Report: Toddler found dead in Sunrise...

Report: Toddler found dead in Sunrise house fire

There are 106 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Mar 13, 2009, titled Report: Toddler found dead in Sunrise house fire. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Firefighters who put out a house fire have found the body of a toddler inside, according to TV reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Truth be Told

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#87 Mar 16, 2009
So...the truth...Three SFRD firefighters went inside WITHOUT air packs on and only one rope to keep them together, to look for Aidan. They didn't wait for an engine ar anyone else. They risked their lives. The flames were already through the roof and shooting out the side window of the garage...the fire had been going for some time before Aidan's mom called 911. The firefighters would have never been able to locate Aidan inside the house or just inside the garage...he was at the foot of the garage door and there was too much stuff in the garage for anyone to get through or to be able to to even see that poor, small child. It wasn't until the fire dept used a saw to cut open the garage door and found Aidan laying there. He was not burned up, but he was not alive either. I know all this because I was there watching everything unfold. Please do not blame the fire dept...they did not just "stand around". The house was already up in flames before Aidan's mom called 911. The only time you hear about fires in Sunrise is when they are really bad. What about all the fires in Sunrise that the firefighters put out that you haven't heard about ?? I have a friend too who had a fire in her apartment last week due to a microwave. The fireghters saved her apartment and the kitchen was the only area ruined. How come that wasn't in the newspaper or on the news. You need to stop bashing fire departments for a house burning down...their job is to try and save it and save lives. That young man 'Evan" (or whatever his name is) seems very bitter and seems pretty scary to me. Tempers like his tend to go overboard and can be very dangerous to those around him. Whatever it is he has against the Sunrise fire dept, I hope that he seeks counseling about it. May God bless Aidan, his family, all the firefighters involved, and all those affected as deeply as I am about this tragedy.
The truth is

West Palm Beach, FL

#88 Mar 16, 2009
Thank you for your on scene report. They did go in WITH airpacks on, I know some of the guys that were on that call. I think that over all Sunrise is one of the best fire dept in Broward. I have a lot of friends that work there, but they have the same problems that the rest of us do as I mentioned before.
Truth be Told

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#89 Mar 16, 2009
Ugh..I am sorry, you were absolutely right....they did have airpacks. I meant to say that they didn't have a hose line (just like the article stated). Yes, I live in Sunrise and I think my taxpayer money is definitely being put to good use and I like my local fire department.
John

AOL

#90 Mar 16, 2009
The truth is wrote:
John and freedom fighter, if you want to know what the problem is with the fire service today then listen up. The fire service today is NOTHING like it was 15-20 years ago. The BIGGEST problem that we have today is that SOPs, TSOGs, and SOGs, have been changed to meet the "talent" that we employ today. I'm going to **** off a lot of people now but I don't give a damn. The downfall of the fire service as we know it today is a DIRECT result of affirmative action and the hiring of women. 95% of women working in the fire service are 100% SCARED TO DEATH of fire. The are coddled by the weak or the Engine officers who think they are Rico Swave(sound like someone you know in Sunrise) and are left to dictate ridiculous changes in the way things are done. John, the reason that the ff's were waiting for another truck to enter was the 2in2out rule, which is VERY loosely followed. What probably happened was that there was a female ff pissing her pants because she actually had to do her job and the Engine officer couldn't get her to go in(sound like someone you know at Sunrise). I have had to grab COUNTLESS women by their airpack straps kicking and screaming into fires in the 15 years I've been on the job. Only a very small number of them can do the job, and those that can do it just as good or better than most men, without a doubt!
The second biggest problem is the number of BLACKS who think that EVERY WHITE PERSON owes them something. They drop the "race card" when they don't study hard enough to pass a test(sound like someone you know West Palm Beach) and then the cities\counties lay down and let them get their way because they are afraid of lawsuits. WEST PALM BEACH blacks are suing right now because the Captain's test was written in a way that only white people think. What? The way WHITE PEOPLE think? What does that mean? Maybe the questions should be like this: An Engine pulls up to a single family residence with heavy smoke showing-what should you do:
A: pull an attack line, make entry and find the seat of the fire then commence attack.
B: Make entry, rob the house of all valuables and let it burn down.
These problems sound ridiculous but are what is happening right now. If you want to blame someone then blame the liberals who have made the fire service a bunch of hand-holding, scared of blacks pussies.
What you say does have some merit. But I think the bigger problem is Sunrise itslf as a government entity. Every branch seems to be screwed up. FF's who won't go in until there's more than one truck. You have the police department that has always been a lousy place to work and as a result, experience a high turnover rate which results in fewer and fewer officers with enough experience. They actually need to get permission from a sergeant before making a misdemeanor arrest. You have their building department that is so bad, many contractors refuse to take the job when they hear it's in Sunrise.

