Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision

There are 20 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 22, 2008, titled Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision. In it, Newsday reports that:

Thousands of abortion opponents marched from the National Mall to the Supreme Court on Tuesday in their annual remembrance of the court's Roe v. Wade decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“GO BLACKHAWKS!!”

Since: Dec 07

Home of Lord Stanley!

#287574 Mar 1, 2013
Corgi lover wrote:
<quoted text>Most people lived a moral life in the past and present. We had names for girls and guys that messed around. No one wanted to have a reputation . In reality our lives are boring compared to the books you must read. Maybe you need to have your uncle, you know the Deacon, sit you down and tell you about right from wrong and make sure he teaches your son. Many clergy have revisited the thought of the devil coming back and causing problems right before Christ comes back, many clergy think that time is now. Go find a role model for your son, maybe find a detective and seek out the kids dad and start teaching morals to him. If you need any help, seek your uncle, the Deacon or go watch Duck Dynasty and read the book that is written about the Robertson family. We need more role models like them .
We went from discussing the selfishness of women who have abortions and who refuse to give their children up for adoption to discussing how teens will have sex regardless of how their parents feel about it to how premarital sex has been going on since antiquity and now you've went off on a tangent about reading material and brought up my family, which has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Speaking of which, where does the assumption that I don't know where my sons father is come from? I don't speak often of him but when I do, I've made it very clear that he, and his family, are very involved in my son's life.

And you keep speaking of morality but as I said before, morality is very subjective. Your version of morality may not be someone elses version of morality and vice versa. That doesn't mean either of you are right or wrong. If the Good Lord has a problem with your morals, my morals or someone elses morals, He'll judge each and every one of us accordingly come our judgement day.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#287575 Mar 1, 2013
Gtown71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct!:)
Before God woke me up, in every way -I was For Abortion, not just womens right to choose, but FOR abortion.
I thought just like many pro choice folks here now do.
I thought most kids were better off anyway, and where would they all live, we have to many people in the world now, and if they will have a hard life, they are better off dead.
Yet now "since " God woke me up, I realize It is Not my call to make.
Yet I always knew they were babies being killed, before and after Jesus saved my sorry butt.
I call bullsh*t.

Since: Mar 13

Location hidden

#287576 Mar 1, 2013
Republicans co-wrote the abortion bill. So they are just as much to blame as anyone else.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#287577 Mar 1, 2013
-Michelle- wrote:
<quoted text>
We went from discussing the selfishness of women who have abortions and who refuse to give their children up for adoption to discussing how teens will have sex regardless of how their parents feel about it to how premarital sex has been going on since antiquity and now you've went off on a tangent about reading material and brought up my family, which has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.
Speaking of which, where does the assumption that I don't know where my sons father is come from? I don't speak often of him but when I do, I've made it very clear that he, and his family, are very involved in my son's life.
And you keep speaking of morality but as I said before, morality is very subjective. Your version of morality may not be someone elses version of morality and vice versa. That doesn't mean either of you are right or wrong. If the Good Lord has a problem with your morals, my morals or someone elses morals, He'll judge each and every one of us accordingly come our judgement day.
God doesn't believe in moral relativism, you are going to be in for a shock.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#287578 Mar 1, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a question from me to Ink. I couldn't get a straight answer from her and finally asked if she were pleased the majority of abortions happen in the first trimester. Ink answered with a resounding, "No." She is not pleased these abortions happen earlier and earlier (rather than later when fetus is more developed and closer to viability).
Evening "Katie!"

My apologies--I'd thought that question was one that had originated with "Sue." Given the context in which the post I'd responded to; "Sue's" focus on the "assault on the unborn," I'd naturally thought it was something she'd asked.
Clearly I "missed" something.
My bad...:(

As far as your experiences with "Ink" go, try not to be too hard on her--she's a traditionally "conservative" Catholic, and I doubt she'd find abortion "appropriate" except in the most dire of circumstances.
She can't help it.

“GO BLACKHAWKS!!”

Since: Dec 07

Home of Lord Stanley!

#287579 Mar 1, 2013
Corgi lover wrote:
<quoted text>God doesn't believe in moral relativism, you are going to be in for a shock.
Unless the Good Lord came down and personally told you what His views on immorality are, you cannot speak on His behalf. You do *not* know His will nor do you know what He has in store for each and every person come their judgement day.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#287580 Mar 1, 2013
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
I call bullsh*t.
Especially since pro-choice doesn't think the way he "supposedly" did when he was "for" abortion. Supposedly this other woman he got pregnant was 40 years old and her mommy was going to take her for an abortion but she (the other woman)called him the night before and suddenly changed her mind and everything worked out perfectly.....for his family anyway.
Katie

Spanaway, WA

#287581 Mar 1, 2013
AyakaNeo wrote:
<quoted text>Especially since pro-choice doesn't think the way he "supposedly" did when he was "for" abortion. Supposedly this other woman he got pregnant was 40 years old and her mommy was going to take her for an abortion but she (the other woman)called him the night before and suddenly changed her mind and everything worked out perfectly.....for his family anyway.
Gtown's "prior" POVs sound like caricatures, imo. A fundie's stereotypes of the PC position.
Katie

