Mountain Heritage Day
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Fort Gay Resident

United States

#1 Aug 6, 2009
Has anyone heard anything about Mountain Heritage Day this year? I'm not really sure why I care because Mountain Heritage Day is a joke now. It used to actually be about our heritage, it was so fun! I don't think these junky game & toy trailers / inflatable aliens / stupid gag toys was part of our heritage, I know they weren't. The Mountain Heritage Day committee lets ANYONE set up a stand (gotta' get that dollar, that's all that matters, right?). Go ask the tattooed, trashy, smoking vendors who are selling our kids the fake cigarettes and the fake guns and the goofy inflatable aliens what part of Fort Gay (or even Wayne County) that their from, I guarantee the answer is no where near here! It's useless for Jean Perry (with her jars of homemade goodies), our churches (with their wonderful hotdogs and fried apple pies), our school groups, Bernard Cyrus (with the rest of his pickin' pals), and others to even set up or show up because you have these stupid junk vendors taking everyone's money and taking up half of the front lawn. I can't believe the committee has let it get this bad. Maybe the committee should consider new members. Forget I even asked, I don't think I'll be going this year!
Some guy

Lynchburg, VA

#2 Aug 6, 2009
I totally agree with you. It used to be fun back in the day. The committee really needs to get a hold on things and get it back the way it used to be.
Bertram Bumblebritches

Terre Haute, IN

#3 Aug 7, 2009
Fort Gay was founded by aliens. This was long before Area 51 was even known. Inflatable aliens and bouncy attractions are honoring this tradition. Rumors are that a spaceship will be landing this year. It will also fly and do tricks. Oh, I can't wait.
former resident

South Point, OH

#4 Aug 7, 2009
they have let it get way outta hand with these vendors. I think it should be food vendors and then things like apple butter making, soap making, quilting and craft displays, pony rides and things like that, you could even have horse and buggy rides to make some money. Just do something that they did way back that gets to our heritage.
The Future

Anderson, SC

#5 Aug 7, 2009
In 50 years the Heritage will be pill heads and thieves cause that's all they are in Fort Gay and Louisa now.
The Past

Fairmont, WV

#6 Aug 7, 2009
The Future wrote:
In 50 years the Heritage will be pill heads and thieves cause that's all they are in Fort Gay and Louisa now.
In the early 1900s, docs used to prescribe both cocaine and morphine for things like post-partum depression. This was before it was illegal. There were a lot of housewives addicted to morphine. They just had to have their "medicine." Nothing has changed. Addiction is nothing new.
Susie

Winder, GA

#7 Aug 8, 2009
Love comes in many forms and you just have to let it happen...over and over....don't be a pig about life...enjoy today and forget the past....grow up you loser fools....go take a piss and let it out
Roanoke Mountaineer

Roanoke, VA

#8 Aug 12, 2009
What does Heritage weekend mean to me ? Let me try to answer this question; I can return to Fort Gay and re-new my friendships. I can enjoy a few hours with friends reliving years gone by. Can drop by the Baptist Church and have a bowl of pinto beans (they too bring back memories of childhood during the depression). My walk down memory lane will not include drugs, trash talk, or a search for bad but those memories will include people helping others in need. Funny, but I can't recall ever hearing comments downing someone. Now, lets take a look at the vendors,
I'm sure I will see some booths that will have no interest for me, others I am sure I will shop and buy. What I will appreciate the most is knowing
the monies from the rental will be going for a wonderful cause.Are you aware that the Fort Gay High School Alumni Association has raised more than $250,000.00 and created the FGHS Memorial Scholarship fund at Marshall for our students ?
It is always easy to bad mouth something but does it help the issue ? The Alumni Association is not a "closed" organization. Join, do your part, they will listen, they need your support, not for themselves but for upcoming students who want a
better future. Before getting off my soap box, let me end by another old saying "PUT UP OR SHUT UP".
Fort Gay Resident