This leadership (or lack of) starts at the Mayor and works it way down. Sunrise Lakes used to rule the way the whole city operated but their influence is waning.
Fire Eater

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#91 Mar 18, 2009
The truth is wrote:
John and freedom fighter, if you want to know what the problem is with the fire service today then listen up. The fire service today is NOTHING like it was 15-20 years ago. The BIGGEST problem that we have today is that SOPs, TSOGs, and SOGs, have been changed to meet the "talent" that we employ today. I'm going to **** off a lot of people now but I don't give a damn. The downfall of the fire service as we know it today is a DIRECT result of affirmative action and the hiring of women. 95% of women working in the fire service are 100% SCARED TO DEATH of fire. The are coddled by the weak or the Engine officers who think they are Rico Swave(sound like someone you know in Sunrise) and are left to dictate ridiculous changes in the way things are done. John, the reason that the ff's were waiting for another truck to enter was the 2in2out rule, which is VERY loosely followed. What probably happened was that there was a female ff pissing her pants because she actually had to do her job and the Engine officer couldn't get her to go in(sound like someone you know at Sunrise). I have had to grab COUNTLESS women by their airpack straps kicking and screaming into fires in the 15 years I've been on the job. Only a very small number of them can do the job, and those that can do it just as good or better than most men, without a doubt!
The second biggest problem is the number of BLACKS who think that EVERY WHITE PERSON owes them something. They drop the "race card" when they don't study hard enough to pass a test(sound like someone you know West Palm Beach) and then the cities\counties lay down and let them get their way because they are afraid of lawsuits. WEST PALM BEACH blacks are suing right now because the Captain's test was written in a way that only white people think. What? The way WHITE PEOPLE think? What does that mean? Maybe the questions should be like this: An Engine pulls up to a single family residence with heavy smoke showing-what should you do:
A: pull an attack line, make entry and find the seat of the fire then commence attack.
B: Make entry, rob the house of all valuables and let it burn down.
These problems sound ridiculous but are what is happening right now. If you want to blame someone then blame the liberals who have made the fire service a bunch of hand-holding, scared of blacks pussies.
You are an idiot! Gotta blame the women and the blacks for the lack of the SRFD. Always blaming someone else...why not the minorities? Yes, I am sure that there MUST have been a woman or a black firefighter at that fire and THAT is why Aidan died. Maybe the houses in sunrise burn down for lack of training or because of the way the department is run. Maybe it isn't the firefighters that are the problem but maybe guys like YOU who train or don't train the firefighters properly. I really hate people that always try to point the figure and never look at themselves. You heard the phrase.."people in glass houses.." right?? Maybe you have something to do with it Mr Perfect Firefighter.
The truth is

West Palm Beach, FL

#92 Mar 19, 2009
Fire Eater wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot! Gotta blame the women and the blacks for the lack of the SRFD. Always blaming someone else...why not the minorities? Yes, I am sure that there MUST have been a woman or a black firefighter at that fire and THAT is why Aidan died. Maybe the houses in sunrise burn down for lack of training or because of the way the department is run. Maybe it isn't the firefighters that are the problem but maybe guys like YOU who train or don't train the firefighters properly. I really hate people that always try to point the figure and never look at themselves. You heard the phrase.."people in glass houses.." right?? Maybe you have something to do with it Mr Perfect Firefighter.
Oh I'm sorry, you must fit into one of the categories I listed. I have trained firefighters for a long time and am one of those instructors that people on the job respect, only I can't talk about these issues because instead of being called a realist, I'll be called a racist or sexist and I'll get fired. That is the reality of the politically correct, everyone is a winner B.S. world we live in. If you went to BFA I may have even trained you! I'll agree that there are dumb whites who apply but it is easy to get rid of them because they have no race or sex card to throw down. Sometimes a few sneak by but they are usually busted by the crews that they end up working with. Unfortunately the "kinder gentler" fire service we work in today makes it harder to fire these retards, but it makes it near impossible to fire the women and blacks who are equally as dumb, if not worse. I've written a book about it that is already on schedule to be published the week after I retire, you should read it. It is defiantly going to open up a huge can of worms and bring these issues to the public. Hell, maybe your in it.
DISGUST

