Board of Supervisors member, What does Prince George really need?

Posted in the Fort Lee Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Jul 10

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2010

I have read many threads regarding the "goings on" of managing members of our fine county. Many of your concerns are legitimate and warrant further investigation. As a citizen of Prince George I am very concerned that we have such distrust in our elected county officials. This though, can only be changed when we take the time to vote during the next election. My reason for posting is I want to know what your thoughts are on what Prince George needs to progress into the county that we have chosen to call home and what you feel are the hot button issues our Board of Supervisors and County Administrator need to implement and take action on. I for one feel that change is good and long overdue in our county administration. That is not to say we donít have some outstanding people working diligently to better Prince George, but some new faces and ideas are needed!

I do want to comment on a couple of topics I hope you will all take the time to read and act on. First, Prince George Board of Supervisors, as you know, are our elected officials. In this capacity it is imperative they act in a manner that is above reproach. To be a member of the board and sully the reputation of our county is something we donít need. Anyone in that position that has done so should do the decent and correct thing and resign his or her position. Alexander Pope once said,ďTo error is human but to forgive is divine ď. As members of the board these men are to act according to the Supervisorsí code of ethics which I hope you will take the time to read on the county website. When we pick people for these positions we need people that not only think of this as a job, but a mission to shape our community.

Secondly, I want to take a moment to thank all of our emergency service personnel (Police, Fire, and EMS) for doing an outstanding job. These hard working men and women are the back bone of our community and put themselves on the line everyday so our families can be safe and our property secure. Often we donít call on these services but I am sure glad we have dedicated employees and volunteers should we need them. I encourage you to take a moment and thank these folks.
What do you think?

In closing I leave you with this:

Men make history and not the other way around. In periods where there is no leadership, society stands still. Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better." - Harry S. Truman, 1959
2ZoomZoom

Upper Marlboro, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

I could think of a few improvements. It seems that the roads in front of certain board members are being very well maintained, however the same road across 156 and oter seocondary roads look and feel like crap. Also, we have been trying to get Comcast to install cable numerous times without success. We were told that the county is blocking the process of expanding their service for years. That the county board keeps denying their request to expand to certain rural areas. Perhaps due to lack of demand. The demand is there, people are just tired of requesting a service they can't get. Satelite TV is expensive & unreliable. Dial up, broadband slow as heck, Broadband outrages!!
But I gues if you are a board supervisor you can afford it.
dlt

Colonial Heights, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2010

Judged:

We are of course concerned about our county and of our entire country. What of our freedom, our way of life under the present powers that be? I believe we are heading down a dark road- full speed and need prayer for our leaders as well as ourselves.(In God I trust and woe to those who do not)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 13, 2010

Judged:

The county should be working towards creating more jobs and improving the services in the area.
unknown

Zacata, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

Judged:

Before anything is done the State needs to come in and review everything. Its b.s. that people (one in particular) that are elected are costing Prince George County citizens money cuz he can't behave himself and they need to get rid of him. Honestly 12 on your side should be called and then let the whole county know what is going on. He knows he is a man of disgust and he thinks he is all that but he's not. I will find out who to contact and report everything. An investigation is needed and has been needed for quite some time.

“Camaro!!!!!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

unknown wrote:
Before anything is done the State needs to come in and review everything. Its b.s. that people (one in particular) that are elected are costing Prince George County citizens money cuz he can't behave himself and they need to get rid of him. Honestly 12 on your side should be called and then let the whole county know what is going on. He knows he is a man of disgust and he thinks he is all that but he's not. I will find out who to contact and report everything. An investigation is needed and has been needed for quite some time.
Who and what are you talking about? You think there is a dishonest politician here in P.G.? Wow! I sure would like to know which one it is. Please keep us otherwise utterly, blissfully ignorant citizen up to date on that.
unknown

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2010

Judged:

Lol!!!!! They just think Prince George County citizens are stupid!!!!!
Old Flame

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2011

Well its been 8 months. What are your thoughts now about our County Government????????
One More Voter

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2011

Judged:

