Shipwreck near Fort Lauderdale can't ...

Shipwreck near Fort Lauderdale can't be removed

There are 17 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Oct 1, 2008, titled Shipwreck near Fort Lauderdale can't be removed. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Beach cleaners would love nothing more than to remove the eyesore that was once the Seas A Lady.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

theyre just animals

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Oct 1, 2008
I'm getting bloody sick and tired of hearing about these sea turtles. They're just animals for goodness sake. And the governments bend over backwards to make sure a few of them hatch every year, no matter what the inconvenience to the humans of the area. Why don't they just nationalize and close all of the beaches to humans and declare them an off-limits national turtle wildlife refuge.
Proud American

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#3 Oct 2, 2008
And what about us - humans having a clean safe beach!
theyre just animals wrote:
I'm getting bloody sick and tired of hearing about these sea turtles. They're just animals for goodness sake. And the governments bend over backwards to make sure a few of them hatch every year, no matter what the inconvenience to the humans of the area. Why don't they just nationalize and close all of the beaches to humans and declare them an off-limits national turtle wildlife refuge.
2 cents

Miami, FL

#4 Oct 2, 2008
let the turtles hatch then clean it up later... no big deal.

Since: Apr 07

Tallahassee, FL

#5 Oct 2, 2008
Proud American wrote:
And what about us - humans having a clean safe beach!<quoted text>
There a beaches all along the coast, both east and west. And you're worried about a mile of "unclean, unsafe" beach? Go to another while wildlife officials try to help what I'm sure you're destroying.
Moe

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Oct 2, 2008
Better worry more aout the fhucken economy and less about the sea turtles!
lostsoulsbeach

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#7 Oct 2, 2008
The problem, officials said, is that the state won't let heavy equipment into the area because recent storms and beach erosion have washed away sea turtle nest markers.

Have the people who mark the nests heard of GPS ? Map marking with GPS points ?

If Fay exposed the nests, the seagulls had their breakfast before the nest markers got up that day.

“Share the Road.”

Since: Jul 08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Oct 2, 2008
But it's the GOM. They need thier view. For the 2 to 3 months out of the year that they are down here! Screw the turtles!
Burgerman

United States

#9 Oct 2, 2008
theyre just animals wrote:
Humans, they are just animals for goodness sakes. Sounds the same, doesn't it? What is the inconvenience to the humans? Why not take out your discomfort on the boatowner , who somehow managed to lose control of his vessel and ended up parking it on your precious beach?

Enjoy your morning meal of tortoise soup, while you can.
Poinsettia Pete

New Orleans, LA

#11 Oct 2, 2008
Wrong headline, so it invites idiots to bash the sea turtles. If you read the article, they will be able to remove the wreckage by the end of the week.
WhatFi

Miami, FL

#12 Oct 2, 2008
Why can't they get their lazy butts out there and remove the boat by hand? They are allowed to drive those 4 wheelers on the sand. Use those to haul the stuff away.
New attitude

Durham, NC

#13 Oct 2, 2008
Seriously...the people who live there need to just relax for a few more days. The boat will be taken out as soon as the eggs hatch. You're view might not be the best, but it's temporary.
Conserva

Orlando, FL

#14 Oct 2, 2008
Don't blame the knucklehead who took his boat out in a storm.
Don't blame the condo commandos who can't stand that their flat sterile beach temporarily has a little maritime character.
Don't blame the lazy beach cleaners who can't pick up any trash without diesel equipment.
Blame the sea turtles.
Then blame God...
I hate sea turtles

AOL

#15 Oct 2, 2008
To Conserva You're an idiot! For your information Sea Turtle nesting season is for nine months every year. From March first until the end of November. That is nine months that the beach can't be cleaned. They need to remove the nests like they used to do. All the nests that are still on the beach are dead, and the state knows this. They are just making their point and the public is paying for it, with a filthy beach.
Also why don't you try carrying a fifty foot boat off the beach by hand. The beach crew isn't just a bunch of lazy people. As I said before you are an idiot!
Conserva

Orlando, FL

#16 Oct 2, 2008
Dear I Hate,

Excellent points and well written!

Indeed, clean beaches are much nicer than those with all that unsightly sea life.

Seashells should be purchased at a store, and wildlife, filthy as it is, should be confined to zoos. Bully for our urban paradise!
Klymaxx

Pompano Beach, FL

#17 Oct 2, 2008
Awwwww.....Does this mean that the rich folks living in the high rise condos will have to look at this shipwreck for some time now?
Who really gives a rat's a*s*s?
loss of America

United States

#18 Oct 3, 2008
The shipwrecks should all be left alone to form reefs - Anyway, the next huricane should take care of things - no rush....
Sea turtle

AOL

#19 Oct 7, 2008
Not because it's my role as a volunteer firefighter, but as a security guard on night shift I was given a baby sea turtle to save. It was found at the condo I'm at by a grounds keeper. I simply walked to the beach and set him free at the water's edge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 4 min Face the Facts 365,987
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min mdbuilder 1,860,784
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) Mon Fartcubeforhillaroy 65,077
News An accused pill doctor and a groin-punching nur... (Nov '17) Sun reality 2
News As Florida recount wraps up, Democrat Gillum co... Nov 18 CodeTalker 1
News Florida election recount continues amid tension... Nov 14 Alison Kelliher 34
BO Darpa Defense Att. Micro taking Over US Wor... Nov 10 BOTortured Patriot 1

Fort Lauderdale Jobs

Personal Finance

Fort Lauderdale Mortgages