Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 58790 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“EnvironMENTAList ”

Since: Feb 07

Near Detroit

#30889 Jun 21, 2012
How could thousands of scientists crying “It is real and happening” with thousands of unique views on “effects” be anything close to consensus of certain death by CO2 for my kids? No way!

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#30890 Jun 21, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, at around $8 trillion in annual revenue, the energy industry is definitely larger than the arms industry. More subsidized? Hard to say, but it's also very hard to separate the two. For example, the US Navy is the world's largest arms consumer as well as the world's largest oil consumer, and its de facto mission is to police the world's oil fields and oil transport lanes, serving oil-patch US garrisons and US clients--the latter of which are also our largest arms customers. It's the circle of life.
Ever visited the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor? Notice the oil bubbling from the bottom? Remember why the Japanese attacked Pearl (immediately after the US embargoed oil exports to Japan)? Hard to see where the arms industry ended and the oil industry began even back then.
Remember why Hitler risked everything for a reckless drive to the Caspian, and lost? What industry now runs Russia (and a dozen other major nations)? Hint: it ain't solar.
Of course it isn't solar. Solar isn't profitable without government subsities.

As for what touched off the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. It was steel and not oil. There were closer sources of Oil than the US at the time. What the Japanese were getting from the US was scrap steel. Shiploads of scrap metal. Yes I have seen the oil bubbling out of the wreck of the USS Arizona Memorial

Of course what you need is a way to blame oil for everything. The purpose of the US Navy is to protect the Sea Ways for shipping and that is far more things than oil. Yes, one of the millions of things shipped is oil yet it isn't the only thing shipped. Food is shipped around the world as well. Hitler wasn't only going after oil in his drive to Russia. You do not make tanks and guns out of oil. You make them out of steel. Not to mention the old saying about an army travels on it's stomach. Plenty of grains raised in the area.

What you are doing is trying to modify history so you can blame it on your favorite villian, Big Oil. Then again you pin everything on Big Oil.

Norfolk va

#30891 Jun 21, 2012
fishaholic wrote:
Prime example of how "tolerant" the AGW religion is. Primary rule is if you don't share the same belief, you don't need to work here. Hope OSU has enough to hire some good lawyers. They're gonna need 'em.
Professor fired after expressing climate change skepticism
"We can only speculate as to how the decision to fire Drapela was made,” Fulks wrote, adding,“I would suspect that Dr. Phil Mote (Director of their Climate Change Research Institute) had a hand in the decision, because he has previously been highly intolerant of those who oppose his ideas and could potentially threaten his business empire.”
http://dailycaller.com/2012/06/20/professor-f...
Go ahead and do the Coed across the desk but don't doubt their religion.
PHD

Houston, TX

#30892 Jun 21, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it isn't solar. Solar isn't profitable without government subsities.
As for what touched off the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. It was steel and not oil. There were closer sources of Oil than the US at the time. What the Japanese were getting from the US was scrap steel. Shiploads of scrap metal. Yes I have seen the oil bubbling out of the wreck of the USS Arizona Memorial
Of course what you need is a way to blame oil for everything. The purpose of the US Navy is to protect the Sea Ways for shipping and that is far more things than oil. Yes, one of the millions of things shipped is oil yet it isn't the only thing shipped. Food is shipped around the world as well. Hitler wasn't only going after oil in his drive to Russia. You do not make tanks and guns out of oil. You make them out of steel. Not to mention the old saying about an army travels on it's stomach. Plenty of grains raised in the area.
What you are doing is trying to modify history so you can blame it on your favorite villian, Big Oil. Then again you pin everything on Big Oil.
June 1941 through the end of July 1941. Japan occupied southern Indochina. Two days later, the U.S., Britain, and the Netherlands froze Japanese assets. This prevented Japan from buying oil, which would, in time, cripple its army and make its navy and air force completely useless.
Your the same less thaen box of rocks. Don't you know anyhting? See you are a child of the one left behind program.Actually the big villian is coal. SEE WINF=D MILLS RULKE AGAIN!!!!

