51st state question answered "yes" in 6 of 11 counties contemplating secession

Full story: Estes Park Trail-Gazette

Weld County Commissioner Sean Conway, center, with other elected officials address a group of supporters of the 51st State Initiative during an election result watch party at the Historic Fort Lupton Fort, November 5, 2013.
Comments
1 - 2 of 2 Comments Last updated Nov 7, 2013
jconroy

Rolla, MO

#1 Nov 7, 2013
States need money to operate. According to the Center on Budget and Policy priorities, most State tax dollars go to: 25% K-12 education, 15% Medicaid, 14% higher education, 5% corrections, 5% transportation, and 35% all other (some of the larger items include general aid to local governments and contributions to public employees’ pension and health benefits).* Colorado’s 2014 budget is 20.5 billion dollars. There are about 5.188 million people in Colorado. There are less than 28,000 people in the five counties in Colorado that want to form their own State. By simple proportion, every man, woman, and child in the new State would have to come up with about $110,639 in taxes every single year to maintain their standard of living. Instead of complaining about being misrepresented in State government, perhaps the people in these counties should be grateful to the people along the front range for helping them maintain their standard of living.
* http://www.cbpp.org/cms/...
jconroy

Rolla, MO

#2 Nov 7, 2013
Unfortunately, there is no way to edit my previous post, so I'll try to correct the final figures here. The proportional budget for the new State would be $110,639,938 and that works out to $3951 for each person.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lupton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LP + Mesa = Skybeam, broadband alternative (Dec '08) Aug 30 Terry 83
CO Who do you support for Governor in Colorado in ... (Oct '10) Aug 2 pacostacos 287
Police car involed in an accident Jul '14 carl 1
Brittney Nicole Losh has Herpes! (Jun '09) Jul '14 Midlothian Composer 9
Youngest Twin Inventors product opens in Sams C... Jul '14 midlothian composer 2
What the troops in Afghanistan are saying about... Jun '14 Eleanor 1
Water management may be key to cure to Weld shakes Jun '14 Maybe not too 1
•••
•••
•••

Fort Lupton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fort Lupton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE