Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 311487 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Katie

Auburn, WA

#291195 Mar 29, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
"reject their unplanned pregnancy" is that the same as rejecting their unborn son or daughter?
Not from my perspective. A son and daughter are born. Alive and living a life beyond that equivalent to a plant. You of all people should know there is no guarantee any pregnancy will make it to term. Why do act as if these do? Why do you seem to be demanding these do?

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#291196 Mar 29, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
In the end, you want to take away their rights. Drop the prepositional phrase "to kill" and all you're left with is, "I want to take away their right."
You don't see there is no difference whether a dead embryo/fetus is the result of spontaneous or induced abortion. You don't see it because it's all you focus on because it goes against what you consider moral.
Never mind morals are subjective. Never mind the current moral running through Roe v Wade is that no woman can legally be forced to remain pregnant against her will nor can any woman be forced to abort against her will.
You want to remove these protections because you don't want women to have them. You want to exchange these with an insentient embryo/fetus who isn't going to know or care one way or the other.
But the women will.
And that makes you -- and all who hold your position -- a monster in my eyes.
Especially when all you can throw back at me are insults and lame arguments built on straw and lies.
"to kill" are the operative words. That is the only right I want to stop.

"lame arguments built on straw and lies."

Definitions are hardly "straw and lies".

Location hidden

#291197 Mar 29, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Not from my perspective. A son and daughter are born. Alive and living a life beyond that equivalent to a plant. You of all people should know there is no guarantee any pregnancy will make it to term. Why do act as if these do? Why do you seem to be demanding these do?
"You of all people should know there is no guarantee any pregnancy will make it to term. Why do act as if these do? Why do you seem to be demanding these do?"

Because there is a difference between dying and killing.

Location hidden

#291198 Mar 29, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
But Sue thinks the difference is significant enough to merit stealing civil rights.
I know you mean no harm. Until Sue lashed out at me the other night, I'd had this crazy idea she was being open-minded from a new POV regarding what's been going on with Gosnell. Silly me.
Gosnell was allowed to continue to kill women and babies because to expose him would "put up a barrier to women wanting abortions". Many of the people involved were either pro"choice" or were instructed by their superior who was pro"choice". The people who could have stopped him were negligent in their failure to report the dangerous conditions that they had knowledge of. If this was about any other procedure except abortion, they would have been held accountable.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#291199 Mar 29, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
But Sue thinks the difference is significant enough to merit stealing civil rights.
In her view, it sort of is. Tho I dont know that 'stealing' is the right word.

She and others dont view this issue as being about the woman's civil rights. IMHO, that's where the greatest divide between people in this issue comes into play.
I know you mean no harm. Until Sue lashed out at me the other night, I'd had this crazy idea she was being open-minded from a new POV regarding what's been going on with Gosnell. Silly me.
We all have our lines we wont cross. I think she does have a much more open mind than most folks - espeically those here who claim to be "pl", to ME, Sue exemplifies what's GOOD about the PL movement, someone that's open to actual debate, and to learning new things.

Learning however, doesn't mean changing one's mind about some issues. Some things, no matter how much knowledge we might have on a given issue, for better or worse, we stick to our guns on.

For me on this issue, its that I want more to stop the NEED for abortion - ie: education, availability of BC, educating women about their options (ALL of them), than my desire to STOP abortion at all costs.

We all get fierce about what we believe in on these issues, that's for sure.

Location hidden

#291200 Mar 29, 2013
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup killing another human being is morally wrong but not by your standards.
Zygotes, embryos and non-viable fetus's are NOT "human beings" Inkstain. No matter how much you want to babble that bullshit, its STILL bullshit.

Location hidden

#291201 Mar 29, 2013
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosnell was allowed to continue to kill women and babies because to expose him would "put up a barrier to women wanting abortions". Many of the people involved were either pro"choice" or were instructed by their superior who was pro"choice". The people who could have stopped him were negligent in their failure to report the dangerous conditions that they had knowledge of. If this was about any other procedure except abortion, they would have been held accountable.
I agree with you in ALL of this, but dont think you go far enough Sue.

You see it as ONLY an abortion issue, and there was a hell of a lot more going on in that clinic than illegal abortions. Remember, he got caught for drug dealing, and that had been going on for a LONG LONG time too. IMO, a hell of a lot more things were ignored than the abortions, by the health department, the pharmacies that filled the phony prescriptions for the illegal drugs to name just two.

As I've said, there's a whole lot of blame to go around. How many died becuase of the illegal drugs he was prescribing for example? Those victims are long forgotten, if anyone bothered to notice to begin with.

“Dan IS the Man”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#291202 Mar 29, 2013
Ocean56 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never SAID I hated being a woman, idiot. That was YOUR moronic interpretation.
As for pregnancy, it is often a miserable physical experience for many women, myself included, due to a variety of health conditions and in some cases, serious complications, both during pregnancy and at delivery. For this reason, the ONLY person who makes the decision whether to continue a pregnancy or not is the WOMAN who is pregnant.
For me, PREGNANCY SUCKS, which is why I made sure never to get pregnant again. I'm very grateful for the availability of reliable contraception, which has kept me pregnancy-FREE for the last 15+ years. I so love NOT being pregnant.
Shit-head control-freak fundies like Prince Tommyboy just don't get it because they're willfully ignorant.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#291203 Mar 29, 2013
She owns her uterus, and determines how--or if--it is used.
Ink wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what we have been saying, the woman doesn't own the body of her unborn child.

Indianapolis

#291204 Mar 29, 2013
And every goddman one of those laws contains specific language that differentiates it from abortion.
bman wrote:
<quoted text>
You pro-choicers really love ignoring the facts. In over 10 states its considered murder to kill a child in utero. In over 30 it's either murder or assault. And in the federal government it is considered murder to kill a child in utero. Just accept the facts. The more you deny them, the more you're making yourself look like an idiot. So yes, it is a double homicide. Look it up.

Indianapolis

#291205 Mar 29, 2013
Divine Mercy Novena? Isn't that a drag queen out of St Louis? If not, it should be.
sasylicious wrote:
For those interested
http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/novena....
Divine Mercy Novena begins today (Good Friday) and ends on Divine Mercy Sunday(a week after Easter).

Indianapolis

#291206 Mar 29, 2013
I presume it comes from the multiple flavors of christianity itself; the proliferation of versions didn't really begin until the RCC lost the copyright. fter that, many versions were "updated" from earlier transltions. Not to mention that, if you do your own version, you get the royalties.
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of which, I need to go to my mail and dig through. My rabbi moved to Israel, and we corrispond often. He sent me a few months ago a link to some new scholarly articles on that, which I beleive you'd be interested in. I'll try to play around and find them tonite and PM the links to you.
<quoted text>
I find it intersting, and very confusing - why so many different versions of the Christian bible exist - many of which actually contradict each other.
While I understand that the ancient languages may not translate well in all instances to English for example (let alone to French or Spanish LOL), most words DO have specific meanings, and it seems that some Christian bibles are more commentary in how they're translated, than actual scripture.
In the Jewish faith, there's really NOT many different versions or translations of the Tanakh. The 1962 JPS translation is generally acknowledged as the most literally accurate translations of the Tanach, and is used worldwide by most, be they reform, conservative, orthodox or whatever, as it uses the Masoretic Text of the Aleppo Codex as its base. While there's different publishers with very minor differences, there's no actual different "versions" of the Tanakh like there are for the christian versions of bibles.
Thoughts?
huskerlicious

Falls City, NE

#291207 Mar 29, 2013
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Zygotes, embryos and non-viable fetus's are NOT "human beings" Inkstain. No matter how much you want to babble that bullshit, its STILL bullshit.
Planned parenthood is for post birth abortions, I bet you are too, ya pile of bullwhacky.

Location hidden

#291208 Mar 29, 2013
huskerlicious wrote:
<quoted text> Planned parenthood is for post birth abortions, I bet you are too, ya pile of bullwhacky.
Knutter, you dippin into the stolen sacrimental wine again? There's no such thing as "post birth abortions".

**SHEESH**

You just get stupider with time.

Location hidden

#291209 Mar 29, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
I presume it comes from the multiple flavors of christianity itself; the proliferation of versions didn't really begin until the RCC lost the copyright. fter that, many versions were "updated" from earlier transltions. Not to mention that, if you do your own version, you get the royalties.
<quoted text>
LOL I can see that actually.

Have you seen in the news that this new pope seems to have a foot fetish? Poor things went from nazi pope to creepy pope.
The Prince

Allentown, PA

#291210 Mar 29, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
Shit-head control-freak fundies like Prince Tommyboy just don't get it because they're willfully ignorant.
I know that Jesus Christ shed his blood for us. His sacrifice of blood and life means that no longer is sacrifices of blood and life necessary. It stood in the face of the pagan practice of blood sacrifice that goes on to this day.

Christ died for our sins, for our salvation. Within a few hundered years of his horrible death at the hands of the pagan Romans and their multitude of Gods, a Roman Emporer declared Chrisitnaity as the Faith oif the Roman Empire. Today over half the world is part of the Christian Family.

You pagans have no control and are out of touch with the reality of humanity. You beckon to a dark and evil past. I pray fo you all.

A Happy Easter,for He is Risen!

Indianapolis

#291211 Mar 29, 2013
At least they're adult feet! That's refreshing. You know, some hookers get good money for letting guys do that to them.

If he really wants to humble himself, he'd just flat-out release the records on the sex scandals and admit the church's duplicity. Playing footsie's not all that impressive.
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you seen in the news that this new pope seems to have a foot fetish? Poor things went from nazi pope to creepy pope.
The Prince

Allentown, PA

#291212 Mar 29, 2013
LiIrabbitfoofoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hatred of Christianity knows no bounds, faux jew. You are the most hatefulo and vile of all the proabortiion pagans. Your on words betray your lack of the jewish Faith, you are a fraud.

Still, I will pray for you.

Happy Easter, for He has Risen!

Indianapolis

#291213 Mar 29, 2013
I'm making bread sunday...we'll see which rises first.
The Prince wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hatred of Christianity knows no bounds, faux jew. You are the most hatefulo and vile of all the proabortiion pagans. Your on words betray your lack of the jewish Faith, you are a fraud.
Still, I will pray for you.
Happy Easter, for He has Risen!
Gtown71

United States

#291214 Mar 30, 2013
STO wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Bit. Looks like I ruffled Ink's duck feathers. lol
Ok?
Sto -my biggest flaws are being a jerk alot, and trying to do the work, that I cannot do. Only the Holy spirit can. You have any?
Plus if you know scripture the way you say, then why take certain things so personal? Even the best did and do work for satan from time to time. Whether they realize it or not. Your not immune.

I do like how you can bounce back though, it takes a special kind for this, many know nothing about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Henry 1,403,724
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 6 hr TRD 70,827
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 hr Earthling-1 60,657
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 17 hr zazz 98,128
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 18 hr TWP 72,037
News Jehovah's Witnesses take faith -- and mops -- t... Sat carlossantana 6
the outlaws motorcycle gang in south Florida is... (Feb '11) Jul 20 Lynch 255

Fort Lauderdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Lauderdale Mortgages