Chickamauga teacher charged with chil...

Chickamauga teacher charged with child molestation, sexual battery

There are 90 comments on the Catoosa County News story from Jun 11, 2008, titled Chickamauga teacher charged with child molestation, sexual battery. In it, Catoosa County News reports that:

Tonya Henke Craft, 36, turned herself in Wednesday to the Catoosa County Sheriffs Department and was released on $50,000 bond.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Catoosa County News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
concerned

Port Matilda, PA

#1 Jun 12, 2008
My prayers are with Tonya, her family, the girls involved, their families, the school system and the entire community of Chickamauga.
Former Friend

Rock Spring, GA

#2 Jun 12, 2008
Tonya knows she did this- so does everyone else. She should turn herself in and stop putting the kids through so much torture. It makes me sick.
anonymous

United States

#3 Jun 12, 2008
According to the small town rumor mill, she did it.

Too many kids with great, responsible parents have said she did. These parents wouldn't accuse anyone of this unless they were absolutely sure. IF the allegations were found to be false, this teacher's life is over. It has already cost her too much - her marriage, her children, her reputation, and probably her job. These parents know that and spent a lot of time investigating and making sure that this was going on BEFORE going to the police.

Assuming it's true - there is nothing bad enough they can do to her.
anonymous

Ooltewah, TN

#4 Jun 12, 2008
If this allegation turns out to be untrue, this woman's life is ruined forever anyway. All it takes on the subject of sexual molestation is one false statement, or something innocent turned nasty, and the doubt is there, no matter how it turns out.
anonymous

Warner Robins, GA

#5 Jun 12, 2008
there are two sides to every story and people need to stop being so judgmental and start praying for truth to be revealed, this country is founded on the principal of innocent until proven guilty, however in cases such as these people get it backwards, guilty until proven innocent
anonymous

United States

#6 Jun 13, 2008
In general, I believe that you are right, Rocky Face. However, in this case, it doesn't seem to be the case that she will be found not-guilty.

I know the kids, the parents and Ms. Craft. All of our families are so intertwined that at first, it was difficult for me to see Ms. Craft doing this. Unfortunately, as more of the facts of the case have come to light, I have been physically sickened to realize that it probably is true.

I can assure you that the community of Chickamauga has been turned upside-down by the events of the past few months... no one WANTS to believe it's true, but unfortunately, we don't always get what we want.
anonymous

Douglas, GA

#7 Jun 13, 2008
My mother teaches with Mrs. Craft and is a good friend. I personally know her and her family as well. We don't think she did this. From what I hear, the child in question is a "handful" to say the least!
My mother-in-law was accused of this with one of her own grandchildren years ago. It was totally false, and the courts did see that. Children can do a lot of damage not realizing what they've done.
And...from what I hear, it's disgruntaled parents coming after Mrs. Craft, because she is a no-nonsense kind of teacher.
Stop convicting her until all the details are out. If she did indeed do this, we'll be shocked. Until then, innocent until proven guilty - regardless of what the media is saying!
anonymous

United States

#8 Jun 13, 2008
Chatsworth,
Do you know the child / children in question? I would assume the answer to this is, "NO" because I do.
Before you start throwing stones, get your facts straight.
1) As you say "the child in question"... Guess what, Chatsworth, there are at least 4! Not ONE, but FOUR little girls that have told their parents that she did these things to them.
2) The girls who have said this are excellent, intelligent, beautiful, well-mannered and obedient children! NOT A "handful to say the least!" as you state.
3) I know the parents of the girls, as well... THEY WERE ALL FRIENDS! None of them was disgruntled in the least ... with the exception of the issue in question currently...
I'm not saying she did it... I hope that it is just a big mistake, but HOW DARE YOU ATTACK THE INTEGRITY OF A CHILD!!!!!!! Do you not think these girls have gone through enough?
UNBELIEVABLE

Atlanta, GA

#9 Jun 13, 2008
Unbelievable that Chatsworth would attack the integrity of the child that was brave enough to report what was going on. It wasn't only ONE, Chatsworth. Please get your story straight before attacking another one of the kids. As of right now, it is FOUR (4) children and wonder how many more will surface. Mrs. Craft may be a no-nonsense teacher but she allegedly wanted more out of the classroom than teaching. Thank goodness NONE of my children had her as a teacher!!!! The school system needs to take a hard, hard look @ who they are hiring. SICK SICK SICK! If found guilty, may Mrs. Crafts days be filled w/ complete misery......she has ruined these children! Not to mention her own family has to suffer because of her sick demented ways.
jennash

AOL

#10 Jun 15, 2008
I Have known Tonya for a long time and I know that she did not do this. She is a great person and a wonderful mother. I stand behind her 100%. Just remember people INNOCENT until proven guilty, not the other way around!
anonymous

Douglas, GA

#11 Jun 17, 2008
wow...I wasn't "attacking" anyone. So, it's okay to crucify an adult but not okay to question a child? Children sometimes say and do things that aren't exactly accurate. That's the FACT. I'm just saying that this has happened to someone I'm close to before and when it all came down to it, the child wasn't trying to "hurt" anyone but wasn't molested. Kids are kids. My goodness, get off your flippin high horses!