Hurricane, WV

#9 Aug 13, 2009
Roanoke Mountaineer wrote:
What does Heritage weekend mean to me ? Let me try to answer this question; I can return to Fort Gay and re-new my friendships. I can enjoy a few hours with friends reliving years gone by. Can drop by the Baptist Church and have a bowl of pinto beans (they too bring back memories of childhood during the depression). My walk down memory lane will not include drugs, trash talk, or a search for bad but those memories will include people helping others in need. Funny, but I can't recall ever hearing comments downing someone. Now, lets take a look at the vendors,
I'm sure I will see some booths that will have no interest for me, others I am sure I will shop and buy. What I will appreciate the most is knowing
the monies from the rental will be going for a wonderful cause.Are you aware that the Fort Gay High School Alumni Association has raised more than $250,000.00 and created the FGHS Memorial Scholarship fund at Marshall for our students ?
It is always easy to bad mouth something but does it help the issue ? The Alumni Association is not a "closed" organization. Join, do your part, they will listen, they need your support, not for themselves but for upcoming students who want a
better future. Before getting off my soap box, let me end by another old saying "PUT UP OR SHUT UP".
Seriously,'Put up or shut up'? You need to learn when to use the correct catch phrase at the appropriate time. Old saying, yeah, our pioneers really made their enemies mad when they yelled "put up or shut up".
This post is about The Mountain Heritage Day Committee, nothing was said about the Alumni Association (their is a difference). Their are still a few organizations that respect Fort Gay's Heritage, the Alumni Association does and we're very proud of them. Mountain Heritage Day over the past few years has been a COMPLETE JOKE! As far as the vendor fees (which is between $10 and $20 and keep in mind some are free),they would have more Fort Gay vendors if they would lose these out-of-town junk vendors.
As a matter of fact, I DO MY PART and I'm sure it's a whole lot more than what you are doing to keep our heritage alive.
I'm reminded of an old saying "KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING", oh wait a minute, that's not a catch phrase, it's just what I was thinking.
Have a great day.
Susie

Morehead, KY

#10 Aug 13, 2009
You talk about money that was raised like you did it ...your full of shit...eat your fu.king pinto beans....your better get into the real world old bastard Fort gay doesn't need freaks like you...you won't get any of this sexy stuff i can tell you that ...stay in Va and out of the state of WV we don't need your country ass down here....find some time and spend it with your wife instead of trying to pick up young woman here....
former resident

South Point, OH

#11 Aug 14, 2009
Susie wrote:
Love comes in many forms and you just have to let it happen...over and over....don't be a pig about life...enjoy today and forget the past....grow up you loser fools....go take a piss and let it out
your post has NOTHING to do with mountain heritage day, why dont you make up your own forum, called loose, trampy, horny and a drunk, because thats where you need to be writing your comments.
former resident

South Point, OH

#12 Aug 14, 2009
Susie wrote:
You talk about money that was raised like you did it ...your full of shit...eat your fu.king pinto beans....your better get into the real world old bastard Fort gay doesn't need freaks like you...you won't get any of this sexy stuff i can tell you that ...stay in Va and out of the state of WV we don't need your country ass down here....find some time and spend it with your wife instead of trying to pick up young woman here....
you seem to think you're all that, when in fact, you're quite delusional and irrational in your thinking process, go have yourself another beer, lay on your back for the next druggie, alky pillhead and do what you do best, NOTHING. LOL
Asking

Scott Depot, WV

#13 Aug 14, 2009
Does anyone know who the contact person is if you have questions about setting up a table to sell food there?
Asking

Scott Depot, WV

#14 Aug 14, 2009
Does anyone know who the contact person is if you have questions about setting up at Mt. Heritage?
Fish eggs

United States

#15 Aug 15, 2009
Susie..susie.... Mt.Heritage day will not be serving beer and chips for you, so please... do us all a favor and stay home. haha

Anyhoo.... I believe the first post on this forum says it all.
It's all becoming a joke really and I have stopped going because of it. Septemberfest is headin' the same direction.
Roanoke Mountaineer