Loxahatchee, FL

#93 Mar 19, 2009
The truth is wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I'm sorry, you must fit into one of the categories I listed. I have trained firefighters for a long time and am one of those instructors that people on the job respect, only I can't talk about these issues because instead of being called a realist, I'll be called a racist or sexist and I'll get fired. That is the reality of the politically correct, everyone is a winner B.S. world we live in. If you went to BFA I may have even trained you! I'll agree that there are dumb whites who apply but it is easy to get rid of them because they have no race or sex card to throw down. Sometimes a few sneak by but they are usually busted by the crews that they end up working with. Unfortunately the "kinder gentler" fire service we work in today makes it harder to fire these retards, but it makes it near impossible to fire the women and blacks who are equally as dumb, if not worse. I've written a book about it that is already on schedule to be published the week after I retire, you should read it. It is defiantly going to open up a huge can of worms and bring these issues to the public. Hell, maybe your in it.
You are a disgrace to firefighters. And you are a racist and should be fired. Put your real name and firestation out here so they all know who you really are you coward.
The truth is

West Palm Beach, FL

#94 Mar 19, 2009
DISGUST wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a disgrace to firefighters. And you are a racist and should be fired. Put your real name and firestation out here so they all know who you really are you coward.
Racist, no realist yes. Don't worry about my name and what dept I work for, when my book comes out you'll know. Hell, you may have even seen me on the news a few years ago when I spoke out about how swim tests have been taken off hiring and now even fire academy entrance exams. Thank the ACLU and NAACP when you drive into a canal and the firefighters who can't swim stand on the bank waiting for Special Ops because swim portions of entrance exams are unfair to blacks. Are you going to call me a racist then or are you going to wish people told the ACLU and NAACP to screw off? You know, because there is a canal or lake next to every other road in S.Fla. If you really worked for the fire dept you would know what I'm talking about.
Justifiably Bellicose

Atlanta, GA

#95 Mar 19, 2009
Kristen wrote:
This is right down the street from me. I'm going to cry now.
If it were two towns away, would you not cry?

What does the proximity have to do with a damned thing?
Justifiably Bellicose

Atlanta, GA

#96 Mar 19, 2009
The truth is wrote:
<quoted text>
Racist, no realist yes. Don't worry about my name and what dept I work for, when my book comes out you'll know. Hell, you may have even seen me on the news a few years ago when I spoke out about how swim tests have been taken off hiring and now even fire academy entrance exams. Thank the ACLU and NAACP when you drive into a canal and the firefighters who can't swim stand on the bank waiting for Special Ops because swim portions of entrance exams are unfair to blacks. Are you going to call me a racist then or are you going to wish people told the ACLU and NAACP to screw off? You know, because there is a canal or lake next to every other road in S.Fla. If you really worked for the fire dept you would know what I'm talking about.
Wow, man. Thank you for an eye-opening post.

I've long known that hiring standards for civil service jobs have gone lower and lower so that dumb and incompetent and unfit blacks and other minorities could make it in, but I didn't know about this swim thing.

I hope you do have a book coming out about this. I'd read it!
DISGUST

Loxahatchee, FL

#97 Mar 20, 2009
The truth is wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, a racist and a coward.
The truth is

West Palm Beach, FL

#98 Mar 20, 2009
DISGUST wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, a racist and a coward.
It is apparent that you are unable to see the real truths in life. Maybe you should move to California with the rest of the hand holders where you can bend the truth so it dosen't hurt som much.
our children

New Orleans, LA

#99 Mar 28, 2009
We all feel we lost a child when they are taken away by strangers, sickness,shot, hit by a car, fires, and so forth.The moment we hear and see it on the news. We stop we fear we care and hurt. Always everyday every second a child goes away. Life was not supposed to be this way. We need our children with us.
To all of those who have lost a child rest assure that they live for ever amongst you. I just wish we knew how we could of saved them all.
My heart and Prayers are with the ones who has ever had this pain. I'm so sorry...
joey