Spanaway, WA

#287582 Mar 1, 2013
John-K wrote:
<quoted text>
Evening "Katie!"
My apologies--I'd thought that question was one that had originated with "Sue." Given the context in which the post I'd responded to; "Sue's" focus on the "assault on the unborn," I'd naturally thought it was something she'd asked.
Clearly I "missed" something.
My bad...:(
As far as your experiences with "Ink" go, try not to be too hard on her--she's a traditionally "conservative" Catholic, and I doubt she'd find abortion "appropriate" except in the most dire of circumstances.
She can't help it.
Sometimes all the conversations here are repeated so often it seems like one long run-on post anyway. Hope you're feeling better, we are over here.
The Prince

Phillipsburg, NJ

#287584 Mar 1, 2013
Long Night Moon 13 wrote:
<quoted text>
When exactly did coroners get the authority to charge people with crimes?
Cute pagan deflection. Ok, the coronor determines the cause of death. In this case, fetal himicide to you pagans. Then the DA brings charges against the individaul responsible for the crime.

Simple, when you aren't playing the bitter pagan word games.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#287585 Mar 1, 2013
Abstinence works when people decide to be abstinent. Not everyone does, and no one has to. History, btw, is full of people preaching abstinence. The problem? It's completely against most peoples' nature. We have a sex drive; it's one of the strongest drives we have. Not to mention that sexual activity is healthy.
Corgi lover wrote:
<quoted text>Abstinence has worked for thousands of years. What stopped them from having sex is we actually had respect for ourselves, we knew it was wrong, we had a father and mother who taught it was wrong. This was going on in society for thousands of years. Yep, thousands of years and now all of a sudden its wrong to teach your kids morals.
The Prince

Phillipsburg, NJ

#287586 Mar 1, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Coroners don't charge anyone with anything. They determine cause of death, if possible. The DA's office brings formal charges.
<quoted text>
I heard one woman say she had her son mutilated by circumcision becasue she hated when she dated uncircumcized guys. She didn;t want any women to see her son with an ugly "tutrleneck" on his penis.

The thought process fo a selfish man hating pagan woman.

Indianapolis

#287587 Mar 1, 2013
Oh, just what we need, more hilljacks pontificating about morality.
Corgi lover wrote:
<quoted text>Most people lived a moral life in the past and present. We had names for girls and guys that messed around. No one wanted to have a reputation . In reality our lives are boring compared to the books you must read. Maybe you need to have your uncle, you know the Deacon, sit you down and tell you about right from wrong and make sure he teaches your son. Many clergy have revisited the thought of the devil coming back and causing problems right before Christ comes back, many clergy think that time is now. Go find a role model for your son, maybe find a detective and seek out the kids dad and start teaching morals to him. If you need any help, seek your uncle, the Deacon or go watch Duck Dynasty and read the book that is written about the Robertson family. We need more role models like them .

Indianapolis

#287588 Mar 1, 2013
No, a coroner would at best determine that death was caused by blunt-force trauma or whatever. He cannot make any determination of charges. The DA brings charges if the facts meet the legal criteria AND if he has a reasonable case.
The Prince wrote:
<quoted text>
Cute pagan deflection. Ok, the coronor determines the cause of death. In this case, fetal himicide to you pagans. Then the DA brings charges against the individaul responsible for the crime.
Simple, when you aren't playing the bitter pagan word games.

Indianapolis

#287589 Mar 1, 2013
Most people circumcize their kids due to religious or traditional reasons.
The Prince wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard one woman say she had her son mutilated by circumcision becasue she hated when she dated uncircumcized guys. She didn;t want any women to see her son with an ugly "tutrleneck" on his penis.
The thought process fo a selfish man hating pagan woman.
Ocean56

AOL

#287590 Mar 2, 2013
Corgi lover wrote:
This is a reason for abstinence. Parents need to teach that pre marital sex is wrong.
Actually, Knutter, I like to say that teen sex is a BAD IDEA, and that teens, especially girls, would be wise to choose the sexFREE (free FROM sex) lifestyle.

Many teens do not realize that being sexFREE is a winning advantage. This is why I think itís important to give teens a list of the freedoms that being sexFREE provides. The top ten winning advantages of being SF (sexFREE) are:

1. Freedom from unwanted teen pregnancy and teen motherhood.

2. Freedom from incurable STDs like Herpes and fatal STDs like AIDS.

3. Freedom to concentrate on school work and participate in school activities.

4. Freedom to get all homework assignments and studying done and maintain or improve grades.

5. Freedom to participate in learning programs for future jobs and careers.

6. Freedom to graduate with classmates and receive a high school diploma.

7. Freedom to move on to college or vocational school with no restrictions.

8. Freedom to complete a college or vocational program with a degree or certificate.

9. Freedom to look for and accept good jobs with higher salaries.

10. Freedom to get valuable job experience in a chosen career and take courses to learn more job skills.

Getting pregnant and becoming a teen mother will, most likely, take away most of these freedoms, if not all of them. A teen mom has to put the care of her baby first, which means putting her education second. If she has to study for an important test and the baby is sick, the studying may not get done because she has to care for the baby. That may result in her doing poorly on the exam instead of doing well. If a teen mom wants to attend her junior or senior prom but has no one to watch the baby for her, she canít go to the dance and has to stay home. If a teen mom is going to college, she may fail one or more classes because caring for her baby or child took priority over completing all her course requirements. A teen mom may even have to drop out of high school or college because she could not take care of her baby and do all her school work at the same time.

