Palm Beach woman sues Walgreens over ...

Palm Beach woman sues Walgreens over insulting comments on pres...

There are 99 comments on the Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 7, 2006, titled Palm Beach woman sues Walgreens over insulting comments on pres.... In it, Sun-Sentinel reports that:

For years, Janey Karp has battled depression and anxiety with the help of prescription drugs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
wise1

Brunswick, GA

#83 Feb 19, 2008
Some good diffuser lines you can use would be:

1. I understand your frustration let me see why this is happening....

2. I am so very sorry you are not feeling well, here is what I have found out.... here is the best approach to quickly resolving this issue.....

3. I will do my very best to get the answers for you where can I reach you?

if a customer is not satisfied with a little sympathy and compassion and continues to stay irate, simply tell that person in a monotone voice I have done all I can , there is nothing more I can do from this point on, I have provided you with the tools you need to resolve the situation ( contact info etc) I have a job to do, and would appreciate no further abuse concerning this matter.

It is amazing how many times this approach works, they get a guilty feeling later and wind up apologizing for their attitude next time you see them in your store.( if they are decent human beings).
omar

United States

#84 Feb 19, 2008
Sounds like you need to take your medicine daily and not skip
Lisa M

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#85 Feb 25, 2008
Pretty much what they said at southeastflorida.com

This is fun
Same old_same old

Dallas, TX

#86 Mar 1, 2008
I've read this entire thread and none of this is new. I've worked retail for 7+ years now. First with Eckerds, then CVS (after the takeover) and now for Walgreens. And believe me IT'S ALL THE SAME. There will always be the unpleaseable customer or the "do what I ask ASAP" patient. It's the nature of our job. People get sick and they want to be babied. Yes even by the pharmacy staff. You have to develop a thick skin and realize not EVERY customer will be verbally abusive. Smile and let it roll off your back. People need to realize that we are human. Equal in humanity as the customer. I have yet to walk into my Dr. office and hear ANYONE yell at the staff the way they yell at me. But again.. there's nothing you can do but brush it off.
Same old_same old

Dallas, TX

#87 Mar 1, 2008
On the other hand there are times when you'll come across a rude employee. That also happens, not everyone is cut out to work retail. And to the people swearing up and down cust. serv. is better at CVS. I don't think so. Catch a pharmacist on a 14 hour shift w/o lunch or restroom break. I can't even write the words I've heard come out of their mouths. All in all it's the same no matter where you go. If one pharmacy treats you better stick to them. But please just use one. Pharmacy hopping is annoying when it comes to constantly transferring rx back and forth.
April W

Dallas, TX

#88 Mar 1, 2008
Steven Moen wrote:
WalgreenÂ’s pharmacists are consistently very rude. They make you wait too long. They ignore you and they don't care about your questions. I am going to take my $350. A month prescriptions to a high quality pharmacy like Fred Meyer Kroger. A top of the line pharmacy who is trained and actually doesnÂ’t resent the customers who by the way pay the so-called pharmacists wages.
Funny I've never seen your name signed at the bottom of my paycheck....
Reality Check

Orlando, FL

#89 Mar 26, 2008
Amen to same-old. If you were to cause a scene and yell at a physician or their office staff - you would be asked to leave and never come back.

Walgreens does not allow that - every dollar is important... I mean every PATIENT is important...

Just for the knowledge of everybody else out there - walgreens managers are rarely pharmacists. They also do not choose, train, or staff their own pharmacies - the district does. There are usually two or three staff pharmacists and a 'floater' or two. On any given day the manager and pharmacist on duty may have never met! Each of these pharmacists also earns twice the base salary of the store manager and is only required to work 44hrs/week - with overtime paid as well!

One pharmacist I know works a 7on-7off schedule. On his seven days on he picks up an extra shift daily at other stores. On his his seven days off he picks up two shifts at other stores. In a two week period he tends to earn 2 weeks of regular pay and 3 weeks of overtime pay. This averages out to ((2+(3*1.5))/2)= 3.25 times his base pay!This is allowed simply because he is willing to work the shifts!

And all the while, Walgreens trims budgets by staffing fewer technicians and then brags that they made earnings projections by cutting payroll %age...
Reality Check

Orlando, FL

#90 Mar 26, 2008
It was brought to my attention that the pharmacist above does bring home 3.25 times his base pay for a 2 week period - but a better comparison is needed.

If you divide by four to calculate per shift wages, then he averages 1.625 times the regular rate for each hour he works.

