Over policed in St. Lawrence County

May 2, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: North Country Now

Do you believe that your friends, neighbors and surrounding community members are all criminals that should be constantly scrutinized by the police? If not, why is it acceptable for there to be a SLC Sheriff between Potsdam and Canton, a US Border Patrol agent in the village of Canton, and three NYS Troopers between the villages of Canton and ... (more)

Comments
1 - 20 of 182 Comments Last updated Nov 5, 2013
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

I put up with it because I don't believe in the system therefore I refuse to participate. I wouldnt go to a town meeting and Id go to jail before I would serve on a jury. The system doesnt work and is mostly corrupt.
Any man or woman that feels so strongly about the laws of the land that they would get up in the morning, put on a uniform go out and "uphold" the law, then when convinced of a persons guilt some will illegally search, lie, fabricate evidence, ect. That is the definition of hypocracy, and hopefully the deepest depths of hell will be reserved for them!
Correct

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Riparian wrote:
I put up with it because I don't believe in the system therefore I refuse to participate. I wouldnt go to a town meeting and Id go to jail before I would serve on a jury. The system doesnt work and is mostly corrupt.
Any man or woman that feels so strongly about the laws of the land that they would get up in the morning, put on a uniform go out and "uphold" the law, then when convinced of a persons guilt some will illegally search, lie, fabricate evidence, ect. That is the definition of hypocracy, and hopefully the deepest depths of hell will be reserved for them!
Wow, you MUST be a resident of Gouverneur, because that is EXACTLY HOW OUR COPS ARE!
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Correct wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, you MUST be a resident of Gouverneur, because that is EXACTLY HOW OUR COPS ARE!
Exresident, took me till i was 35 now for the last three years Ive lived on a creek that leads to a lake on a dead end rd
4-5 cops a year drive by on the average
Almost paradise.
Curious

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Riparian, if you live on a dead-end road, why are there any cops driving by at all? Partiers?

And YES, we are over-policed here in St. Lawrence County, without a doubt. Here in wonderful Gouverneur, we have the GPD, SLCSD, NYSP, NYSDEC, and DHS/ICE all working within the Village limits at various times. Did I forget anyone? We PAY through the nose for all of this redundancy, too. We're made to feel like criminals in our own communities and on our roads all in the name of the "War on Terror (DRUGS)". On a side note, that "War" and the money it generates is why drugs, even weed, will remain illegal for the foreseeable future.

We live along the border with Canada, therefore we should be forced to live in a 100 mile wide police state? What they're doing amounts to little more than harassment of the many in the hope of catching the very few, and tells me that LE, especially the NYSP and Feds, don't really have a clue.
Poop

Hammond, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Curious wrote:
Riparian, if you live on a dead-end road, why are there any cops driving by at all? Partiers?
And YES, we are over-policed here in St. Lawrence County, without a doubt. Here in wonderful Gouverneur, we have the GPD, SLCSD, NYSP, NYSDEC, and DHS/ICE all working within the Village limits at various times. Did I forget anyone? We PAY through the nose for all of this redundancy, too. We're made to feel like criminals in our own communities and on our roads all in the name of the "War on Terror (DRUGS)". On a side note, that "War" and the money it generates is why drugs, even weed, will remain illegal for the foreseeable future.
We live along the border with Canada, therefore we should be forced to live in a 100 mile wide police state? What they're doing amounts to little more than harassment of the many in the hope of catching the very few, and tells me that LE, especially the NYSP and Feds, don't really have a clue.
I think we need more. Too many scum bags getting away with too much. If you are innocent, there is nothing to really worry about.
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Poop wrote:
<quoted text>I think we need more. Too many scum bags getting away with too much. If you are innocent, there is nothing to really worry about.
Nothing to worry about?
You ever been pulled out of your car and had it searched by the boyscouts I mean border patrol as your neighbors went by wondering what kind of criminal you are?
I did nothing wrong but drive into st law co! Can I check your trunk? He said
For what ? Well being so close to the border(fowler ny) we do random serches. Ok what if I dont give my permission for a search?
Well sir it could take some time to get a dog down here to do a walk around. It would be quicker if I just took a peek.As he smiled at me. I wanted to punch him
So i let him molest my vehicle for all to see.
Land of the free...... To do what your told.
I wante
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Curious wrote:

Well as I said theres a lake that makes it a dead end with many camps on the water as close as trailers in a park Im guessing the occasional drama brings them.
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Curious wrote:

To go even further I was stopped at a border patrol checkpoint once and asked by a hispanic agent with a very heavy accent if i was an american citizen ? I told him I can understand you I speak english because I am an american!
I felt like I was in the twilite zone.
What the hell happened to our country?
This was a seperate incident from the other where I was just pulled over out of the blue. That was the reason I now give them as hard a time as I dare.
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Riparian wrote:
<quoted text>To go even further I was stopped at a border patrol checkpoint once and asked by a hispanic agent with a very heavy accent if i was an american citizen ? I told him I can understand you I speak english because I am an american!
This was a seperate incident from the other where I was just pulled over out of the blue. That was the reason I now give them as hard a time as I dare.
Typo line 5
I told him I CAN'T understand you
Sorry
English speaking americans dont always type correctly lol
Da Police

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Maybe you just have a guilty face, maybe your a scum bag, who knows.

But you could have said no to the search and then asked to leave. He would have then let you leave.

