Teen dies after vehicle carrying 4 others rolls

Full story: KUSA Denver

Police suspect excessive speed to be a factor in a rollover accident Saturday that left one teenager dead.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of116
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Hello

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Whoops!!! Now.....let's all say that this is yet ANOTHER "tragic" story of a teen who made a simple "mistake" because he is young. These "misatkes" seem to keep costing LIVES......
Amanda

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

I am sad to hear of another young life lost because of stupid driving. Is it worth it? To speed, to look cool, to be in a hurry? What ever the case may be its not. I lost a dear friend a few years back in a car accident where the driver was speeding and it just isn't worth it. Mikel I think of you every day and miss you so much. God bless her parents and her. Please slow down.
Mommamia

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

I think the age to drive should be the same as the drinking and the draft age, whatever that may be..18-21. A car can be a deadly weapon and should be treated as such, kids cannot make the same split second decisions as an adult in an accident due to emotional AND physical maturity. It is proven the frontal lobe does not fully develop for most until the late teens and early twenties, and has a major role in developing reasoning skills.
Mr Obvious

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

I thought all teens were invincable. They think they are. Even though story after story is in the news. No one seems to care about the value of life.
caleb

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

TEACH YOUR KIDS HOW TO DRIVE SAFELY!! IT COULD BE YOU ONE OF THEM KILLS NEXT.
Numbers

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Judged:

More stupid moron kids THINKING they are invincible. Oh well, sure and steadily they can be counted out.

The driver WAS at fault in the this case, so let it rest on HIS concious. The victims need to select better friends, friends who would be more responsible.
I cant stand the media

Manhattan, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Judged:

caleb wrote:
why did an 18 and 19 year old boys have three 14 year old girls in a truck with them in the first place? The whole thing sounds like it was trouble from the start. The 19 year old driver was not a kid any more and should never have had those littel girls with him in the first place.

Since: Apr 07

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Maybe part of getting a driver's license for teens should be a trip to the morgue to see the real results of reckless driving. Seeing wrecked cars is helpful, but broken bodies would leave more of an impression.
Tina

Broomfield, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

This is a very sad story on many levels. I honestly don't know what the answer is. I don't believe that it's just inexperience in driving either. I believe that it's immaturity and inexperience. Sadly, I know adults who drive like that! They end up dead or hurt too. People just need to understand that driving is serious business and all it takes is just one judgement error. It'll never happen though.
Highway

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

I cant stand the media wrote:
<quoted text>
why did an 18 and 19 year old boys have three 14 year old girls in a truck with them in the first place? The whole thing sounds like it was trouble from the start. The 19 year old driver was not a kid any more and should never have had those littel girls with him in the first place.
That makes no sense, you dont know that they were'nt relatives or family friends...I give rides to my 9 y/o daughter...is that wrong?
Casper

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

I got my license in the the 1970's at age 16. I have never caused an accident and only 2 speeding tickets in my life the last was in 1981.

It is the parents, driver's ed etc. to teach young drivers how to drive maturely. Maybe a trip to the morgue to show them what happens when you F-up and act, drive stupid, might save a life. I hate to say this but teens in the 70's and 80's were more mature than teens today.
kennedy

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Highway wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes no sense, you dont know that they were'nt relatives or family friends...I give rides to my 9 y/o daughter...is that wrong?

All of them have different last names; Vanderhoff, Duffy, ect....I don't think it was a nice, family, cruise to the store
wlfpnthr

Lafayette, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

This story affects my family and myself deeply. Mandy was an incredible young lady that may have become the victim or either a single poor choice or a series of choices that went wrong yesterday. She has left behind her loving parents, three wonderful brothers, a little sister that looked up to her, a sister-in-law that loved her and a beautiful little niece that will not get to know and have wonderful memories of this terrific young lady that was her aunt. This doesn't even begin to cover the numerous friends and extended family that will greatly miss this beautiful young lady.

NUMBERS WROTE: More stupid moron kids THINKING they are invincible. Oh well, sure and steadily they can be counted out.

The driver WAS at fault in the this case, so let it rest on HIS concious. The victims need to select better friends, friends who would be more responsible.

RESPONSE: Mandy was not a "stupid moron kid" - she was far from it. We've all made mistakes in our lives. Who hasn't raced and sped when we've been late for work, an appointment, or to pick up the kids from school? They call them accidents for a reason...yes, the driver stacked the odds in his favor of having an accident; but, the other passengers in the car did not hold his foot to the accelerator pedal. Knowing the family as I do, postings like this truly anger me. Yes, this is stupid and could have been avoided. Now her parents and family need to heal and learn to go on without her - please don't judge her for this one. With our prayers, thoughts, love and respect...Semper Fi!
kennedy

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

wilpnthr,

I'm sorry for your loss
Kevin Duffy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

