FAA approves runway expansion at Fort...

FAA approves runway expansion at Fort Lauderdale airport

There are 58 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Dec 19, 2008, titled FAA approves runway expansion at Fort Lauderdale airport. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Construction of a second major runway at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport was approved by federal aviation officials Friday, who rejected arguments that the plans were too expensive and too ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chris

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#1 Dec 19, 2008
Well the selfish people who live under the lengthened runway are going to throw a fit. Big deal. I guess they shouldn't have bought a house near an airport. I can't tell you how sorry I feel for them.

Since: Jan 07

Coconut Grove

#2 Dec 19, 2008
we DO NOT NEED MORE PEOPLE/aircrafts/traffic/devel opment etc in South Florida

without new runway, airport delays MIGHT increase from 6 to 20 minutes in 12 YEARS!!! Gee whiz , we better start building it today......
B767 Captain

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Dec 19, 2008
Why would I take off on an uphill, 8000 ft runway (the proposed runway 9R) with a 40ft drop off at the far end when a level, 9000 ft (the current runway 9L) is clearly the safer alternative?

Regardless of the safety issues, engine out performance criteria will limit most transport category aircraft near gross weight limits to the present north runway for takeoff.

What Tax Cut

Spartanburg, SC

#5 Dec 19, 2008
Why don't the airlines fly larger aircraft? There was a time when there were a lot of widebodies flying in and out of FLL. Not anymore.
linda

Hollywood, FL

#6 Dec 19, 2008
Have you given a statement to the FAA and the Broward Co. Commission regarding this safety issue?
Clearly, this is a disaster waiting to happen.
Having over 40 yrs in commercial aviation @ JFK, MIA & FTL, there is no way a runway expansion of any kind is necessary @ FTL.
What a financial boondoggle this is.
Wait...the take off & landing fees will rise to fund this and then the low cost air lines will leave & ticket prices will sky rocket.
Obviously, the "decision-makers" are
NOT Business people...what a joke!
B767 Captain wrote:
Why would I take off on an uphill, 8000 ft runway
(the proposed runway 9R) with a 40ft drop off at the far end when a level, 9000 ft (the current runway 9L) is clearly the safer alternative?
Regardless of the safety issues, engine out performance criteria will limit most transport category aircraft near gross weight limits to the present north runway for takeoff.
B767 Captain

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Dec 19, 2008
linda wrote:
Have you given a statement to the FAA and the Broward Co. Commission regarding this safety issue?
Clearly, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

<quoted text>
Yes. To both.

The NTSB will be next.
Steve

United States

#8 Dec 19, 2008
The commissioners and developers are coming after PBIA next!!!

Since: Oct 08

hollywood, fl

#9 Dec 20, 2008
Chris wrote:
Well the selfish people who live under the lengthened runway ... shouldn't have bought a house near an airport.
Most of those affected didn't. This area is already too crowded, the traffic too congested, and the sonic booms too frequent to justify the southeast extension. That it is the less safe solution doesn't bother the bureaucrats and hotel people who are pushing the billion-dollar project. Demographic projections show that the area will need another airport along the western edge of the FTL/WPB strip, and now is the perfect time to develop it.
stopthat

Redmond, WA

#10 Dec 20, 2008
All these billions of taxpayer and traveler dollars --- not to leave out residents driven from their homes --- to correct an easily corrected scheduling problem. However, why do we continue to vote the same yahoos back in??? Hello!!!

“Beyond all comprehension”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon

#11 Dec 20, 2008
B767 Captain wrote:
Why would I take off on an uphill, 8000 ft runway (the proposed runway 9R) with a 40ft drop off at the far end when a level, 9000 ft (the current runway 9L) is clearly the safer alternative?
Could be worse , like Courchevel .

I think they're just trying to balance the RJ traffic to 9R /27L .
Boeing SSBJ cpt

Austin, TX

#12 Dec 20, 2008
1201SLD wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of those affected didn't. This area is already too crowded, the traffic too congested, and the sonic booms too frequent to justify the southeast extension.
Sonic Booms? The Concorde is flying again?
DAS

Lake Worth, FL

#13 Dec 20, 2008
Just make 595 a Runway
Gadfly

Hialeah, FL

#14 Dec 20, 2008
Why keep expanding an already over crowed airport in a densely populated area? Why not develop a new, safer airport somewhere in west Broward where the most signifigant population growth is occuring?
Flagrante Delicto

AOL

#15 Dec 20, 2008
How can these assclowns not listen to the constiuents that they represent. We do not want another MIA in our fair city. There is no infratructure to support such an expansion.

These assclowns in the Commish are corrupt, plane and simple.
Tim

San Jose, CA

#16 Dec 20, 2008
Projections claim 26 minute delays??? NOT!!!

Last time I looked, Peak oil is still here. That recent price spike to $147 was just a first taste. It hit the economy hard. It's still their, waiting for the world economy to recover and then we'll it the ceiling again.

Next we've got new airline fees all over the place (luggage, drinks, etc), wacked out FF programs, nutso TSA, then add 30+ years of extra fees paying off this boondoggle. Thanks but no thanks, I'll take tri-rail to Miami or WPB, when and if I have to fly again.

Lastly, this economy is headed into a great depression. Obama's recent cabinet choices are nightmares (HS, labor, trade). I don't see how they are going to undo the NEOCON damage by continuing/expanding programs which undermine wages of US citizens.

"say bye, bye miss american pie".
Flagrante Delicto

AOL

#17 Dec 20, 2008
NATIVE wrote:
we DO NOT NEED MORE PEOPLE/aircrafts/traffic/devel opment etc in South Florida
without new runway, airport delays MIGHT increase from 6 to 20 minutes in 12 YEARS!!! Gee whiz , we better start building it today......
More times than not, 12-20 minute delays are the norm on any day. Heck, 15 minutes is considered on-time by the airline industry. NO EXPANSION NEEDED.
LarryO in Coconut Creek

Pompano Beach, FL

#18 Dec 20, 2008
Charter Members of the "I Don't Get It" Club. Planes today are much quieter than 20 years ago. All your arguments are old. How about a tax increase? No, don't want that either, so let the county get money in other ways like operating the airport.
jonny o

Hollywood, FL

#19 Dec 20, 2008
we do need the runway as south florida grows,we need it for our economy as it bring visitors and freight in and out.It will not impact your lives in any negative manner.If you dont like it move to Malabar.
DEFENDER

New Orleans, LA

#21 Dec 20, 2008
Look: You'll never stop it, so why burn your time and energy trying to.
Just make plans to relocate and shoot for the most cash you can get for your homes and do it first when their willing to spend the cash to get you out!
Pago Pago Trojan

Toledo, OH

#22 Dec 20, 2008
DEFENDER wrote:
Look: You'll never stop it, so why burn your time and energy trying to.
Just make plans to relocate and shoot for the most cash you can get for your homes and do it first when their willing to spend the cash to get you out!
I think you're right. The runway expansion will happen. Oh, the aclu will slow it down so they'll have millions in cost overruns..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Earl 1,658,895
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 8 min Choicerocks 322,235
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 10 hr bbyrd009 72,045
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 hr doG mnaDed lyHo i... 64,310
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 19 hr zazz 98,617
Looking for a pure boy Shih Tzu to breed with m... (May '12) Thu Stefanie 26
I need help Wed Bummed 1

Fort Lauderdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Lauderdale Mortgages