Hopewell 'million dollar highway' under investigation

Apr 3, 2012 Full story: NBC12 56

HOPEWELL, VA - Are speeding tickets being written as matter of public safety or to generate revenue? It's a question being put to deputies in Hopewell.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
lol

Sacramento, CA

#42 Apr 11, 2012
GI Joe wrote:
Ha. Hopewell fail.
I just did some number crunching... without this revenue, the average Hopewell resident will have to pay an additional $54.87 in real estate taxes.
I would show my math, but most of you wouldn't understand it.
Tough pill to swallow. But hey, Hopewell needs an awesome CA staff to prosecute all those criminals and keep them off the street. That's what makes Hopewell the lovely place it is today. Right?
Completely agree 100% with every statement you just made! Got to love the hard working staff that keeps our City so crime free! CA's office should understand that the citizens of Hopewell aren't going to trust a man that is a creep and hits on anything doesn't have man parts between their legs. He is a joke along with the rest of the staff. His term can't end soon enough! I can pretty much guarantee he is the one that started this whole debacle because he didn't get his way.
lol

Sacramento, CA

#43 Apr 11, 2012
http://progress-index.com/news/driver-charged...

guess this is horrible too that the Sheriff's got this guy off the road! hmmmm
Clearly

Woodford, VA

#44 Apr 11, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Completely agree 100% with every statement you just made! Got to love the hard working staff that keeps our City so crime free! CA's office should understand that the citizens of Hopewell aren't going to trust a man that is a creep and hits on anything doesn't have man parts between their legs. He is a joke along with the rest of the staff. His term can't end soon enough! I can pretty much guarantee he is the one that started this whole debacle because he didn't get his way.
Amazing that Newman has been in office for 2 years, fully aware of what was going on on 295 but, after he doesn't get HIS share of the money HE thinks he deserves, he causes this big stink. Sounds mature. Sounds like he really is focused on justice.
helloooooo newman

Wilmington, DE

#45 Apr 12, 2012
Clearly wrote:
<quoted text>
Amazing that Newman has been in office for 2 years, fully aware of what was going on on 295 but, after he doesn't get HIS share of the money HE thinks he deserves, he causes this big stink. Sounds mature. Sounds like he really is focused on justice.
When he was young he was probably the kid that took his ball and went home when he was losing. Why give the money to the state?? Hopewell needs it. Yes its about money,every county or city on an interstate does the same thing. Drive on 85 from Petersburg to nc line and see how many different counties are taking radar. Sooooooooo, in your best Seinfeld voice.........."NEWMAN "
Killin me

Hopewell, VA

#46 Jul 23, 2012
There is away to fix the problem with the million / 2 million dollar mile speed trap HEY GENIOUS DONE SPEED IF U DONT WANT A TICKET cux if u speed throw out town ull get a ticket and this is why BECAUSE YOUR BREAKING THE LAW good greef people cry about anything cry about giving speeding tickets to speeders so I guess the next step is to let all the robbers walk too give me a break breaking the law is breaking the law
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SHERIFFS
Slurpee Summit

Chester, VA

#47 Jul 24, 2012
Killin me wrote:
There is away to fix the problem with the million / 2 million dollar mile speed trap HEY GENIOUS DONE SPEED IF U DONT WANT A TICKET cux if u speed throw out town ull get a ticket and this is why BECAUSE YOUR BREAKING THE LAW good greef people cry about anything cry about giving speeding tickets to speeders so I guess the next step is to let all the robbers walk too give me a break breaking the law is breaking the law
Hopewell education?
GI Joe

Ellicott City, MD

#48 Jul 24, 2012
Killin me wrote:
CLOSED CAPTIONED:
There is a solution for the speed trap. Attention fellow commenters: Do not speed if you do not want a ticket. Speeding everywhere increases your chances of getting a ticket because many municipalities enforce speeding regulations. Oh heavens! People get upset over laws, but we should not get angry and let everyone, criminals included, do as they please. Keep up the good work Sheriff's Department.
Slurpee Summit

