labella

Fayetteville, NC

#1 Jan 3, 2009
Does anyone know how the on-post housing is? And what kind of waiting list is it?
Thank you

“Support Autism Awareness”

Since: Dec 08

Maryland

#2 Jan 3, 2009
Fortlee is not a bad post to live on. It kinda small but it not a bad community. I'm not sure what the waiting list is. I'm sure an advisor on post may be able to answer your question. Are you coming to Fortlee soon?
labella

Fayetteville, NC

#3 Jan 4, 2009
Hopefully we will be. Some people say very negative things about the housing and I just don't want to have to wait several months to get a home.
Tiffany

Chester, VA

#4 Jan 6, 2009
If you want to look at off base housing, you can go to this website and make a profile to browse around the community for rentals if that would be a better option for you and your family. Thats what we did and got a house very quickly. The website is: www.ahrn.com

Maryland

#5 Jan 6, 2009
labella wrote:
Hopefully we will be. Some people say very negative things about the housing and I just don't want to have to wait several months to get a home.
Nearby cities are Hopewell,Colonial Heights,Petersburg. Also you have Ettrick which is close as well. If you move to Petersburg Woodmere Apartments are nice and quite.Tanglewood Apt. is also nearby but I'm not sure I would suggest that. A lot of military live out there but I think its too busy out there.There may be housing in the Walnut Hills area also.Hopewell has several apt. complexes as well. You can go on apartmentfinder.com . The average apt. in those areas may run about 600.00 for 1 bedroom 1 bath. 2 bedroom runs about 900.00 monthly. Not bad.I am orginally from that area. Where I live now in Maryland is 1400 a month for 2 bedroom. It also has 2 bathrooms and a lakeview. We are in the market for a house. If you have anymore questions concerning any areas let me know. I pretty much the tri-city areas (Petersburg,Colonial Heights,Hopewell)
Kelly

Colonial Heights, VA

#6 Mar 26, 2010
Housing is good. Stay out of Hopewell and Petersburg if you don't want to live off post. They have lousy school systems but Chesterfield and Prince George (wich serves Ft Lee students) are good school districts. The wait list for housing can seem long but it moves quickly. There is always someone moving out and it only takes them 2-3 days to make ready. I like our house. it is a lot nicer than what you can rent for BAH in the area, but if you don't have kids who need good schools then Hopewell has low cost rentals and the people are all pretty nice. I just hated the schools.
seriously

Colonial Heights, VA

#7 Apr 10, 2010
Petersburg and Hopewell are straight up freaking GHETTO! This housing on post is not bad however, don't come in expecting your neighbors to talk to you. I have lived here over a year and still have neighbors that I dont know. You throw your hand up to say hi they run like hell! IDk what the deal is it is the dangest thing I ever seen.

Maryland

#8 Apr 10, 2010
Obviously you have not been through the entire town of Petersburg. Have you been to Cool Springs,Camolot,Western Hills,just to name a few. They are not ghetto and have good hard working people living in these middle class neighborhoods. In case you don't know,Fort Lee has it's crimes also.Speak on what you know. What's your definition of Ghetto ? Geesh if you think there aren't ghetto people living at Fortlee than your kidding yourself. Less than desirable neighbors are all around. Maybe they don't speak to you because they are judging you like your judging other. Now that's SERIOUSLY.
Tewana

Petersburg, VA

#10 Apr 11, 2010
carmenforu wrote:
Obviously you have not been through the entire town of Petersburg. Have you been to Cool Springs,Camolot,Western Hills,just to name a few. They are not ghetto and have good hard working people living in these middle class neighborhoods. In case you don't know,Fort Lee has it's crimes also.Speak on what you know. What's your definition of Ghetto ? Geesh if you think there aren't ghetto people living at Fortlee than your kidding yourself. Less than desirable neighbors are all around. Maybe they don't speak to you because they are judging you like your judging other. Now that's SERIOUSLY.
gosh lady all you do one here is tell people how they are wrong and you are right.... there are some ghetto places in both petersburg and hopewell... maybe not all areas... just research everything :)

Maryland

#11 Apr 12, 2010
Tewana wrote:
<quoted text>
gosh lady all you do one here is tell people how they are wrong and you are right.... there are some ghetto places in both petersburg and hopewell... maybe not all areas... just research everything :)
Surely. you havent read all my post to make that comment. Note..This is a forum that one expresses their views. Like you I express my views. I don;t need to do the research because I know Petersburg very well. You can not fairly judge anything collectively when it's not warranted.
I think fairly, I am not responsibile for how you preceive it.Perceptions belongs to the beholder.
If you did your research you would not tell anyone how wrong a city is for them to dwell in,muchless assuming how I think I'm right. Every city has its bad neighborhoods. By the way so does Fortlee.(:
stephanie

Richmond, VA

#12 Apr 15, 2010
well i have been on the housing list since January 8th and we are still 56/92 on the list. I am getting very frustrated because my husband is getting deployed and i live 20 miles off post because hopewell and petersburg are either in the ghetto or way overpriced for the BAH that we get. My son is also starting school this september so i would have liked for him to go to a good school. There is so many homes on post and i just cant understand that this could be so overfilled especially because it is a training base
my goodness

Colonial Heights, VA

#13 Apr 15, 2010
Now Stephanie, haven't you read the post by Carmen Fort Lee is just as ghetto as Petersburg...lol! Idk why your still so far back on the list either. It didn't take us no time to get housing. Call and see what number you are everyday. Good luck to you and stay in Chester until you get housing, it is not worth moving to Pburg and Hopewell! Have you looked at moving to the Prince George area? It seems nice.

