Over policed in St. Lawrence County

Over policed in St. Lawrence County

There are 183 comments on the North Country Now story from May 2, 2013, titled Over policed in St. Lawrence County. In it, North Country Now reports that:

Do you believe that your friends, neighbors and surrounding community members are all criminals that should be constantly scrutinized by the police? If not, why is it acceptable for there to be a SLC Sheriff between Potsdam and Canton, a US Border Patrol agent in the village of Canton, and three NYS Troopers between the villages of Canton and ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at North Country Now.

RiparianHilariou s Dbag

Hammond, NY

#110 May 17, 2013
Hilarious wrote:
<quoted text>
But, from a higher level I see the need for increased patrols before this area ends up like Detroit. Take a half hour and better understand the dynamics of Detroit before you pull out your north country bible and preach about your rights being "stripped".
What an asshole.
Yeah, this little shit town of Gouverneur has so many parallels to Detroit it is frightening.
You need to look back to their socioeconomic status from 20 years ago to now, look at the trend. Although the economy here is a smaller in scale, it has many similar data points and trends when compared to Detroit. I am certain your research was very in depth and full of analytical and social trending. Fuckstick
larry

Ithaca, NY

#111 May 17, 2013
Curious wrote:
What does NYSCOPBA stand for and who do they represent?
Well then, based on this, those guys that direct traffic at a fire scene with the words "fire police" on their jackets must be law enforcement too!
Riparian

Ardsley, NY

#112 May 17, 2013
Riparians Douche bag wrote:
<quoted text>I did not say I carried the weight of the entire welfare system on my back. I do pay more into federal and state for taxes than 90% of the people around here gross in one year. So without using Google or my Amish(note the capital A), I will offer you some education.
Riparian spelling vs the correct way
Lowely - lowly
dont- don't
douchbag- douche bag (addressed above)
theres - there's or there is, should be "there are" as it is not a singular reference
recipricate - reciprocate
So I am glad you bashed the residents of Heuvelton (note the capital H) and the Amish. I assure you I am not Amish and never have been. I have not been molested by anyone either. It is your dream, make it as big as you want.
My sole purpose is to provide an alternative viewpoint on select items which you certainly do not have to agree with. Having grown up here yet also having lived around the US, I am very accustomed to your backward view of the world. I certainly do not agree with 100% of what the cops are doing or are being tasked with. But, from a higher level I see the need for increased patrols before this area ends up like Detroit. Take a half hour and better understand the dynamics of Detroit before you pull out your north country bible and preach about your rights being "stripped".
So pull of your blinders, pull out your ear plugs, and badjacks cck from your ass and look at Detroit. Prosperity to one of the highest per capita murder rates in the US. Why is that? Why is it that when industry leaves, the area's once prosperous neighborhoods fall into shambles? Flea Markets do not count as business. Drug problems are not on the rise here? Unsolved murders? etc
So lets hear your highly educated retort. Make it good though since I will correct and grade it.
I fell asleep reading your response.
If your gonna waste time arguing about proper grammer you miss my point but thats just like you shift the attention from the real arguement to my ass or my grammerical errors. I wouldnt waste my time adding apostrophys or proofreading my retort to you so waste our time some other way.
Also pick one username and stick with it you confuse us backward northcountry folk.
Riparian

Ardsley, NY

#114 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>I did not say I carried the weight of the entire welfare system on my back. I do pay more into federal and state for taxes than 90% of the people around here gross in one year. So without using Google or my Amish(note the capital A), I will offer you some education.
Lowely - lowly
dont- don't
theres - there's or there is, should be "there are" as it is not a singular reference
So I am glad you bashed the residents of Heuvelton (note the capital H) and the Amish. I assure you I am not Amish and never have been. I have not been molested by anyone either. It is your dream, make it as big as you want.
My sole purpose is to provide an alternative viewpoint on select items which you certainly do not have to agree with. Having grown up here yet also having lived around the US, I am very accustomed to your backward view of the world. I certainly do not agree with 100% of what the cops are doing or are being tasked with. But, from a higher level I see the need for increased patrols before this area ends up like Detroit. Take a half hour and better understand the dynamics of Detroit before you pull out your north country bible and preach about your rights being "stripped".
So pull of your blinders, pull out your ear plugs, and badjacks cck from your ass and look at Detroit. Prosperity to one of the highest per capita murder rates in the US. Why is that? Why is it that when industry leaves, the area's once prosperous neighborhoods fall into shambles? Flea Markets do not count as business. Drug problems are not on the rise here? Unsolved murders? etc
So lets hear your highly educated retort. Make it good though since I will correct and grade it.
Pull of your blinders?
Obviously actually you were trying to write a perfect post at least spelling wise. You fail tool.
Can you hear your house cracking?
Only took you 17 hours to compose
and partially proofread good boy you work hard and maybe someday Ill make you my douchbag.
Riparian

