JJSFla

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Jun 24, 2010
May have an opportunity to relocate to the area and I was curious to hear from locals the positive and negative aspects of the area.

Any input is appreciated
JJ
Current Resident

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Jun 25, 2010
Hi JJ.. I've lived in Ringgold now for about 6 1/2 years. I really love it. It's a beautiful area, great schools (Catoosa County) and close enough to Chattanooga to enjoy what it has to offer.

I really don't have any complaints to note yet. Good luck with your decision!
JJSFla

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for the input.
I have been doing some research online and it looks like a nice area with a lot of nature and outdoor activities. Is there a decent variety of cultural activities to go along with the outdoors?

How long of a trip (ballpark) to Chattanooga?.
Current Resident

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jun 28, 2010
It's only about 10-15 minutes by interstate to Chattanooga.

There are not a ton of activities going on in Ringgold.. but Chattanooga has lots of things going on all year around. Music, arts, etc... I wouldn't want to live in Chattanooga,, but having it close by has been nice. I work downtown and have really enjoyed it.
Tom

Dalton, GA

#5 Jun 28, 2010
GA has a state income tax. TN DOES NOT. Bradley County would be a better place, because of Hamilton County POLITICS. Bradley C. is on I-75.
Tom

Dalton, GA

#6 Jun 28, 2010
JJSFla wrote:
Thanks for the input.
I have been doing some research online and it looks like a nice area with a lot of nature and outdoor activities. Is there a decent variety of cultural activities to go along with the outdoors?
How long of a trip (ballpark) to Chattanooga?.
Read comment from Tom.
JJSFla

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jun 29, 2010
10- 15 minutes is nice. Kind of like that where we are now, 20 min to Ft Laud- 30 to Miami. I wouldn't live in either one but it's nice to have the activities that go along with them.

How would the tax thing work if I worked in Ga and lived in Tn? Would I have to pay Ga income tax? That's not a deal breaker, it would still be cheaper then where I am now.

Thanks to both, I do appreciate the info.
Current Resident

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Jun 30, 2010
Well, I live in GA and work in TN and I pay GA income tax. For a short while, I lived in Chattanooga and worked in GA.. I paid Ga tax, but when I filed taxes I received it all back in a refund.. so it seems that it depends on where you live as to what you pay.

It didnt make that big of a difference as far as I could tell. However, the schools in GA are much better, if that is an issue for you. Better schools are worth paying the income tax in my opinion.
Anna

Ringgold, GA

#9 Jun 30, 2010
As far as taxes are concerned, its true GA has a state income tax and TN does not; however, in IMHO it really does even itself out. Property taxes can be higher in TN, and the city is even trying to annex other communities near the border of Chattanooga's city limits to get more taxes (eg Windstone subdivision in Ooletwah) Schools are definetly better in GA as well, as far as how they handle their budgets, what they expect from students, student to teacher ratio, etc. Some places in TN have built brand new schools but there is a budget deficit now for those systems. Good luck with your search. We recently moved to to GA from Chicago and although we miss the seeing the Cubs play, there is a decent amt of things to do here.
Stacy

Phoenix, AZ

#10 Jul 5, 2010
I am also looking into a possible relocation to the Ft. Oglethorpe area, but am having a hard time finding rental houses in the area. Anybody have any suggestions for websites, realtor, etc. I really don't want to live in an apartment complex, and I don't neccessarily want to live in Chattanooga due to the high crime rate. Anyone have some suggestions for me?
Tom

Summerville, GA

#11 Jul 6, 2010
Stacy wrote:
I am also looking into a possible relocation to the Ft. Oglethorpe area, but am having a hard time finding rental houses in the area. Anybody have any suggestions for websites, realtor, etc. I really don't want to live in an apartment complex, and I don't neccessarily want to live in Chattanooga due to the high crime rate. Anyone have s ome suggestions for me?
timesfreepress.com chattanooga paper carries chattanooga and north GA listings.
Stacy

Phoenix, AZ

#12 Jul 6, 2010
Thanks Tom!
Former Resident

Philadelphia, PA

#13 Jul 6, 2010
Stacy, you can also find some on Craigslist. Just be sure to verify them before hand.

I know some friends of ours with rental properties in Ringgold use Craigslist too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Oglethorpe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Anyone visited VIP spa ? (Apr '09) Mar 19 cody 26
Cheaters (Sep '10) Mar 16 wife 9
Christy Pinion Morgan arrested by GBI for theft... (Aug '11) Mar 8 HEALTH MAN 30
Lisa Robertson (Apr '13) Feb 28 Loyal 11
Brandy Hayes (Jul '14) Feb '15 yep 11
Does anyone talk to this person or know him (Jun '14) Feb '15 Anonymous1496 5
Rossville blvd mcdonalds Feb '15 Hamburgerler 1

Freeze Watch for Catoosa County was issued at March 27 at 10:43PM EDT

Fort Oglethorpe Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fort Oglethorpe People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]