Maryland

#14 Apr 16, 2010
my goodness wrote:
Now Stephanie, haven't you read the post by Carmen Fort Lee is just as ghetto as Petersburg...lol! Idk why your still so far back on the list either. It didn't take us no time to get housing. Call and see what number you are everyday. Good luck to you and stay in Chester until you get housing, it is not worth moving to Pburg and Hopewell! Have you looked at moving to the Prince George area? It seems nice.
Obviously you didn't read my post very well. There has been crime at Fortlee. I am very familar with Fortlee and the surrounding area. If you were familar, than you would know that there are good neighborhoods in Petersburg. If you think Prince George County doesn't have any crime think again. lol My point is they all have their opportunites.
OMG

Colonial Heights, VA

#15 Apr 17, 2010
Lady are you still going on, look everywhere has some kind of crime...I have posted my statistics my proof of how much more violent of a place than the surrounding areas are like it or lump the facts are the facts! Geesh...No one ever said Pburg didn't have nice areas, no one ever said crime didn't happen on Fort Lee or in Prince George or Timbuktu for that matter. I have posted all I am going to post....like I said when people come here they see what is a good area and what is not, we are a military FAMILY we ask questions and people tell us why or why they would not live in a certain area. The fact that the first trip I made to Pburg I watched 2 drug deals go down and watched a guy pull a gun outta of his pocket to pay in broad daylight tells me that is not the place I am going to tell someone with a family to go live. Point Blank....now come back and tell me about all the bad experiences you have had with the white people in Colonial Heights. I have read your posts. I don't like Petersburg that is my right. I feel safer on Fort Lee in Prince George and colonial heights and chester areas. That is me! If you feel safe in Pburg then all means live there frolick and play. But quit putting words in my mouth! Like I said I have psted links to statistics if you don't like the facts NOT MY PROBLEM!!!

Maryland

#16 Apr 18, 2010
OMG wrote:
Lady are you still going on, look everywhere has some kind of crime...I have posted my statistics my proof of how much more violent of a place than the surrounding areas are like it or lump the facts are the facts! Geesh...No one ever said Pburg didn't have nice areas, no one ever said crime didn't happen on Fort Lee or in Prince George or Timbuktu for that matter. I have posted all I am going to post....like I said when people come here they see what is a good area and what is not, we are a military FAMILY we ask questions and people tell us why or why they would not live in a certain area. The fact that the first trip I made to Pburg I watched 2 drug deals go down and watched a guy pull a gun outta of his pocket to pay in broad daylight tells me that is not the place I am going to tell someone with a family to go live. Point Blank....now come back and tell me about all the bad experiences you have had with the white people in Colonial Heights. I have read your posts. I don't like Petersburg that is my right. I feel safer on Fort Lee in Prince George and colonial heights and chester areas. That is me! If you feel safe in Pburg then all means live there frolick and play. But quit putting words in my mouth! Like I said I have psted links to statistics if you don't like the facts NOT MY PROBLEM!!!
If by some chance you think you have stated something,you haven't. Read all the post before you speak for everyone else. I do not beleive yu have witness a drug deal. First of all if yu witness it you wouldnt be here telling everyone about it. You can choose to live where you want I personally dont care. I have lived in Fortlee. My family was military. You have not said anything of value to me. While your gather your facts,gather the facts about the surrounding area dear. The prrof is in the pudding. State all the facts. You really sound ignorant. What's the problem " Are you taking it personally ? You are not the only military family. Mnny military families live in Petersburg and have no complaints. Again like I said there are many good upscale neighborhoods in Petersburg. Lady you need to read all the post on this subject before you go ranting like someone is crazy.Get your facts together before you post lady!!!!!!!OH by the way.I guess you forgot about the GI's that come to Petersburg and get in trouble.Fortlee again,is not squeeky clean. Mnny of the crimes are swept under the rug. Don't post or reply,I don't really care. The truth is that you are upset because you know I'm right. If you are going to give advise to someone get your facts straight. Right now your looking silly. Have a good evening.(:
God Bless

Colonial Heights, VA

#17 Apr 19, 2010
The surrounding areas facts are accessible via those links also, I am done here. Read the facts. I am not going to continue to argue over Petersburg. I am sorry if you got offended. I just don't know what else to say to you, you are a very irrational person who just wants to scream and shove words down my throat that I did not say. I am going to be the grown person and back out of this. In another year this will be just a duty station I was at and I will move on. Good Luck to you and your town. And May God Bless You!

Maryland

#18 Apr 20, 2010
God Bless wrote:
The surrounding areas facts are accessible via those links also, I am done here. Read the facts. I am not going to continue to argue over Petersburg. I am sorry if you got offended. I just don't know what else to say to you, you are a very irrational person who just wants to scream and shove words down my throat that I did not say. I am going to be the grown person and back out of this. In another year this will be just a duty station I was at and I will move on. Good Luck to you and your town. And May God Bless You!
I don't live in Petersburg. I also am not screaming. I am a very calm person. In being calm I again say Petersburg does have upstanding neigborhoods as well as bad neighborhoods like any town. Disagreeing with you doesn't make me irrational it just makes me oppositonal to your views. Good luck to your new towns and your endeavers. May GOd bless you also!!(:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Enforce The Laws Thu VN Vet 4
City council Apr 21 Sonny 86
my bee Apr 20 lovydovy 2
Get rid of the career Politicians Apr 18 Zeke the Pinhead 1
Who knows Brian Canter? Apr 16 Heather 1
Why I hate hopewell va (Jan '11) Apr 11 VN Vet 91
A Flea Market in Petersburg Apr 10 38 DD one snap 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Lee Mortgages