Norfolk va

#30893 Jun 21, 2012
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>
June 1941 through the end of July 1941. Japan occupied southern Indochina. Two days later, the U.S., Britain, and the Netherlands froze Japanese assets. This prevented Japan from buying oil, which would, in time, cripple its army and make its navy and air force completely useless.
Your the same less thaen box of rocks. Don't you know anyhting? See you are a child of the one left behind program.Actually the big villian is coal. SEE WINF=D MILLS RULKE AGAIN!!!!
Yes, and what was Japan buying from the US, steel. Steel to make the guns, ship, aircraft engines and all the rest. Like I said beforem you do not make a gun out of oil, you make it out of steel. Just as important a resource that was removed from trade with Japan was rubber. Without rubber, all the oil in the world would of not done the japanese any good. Rubber for tires, hoses, and a host of other things needed. During the war the US actually had oil shortages and was importing oil and rubber.

I see someone failed to educate you on history. Which is a shame. If you had the education you would of realized that solar and wind are doomed for failure.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#30894 Jun 21, 2012
PHDumbo wrote:
Your[sic] the same[comma] less thaen[sic][a] box of rocks. Don't you know anyhting[sic]?
SEE WINF=D[sic] MILLS RULKE[sic] AGAIN!!!!
Whatever it is you're taking, I suggest you consult an emergency vet, quickly.
I Am DIGITAP

Los Angeles, CA

#30895 Jun 21, 2012
mememine69 wrote:
<quoted text>They control the weather now? Do you dance at the moon and sacrifice squirrels to please the angry weather gods too? Evil corporations are changing the weather now. Too funny!
If you think that's funny you should see how many of them caught H.I.V. and died when their church started calling

MEDICAL SCIENCE

a bunch of DENIERS

and they S.T.I.L.L.- 40 M.I.L.L.I.O.N. DEAD LATER

take ZERO responsibility for the cherch of whoring's

death toll.
Northie

United States

#30896 Jun 21, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and what was Japan buying from the US, steel. Steel to make the guns, ship, aircraft engines and all the rest. Like I said beforem you do not make a gun out of oil, you make it out of steel. Just as important a resource that was removed from trade with Japan was rubber. Without rubber, all the oil in the world would of not done the japanese any good. Rubber for tires, hoses, and a host of other things needed. During the war the US actually had oil shortages and was importing oil and rubber.
I see someone failed to educate you on history. Which is a shame. If you had the education you would of realized that solar and wind are doomed for failure.
Your reading of history is as deficient as your reading of science. Roosevelt embargoed industrial goods to Japan in an escalating series of steps beginning in 1939 when the 1911 Commercial Treaty was cancelled, rising in July 1940 with the Export Control Act, which cut off steel, aviation gasoline and lubricating oils. But crude oil exports to Japan were not cut off until July 26, 1941, because the Administration correctly assumed that would precipitate war, which it did, as oil was by far the most important commodity to the Japanese. http://www.independent.org/newsroom/article.a...

Similarly, Hitler's drive across Russia had two primary goals, both oil-related: access to Russia's Caspian Sea oil fields and protection of Romania's Ploesti oil works; the latter were Germany's primary oil source from 1940 onward, and were vulnerable to Russian attack. Steel was already secured, both from within the Reich and from Sweden.
I Am DIGITAP

Los Angeles, CA

#30897 Jun 21, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
YAYUh BUT.. I GOT Uh LINK I ruhMIMBER NOW I ruHMIMBER!
It's too late to try lying backward in time enjoying acting Greek. Rhetoric as a lifestyle rubbed the Greeks out and launched the dark ages.

You've far too little time consuming the libraries of the world and far too much belief in MAGICAL TREEMOMITURS to be able to hold your own on the internet.
I Am DIGITAP

Los Angeles, CA

#30898 Jun 21, 2012
B.E.C.A.U.S.E:
*W*H*Y**K*I*D*S?*

BECAWS YEW CAINT JUS' LIE & LIE FER EVUR: SOMEBODY'LL TAKE YEW UP ON THAT BULL$H!+ YOU TRY TO SPIN.