By contrast, a teen girl who realizes that being sexFREE (or SF for short) in high school and college is a clear winning advantage will avoid sex with partners during those years. She will keep her freedom to enjoy all the advantages that the SF choice offers. She is free to concentrate in school, get all her class and homework assignments done, attend any dances she wishes, and take part in school activities like working on the school newspaper or yearbook. Best of all, she will graduate with her class and go on to college or vocational school afterward. If she avoids sexual activity with partners during her college or vocational school years, she will continue to enjoy the advantages indefinitely. She may even decide at some point that she prefers the career world over marriage and children, which is a perfectly valid choice. Not all women wish to be wives and mothers.
Ocean56

AOL

#287591 Mar 2, 2013
(Previous post continued)

It is my firm belief that there is nothing good about getting pregnant as a teenager. Teen pregnancy and teen motherhood can impair or even destroy a girlís ability to get a good education, which is the foundation for good employment. If a girl cannot get a good job because she doesnít have a high school diploma, poverty may become inevitable. Sadly, many teen girls donít know how very hard teen motherhood is until it is too late. They donít know because no one ever told them, either at home or at school. It is about time that changed.

The ďjust say noĒ approach to abstinence-only sex education programs is miserably inadequate because it doesnít explain WHY teens, especially girls, should say no to sex. The top ten list of winning advantages is a good informational tool to start off with. When a large majority of teens have this information, they may soon begin to realize that enjoying the advantages of the SF choice is a much better option for them than being trapped by the burdens of teen motherhood.
Ocean56

AOL

#287592 Mar 2, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Abstinence works when people decide to be abstinent. Not everyone does, and no one has to. History, btw, is full of people preaching abstinence. The problem? It's completely against most peoples' nature. We have a sex drive; it's one of the strongest drives we have. Not to mention that sexual activity is healthy.
Agreed, although for teens I think the word "abstinence" should be substituted for a new term; sexFREE (meaning, free FROM sex). Teens who choose to be sexFREE (or SF for short) while in high school and beyond can enjoy the benefits of that choice.:-)
Ocean56

AOL

#287593 Mar 2, 2013
Corgi lover wrote:
Abstinence has worked for thousands of years. What stopped them from having sex is we actually had respect for ourselves, we knew it was wrong, we had a father and mother who taught it was wrong. This was going on in society for thousands of years. Yep, thousands of years and now all of a sudden its wrong to teach your kids morals.
Yeah, Knutter, and this REGRESSIVE approach to teaching teens about sex has been a miserable FAILURE. I think the "just say no," "premarital sex is wrong" B.S. is why too many teen girls are still having sex and ending up pregnant. Rather counterproductive, wouldn't you say?

Preaching to kids, like YOU do, seldom works, in my view. EXPLAINING to teenagers WHY teen sex is a BAD IDEA, and outlining the benefits of being sexFREE (free FROM sex) might very possibly have much BETTER results.
Ocean56

AOL

#287594 Mar 2, 2013
This might help girls see the difference between the two lifestyles of being a free teenager and being a teen mom BEFORE they make the mistake of having sex and possibly ending up pregnant.

If anyone can think of more benefits of lifestyle #1 or negatives of lifestyle #2, please go ahead and add them.

LIFESTYLE #1 - LIFE AS A FREE TEENAGER:
- Keeping up grades, studying, doing homework
- Participating in after-school activities
- Going to school dances and parties
- Relaxing during summer vacation
- Having fun at the junior or senior prom
- Graduating high school and attending after-graduation parties
- Moving on to college or vocational school with no restrictions

LIFSTYLE #2 - LIFE AS A TEEN MOM:
- Missing school, falling behind in classes
- Getting up two or three times at night to feed a baby
- Endless diaper changes, including stinky ones
- Losing friends who don't want to be around crying babies
- Staying home with a crying baby while friends are out having fun
- Missing high school graduation, or even having to drop out of school
- Losing out on the dream job/career originally planned

As a teenager who is happily NOT pregnant, which lifestyle do YOU want? Wouldn't you rather have the first lifestyle instead of the second?

You can keep Lifestyle #1 very easily, just by saying NO to any guy who pressures you to have sex. If your boyfriend says he'll break up with you if you won't have sex with him, don't cave in. Break up with HIM instead.

Keeping your freedom to BE a teenager; there's no better reason to say no.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Realtime 1,224,677
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 4 hr TRD 69,827
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr jimi-yank 53,065
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 20 hr zazz 97,189
Review: Moving Forward Inc (Jul '14) Mon kim k 9
Review: Fashion Wardrobe Stylist (Feb '14) Sun Me too 2
Review: Law Offices Of George Castrataro May 2 SoutheastPBJT 39
More from around the web

Fort Lauderdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]