New Orleans, LA

#100 Jun 7, 2009
rip baby aiden he lives right next door to me
shane

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#101 Jul 14, 2009
im his father.yall feel sorry all u want for her.i dont and never will.when all yall see she is guilty.go choke urselfs.she has no sorrow or nothing for what happened to aidan.what about me and my daughrer how we feel?she is a evil cold hearted little bitch.u better rethink how yall feel.and if she reads this i hope u rot in hell poor excuse for a mother.
shane

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#102 Jul 14, 2009
Truth be Told wrote:
So...the truth...Three SFRD firefighters went inside WITHOUT air packs on and only one rope to keep them together, to look for Aidan. They didn't wait for an engine ar anyone else. They risked their lives. The flames were already through the roof and shooting out the side window of the garage...the fire had been going for some time before Aidan's mom called 911. The firefighters would have never been able to locate Aidan inside the house or just inside the garage...he was at the foot of the garage door and there was too much stuff in the garage for anyone to get through or to be able to to even see that poor, small child. It wasn't until the fire dept used a saw to cut open the garage door and found Aidan laying there. He was not burned up, but he was not alive either. I know all this because I was there watching everything unfold. Please do not blame the fire dept...they did not just "stand around". The house was already up in flames before Aidan's mom called 911. The only time you hear about fires in Sunrise is when they are really bad. What about all the fires in Sunrise that the firefighters put out that you haven't heard about ?? I have a friend too who had a fire in her apartment last week due to a microwave. The fireghters saved her apartment and the kitchen was the only area ruined. How come that wasn't in the newspaper or on the news. You need to stop bashing fire departments for a house burning down...their job is to try and save it and save lives. That young man 'Evan" (or whatever his name is) seems very bitter and seems pretty scary to me. Tempers like his tend to go overboard and can be very dangerous to those around him. Whatever it is he has against the Sunrise fire dept, I hope that he seeks counseling about it. May God bless Aidan, his family, all the firefighters involved, and all those affected as deeply as I am about this tragedy.
im his father ok.i dont blame the fire dept.one bit.yall tried ur best.it was her who did it whether all yall folls believe it or not.but,she will get hers in the end.remember god dont like ugly.autumn u messed up bad and im took all that shit u were talking about the fire to me to the dectives.oh yeah and jus to let u know our convo was recorded.lol.i told u i will not rest until u pay for what u did.i ment every word i said to.rot in hell lil girl
shane

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#103 Jul 14, 2009
joey wrote:
rip baby aiden he lives right next door to me
man how r yall doing?
shane

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#104 Jul 14, 2009
anonymous wrote:
for people who know the mother this isnt a suprise. we are all waiting for the autopsy reports, and arson investigators to release their evidence. i know i would never leave my child in a garage unattended. this whole thing is fishy and i know that something is not right with this story. RIP Aiden... we love you baby boy
then u know who i am.and u already kno how i feel about it.
shane

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#105 Jul 14, 2009
Joey wrote:
It's hearbreaking. But until the cause of the fire and further details are known, bashing the mother is so wrong.
is it now?
shane

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#106 Jul 14, 2009
CErin wrote:
Officers(My BF is Sunrise PD) that arrived on sceen said they heard the boy screaming in the garage! How sad is this..as a Mom I could not even imagine...I would be running back in no matter what happened to me to save my child! Oh and the Channel 6 Reporter is a jerk! He tried tricking family into talking on phone with him by pretending he was part of PD..I want to know who that was! Said day NBC 6!!!
im the boys father.think about how i felt.there was nothing i could do to help him and the police wouldnt let me down to the house.probably the best thing for autumn.cause i wouldve hurt her that day.but,now im leaving it in gods hands.he will make her suffer

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min OzRitz 1,484,423
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 18 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 62,986
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 hr ThomasA 313,233
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) Sun TRD 71,320
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) Sun zazz 98,316
Annika Dean Mormon Crisis Actress Jan 19 Joseph Smithy 1
News Multiple people shot, at least 3 dead at Fort L... Jan 19 Robbie Parker 2

Fort Lauderdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Lauderdale Mortgages