Chester, VA

#49 Jul 24, 2012
GI Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
CLOSED CAPTIONED:
There is a solution for the speed trap. Attention fellow commenters: Do not speed if you do not want a ticket. Speeding everywhere increases your chances of getting a ticket because many municipalities enforce speeding regulations. Oh heavens! People get upset over laws, but we should not get angry and let everyone, criminals included, do as they please. Keep up the good work Sheriff's Department.
As I recall, the great citizens of Hopewell voiced their complaint, when the Sheriff's Dept set up radar by Mathis Field. They're no longer there.:) Anchor Point and Prince George Court residents didn't want to slow down. And we still don't!!
proofread please

Richmond, VA

#50 Jul 24, 2012
Slurpee Summit wrote:
<quoted text> Hopewell education?
iPhone without proofing! Or can they be that stupid?
If not mistaken

Hopewell, VA

#51 Jul 25, 2012
I believe the sheriff has the power to shut down the police department
Clowns

Hopewell, VA

#52 Jul 25, 2012
Bunch of cry babies next thing y'all will be cring about it the police running a speed trap on rt 10 in front of Honeywell if you don't lime it move out
curious

Richmond, VA

#53 Aug 12, 2012
Officer Stanley brother stopped in Prince George Co with 3 ounces of marijuana,scales. No arrest? Hmmmm but it's big deal when he stops drug dealers on 295
jgs

Hopewell, VA

#55 Jan 28, 2013
Shut it Down wrote:
Public safety? Speeding yes, but not the revenue. This is a gross injustice and misapproation of money. City council is extorting this money. If the funds are being used for public safety then why isn't the Hopewell Police Department reaping the rewards of this money? Instead this money is funding the rehab of the marina, the Beacon, and the Downtown.
Hopewell's crime rate is off the charts and we need more oFficers. Hopewell is a springboard for new cops. Train here, leave after a year or two and get paid better in other cities. Invest in public safety instead of lying about it.
Daley should be fired. His inability to guide council to vote on positive things and business deals has runied this city. The $2 million dollars is a cover up for HIS inability to bring business to Hopewell and make up for his ethanol screw up. He has ruined Hopewell. Businesses are leaving Hopewell on a daily basis. If a new one comes its not long before they leave.
City council is spending the revenue from this speed trap like liquid gold. Maybe its time to fire them too. Pelham, Walton and Stokes bye-bye. November is right around the corner, we don't want you back.
no, most of the officers in hopewell have at least been there for 4 years or more. the hopewell police department also does not need the money . they have contracts with dodge and other tacticle equipment companies, where they receive their stuff. the money should be going to bring hopewell back to the way it used to be. and no one like Pelham, but she still has her 13 or so jobs in hopewell. even though she only works at a few of them.
Update

Colonial Heights, VA

#56 Sep 18, 2013
There will be another interview with Sheriff Anderson tonight on NBC12 News at 11pm.
Billy Bob

Hopewell, VA

#57 Sep 19, 2013
Update wrote:
There will be another interview with Sheriff Anderson tonight on NBC12 News at 11pm.
I missed the interview. What was it about?
yeahright

Hopewell, VA

#58 Oct 29, 2013
smh wrote:
Agreed. U don't c other jurisdictions camped out on the highway to make money cuz they r concerned about safety within their city. We have state troopers for a reason. N it seems fishy that Hopewell has all new patrol cars. Other cities still seem to think that the old cars r sufficient for now and the money could b used for sumthin better. Like more police. I mean one charger costs more than a years salary for an officer. N maybe Hopewell could hire sum un crooked cops
Yes you do. It's happening everywhere around the state. Perhaps a trip out of Hopewell is in order for you. Prince George is hittin 295 also, as well as Dinwiddie on 85, Sussex on 95, and emporia on 95 just to name a few.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donna Howlett 5 hr WeLiveInACrazyWorld 12
Review: Speedy Cars Inc (Apr '14) Tue happywithspeedy 3
Report bad work from Kenny Amos here. Tue JJJ 12
Is Edwina Daniel a good Realtor? (Dec '13) Dec 12 Cramaz 27
City Attorney Resigns Dec 6 Mansion Hiller 3
Why Are Petersburg Students so darn Stupid, wor... (Oct '12) Dec 5 Zipperhead 46
Prince George Missing Man (Sep '08) Dec 1 anonymous 56
Fort Lee Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fort Lee People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fort Lee News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fort Lee

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:40 pm PST