Hmmm... at $50 per hour (roughly) he is actually making $81.25. You could add 3 more techs for that extra $30 and get rid of ALL waiting.
Walgreen Employee

Arlington Heights, IL

#91 Jan 27, 2009
Walgreens doesn't offer maternity leave for its employees. You are offered paid short term disability and the compensation depends on how long you've been with the company. You can take up to 90 days off to care for the baby but it's not maternity leave but instead a leave of absence of which, a part of is is paid by short term disability. It's very sad considering we are a health organization.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#92 Jan 31, 2009
well i dont get what the lawsuit is about. the original story wont come up. so whats the deal?
Annie

Scottsmoor, FL

#93 Jun 29, 2009
im a walgreens pharmacy tech and by reading some of these comments i feel like unless ur a tech u just dont get it. those comments are unnecessary but we should be allow to leave comments for other employee to understand the patient and help them better than if they were to find out everything themselves. dont write personal opinion, just facts like "dont call out pt's name or meds", "pt dont want auto refills" the patient wouldnt be upset if they dont have to repeat the same info everytime.
WAG empl

Minneapolis, MN

#95 Oct 22, 2009
I've worked with walgreens for almost 3 years and have worked with pharmacist who are double shifting(their own choice ) w/ no breaks costantly and in these years i have never seen any one of my pharmacist raise their voice at a custumer. i have however seen rude ungreatfull custumers come in and complain about how soposedly we shorted them on controlled rx. WE KEEP EXTREMELY GOOD AND ACCURATE COUNT OF THESE!!!! i also know a few pharmacist's at cvs and other pharms, and when we turn down someone with a phoney rx or who claimes we shorted them when our books are correct and their meds have been double counted by technitians and pharmacist you will be turned down and if you come in claiming to know more than us . if you know more than us and were so bad fill your own damn rx's because chances are that if you pull the same stunt at cvs kroger, snyders they will turn you away as fast or even faster than we did

“http://peopleofw almart.com”

Jacksonville

#96 Oct 23, 2009
People are rude especially those damn New York women. I wish they would all go back where they came from.
latino

Clearwater, FL

#97 Apr 29, 2010
Is interesting to complain about a career that no one understands better than the one who is working in it, The Pharmacists and Techs, we are there to help, to sell you the medications and counsel, not to listen to you personal problems, your money problems, your ass hurting problems. Pay for your meds, ask an important questions and go home, we do not need to listen to your bitching, crying, feel sorry for me, go to a psychologist or your minister and pay them what is worth. Want sympathy go to your church. Medications are like anything else a commodity and you have to pay to get it.
latino

Clearwater, FL

#98 Apr 29, 2010
for the lady, sorry for her, but next time BE NICE TO THE ONE THAT ARE HELPING YOU.. if you do not want to get insulted, do not start bitching. West Palm, obviously she got the money and now she has more. The person who put the comment was dumm and the person who showed to the lady should have be fired and arrested for stupid. If she is a b..do not write, just keep to yourself, next time you see her in the street, well let her have it..
latino

Clearwater, FL

#99 Apr 29, 2010
The complainers are always, NARCOTIC USERS. ALWAYS,,check it out, with expensive cars, jewelry and clothing, comming to pharmacy, so they can feel sorry, for a drug addict. Drug addiction a VOLUNTARY DISEASE. NO ONE PUSH YOU TO GET ADDICTED. you sell to others, your prescription drugs, you give to your own kids, you good for nothing. Keep your dignity, do not come to the pharmacy pretending you are in pain, so we can feel sorry for you and give you pain pills a week early, because you crushed and injected the last refills.
latino

Clearwater, FL

#100 Apr 29, 2010
Reality Check wrote:
It was brought to my attention that the pharmacist above does bring home 3.25 times his base pay for a 2 week period - but a better comparison is needed.
If you divide by four to calculate per shift wages, then he averages 1.625 times the regular rate for each hour he works.
Hmmm... at $50 per hour (roughly) he is actually making $81.25. You could add 3 more techs for that extra $30 and get rid of ALL waiting.
yes that is true, less pharmacists and more techs that is what they need, pharmacists do not do the job and do not want to do it anyway..

Location hidden

#101 May 5, 2010
my fave is when you ask for an id and they are in the drive thru DRIVING a car and they send in a state issued ID that says in it "NOT A DRIVERS LICENSE"!
i just want to call the police and give them a heads up.
and those are always the rudest people on earth.
FL guest

United States

#102 May 12, 2010
Walgreens security alarms at the doors always sets off alarms on most State ID cards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min sonicfilter 1,498,823
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 7 min Into The Night 8,024
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 63,409
News Hialeah one of nation's least diverse cities, s... 5 hr xxx 6
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 hr silly rabbit 313,393
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 14 hr TRD 71,401
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Sun zazz 98,349

Fort Lauderdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Lauderdale Mortgages