curious

Redwood City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 2, 2008

where was this picture taken? it is stunning.
Aynon

Carmel, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2009

curious wrote:
where was this picture taken? it is stunning.
Sanibel Island, Florida in the late 1990's.
Cynthia

Montgomery, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2012

Is it wise to ride the bike paths alone with panthers and bobcats out and about on Sanibel?
JPC

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2012

That photo could not have been taken on Sanibel. There is no where near enough room on that island for a panther. Males need about 150 sq miles of habitat and females need about 80 sq miles. There are too many people on that island and not enough food.
MAK

South Elgin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 27, 2012

Just saw this panther on Sunday, Nov. 25. 2012. Beautiful!! Crossed road slowly, paused by the side of the road in our headlights for about 4 seconds. Got a great look at a beautiful, but strong, large predator. Don't know how it survives on such a small island, but I do believe my eyes!!!
Valerie H from New Jersey

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

I saw a panther walk across Captiva Drive just before dusk this evening from east to west not far from Blind Pass while out for a walk. This amazing animal crossed the road not more than 20 feet from me and cars in both directions slowed to a stop to let it pass. Incredible.
Steve

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

My brother-in-law and I were walking on the Indingo trail this afternoon. A large animal that look like a panther crossed the path about 50 yards ahead of us. It was tall and long. Staff at the park assured us that it was a bobcat. If so, that was one big bobcat.
Smilingirl

Cape Coral, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

JPC wrote:
That photo could not have been taken on Sanibel. There is no where near enough room on that island for a panther. Males need about 150 sq miles of habitat and females need about 80 sq miles. There are too many people on that island and not enough food.
I saw the Sanibel Panther twice in the year following hurricane Charley, when a lot of the trees were down and visibility into the jungle was good. I was in the neighborhood of the Bailey Tract of Ding Darling refuge. I dont know if youve ever been to Sanibel but are enough rabbits in that refuge to feed several cats! Not to mention birds etc. I know several others who have also spotted him/her in the same general area.

I have also seen several bobcats on the island and this was not that. They are smaller and maybe thicker, especially in the face.My panther was tall lean, long tail and tawny colored, just as pictures of panthers I've seen.

No one would think we'd have a bear on the island either....but we did.
:)
sue

West Chester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Just visited Sanibel Island and had a panther cross in front of us, no more than 10 feet, as we biked on Middle Gulf Road on May 21, 2013. It was not a bobcat.
Wes

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2013

My family and i were walking a trail on the bailey tract on sanibel island, when what, at first, appeared to be some sort of fox crossed the trail we were walking on about 40 feet or so ahead of us. I decided to investigate, and so i walked to the corner it had just turned onto (dont do this, it could be dangerous) and looked, and it was following the trail it was almost to another corner so i quickly snapped a couple of pictures, and looked thru my binoculars and got a nice clean look, it had a dark tannish color, and no spots. I have looked very closely at the picture, and i can confirm that it was not a bobcat or ocelot. I believe that it was a florida panther.
Ron

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

In early November I was traveling east on SanCap Rd around mile marker 4 and saw what I believe to be a Panther cross the road in front of me. I had a great side view, looked a little like a Cheetah, long tail, was not a Bobcat.
dawn

Dade City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2014

we saw what was definitely a panther this afternoon, crossing Sanibel Captiva Road in front of us while we rode bikes on the bike trail. It was absolutely a panther. too large to be a bobcat, brown with a long tail. this was near the intersection of Tarpon Bay Road along the edge of the wildlife refuge.
Judy DeRango Wicks

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2014

Last week (May 28, 2014) we saw a Florida panther walking on the bike path on Sanibel-Captiva Road near the bird sanctuary as we drove back to Captiva after seeing a movie. It was after dark, taillights lit it up but didn't seem to be bothered by our car, strolling along the path like a big cat, tan colored, the size of a small lioness. No doubt this is what it was.
A2P Cincinnati

Sanibel, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2014

We just saw the Florida panther on Sanibel Captiva Road today at about 9:45 am. It just trotted across the street and popped into the woods via an obvious animal trail. It had a beautiful long tail. So amazing.
Sanibella

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Wednesday Jun 25

I just saw what I believe also to be a small Florida Panther along bike trail on San-Cap rd in about the same location. It Did not have spots like a bobcat. Was the size of a medium dog. It appeared to be stalking two raccoons in a tree. It left too quickly for a pic but I concur there is one here!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Fort Myers Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fort Myers Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••