AND FOR THE RECORD - the Chickamauga School Parents are KNOWN for the reputation that if they don't like you - they will get rid of you. When there is a disgrutaled party involved, how can some help but wonder what is really behind it all?

Innocent until proven guilty...read into it what you want.
anonymous

Liberty, TN

#12 Jun 17, 2008
"From what I hear, the child in question is a "handful" to say the least!"

Sounds like an attack on the integrity of a child to me...

And where are you getting your information? None of these parents was disgruntled!
upset

Lupton City, TN

#13 Jun 17, 2008
please keep in mind that there have been 4 different girls from 4 different families from 4 different backgrounds. please stop sterotyping all chickamauga parents. dont judge chickamauga residents from "hear say" the best thing to do is pray that the truth comes out good or bad so the healing can begin on both sides.
anonymous

Dalton, GA

#14 Jun 19, 2008
1. Saying a child is a "handful" is NOT an attack. But twist it however you wish. I just know that my child got upset with her teacher once and for months had me upset over something that never happened. She just said it because she was upset with her. Kids do these things.
2. I know there is more than one child involved.
3. North Carolina: My source is the teacher, whom I've known for quite some time, and her family as well. And, it is pretty well known that there is a rift between the teacher and at least one of the parents involved.
5. The Chickamauga School System is a great system. Chickamauga parent - no offense was intended. It's a close knit community. We are all upset and just want the truth to come out, whatever that may be.

And, although we believe she is innocent, we are prepared to accept what the court decides. For those of you who have already "convicted" her, none of us were there. The sad thing is that the truth may never really come out...only those girls, the teacher and the Lord know what really happened. Either way, many lives have been severely affected and it can't be undone at this point no matter what happens.
anonymous

Dalton, GA

#15 Jun 19, 2008
Oops...I took out the 4th point. Skipped from 3 to 5.
TIFFANY

United States

#16 Jun 21, 2008
Absolutely heart breaking for these kids.
anonymous

United States

#18 Jun 25, 2008
Dear TRUE...

You have given entirely too much specific information... the identities of these girls is to be protected! You are NOT doing that. I hope that your post is deleted immediately! I am appalled that you would do this! Be angry, fine, but don't throw kids under the bus to prove a point!
Ringgold

Ringgold, GA

#19 Jun 25, 2008
anonymous wrote:
Dear TRUE...
You have given entirely too much specific information... the identities of these girls is to be protected! You are NOT doing that. I hope that your post is deleted immediately! I am appalled that you would do this! Be angry, fine, but don't throw kids under the bus to prove a point!
I don't know this woman, but I do wonder how she could be arrested if the law enforcement didn't have some sort of evidence against her.
Anonymous

United States

#20 Jun 27, 2008
Too many kids with great, responsible parents have said she did. These parents wouldn't accuse anyone of this unless they were absolutely sure.
(What this signifies that the parents are running around spouting about what happened. That is the truth and everyone knows it. Apparently one of the families has had the news media drop in several times. If you have money, you can get things done. In fact, money probably plays a lot bigger role in all of this than any of us realize)

IF the allegations were found to be false, this teacher's life is over. It has already cost her too much - her marriage, her children, her reputation, and probably her job. These parents know that and spent a lot of time investigating and making sure that this was going on BEFORE going to the police.

(You need to check yourself. The people who do know the parents might think differently. Once again, these are deviant, vengeful people with an agenda different from what people may think. I hope the Catoosa County authorities do their job and investigate every family member and their pasts from the group of accused)

Rumours are there is a lot more to this than most people know.

Assuming it's true - there is nothing bad enough they can do to her.(I agree, if she is guilty. Otherwise I hope she sticks it to the accusers with libel suits)
Chickamauga

Rock Spring, GA

#21 Jul 1, 2008
I, too know all the parents involved and they are not anywhere near vengeful or deviant! They are VERY upstanding members of the community who have supported Chickamauga Elementary school, its staff and teachers- including Mrs. Craft. The only agenda they have is to get justice for what was done to their child. Mrs. Craft befriended these parents and then betrayed them on every level... The only dispute that has arisen between Mrs. Craft and the parents is due to the fact that she molested their children!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Oglethorpe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rossville Must Be The Biggest Eyesore In Georgia (Aug '08) Tue Junkyard Dog 30
anyone know the name? (Jun '13) Feb 27 kitall 2
The Rossville Library Feb 26 Here2Opine 1
Review: Brooks Auto Sales (Jun '15) Feb 26 Wayne 2
Christy Pinion Morgan arrested by GBI for theft... (Aug '11) Feb 22 Not a stupid ho 38
Review: Bea's Restaurant Dec '16 Cath Burton 1
Charles Larry Guthrie Nov '16 Jimmie 1

Fort Oglethorpe Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Oglethorpe Mortgages