My daughter, Kiersten, was a passenger in this car accident. I can tell you that the last thing that I told her when I dropped her off in Fort Lupton on Saturday, was that she was not to get into any cars, especially with teenagers or young drivers. Kierstens mom was killed in a car accident almost 11 years ago and I am very careful about who she gets in cars with. I feel like I failed yesterday, but I am thankful to have my daughter with me today. Kiersten was terrified, the drivers actions were maniacal to say the least. It is my understanding that the Fort Lupton and or Weld County Dispatch received at least 1, maybe more complaints about the actions of the actions. The area that it happened at was somewhat remote and Fort Lupton is somewhat sprawling with a small Police Force. I would also like to add, that as a father of a teenage girl, I certainly have a big problem with a 19 year old man hanging out with 14 year old girls. It is not something that I approve of and something that there will be a lot of discussion about with Kiersten when things settle down.
As much as you like to keep an eye on your kids, you can't always control what they do. you can't be there 24/7. You guide them as best you can and hope that they will make wise decisions. This was a very tragic and senseless event that will forever change the life of my child and the lives of the other children, their parents, Mandy Browns parents, and the 19 year old driver.
Mandy Brown was a wonderful young woman, a free spirit, that was full of life and had much to contribute to this world.
Mandy Brown came from a family of little means. I believe her father was a former United States Marine who works for the TSA at DIA and her mother goes to school full time in hopes of making a better life for their family. I don't think they have the money to have a funeral for their daughter and I am certainly not going to ask for money on this forum. But Mandy Brown was a student at Fort Lupton Middle School, perhaps if anyone has it in their hearts to help this family out they will call the school or watch the news for a memorial fund to help these people out in their time of need. They are good people and they have a very long road ahead of them. Now is not the time to judge them for who their kid was with or what those kids were doing.
Sincerely,
Kevin Duffy
Blowing the whistle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Apparently there are several people in Lupton that are trying to get their names in the paper or faces on the news as a result of this tragic accident. The kid that they interviewed on 9 news tonight was a very estranged friend of the Victim. Pretty sad when you gotta get steal the spotlight from a dead kid. I also think its pretty wrong for the media to publish the names and ages of the minors who survived the crash. Those poor kids are going to go through enough without being thrust into the spotlight. But sensationalism sells in this day and age. Lets bring back that old 90's saying and Kill our Televisions.....
Network Engineer

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

What is it with Weld County road. Its seems that every week there is someone dead due to careless driving.

Kevin Duffy glad to see your kid is alright.

Those two lane roads out here in weld county are so dangerous and there is nothing you can do about it.
Network Engineer

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Casper wrote:
I got my license in the the 1970's at age 16. I have never caused an accident and only 2 speeding tickets in my life the last was in 1981.
It is the parents, driver's ed etc. to teach young drivers how to drive maturely. Maybe a trip to the morgue to show them what happens when you F-up and act, drive stupid, might save a life. I hate to say this but teens in the 70's and 80's were more mature than teens today.
You are so correct. I have never caused and accident either. I have never had any speeding tickets. Remember the move in drivers ED. The streets run red. They need to start showing that again. When I saw that move at Spanish River High in the 80's it made me realize how unsafe you are in a car.
Network Engineer

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

wlfpnthr wrote:
This story affects my family and myself deeply. Mandy was an incredible young lady that may have become the victim or either a single poor choice or a series of choices that went wrong yesterday. She has left behind her loving parents, three wonderful brothers, a little sister that looked up to her, a sister-in-law that loved her and a beautiful little niece that will not get to know and have wonderful memories of this terrific young lady that was her aunt. This doesn't even begin to cover the numerous friends and extended family that will greatly miss this beautiful young lady.
NUMBERS WROTE: More stupid moron kids THINKING they are invincible. Oh well, sure and steadily they can be counted out.
RESPONSE: Mandy was not a "stupid moron kid" - she was far from it. We've all made mistakes in our lives. Who hasn't raced and sped when we've been late for work, an appointment, or to pick up the kids from school? They call them accidents for a reason...yes, the driver stacked the odds in his favor of having an accident; but, the other passengers in the car did not hold his foot to the accelerator pedal. Knowing the family as I do, postings like this truly anger me. Yes, this is stupid and could have been avoided. Now her parents and family need to heal and learn to go on without her - please don't judge her for this one. With our prayers, thoughts, love and respect...Semper Fi!
Sorry to hear about your lost. I believe that people say bad things when they are not face to face with you. These people are the scum of the earth and have no real education or life. These people people blame everyone but themselves for problems. These type of people are bottom feeders and scumbags. Sorry that someone had to say something like this. Kids are going to do stupid things. Let just hope no more tragic happens to your family.
gwats

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

caleb wrote:
Amen, brother!
Colorado has a graduated license system that does save lives. However, our laws are only as good as the people who enforce them.(Parents, are you listening?)
Teens are children, not little grownups. If you do not teach, disipline, guide,& nurture them, they will find new and disturbing ways to DIE way too young!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of116
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fort Lupton Discussions

Search the Fort Lupton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Police car involed in an accident 18 hr carl 1
Brittney Nicole Losh has Herpes! (Jun '09) Jul 4 Midlothian Composer 9
Youngest Twin Inventors product opens in Sams C... Jul 4 midlothian composer 2
What the troops in Afghanistan are saying about... Jun '14 Eleanor 1
Water management may be key to cure to Weld shakes Jun '14 Maybe not too 1
Debate: Health Care - Thornton, CO Jun '14 Pfc Jacob H Wykstra 1
Old evidence at new trial (May '06) Jun '14 dad 1,106
•••
•••