Ardsley, NY

#115 May 17, 2013
Lowely - lowly
dont- don't
Detroit really?
They shoot each other every day because theres no room! Areas the size of Richville shouldnt have as many people as Syracuse.
Did you know you cant send your adolesent daughter out at night in chechnya or she will be raped then murdered? Wtf do I care ? Should I worry about it happening here? Call dapolice im skeeerd!
Riparian

Hammond, NY

#116 May 17, 2013
Riparian wrote:
<quoted text>
I fell asleep reading your response.
If your gonna waste time arguing about proper grammer you miss my point but thats just like you shift the attention from the real arguement to my ass or my grammerical errors. I wouldnt waste my time adding apostrophys or proofreading my retort to you so waste our time some other way.
Also pick one username and stick with it you confuse us backward northcountry folk.
I love you daddy
redrum

Ardsley, NY

#117 May 17, 2013
Were is Randall when you need him
modern patriot

United States

#119 May 17, 2013
Courios,You Are The Man,or Woman.
Curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's what I want to know: What or who exactly are the roadblocks I'm referring to, and the LEOs there "risking their lives" to man them, protecting me from? Al Qaeda? Please. Although that WAS the original stated intent. But have the roadblocks around here produced any "hits"? No to my knowledge, and yet they're still setting them up. Why, then? Who's the REAL target? The Mohawks with cigarettes or weed? Drunk drivers? Registration and inspection violations? All of the above?
This is a perfect example of "mission creep". These roadblocks often amounts to little more than overt harassment of law-abiding citizens going about their daily business. I'm also really tired of the whole "well if you've got nothing to hide..." argument, too. If that's the case, then I guess all of us with "nothing to hide" shouldn't bother worrying about little things like the 4th Amendment, Habeus Corpus or search warrants, right? I mean, if you're innocent, you have nothing to worry about, right? Give me a break. The people who compiled the Constition and Bill of Rights had just shaken off a system that allowed the Monarch and his proxies to routinely deprive his subjects of anything resembling personal privacy. Sadly, little by little we seem to be heading back to that, and I think that's dangerous.
Anyway, back to your post, "Retired CO". You think that because ONE of those figures is higher than the other, then only the higher figure should be the subject of a discussion? The size of BOTH of those figures bothers me, and I think BOTH should be addressed, along with a myriad of other topics.
If you're really a retired CO, then you're part of the law enforcement (LE) system, and it's understandable then that any criticism of LE by anyone NOT LE is met with a response of "these people are heroes, They risk they're live daily yada yada yada". I hear it all the time, and it's meant to shut people like me up. "How DARE YOU criticize these HEROES! Un-American blah blah blah!" The defensive walls go up immediately and it becomes impossible have a real substantive conversation with people like you. I'm just so sick of it. The the utter arrogance and contempt that many members of LE show for "citizens" is frightening. LE does and gets what it wants just because it's LE, and us "citizens" just have to keep bending over?!? I don't think so. Have they forgotten who pays the bills? Have you?
HereYaGo

New York, NY

#120 May 17, 2013
I guess my question to this would be: we have such an over abundance of law enforcement, why then does our crime rate keep going up? Why are there situations like the one a year ago with all of the vehicle break ins, one break in took place right after a fresh snow fall, plenty of footprints and yet never a single suspect. If our tax money is going to pay for so many law enforcement officers, our towns should be cleaned up and have a very low crime rate, we should feel safe, not that we have to deadbolt our doors like we live in some big city.
Riparian the one and only

Ardsley, NY

#121 May 17, 2013
HereYaGo wrote:
I guess my question to this would be: we have such an over abundance of law enforcement, why then does our crime rate keep going up? Why are there situations like the one a year ago with all of the vehicle break ins, one break in took place right after a fresh snow fall, plenty of footprints and yet never a single suspect. If our tax money is going to pay for so many law enforcement officers, our towns should be cleaned up and have a very low crime rate, we should feel safe, not that we have to deadbolt our doors like we live in some big city.
My answer to your question is theres no money in it. The police would rather hold roadblocks its much more lucrative.
When the border patrol finds no illegals or reasons to check for contraban the next guy in line is a trooper whats he there for? stickers ,plates, cracked window, window tint, loud exhaust, seatbelt, the list is endless.
It does nothing to recover stolen items, or solve real crime pertinent to our area. If they cant run you off the road or run you over you can run around doin what you want. Buy a car and try to get to and from work every day and youre a criminal who needs close attention.
moneyman