Civilization called you on yours.

WHY DON'T YOU or ANYONE at YOUR CHURCH RECOGNIZE that a TREE can not be a M.A.G.I.C.
T.R.E.E.M.O.M.I.T.U.R.?

WHY?

WHY DON'T YOU or ANYONE YOU ASSOCIATE with
ACKNOWLEDGE THE FACT Dr.s MANN, JONES, BRIFFA'S

F.A.K.E. MATH
is JUST THAT - USELESS AMATEURISH SCRAWLS DESIGNED ad HONED for F.R.A.U.D.?

WHY?

BECAWS YEW HAV BIN CAWT BY DARWINS DAWG WICH DONT KAIR WAT -
YEW WILL NO DARWINS DAWG DONT KAIR NOW.

That's civilization's answer to you, you professional ignoratti and amateur rhetorician. You've the intellectual gravity of a CHILD FROM the WOODS who NEVER got TOLD the REAL STORIES of the
synthesis.
Somebody
has to get sacrificed to the dog: now - who's that going to be - intellectually UN-BAMBOOZLED honest people, or GROUPIES from a CHURCH of THEFT from the THEIR OWN GRANDCHILDREN'S CIVILIZATION?

That'll be you in the "too stupid to be carried forward in the ongoing evolutionary synthesis."

In other words, that blinding light is Y O U

REALIZING Y O U are being S H A T
upon the SHORES of HOUSTON or SOMEWHERE
a FOSSILIZING CARCASS of INTELLECTUALLY SHALLOW
ANIMATING
MEMES:
And LOOK! There's BIGFOOT and it's TRUE, AREA 51 IS right HERE in GOOD OL' TEXAS!

In other words you represent every backward-assed shop-till-you-drop deadhead who BAWT thuh
BULL, but THAIR AINT NO HORNS OWN THIS'N!

Lmao your legacy: to your SELF years down the road is that you're gonna look back at SOMEONE WHO LOBBIED FOR GLOBAL WARMING and MAKING OIL PRICES RISE
to HELP BIG OIL: as in AL GORE'S OIL FORTUNE
and
British Petroleum's C.R.U.'PANIC' so we (just by chance) have to SHOOT THE PRICE of OIL UP.

You ignorant libtard yew deserv thuh way algore treets yew for being
dumb.

#30899 Jun 22, 2012
Nauseous deserves a new page for the next post.

#30900 Jun 22, 2012
Nauseous wrote:
Your reading of history is as deficient........
Save WWII history for a WWII forum.

Now tell me why your extreme weather history isn't as good and why your search engine is unable to do as well as it does finding war history?
PHD

Houston, TX

#30901 Jun 22, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
It would take some unit of energy to make steel. Therefore again you don't have a clue how things actually work. Now go back to school start at pre K level and pay attention. SEE WIND MILLS RULE AGAIN!!!
PHD

Houston, TX

#30902 Jun 22, 2012
Dirthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever it is I'm taking, I suggest I consult an emergency vet, quickly.
There you go again dirtling you forgot to take your head meds. You need to take your own suggestion and get help soon. Have you noticed that drool running down? That would be a good indicator. SEE WIND MILLS RULE!!!!

#30903 Jun 22, 2012
OMG, it's escaped from the funny (wind) farm.
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#30905 Jun 22, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Spencer and colleague John Christy published papers that implied the troposphere was warming at a much slower rate than the surface temperature record and climate models indicated...". However, the discrepancy turned out to be an artifact of their having applied incorrect adjustments to their UAH satellite temperature record data.
'

EIGHT TIMES!!! And each time the other scientists who got it right in ONE had to point out the specific error and they would MAKE ANOTHER to match what they WANTED to show. Spencer seems to be the biggers 'bias' and so he left after a while. Christie is still in there plugging away but he doesn't have much credibility left.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#30906 Jun 22, 2012
June 22, 2012 – EARTH – A new report from Global Witness reveals that the killing of environmentalists is on the rise. The report, which defines environmentalists as activists, journalists and community members who defend rights to land and forests, says that more than 700 environmentalists have been murdered in the last ten years. The report notes that in 2011 the number of killings was 106 people, a figure that has nearly doubled over the past three years. CBS News illustrates the growing problem with the case of Chut Wutty. Mr. Wutty was a Cambodian activist who tried to fight illegal deforestation. The environmentalist lost his battle, however, when he was shot by a military policeman in April as he investigated logging operations in the country’s abundant forests. CBS News also brings up the case of Nisio Gomes. Mr. Gomes, the chief of a Brazilian tribe, was killed by masked gun men in November. The chief was killed trying to protect his land from ranchers.“This trend points to the increasingly fierce global battle for resources, and represents the sharpest of wake-up calls for delegates in Rio. Over one person a week is being murdered for defending rights to forests and land,” said Billy Kyte, a campaigner at Global Witness, in a press release. Global Witness says that environmentalists are being killed at the rate of one per week.–Bunsen Burner

#30907 Jun 22, 2012
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
A thermal pollutant is clearly and obviously something that causes thermal pollution in some specific context.

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...
-
There is no such thing as a "thermal pollutant," Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
"Thermal pollutant" doesn't exist on planet Earth.
I Am DIGITAP

Los Angeles, CA

#30908 Jun 22, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
June 22, 2012 – EARTH – A new report from Global Witness reveals that the killing of environmentalists is on the rise. The report, which defines environmentalists as activists, journalists and community members who defend rights to land and forests, says that more than 700 environmentalists have been murdered in the last ten years. The report notes that in 2011 the number of killings was 106 people, a figure that has nearly doubled over the past three years. CBS News illustrates the growing problem with the case of Chut Wutty. Mr. Wutty was a Cambodian activist who tried to fight illegal deforestation. The environmentalist lost his battle, however, when he was shot by a military policeman in April as he investigated logging operations in the country’s abundant forests. CBS News also brings up the case of Nisio Gomes. Mr. Gomes, the chief of a Brazilian tribe, was killed by masked gun men in November. The chief was killed trying to protect his land from ranchers.“This trend points to the increasingly fierce global battle for resources, and represents the sharpest of wake-up calls for delegates in Rio. Over one person a week is being murdered for defending rights to forests and land,” said Billy Kyte, a campaigner at Global Witness, in a press release. Global Witness says that environmentalists are being killed at the rate of one per week.–Bunsen Burner
Well that's not really fast enough but we'll settle for one a week till we can get things rolling along a little better.

Thanks for the update; keep em coming.
I Am DIGITAP

Los Angeles, CA

#30909 Jun 22, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>'
EIGHT TIMES!!! And each time the other scientists who got it right in ONE had to point out the specific error and they would MAKE ANOTHER to match what they WANTED to show. Spencer seems to be the biggers 'bias' and so he left after a while. Christie is still in there plugging away but he doesn't have much credibility left.
BOTH SPENCER and CHRISTY are MAGIC GASSERS so THAT explains WHY they couldn't get a paper past the process. COMPETITION for FUNDS.

OUTLIERS in MAGIC GAS COUNTRY

are NOT ALLOWED to PUBLISH in CLIMATE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Lauderdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 58 min Three Days 310,951
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 59 min Cheftell 70,451
News Missing 5-year-old Florida girl likely was abdu... (Feb '09) 1 hr zazz 98,015
Madonna cousin's working at Broward Design Center (Mar '11) 4 hr Leo 12
Parental Alienation Support Group (Jul '11) 12 hr katie 11
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) Fri Zionism is racism 72,025
News King of Pop deserved respect (Jul '09) Apr 28 RIP Prince 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Lauderdale Mortgages