Payne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Payne Mortgages