Broward County: Salvation Army needs furniture donations

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Salvation Army Family Store is asking anyone with unwanted holiday gifts, household items, used clothing and any other items to donate them to benefit a men's program, said Terri Lynn, a spokeswoman for the ...
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Dec 2, 2012
Terence

Miami, FL

#1 Jan 21, 2008
This article is so very funny in a not so funny way. I am actually very upset with reading this story. One year ago, i moved into a new home and with my new home purchase came new furniture purchases. I tried contacting the red cross, salvation army etc to donate my old furniture and to my surprise i was rejected. The red cross in particular told me that they were not accepting furniture because they would not be able to pick it up. i volunteered to get the living room, 2 bedroom sets and dining room set to them at my expense and still was rejected. i could not believe it. Long story short, i trucked the items to the broward county dump and discarded all the items i couldn't give away. I thought this was a disgrace and thus would never give anything to these organisations again. I would rather give money to the people in need directly than hand over a item of furniture or a dime to people such as red cross.
Monica

Ithaca, NY

#2 Aug 10, 2009
Terence, had the same experience here in New York. It wouldn't be so upsetting if we inherited junk. We just wanted someone to enjoy good furniture, etc.
Goldstarvw

Palm Harbor, FL

#3 Sep 4, 2009
It is hard to believe that some of these national not for profits don't want your stuff, but sometimes there are good reasons and sometimes they just have too much. Did you try any churches in your area or other smaller not for profits? I am not a volunteer or a staff member for the Red Cross, but please reconsider supporting them as they supply so much help to people in need- they are there for the hurricanes (FL), Sept 11 (NY), storms, fires, and even simple things like blood donation that may save a life of you or one of your loved ones. There are many other small not for profits that do the same things in our communities right under our noses but we don't know it because they don't have the nationally recognized name. Funny how we will take, but when giving takes just a little time we throw our hands up. Good luck.
rho9

United States

#4 Sep 19, 2009
the salvation army is my favorite. after donating my deceased parents belongings they called me the next day to report my fathers gold wedding band fell out of the recliner we had given them. two days later we received that wedding band in the mail..thanks again to the Salvation Army
Donor

Pompano Beach, FL

#6 Oct 1, 2009
Correction:

Do not let a pebble deviate you from your path to donation.
DINNEY DINOFER

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Dec 2, 2012
I HAVE A WONDERFUL LARGE WALL AND ENTERTAINMENT UNIT
AND MODERN BED STRUCTURE WITH HEAD BOARD WITH DRAWS IN IT FOR PILLOWS OR CONFORTERS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION. PAID A LOT WHEN I HAD IT BUILT A SHAME TO LET IT GO TO WASTE. NEEDS TO BE PICKED UP DEC. 4th.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min No Surprize 1,101,620
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) 1 hr AWAKE 2,125
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 46,382
Look Who Got Bust.com: Remove Mug Shot From Google (Jun '11) 2 hr Rob 12
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr JOEL 69,092
Florida ranks third in the nation for hate grou... (Feb '09) 3 hr groovygroovy 362
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 3 hr TRD 68,399
•••
•••
•••

Fort Lauderdale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fort Lauderdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••