Plan to build lodging at Fort Lee concerns hoteliers

Jun 23, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Hotel Online

Jun. 23--The proposed construction of a large lodging facility at Fort Lee has triggered concern among hotel industry leaders and local government officials in the Tri-Cities. The Army is contemplating building a 1,000-room facility at Fort Lee to support a projected student growth at the installation because of the 2005 Base Realignment and ...

Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Jul 7, 2009
Stanley White

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2009

Judged:

I think this would be a great idea. This would save the tax payers a lot of money.You federal tax dollars pay for the hotel rooms that the Army has to rent every week. When these solders come to Fort Lee after this is built, the solders would have a place to stay right at the base and there would no need for a taxi either. That is more money saved.
Desiree Lewis

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2009

Judged:

I don't think this is really a great idea... Only because me being a soldier and stationed at Fort Lee. Honestly who wants to stay right where you train?! Nobody at all. Soldiers don't want to stay in lodging on post. When we get off and are relaxing we want to be around regular normal people, nothing military related... And either way it goes this lodging is still being paid for out of tax dollars. On post lodging is not FREE to all, just soldiers attending temporary schools. And these schools are up to 1-2 months so who do you think is paying for that... the tax dollars. Now just because they build this lodge soldiers who are still in thier training phases (ait) are not going to stay in this lodging. They are going to go off post and get them a hotel room and party! Im sorry i just think this is a dumb idea.
Angie

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2009

Desiree Lewis wrote:
I don't think this is really a great idea... Only because me being a soldier and stationed at Fort Lee. Honestly who wants to stay right where you train?! Nobody at all. Soldiers don't want to stay in lodging on post. When we get off and are relaxing we want to be around regular normal people, nothing military related... And either way it goes this lodging is still being paid for out of tax dollars. On post lodging is not FREE to all, just soldiers attending temporary schools. And these schools are up to 1-2 months so who do you think is paying for that... the tax dollars. Now just because they build this lodge soldiers who are still in thier training phases (ait) are not going to stay in this lodging. They are going to go off post and get them a hotel room and party! Im sorry i just think this is a dumb idea.
I agree with you. The government will soon be deciding when, where and how you can take an affordable dump!
Angie

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2009

What is going on??? Do we still live in the USA? Everything is CHANGING right down to when and where you can take a comfortable DUMP!
Jeff Chaney

Stafford, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2009

During my 26 years in the Navy, I was required to move around and attend training at many different facilities. I can tell you that the Navy has come a long way in upgrading it facilities to support its service members. Building new facilities are costly but, in the long run, can save tax payers dollars. Many logging facilities in San Diego are managed by private corporations which reduce cost. Some are even built on a joint partnership like the new housing units located at Marine Corp Base Quantico thus ensuring the civilian community gets it cut of the pie. During a 5 month tour at Navy Weapons Station Dahlgren, the Navy did not have enough rooms to allow us to stay on base. Because of this, I lived in a hotel room which required the Navy to pay me full per diem. Pre diem is a specific amount of money that an organization allows an individual to spend per day, to cover living and traveling expenses in connection with work. I could have easily purchase a luxury condo for the amount of money they were paying me, but none were available. The objection and concern among hotel industry leaders and local government officials in the Tri-Cities, is one of economic dollars. If the military builds, they tend to lose a lot of taxable revenue.
Ex-Army

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

Please, get over it. If you are in the military you get to live where the military says...did you remember your time-out card?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Fort Lee Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fort Lee Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••