Weston principal charged with battery allowed to return home

The Falcon Cove Middle School principal who is accused of domestic violence was the object of intense debate Wednesday, as Mark Kaplan, his lawyer and his wife presented a united front in court and convinced a ... Full Story
really

United States

#23 Jan 8, 2009
Soo basically you can do not wrong as a principal. Nice...
geoff cohen is a crook

Pompano Beach, FL

#24 Jan 8, 2009
look at how geoff cohen gets starstruck by any one w/ any juice. remember phil allen who put his wife in so much fear she felt safer diving off her 30ft boat into the gulf stream after he threw a sprite can at her. what did ol geoff do since his wife lori parrish worked w/ phil allen in gov't work? gave him a 1000 dollar bond and some counseling.cohen gives 50 k bonds to guys w/ no juice and prison terms for non violent divorce situations. geoff cohen fancies himself a tough guy unless he can gain something.another con man judge who must go!!!!
aint it great

Phoenix, AZ

#25 Jan 8, 2009
guilty until proven innocent is the way some of these parties are taking this.

As long as the principal does not sleep on the job, students should be safe. If the wife is not fearful, then let the man go home to his family. Having him kept away puts pressure on the rest of the family too. Hurts the kids the most.
Crazy

Boca Raton, FL

#26 Jan 8, 2009
FALCON COVE EMPLOYEE"I HAVE WORKED WITH MR KAPLAN AT FCMS SINCE HE STARTED HIS PRINCIPAL POSITION. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN HE IS. THE KIDS AND STAFF RESPECT HIM. HIS DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN..."
Just don't let him take a nap!
This is attempted murder! Be serious this poor woman probably has to sleep with one eye open all the time and worry for her children every night, what kind of life is that. This is classic domestic violence and IT IS NOT PERSONAL it affects everyone. They all put on a "good face". For years domestic violence was considered PERSONAL and a family matter. That is why so many women (and some men) continue to be abused and end up dead.
Call it what it really is "attempted murder". If someone put something around my neck like that they may want to do it again. The wife should run and get help for her family call 211 or "Broward Women in Distress".
no story

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#27 Jan 8, 2009
The story is dead- let it go already. They are not going to file charges.
falcon cove parent

Miami, FL

#28 Jan 8, 2009
1)Witout intent there is no crime, the DA will drop this case very soon.
2) take a minute and google his disorder...th medicine is on his side.
3) I have kids at falcon cove and not only am I comfortable with him there I wouldnt trade him for any other Broward County principal.
Dave

AOL

#29 Jan 8, 2009
Charged with battery? Was it a 9 or 12 volt battery

“The Homies Have Spoken”

Since: Jul 08

Lighthouse Point, Florida

#30 Jan 8, 2009
Drop the charges, let the guy go and when this dunce of a woman ends up in pieces somewhere in the Everglades, we'll just shrug our shoulders and say, "oh well. That's the way the dumb broad wanted it."
I OWN YOU IN ASSKISSING

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#31 Jan 8, 2009
FALCON COVE EMPLOYEE wrote:
I HAVE WORKED WITH MR KAPLAN AT FCMS SINCE HE STARTED HIS PRINCIPAL POSITION. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHAT A WONDERFUL MAN HE IS. THE KIDS AND STAFF RESPECT HIM. HIS DOOR IS ALWAYS OPEN AND HE IS ALWAYS THERE TO ASSIST STUDENTS AND STAFF. LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE. KEEP HIS PERSONAL LIFE AT HOME. FALCON COVE IS A SCHOOL WITH OVER 2300 STUDENTS AND 150 FACULTY MEMBERS. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOUR GRAPES AND IF PEOPLE AREN'T HAPPY THEY SHOULD GO SOME WHERE ELSE!! MR. KAPLAN.... YOU ARE THE BEST!!!
Next time post your real name if you want credit for puckering up to the brown eye so well.
FC Parent

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#32 Jan 8, 2009
The story isn't dead at all. UPI picked it up and now there's a story on MSNBC.com .

I'm definitely in the innocent until proven guilty category, but as a FC parent, I find it appalling that he wasn't removed from the school while the case is being reviewed.

Also, I find it interesting that the head of the Cleveland Clinic's Sleep Disorder Clinic stated on NBC 6 last night that parasomnia IS treatable by medication. So, if that's the case, and it's been 18 months, either it's untreatable in Kaplan, he's not taking the meds, or there's something fishy about the whole thing.

To get a fuller picture, read the Herald articles, and comments there as well. I haven't read any SS article that mentions Kaplan's quotation (complete with expletive). Much less riff-raff allowed in the forums as well.
Hmmmmm

United States

#33 Jan 8, 2009
Let me see if I get this right...

He's not allowed to go home, but it's perfectly acceptable for him to go to school to monitor 1,000 kids? What if he falls asleep (as he is claiming) at his desk and decides to strangle a student or teacher? Hhhmmm...

Gotta love So Florida and to think! this happened in Hoity-toity Weston. Home of the $500k and up houses! Insane!
Maddog jr

Cincinnati, OH

#34 Jan 8, 2009
What wrote:
How is this still a story? This is pure sensationalism. Read the herald article where the wife states she "overreacted". This is now taken on a tone of, "let's kick a guy when he is down". Since when does the union care about anyone except really bad teachers?
No one except for a silly union and several disgruntled employees have said anything bad about him. Leave him alone already!
Sounds like a family member, what is your deal? The woman is a fool, guaranteed this guy is in the newws again within the next year
really

United States

#35 Jan 8, 2009
The main problem is that there is a double standard as Mr. Eckhardt points out in the article. One for administrators and one for teachers. This time I have to agree with BTUseless! BTU better push this maybe a lawsuit is in order.

If this guy is permitted to stay then the teachers so called involved in the sex scandel at Glades Middle need to be returned to their classrooms at once. What is good for one employee is good for all. We all play by the same rules!!!

Broward Schools are known for favoritism and it has to stop!
not right

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#36 Jan 8, 2009
Thomas Floyd wrote:
<quoted text> You sound like a disgruntled employee. You obviously know nothing about sleep disorders. They are real and they are scary. Did you read the part about his wife not being afraid of him? Are you jealous because he went to college a few more years than you? What makes him arrogant? I have'nt met too many bosses that aren't a little arrogant. And I have'nt met too many Broward County teachers that could pass a GED test.
Clearly you haven't met very many Broward County teachers. School principals should be held to an even higher standard than teachers. He should be fired as any teacher would be fired for doing the same. They earn a six-figure salary and have an easier job than a classroom teacher. You are a moron. Case closed so save any ridiculous response you may have.
Boca

Esom Hill, GA

#37 Jan 8, 2009
The kids at his school must be having a field day with jokes!
soho

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#38 Jan 8, 2009
Lisa Maxwell, executive director of the Broward Principals and Assistants Association, defended the board's inaction, saying Kaplan's arrest is a private matter that does not warrant his removal from the school.

But if he were a teacher....
Kae

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#39 Jan 8, 2009
Gimme a Break wrote:
Very confussing headline. It sounded like he got a jump start to charge his car battery so he can get home.
I'm still confused. You mean he's not a robot?
I thought the principal's battery wore out and his battery got charged so he can go home.
Kay

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#40 Jan 8, 2009
Principals, as teachers, are held to a higher moral standard. When a teacher is charged with a felony, the state considers sanctions against the teaching certificate. Whereas I don't think that the principal should lose his job, I do believe that the same process should occur. If you allow felons to supervise teachers, then you may as well allow felons to teach your children. How can you hold a teacher to a higher standard but relax that standard for the person overseeing those teachers? Its not rational!!!! Make Kaplan as accountable for his actions as any other person working in education. Its only fair.
have a nice day

AOL

#41 Jan 8, 2009
Giving ice cream money to a child as a defense he is a nice guy???? May not be the case here.....but isn't that what child molesters do to gain the child's confidence. Better find another character trait to prove he is a nice guy and that parent should be concerned.

Ted Bundy had some issues also and appeared to be a nice guy also....until you got to know him but then it was too late....
Diana

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#42 Jan 8, 2009
Thomas Floyd wrote:
<quoted text> You sound like a disgruntled employee. You obviously know nothing about sleep disorders. They are real and they are scary. Did you read the part about his wife not being afraid of him? Are you jealous because he went to college a few more years than you? What makes him arrogant? I have'nt met too many bosses that aren't a little arrogant. And I have'nt met too many Broward County teachers that could pass a GED test.
What a complete moron. Listen, you jerk, I have two masters' degrees and M. Kaplan does not. No one is a disgruntled employee but teachers are sick and tired of the double standard. When was the last time you were in a classroom? When was the last time you wrote a thesis paper? When was the last time you went into debt to further your education then not receive a pay raise?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Nuculur option 1,193,524
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 15 min Ratloder 69,143
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 24 min Brian_G 309,010
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Talkin To Idiots 51,595
Review: Law Offices Of George Castrataro 7 hr Transparent 2
Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 12 hr Anne 96,895
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 hr orange 71,562
Fort Lauderdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fort Lauderdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
How Can Dolphins Address Major Holes at CB?
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Browns Would Be Wise to Target Andre Johnson over Brian Hartline
NBC Sports 4:57 AM
Friday morning one-liners
NFL 7:35 AM
Could Ndamukong Suh land with Miami Dolphins?
Bleacher Report10:44 AM
Buzz: Agents Suspicious Dolphins Trying to Drive Up FA Prices