Broward County: Police crack down on ...

Broward County: Police crack down on aggressive drivers

There are 186 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 25, 2009, titled Broward County: Police crack down on aggressive drivers. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

More than 20 officers, deputies and troopers took to the highways for the Blitz on Aggressive Drivers traffic enforcement, or "Operation BAD," 3 to 11 p.m. Friday, spokesman Mike Jachles said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Bootris

Lake Worth, FL

#1 Feb 25, 2009
Cha Ching, Thats one way to fix the budget. Catch some people going 72 in a 65. Next week people will be back to 85-90 mph without a cop in sight. Good way to get the revenue up before the end of February. Think it will change driving behavior in the long run? Naaahhh
Elsie

United States

#2 Feb 25, 2009
Bootris wrote:
Cha Ching, Thats one way to fix the budget. Catch some people going 72 in a 65. Next week people will be back to 85-90 mph without a cop in sight. Good way to get the revenue up before the end of February. Think it will change driving behavior in the long run? Naaahhh
Those that pay a hefty fime and/or have their licence suspended may change their attitudes. A little at a time; it can't all be done at once.
If it builds up a little revenue at the same time; good. If you can't afford the ticket, drive appropriately. If you can; thanks for the bucks.
Officer Friendly

Miami, FL

#3 Feb 25, 2009
So let me get this straight, 20 officers were dedicated to roaming a specific area as a "Blitz" on aggressive drivers and only had 16 citations for aggressive driving, but had 38 citations given for non-moving violations and 119 violations of the non-aggressive driver type. It seems to me that this is a "Blitz" against the people of Ft. Lauderdale. These aggressive cops on a blitz like this are the type to pull you over and give you a lengthy and overdone check out and harassment. They should concentrate their efforts on fighting high-crime areas and get into the nitty gritty of law enforcement.
JaRomey

Delray Beach, FL

#4 Feb 25, 2009
While it does raise some revenue - you can avoid it. SLOW THE F--K DOWN!!!!!! Simple way to aviod it. By the way Bootass I am not a cop I am just sick of the crazy speeders and the clueless oldies. I am sure they gave you a ticket for 72 - that is what you thought you got down to when you saw the cop and hit your breaks.
James

Rendsburg, Germany

#5 Feb 25, 2009
Good Job Guys colleting more money for the city, nothing else. Oh you crime fighters you.....
freddie mercury

Miami, FL

#6 Feb 25, 2009
Officer Friendly wrote:
So let me get this straight, 20 officers were dedicated to roaming a specific area as a "Blitz" on aggressive drivers and only had 16 citations for aggressive driving, but had 38 citations given for non-moving violations and 119 violations of the non-aggressive driver type. It seems to me that this is a "Blitz" against the people of Ft. Lauderdale. These aggressive cops on a blitz like this are the type to pull you over and give you a lengthy and overdone check out and harassment. They should concentrate their efforts on fighting high-crime areas and get into the nitty gritty of law enforcement.
Son of Sam was caught by a cop who wrote a parking ticket. Guess he shoulda been out fighting high crime areas and other things instead of writing simple parking tickets, eh?
wayne

Homestead, FL

#7 Feb 25, 2009
so why are people objecting to following the speed limit?
and how many of you have seen a motor rocket shoot by you like you were sitting still? and wonder how ong it will be before hes road kill?
if it made one person slow down and consider life, its worth the time it took. besides, the cops arent doing anything else so why not let them work for their money? they arent out stpping any crime.
slow down. its better to "arrive alive" and i certainly want to be part of that group. not only are you endangering yourself by speeding, you are endangering the rest of us too. you may not have anyone at home waiting for you but i do.
suggested name

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Feb 25, 2009
They should have called it "Operation Waste of Time" as the courts will dismiss them or plea them down to court costs anyhow.
I AM A1ACharles Dammit

West Palm Beach, FL

#11 Feb 25, 2009
Doing this more often would be nice.
David Perez

United States

#12 Feb 25, 2009
More money for the state that's all it is.
JUDGE DREDD

Deerfield Beach, FL

#14 Feb 25, 2009
And those incredibly awful traffic hearing officers will surely screw it up. Withheld Withheld Witheld
ReelThing

Delray Beach, FL

#17 Feb 25, 2009
This should be a daily thing.
Rusty

Deerfield Beach, FL

#18 Feb 25, 2009
Doesn't matter how many tickets they write, as long as the court system doesn't impose consequences; the violators will continue business as usual.
lab-rat

Boca Raton, FL

#19 Feb 25, 2009
I'm glad to see that the cops have done well on their fund raising project. Nice that they could drum up some extra scratch now that all the crimes in Broward are solved.
Elbee

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#20 Feb 25, 2009
Aggresive driver are criminals. They often hurt and kill others. Don't like tickets, slow down.
Dec 21 2012

Orlando, FL

#21 Feb 25, 2009
doesnt surprise me....LOL thats why I now live in Brevard county! where people OBEY LAWS-friendly-curteous-hardly see the police stop anyone. Its a law abiding community...and I will NEVER go back to Broward!!!
oh no

Hollywood, FL

#22 Feb 25, 2009
Nice to see the cops getting the "Real" crime. uh huh

can you say REVENUE STREAM???
Flagrante Delicto

AOL

#23 Feb 25, 2009
How many Davie and Sunrise police cruisers on 595 were ticketed for frequent moving violations observed by ordinary law abiding citizens EVERYDAY?
strkpr

Pompano Beach, FL

#24 Feb 25, 2009
Cops are pawns for the insurance industry, free radar guns, DUI equipment...

Since: Jan 07

Hialeah, FL

#25 Feb 25, 2009
Blatant money grab. That's all these are, just sit out there and write tickets en'masse. Frankly, 80%+ of the cars on I95, TPKE, or 595 EVER day can be pulled and written for something. And if you piss the cop off, that number goes to 100%.:)

If they only went after people who were actually causing dangerous situations, I would support it. But those tickets are much more difficult and a PITA to write. So, instead, I'm sure they just sat there with a radar gun getting everyone going over some arbitrary speed they selected, pulled them over, and wrote for speeding. Yup, I feel a LOT safer now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min moshx 1,421,393
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min Into The Night 61,106
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 29 min John-K 311,631
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Mon zazz 98,176
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Aug 29 Ize Found 70,974
News Obama founder of ISIS, says Trump Aug 24 WasteWater 82
News FBI seizes ChildNet records; CEO fired as more ... (Apr '07) Aug 14 Model American 210

Fort Lauderdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Lauderdale Mortgages