We need change in PG County. Lets start at the voting polls next week. In District 2 vote out the Supervisor who is known as sleezy trash (and many people know of his exploits over the last 25 years) with no integrity and vote in Mr Gandell. Then we voters need to begin to make changes in the way our county government is run. Have you ever wondered why most counties have 5 supervisors and 5 voting districts?? Why does PG County have only two voting districts with 2 Supervisors elected in Dist one and 3 Supervisors elected in Dist 2??? Answer is that with only two dog races in the county it helps the good ole boys continue to be elected time and again til they have been in office 30 years and they think they own the county and not US THE CITIZENS. Educate your neighbors as we citizens need to change this before the next elections.

Since: Jun 11

Midlothian, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2011

Judged:

Before there can even be a thought of changes, there need to be fresh bodies in the race. Most of the incumbents are unopposed so the vote is just the formality.

Even with that in mind, I will exercise the right on Nov 8. At least then when I send complaints I can honestly say I am involved. To me being involved can help things change.
Common Sense

Merrifield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

What Prince George needs is to not spend 1.5 million dollars on a piece of land valued at $500,000! I'm sure there is a better use for that money. Let's hear about some good ideas for this.
gimmeabrake

Hopewell, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

All set to leave Hopewell's political mess and pure ugly stupidity behind for the green grass pastures of good ol PG and BAM they can't seem to get it right either. On to susssex Co where true civility lies.....oops
pgcitizen

Monroe, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2012

Judged:

Common Sense wrote:
What Prince George needs is to not spend 1.5 million dollars on a piece of land valued at $500,000! I'm sure there is a better use for that money. Let's hear about some good ideas for this.
Where can we learn more about this?

“Camaro!!!!!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2012

>pgcitizen: hehe, what else is new! I'm struggling paying my property taxes, love the new and empty look of the administration building too and the "friendly service with a smile" that take my tax checks!!
What

Chantilly, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2012

1.5 million? For land assessed at $500,000? PLEASE tell me this is not true! I hope they are not considering this.
Listen

Lovettsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

Judged:

They need to listen to the citizen. If the overwhelming majority of the citizens don't want to spend $1.5 million on a $500,000 tract of land, DON'T BUY THE LAND! This is absurd! What a waste. But, what do you expect. Good ole boys looking out for good ole boys. Buying the land from the Burns. Smells fishy to me.
Crazy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2012

Judged:

There was an interesting article in the Progress Index about this issue. I encourage everyone to read it. The county already owns land on RT156. They said it would cost too much money to install utilities there. If that is true, why did they buy it in the first place. With todays economic situation, is it really a smart idea to purchase this land? How much more money will it cost to complete this pet project.$1.5 million just for the land. How much for site work, athletic fields, parking lots, and buildings? How many millions are they planning to sink into this, and what kind of revenue would it generate? It's a drain on the taxpayer! A "landslide majority" as Robertson stated is against it. This majority os the citizens of PG. Why would board members like Parker, Skalski, and Carmichael entertain this idea when the citizens don't want it? Parker said that we need to "look at the long view". That long view is fiscal irresponsibility! It does not make sense.
schools budget

West Point, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Judged:

They should put this money towards the school's budget! I can't believe they would turn down money for the school but would spend the same amount on land that the citizens don't want. This is insane.
Wasteful

West Point, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2012

Judged:

How much more money are they going to waste? First the library, now land for ball fields! This is a waste! Stop being careless with our money!
School Fan

Loretto, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Judged:

We need a board member that supports the schools!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fort Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
See what Hopewell Contractor does not stand beh... 15 hr Buddy Mitchell 23
Dozens to be rounded up in record-breaking drug... (Mar '13) 16 hr jason jones 16
Smell Mon Billy Bob 3
City Manager sucks again! Aug 18 joeblo 4
Would you hire an unlicensed, uninsured contra... Aug 17 Buddy Mitchell 28
Why is Buddy Mitchell not a liar anymore??? Aug 13 bad apples 34
What happened to VN Vet? Miss the comments. Aug 11 VN Vet 6

Search the Fort Lee Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Fort Lee Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000