Ardsley, NY

#122 May 17, 2013
Riparian the one and only wrote:
<quoted text>My answer to your question is theres no money in it. The police would rather hold roadblocks its much more lucrative.
When the border patrol finds no illegals or reasons to check for contraban the next guy in line is a trooper whats he there for? stickers ,plates, cracked window, window tint, loud exhaust, seatbelt, the list is endless.
It does nothing to recover stolen items, or solve real crime pertinent to our area. If they cant run you off the road or run you over you can run around doin what you want. Buy a car and try to get to and from work every day and youre a criminal who needs close attention.
Ask Craig Murdie about roads checks....oh, u can't. He is in prison. Caught at a road check with a shit load of loose change from a house in broke into and stolen property. I guess those road checks work once in awhile, not like u think.
HereYaGo

Ithaca, NY

#123 May 17, 2013
moneyman wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask Craig Murdie about roads checks....oh, u can't. He is in prison. Caught at a road check with a shit load of loose change from a house in broke into and stolen property. I guess those road checks work once in awhile, not like u think.
I don't have an issue with the road blocks, what I do have an issue with is the fact that everywhere you turn there is a cop and yet our schools are full of drugs, there are cars being broken into all over town and where exactly are all these cops when this stuff is going on?
doggy

Ithaca, NY

#124 May 17, 2013
HereYaGo wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have an issue with the road blocks, what I do have an issue with is the fact that everywhere you turn there is a cop and yet our schools are full of drugs, there are cars being broken into all over town and where exactly are all these cops when this stuff is going on?
Going to my neighbors house. His dog keeps barking all hours of the night...so I call the cops to show him.
Riparian the one and only

Ardsley, NY

#125 May 17, 2013
HereYaGo wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have an issue with the road blocks, what I do have an issue with is the fact that everywhere you turn there is a cop and yet our schools are full of drugs, there are cars being broken into all over town and where exactly are all these cops when this stuff is going on?
Doughnut shop, or harassing me.
roger spencer

Ardsley, NY

#126 May 18, 2013
Like any job payed for with tax dollars. If they say they need more help. If they say they need new cars or buildings they get them. it doesen't cost them anything. I work for the goverment. we have a budget. if we don't spend all of it. we won't get as much next year. we won't be able to ask for even more. so in the last weeks of the year. we spend and spend. we buy things we don't really need. just so we can ask for more money. we can hire more people that we don't need. we can get nicer and more expensive things that we don't need. Its like we better get it or someone else will. I heard that the walk bridge at harry mills park was some kind of grant. the money could have been spent on something useful. but the money had to be spent on the bridge or not at all. that bridge was a huge waste of money. the police forces are ran the same way. And about COs. you are not police. you can not arrest anyone. you have good jobs. but no power outside of the prison. please stop flashing your badges. it makes you look foolish.
Curious

New York, NY

#127 May 18, 2013
modern patriot wrote:
Courios,You Are The Man,or Woman. <quoted text>
Man. And "Thank You".

People need to wake up, get motivated and take their country back before it's too late.
To much

New Hartford, NY

#128 May 18, 2013
If crime was lower then there would be no need for so many police
HereYaGo

Ithaca, NY

#129 May 18, 2013
To much wrote:
If crime was lower then there would be no need for so many police
!

With so many here, crime rates should be going down not up!
roger spencer

Ardsley, NY

#130 May 20, 2013
If you want to find out. How dangerous. Law enforcement jobs are. You can look it up. Look up fatalities per 100,000 employed. You will find the truth. I won't tell you the truth. That way we won't have to argue about it. Post your findings if you want.
Riparians fart box

Hammond, NY

#131 May 20, 2013
roger spencer wrote:
If you want to find out. How dangerous. Law enforcement jobs are. You can look it up. Look up fatalities per 100,000 employed. You will find the truth. I won't tell you the truth. That way we won't have to argue about it. Post your findings if you want.
We have too much law round here. I cant bees doing illegals things if I might get caught. Me and my cool frends all have too much fun being dbags and running activities to support my welfares check. Vote for me, Riparians Fart box for topix presydent!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Drum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Family of four escapes Carthage house fire; use... Wed crazylady 1
Becca Jaycox (Jun '16) Jul 24 Pos 17
drug addicts robbing houses Jul 21 sick of it 1
Man looking for dope Jul 18 Yoohoo570 1
News Some Central New York Towns That Are 'World Fam... Jul 13 trash alert 5
News Watertown man arrested for punching woman in nose Jul 13 nonsense 1
finger lickers at the market Jul 13 nonsense 1

Fort Drum Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance