Get Real

Newport News, VA

#88 Sep 28, 2013
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
I have been to the Sheriffs' Office, I know what Sodats job is, and have seen him in action. Sodat is a yes man. I would say one of Sodats weaknesses is he tries to please everyone. That is an admirable trait but an unattainable feat. Sometimes (especially a Sheriff) you need to have some backbone and do what is right and not try to please everyone. Just because he has spent over 25 years in the Sheriffs' Office does not mean he is the best candidate for Sheriff. If that was the criteria Greg would have never been elected Sheriff. Greg had zero experience in the Sheriffs' Office.
Luther is a good person but in My Opinion would not make a good Sheriff. Luther is to easily influenced by outside sources and (again my opinion) would do whatever he could to get and keep the job of Sheriff (even if that meant making a deal with the Devil so to speak).
The Good Ol Boys everyone is talking about is a group of people in Hopewell that do not have the best interest of Hopewell in mind; they are out for themselves. Unfortunately they have great influence in Hopewell and many believe they cannot get elected unless they make a deal with them. Once a deal is struck with this group then they "own" you so to speak.
Unfortunately Luther is in with that group. Greg is part of that group along with many others. Cloninger is also in with that group. The GOB's are attempting to keep the Sheriffs’ Office in their pockets and are trying to re capture the CA's Office therefore having complete control of the Court House.
The Hopewell Sheriffs’ Office should work with its PD counterpart better than it currently does. The Sheriffs’ Office needs to be more than a revenue machine for the city. While as Luther stated if the Deputies were pulled off of I 295 revenue would drop, I believe an hour or two each shift would not make that a big of a difference. Maybe the Sheriffs’ Office would have one less car and motorcycle that they do not need.
I understand about the GOB's, I agree they are all about themselves and not the city. That is quite evident. As far as Sodat becoming Sheriff, we will just have to agree to disagree. That's what makes our country what it is and why foreigners hate us so much. WE can speak our mind and give our opinions without punishment. We will just have to wait until Nov. 5th to see how this one plays out. Thank you for being matter of fact and not nasty, I appreciate that and the verbal sparring!!!
Now we need to get to work on the worthless City Council we have!!!
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#89 Sep 28, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand about the GOB's, I agree they are all about themselves and not the city. That is quite evident. As far as Sodat becoming Sheriff, we will just have to agree to disagree. That's what makes our country what it is and why foreigners hate us so much. WE can speak our mind and give our opinions without punishment. We will just have to wait until Nov. 5th to see how this one plays out. Thank you for being matter of fact and not nasty, I appreciate that and the verbal sparring!!!
Now we need to get to work on the worthless City Council we have!!!
Yes i just goes to show that we can have differing opinions but still be civil. No need for Nastiness.

And yes, city council needs t be ver hauled.
24fan

Unionville, VA

#90 Sep 28, 2013
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
I have been to the Sheriffs' Office, I know what Sodats job is, and have seen him in action. Sodat is a yes man. I would say one of Sodats weaknesses is he tries to please everyone. That is an admirable trait but an unattainable feat. Sometimes (especially a Sheriff) you need to have some backbone and do what is right and not try to please everyone. Just because he has spent over 25 years in the Sheriffs' Office does not mean he is the best candidate for Sheriff. If that was the criteria Greg would have never been elected Sheriff. Greg had zero experience in the Sheriffs' Office.
Luther is a good person but in My Opinion would not make a good Sheriff. Luther is to easily influenced by outside sources and (again my opinion) would do whatever he could to get and keep the job of Sheriff (even if that meant making a deal with the Devil so to speak).
The Good Ol Boys everyone is talking about is a group of people in Hopewell that do not have the best interest of Hopewell in mind; they are out for themselves. Unfortunately they have great influence in Hopewell and many believe they cannot get elected unless they make a deal with them. Once a deal is struck with this group then they "own" you so to speak.
Unfortunately Luther is in with that group. Greg is part of that group along with many others. Cloninger is also in with that group. The GOB's are attempting to keep the Sheriffs’ Office in their pockets and are trying to re capture the CA's Office therefore having complete control of the Court House.
The Hopewell Sheriffs’ Office should work with its PD counterpart better than it currently does. The Sheriffs’ Office needs to be more than a revenue machine for the city. While as Luther stated if the Deputies were pulled off of I 295 revenue would drop, I believe an hour or two each shift would not make that a big of a difference. Maybe the Sheriffs’ Office would have one less car and motorcycle that they do not need.
I will never understand why people keep complaining about our Sheriffs department giving speeders tickets on 295 that are going over 80 miles per hour. what in the hell is wrong with you people?
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#91 Sep 29, 2013
24fan wrote:
<quoted text>I will never understand why people keep complaining about our Sheriffs department giving speeders tickets on 295 that are going over 80 miles per hour. what in the hell is wrong with you people?
Excuse me, do you see anything in my post that says I am against running Radar on I 295. If you read what I have posted I am talking about what appears to be the BIG issue between the candidates running for Sheriff.

I personally have no issue with them running Radar. The quote you replied to was referring to what Sodat said at the forum. He stated that the Virginia Sheriffs' Association stated that the Hopewell Sheriffs' Office job was Court room Security and Civil Process. I included a link in my post to the Virginia Sheriffs' Association that also states that a Sheriff is responsible for Law Enforcement duties also. That is what Greg Anderson used to start the I 295 project.

I was showing that Luther cannot have it both ways. If as he said the Sheriffs' Office only job duties are Court Room Security and Civil Process then what are they doing running radar on 295. My contention is that they are Deputy Sheriffs' and have all duties and responsibilities of the Office of Sheriff.

Now really what would it hurt that if during the last 1 hour or 2 hours of their shift (As the other candidates have suggest) that the Deputies patrol the streets of Hopewell's neighbor hoods.

I just suggested that it may mean 1 less car and a motorcycle that the Sheriffs' Office does not really need.

So as you see I have problem with them running radar on 295. I do however have an issue with a candidate that is trying to mislead the public (or not fully state the duties of the Sheriff’s Office).

The truth is a Sheriff has a lot of power and responsibility. A Sheriff can restrict the powers he gives his Deputies or give them the full powers of the Office.

Some people just do not know how powerful a Sheriff is and just exactly what/who they are electing to Office.
Pops

Hopewell, VA

#92 Sep 30, 2013
haha wrote:
<quoted text>
Planters called... they want their nut back.
It looks to me planters did get their nuts back in the screen names of haha, I believe it and chirpy and a little more all three liars to boot! If your candidate doesn't have enough of a platform to stand on other than bashing another candidate with untruths they will surely manke a poor sherrif. TRY THE TRUTH you can prove for a change!
Pops

Hopewell, VA

#93 Sep 30, 2013
Petersburg Lawyer wrote:
Same ol, you hit the nail right on the head. It is all about the money and the GOB's keeping their hands in it. Sodat and Cloninger were recruited and are supported by them so that the GOB's can continue to own the courthouse. Cloninger and Sodat have now aligned themselves with each other and are running together. Sodat's team has even been out campaigning for Cloninger. The citizens need to wake up and see through all of the GOB's smoke and mirrors. The GOB's know that Sodat couldn't win in a head to head race with Mitchell, which is why they recruited Hunter. Sodat is a great guy but not leadership material. If he were he would be second in command after all of his years of service but he isn't. He has no original ideas to improve the City and unfortunately if elected, Anderson and the GOB's would be running the office from the sidelines. Hunter, too, is a nice guy but he has his own problems. He should have never treated that nice man who was exercising his constitutional rights the way in which he did even though I'm sure his heart was in the right place. That only leaves one candidate, Mitchell. She has some good ideas to bring much needed change to the department. Why doesn't everyone quit the nasty bashing and spreading lies, and really look at each individual and their qualifications. Do you really want the GOB's or Hunter in power, or someone who is independent and can't be bought.
I don't care what city you live in. You are someone who understands that Hopewell finally has a chance to start taking the power back from the GOB's in a Sheriff named Cathie Mitchell.
Pops

Hopewell, VA

#94 Sep 30, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
And just how do you know Sodat and Cloninger are GOB picks?? Obviously that would make you one of them. Mitchell is not the person everyone thinks she is. I am sick and tired of hearing about the GOB crap. Yes, Sodat is a good ole boy, I've known him for about 50 years and have never heard him tell a lie or be dishonest.....which is more than I can say for the other candidates. And, by the way, what business is it of yours? Do you live in Hopewell?? I really liked your comments the other day, but definitely not on this one!! Have you ever been to the Hopewell Sheriff's Dept, do you know what Sodat does there, have you seen him in action, do you personally know his leadership abilities, and why on earth would you think Anderson would be running the office from the sidelines????
Don't build that ivory tower of truth about Sodat too high. The fall will be hard! I have already proven him to be a liar to one of his staunch supporters with written provable word not hearsay.