But being the Loser you are, you just complied.
roger spencer

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

We have a need for police. Our need does'nt grow. But the forces do grow each year. Our population is about the same as in the 70's and our roads aren't any longer. So why more police? Creating jobs. Like the school bus. They now have someone get off the bus and walk the kids across the road. I road a bus at 5 years old. I could cross the road. They just make a job where ever they can. Very few kids get hit getting off the bus. But if you say they don't need someone to walk the kids. They will say you don't care about the kids. If you complain about to many police. they will say you must be a scumbag. The truth is if you complain. It is because you know tax money is being wasted.
True

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Very few kids? So we just ignore the lucky few who do get hit?
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Da Police wrote:
Maybe you just have a guilty face, maybe your a scum bag, who knows.

But you could have said no to the search and then asked to leave. He would have then let you leave.

But being the Loser you are, you just complied.
You are an immature fool whos stuck their foot in their mouth enough times on this forum to know that you are no police officer of any kind.
Though your mentality is consistent with the majority of the people that I've known who have gone on to become officers of the "law".
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

roger spencer wrote:
We have a need for police. Our need does'nt grow. But the forces do grow each year. Our population is about the same as in the 70's and our roads aren't any longer. So why more police? Creating jobs. Like the school bus. They now have someone get off the bus and walk the kids across the road. I road a bus at 5 years old. I could cross the road. They just make a job where ever they can. Very few kids get hit getting off the bus. But if you say they don't need someone to walk the kids. They will say you don't care about the kids. If you complain about to many police. they will say you must be a scumbag. The truth is if you complain. It is because you know tax money is being wasted.
Well put. As well as the person who said earlier a good cop diffuses the situation, they dont escilate it.
said

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Riparian wrote:
<quoted text>To go even further I was stopped at a border patrol checkpoint once and asked by a hispanic agent with a very heavy accent if i was an american citizen ? I told him I can understand you I speak english because I am an american!
I drive 500 miles a week all over between Gouverneur and Malone for years and have never been stopped by any cop, let alone get searched by Border Patrol. Maybe you are doing something wrong.
Riparian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

said wrote:
<quoted text>I drive 500 miles a week all over between Gouverneur and Malone for years and have never been stopped by any cop, let alone get searched by Border Patrol. Maybe you are doing something wrong.
He said I did nothing wrong it was a random search.
Liar

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

said wrote:
<quoted text>
I drive 500 miles a week all over between Gouverneur and Malone for years and have never been stopped by any cop, let alone get searched by Border Patrol. Maybe you are doing something wrong.
Totally untrue
DOA

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

@ "said" - If you're saying ONLY that you've never been pulled over while driving, then OK. If, on the other hand, you're saying that you've never encountered any of the "roving" (LOL) roadblocks set up by the DHS proxies, well then I say you're full of b.s.. I don't put anywhere near 500 miles on in a week, and I see them all the time: between Gouverneur and Antwerp on Rt. 11 at the county line; between Gouverneur and Canton on Rt. 11 in front of the Silver Leaf; on Rt. 37 near Waddington. Then there are the odd locations: Rt. 58 between Gouverneur and Edwards and out Johnstown Rd between Gouverneur and the Wegatchie. Then there are the white Customs SUVs parked at the odd locations. I see them in the evenings parked in the commercial lots along Main St. here in Gouverneur all the time.

You simply CAN NOT drive 500 miles a week in this area and NOT encounter them.
said

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

DOA wrote:
@ "said" - If you're saying ONLY that you've never been pulled over while driving, then OK. If, on the other hand, you're saying that you've never encountered any of the "roving" (LOL) roadblocks set up by the DHS proxies, well then I say you're full of b.s.. I don't put anywhere near 500 miles on in a week, and I see them all the time: between Gouverneur and Antwerp on Rt. 11 at the county line; between Gouverneur and Canton on Rt. 11 in front of the Silver Leaf; on Rt. 37 near Waddington. Then there are the odd locations: Rt. 58 between Gouverneur and Edwards and out Johnstown Rd between Gouverneur and the Wegatchie. Then there are the white Customs SUVs parked at the odd locations. I see them in the evenings parked in the commercial lots along Main St. here in Gouverneur all the time.

You simply CAN NOT drive 500 miles a week in this area and NOT encounter them.
Never said I have not seen them. All over, but never been stopped or searched.
kashmir

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

I was simply parked down by a public dock once with a few friends, while we were waiting for a phone call to go meet someone, when border patrol made us all get out of the car and searched us. Then, when they weren't satisfied with the results, made us wait an hour for a canine unit and a female cop to come search the girls. They tore our car apart one more time, left it as is and then when we're finally on our way out of town, saw them sitting reading the paper and eating Burger King in a parking lot.

Get rid of useless ones. There are so many cops that pay attention to the wrong things. While they were tearing my car apart for no reason, there was probably seven thousand gazillion other crimes being committed that could have used their prompt attention.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fort Drum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lyons Falls man admits to sexual contact with y... 2 hr Tolerance is a Vi... 2
Ice Bucket Challenge raises awareness, funds fo... 6 hr Mongo Lloyd 3
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Tue College Professor 6,391
the punishers biker group (Jan '12) Tue Thor 59
Fort Drum solider arrested for criminal sex act... (Jul '12) Aug 18 Anonymous 8
Watertown man to fight charges from late-night ... Aug 18 anonymous 1
MS tattoos Aug 16 M and S tattoos 3

Search the Fort Drum Forum:
•••
•••
Fort Drum Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Fort Drum Jobs