Roanoke, VA

#16 Aug 15, 2009
Fort Gay Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously,'Put up or shut up'? You need to learn when to use the correct catch phrase at the appropriate time. Old saying, yeah, our pioneers really made their enemies mad when they yelled "put up or shut up".
This post is about The Mountain Heritage Day Committee, nothing was said about the Alumni Association (their is a difference). Their are still a few organizations that respect Fort Gay's Heritage, the Alumni Association does and we're very proud of them. Mountain Heritage Day over the past few years has been a COMPLETE JOKE! As far as the vendor fees (which is between $10 and $20 and keep in mind some are free),they would have more Fort Gay vendors if they would lose these out-of-town junk vendors.
As a matter of fact, I DO MY PART and I'm sure it's a whole lot more than what you are doing to keep our heritage alive.
I'm reminded of an old saying "KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING", oh wait a minute, that's not a catch phrase, it's just what I was thinking.
Have a great day.
I am sure that you have far more than me have done more for the heritage of Fort Gay. I appreciate this and hope you will continue your efforts. Living as many miles away that I do, the best that I am able to do is my small donations to the FGHS Alumni and to the War Memorial. Maybe the little purchases I make from some of the Vendors also help. I guess my family is kind'a of a "johnnie come lately" to Fort Gay in as much we have only been residents since 1917.
So please continue your good works !
Roanoke Mountaineer

Roanoke, VA

#17 Aug 15, 2009
Susie wrote:
You talk about money that was raised like you did it ...your full of shit...eat your fu.king pinto beans....your better get into the real world old bastard Fort gay doesn't need freaks like you...you won't get any of this sexy stuff i can tell you that ...stay in Va and out of the state of WV we don't need your country ass down here....find some time and spend it with your wife instead of trying to pick up young woman here....
Just a short reply to your comments; Sorry that my remarks has offended you
to the point you have forgotten to be the Lady that I am sure you are --- otherwise I am sure your comments would of been more becoming to you.
Please accept my apologies for causing this !!!
Bertram Bumblebritches

Terre Haute, IN

#18 Aug 16, 2009
Roanoke Mountaineer wrote:
What does Heritage weekend mean to me ? Let me try to answer this question; I can return to Fort Gay and re-new my friendships. I can enjoy a few hours with friends reliving years gone by. Can drop by the Baptist Church and have a bowl of pinto beans (they too bring back memories of childhood during the depression). My walk down memory lane will not include drugs, trash talk, or a search for bad but those memories will include people helping others in need. Funny, but I can't recall ever hearing comments downing someone. Now, lets take a look at the vendors,
I'm sure I will see some booths that will have no interest for me, others I am sure I will shop and buy. What I will appreciate the most is knowing
the monies from the rental will be going for a wonderful cause.Are you aware that the Fort Gay High School Alumni Association has raised more than $250,000.00 and created the FGHS Memorial Scholarship fund at Marshall for our students ?
It is always easy to bad mouth something but does it help the issue ? The Alumni Association is not a "closed" organization. Join, do your part, they will listen, they need your support, not for themselves but for upcoming students who want a
better future. Before getting off my soap box, let me end by another old saying "PUT UP OR SHUT UP".
Did beans during the depression help reduce your heating bill? I'm told an after-effect is hot air.
Grump

Saint Albans, WV

#19 Aug 19, 2009
Yelp give'em a good cold glass of water it wont kill you
Roanoke Mountaineer

Roanoke, VA

#20 Aug 19, 2009
Bertram Bumblebritches wrote:
<quoted text>
Did beans during the depression help reduce your heating bill? I'm told an after-effect is hot air.
Bertram, life has been good to me, I've enjoyed travel, have eaten in 5 star restaurants
on both coasts and still consider fried potatoes and pinto beans with cornbread and onions a great meal. Maybe it was growing up during the depression and being grateful for the simple foods. So many didn't have that ---- my wish for you is that may you never have to experience where
something as simple as pinto beans becomes a mainstay in your existence. May your cup always be full !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Gay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
concerned citizen 1 hr wayne chicks r sluts 2
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Wed cabin creek Cu m 4,010
Does anyone know anything about John Tucker !! (Sep '12) Tue SsTucker33 21
What do you think about Kevin Smith? AKA "Smitty"? (Feb '09) Tue Donnie 26
trudy harless drives a yellow car Mar 21 Curious Guy 1
A snitch in town (Aug '14) Mar 20 Milo 28
Fun on Lost Creek (Oct '14) Mar 19 Lets Go 27

Fort Gay Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Gay Mortgages