When Anderson gets elected to City Council he will have Luther on a string in my opinion.
VN Vet

Hopewell, VA

#95 Sep 30, 2013
Only a fool or a GOB-butt-sucker would vote for Anderson for city council. He would be just like a clone of his chick(C.L-B.) Just remember that left-hook at Carr Brothers. POW.------Do you really want him on council? What a joke!
HWS

Waynesboro, VA

#96 Oct 1, 2013
please people if you want change vote Cathie Mitchell..
samebutdifferent

Hopewell, VA

#97 Oct 4, 2013
VNVET the word on the street is bailey will not run next time and Anderson is going to run. Just think about this if Sodat wins and Anderson wins the G.O.B.s will be sitting high with Anderson being the puppet master
Get Real

Dumfries, VA

#98 Oct 4, 2013
samebutdifferent wrote:
VNVET the word on the street is bailey will not run next time and Anderson is going to run. Just think about this if Sodat wins and Anderson wins the G.O.B.s will be sitting high with Anderson being the puppet master
And you know this because..........
Get Real

Dumfries, VA

#99 Oct 4, 2013
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't build that ivory tower of truth about Sodat too high. The fall will be hard! I have already proven him to be a liar to one of his staunch supporters with written provable word not hearsay.
When Anderson gets elected to City Council he will have Luther on a string in my opinion.
Prove him a liar to me. Don't think you can do it.
HWS

Hopewell, VA

#100 Oct 4, 2013
to Get Real- some simple free research downtown will open your eyes about Sodat, pretty interesting stuff
Get Real

Dumfries, VA

#101 Oct 4, 2013
HWS wrote:
to Get Real- some simple free research downtown will open your eyes about Sodat, pretty interesting stuff
Where should I look downtown? I'd really like to know.
HWS

Hopewell, VA

#102 Oct 4, 2013
well get real if you are that dumb as to not know where to research stuff, nevermind. Informed voters research all candidates as well as question all candidates before casting their vote
Get Real

Dumfries, VA

#103 Oct 5, 2013
HWS wrote:
well get real if you are that dumb as to not know where to research stuff, nevermind. Informed voters research all candidates as well as question all candidates before casting their vote
Figures you would have to be nasty. That's pretty much what this board is all about. I know more than you might think about ALL the candidates. I don't have to research and question the candidates before voting. I'm a life long resident and know what these folks are all about. Have you done your research on the others???
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#104 Oct 5, 2013
HWS wrote:
Really??, not everyone knows how to research or where to begin. If information exists as you say proving Sodat a liar; then you should show it. Or at least tell us where to get it.

It is so easy to throughout accusations on a Topic Board; yet another to be nasty when asked to back that accusation. This can be done easily without being rude.

I would have no problem with backing up my accusations by pointing someone in the right direction as long as I was speaking the truth.

I do not understand why some people on here need to be so nasty. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you are stating something as a fact then be prepared to back it up.

You could have just simply said that I am not going to do the research for you but you may want to start here at……. Not a nasty response, but gives the questioner what they want.

Just sayin
Same Ol Same Ol

Richmond, VA

#105 Oct 5, 2013
HWS wrote:
Oh and by the way I have had personal dealings with Sodat and I am not saying that you are not telling the truth, just no need to be rude about it.
HWS

Hopewell, VA

#106 Oct 5, 2013
I wasn't being nasty, I took get reals response as such. I too have lived here my entire life and know all three candidates and have for many,many years. That did not stop me from questioning each one on their objectives if elected. I also researched each one as I do any candidate running for any position in this town now.It is very easy to research criminal and civil court case history in Hopewell and Surrounding localities on anyone. I would not want to elect someone into a position as powerful as Sheriff with out thoroughly researching them for my own piece of mind. At least I would know that I didn't help elect someone if/when history repeats itself. I apologize if I offended anyone with my response
Get Real

Dumfries, VA

#107 Oct 5, 2013
Same Ol Same Ol wrote:
<quoted text>
Really??, not everyone knows how to research or where to begin. If information exists as you say proving Sodat a liar; then you should show it. Or at least tell us where to get it.
It is so easy to throughout accusations on a Topic Board; yet another to be nasty when asked to back that accusation. This can be done easily without being rude.
I would have no problem with backing up my accusations by pointing someone in the right direction as long as I was speaking the truth.
I do not understand why some people on here need to be so nasty. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if you are stating something as a fact then be prepared to back it up.
You could have just simply said that I am not going to do the research for you but you may want to start here at……. Not a nasty response, but gives the questioner what they want.
Just sayin
Very nicely said!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are Petersburg Students so darn Stupid, wor... (Oct '12) Mon Lung Crow 44
Adult bookstore (Feb '12) Nov 24 trolling snaghook 29
Diversity is a codeword for White genocide Nov 24 7859hkgjt 1
City Attorney Resigns Nov 22 Lisa 2
Sexual Predator Caught by Hopewell Couple on No... Nov 22 Martha 3
Report bad work from Kenny Amos here. Nov 14 Buddy Mitchell 10
Skating rolls back into the Tri-Cities (Jan '14) Jan '14 Lordcaliva 1
Fort Lee Dating
Find my Match

Fort Lee People Search