Copenhagen summer rec program

Copenhagen summer rec program

Posted in the Fort Drum Forum

question

Alexander, NY

#1 Jun 16, 2014
Does anyone know why there is no summer rec program this year? It really helped me out when my kids were little so I could still work and save a ton on a babysitter, and it gave them something to do other than sit around for two months. Now my kids have kids and there is no summer rec for them to enjoy(both my kids and grandkids). Does anyone know why the school stopped doing it?
Your the reason

United States

#2 Jun 16, 2014
They are having because people like you took advantage of it utilizing it as a babysitter instead of what it was designed for. Pay for a damn sitter or quit having kids...
harsh

Wethersfield, CT

#3 Jun 17, 2014
That's a little harsh, many people in this town send their kids there for that reason, it really helps out for parents who work, even for just one kid it can cost quite a bit for a sitter. And besides, what else is there for kids to do here? What little bit there is get real old real quick. And BTW, the program is not run by the school, it is actually funded by the village, they just have it at the school and use their bus on beach days.
irritated

Ardsley, NY

#4 Jun 18, 2014
To the one that posted under the name of "your the reason", you are an idiot. Besides the fact that you dont know a damn thing. Parents have paid for their kids to go the summer rec program. I believe people like you only comment on here just to piss people off.
Irritated your clueless

United States

#5 Jun 19, 2014
Your the idiot, you think the $25 parents pay for the 6 weeks covers the cost. Ha, I'm glad it's cancelled, it's a huge cost for the benefit of a few. Our school provides the bus and fuel, so there's a cost. The village pays the village clerks sister to oversee it and she spends all her time on the phone. Yup, I really don't care what you think of me. At least the village is saving a little money, I'm glad the towns decide not to fund the program. Get off you ass and do something with your kids, spend your money and take them Swimming twice a week, you'll see your little $25 fee doesn't begin to cover the villages cost. Oh yeah at the end of the six weeks trot your little kids off to Enchanted Forest, gas to get there alone will eat up your $25 donatIon. Yea, I know a little bit more about the program than you think. So whose the idiot, that's problem with parents today, you want everyone else to do your job, watching your kid entertaining your kid etc. do your own job or don't have them...
irritated

Ardsley, NY

#6 Jun 20, 2014
My kids are grown dumb ass and didnt go to the summer rec program anyways. As far as her sister being on the phone, thats their fault, not the kids. Some of those kids, the summer rec program was all they had for getting to do anything during the summer.
Boy Irritated R U Upset

United States

#7 Jun 20, 2014
A little bitter and a potty mouth. Again, parents shouldn't rely on the Village of Copenhagen for summer babysitting and entertainment for the
community.

Regarding the summer help, since its clear that nepotism is allowed, I'm sure no one is going to monitor the person in charge.

Since you are so for this program why don't you support it by financing it for the community. Win Win, kids get to go play so the parents don't have to do their job and you get to support a program that the village, the town of Denmark, Champion, Rutland, Pickney and Harrisburg don't feel the need to support. Since those officials are all elected and answer to the public for finances, I'm sure they would support you.

Good Luck and Thank You!
Howstupid

Saranac Lake, NY

#8 Jun 21, 2014
Love how people think they know it all. Do you know who all applied for the job of the clerks sister? Did you apply? So how can you say there is favoritism? She was probably the only one who applied for it. It was a great program, just expensive to run. My kids went to program and loved the staff and the person in charge. You would probably have issues with whoever they had. Sounds like you just love being negative. It's people like you that helped ruin the program. Keep your stupid comments to yourself.
Hey Howstupid

United States

#9 Jun 22, 2014
Never spoke publicly about it before, so pretty sure it wasn't me that ruined it. Obviously the elected officials didn't feel the cost for a few was worth the expense to everyone. Do you get it, maybe you don't pay taxes? I do, I pay a lot being a village, town and county resident. Cost benefit analysis, the cost can't be justified.

Regardless, nepotism at the local level is rampant in Copenhagen. The mayors long term girlfriend is the clerk, he approves her pay and raises, nothing wrong there. She is paid way more than the hourly employees and works less hours. Nepotism is the root of the problem in most small towns and villages. I'm sure they could have found someone to lead the program, if they told the sister, sorry
Howstupid

Saranac Lake, NY

#10 Jun 22, 2014
Once again I say how stupid. At least I check my facts before running my mouth. Yes I pay taxes and the reason there was no rec was because of the cost of it. They hired the director the first year because she was the only one who applied. She pays taxes too, so she has every right to be hired. People trusted her as director and kids liked her. so she was hired back. What's the problem? Or do you just like running your mouth? I did hear that certain parents making problems did not help the program. Some people just can't be satisfied. My kids had no problem with her.
Also, maybe the clerk makes more money then some of the workers because she has been there much longer. I found out what she is paid and it's not worth what she puts up with. And she does not make more than the ones that were there longer. This is public knlowledge, maybe you should have checked it out first. And the clerk was there quite a few years before the mayor was on board. He does not make any decisions about her pay or raises. So go bury your head in the sand idiot.
disappointed parent

Saranac Lake, NY

#11 Jun 22, 2014
I am so sad to see all these comments being made. I moved to this small town for the reason being that I wanted to raise my family in a small community where I thought they would benefit from all the nice things and nice people that small towns have to offer. My children love this school and loved the summer rec program. They are going to truely miss that program this year. Some days I would tell my kids why don't you stay home today with me and they said no we can't miss summer rec. They loved the staff and the kids and couldn't get enough of it. My daughter gotsick one day and the director called me and I came and got her. My daughter said that the director never left her side and said nice things to make her feel better till I got there. My son was very shy and had a hard te when he first started going and the staff was so great with him and it wasn't long and I couldn't keep him away. I think this program benefited many families in many ways. Although this wasn't my case , if it helped a parent with chil care then so be it. Why can't we all come together and help each other out. This was a great program and its sad that its gone and especially going out in such a negative manner. I would lke to thank the village and the school and the great staff for doing great thing for our kids. After all the kids are what it's all about. Please stop the negativity and come together!
Clerk

Saranac Lake, NY

#12 Jun 23, 2014
To put this issue straight. The Village worked on the budget very hard and the rec program was a huge discussion. Nobody wanted to see the program end. The village did budget enough for the village children but with department of health regulations they would have had to hire more staff then they could afford. There are many more rules then there used to be. They did contact surrounding townships and were not able to get the extra funding needed. The village is willing to bring the program back if funding allows. I believe this program was a huge asset to the village residents that was supported and utilized by many. It's very sad to see it go.
As for the hiring process, it's a small village and most everyone is related in one way or another. That is the same in all villages. There were never any complaints regarding former director before now and people complain about board members yet they don't run for office theirselves. The clerk is not paid more than all employees, only the ones who have been there a year or less. The clerk 15 years. The clerk is paid less than most clerks since the clerk is also the treasurer. The mayor does NOT make decisions regarding clerks pay and clerk is salary so pay and hours do not change without board decision. With board meetings included in salary pay, the clerk works only a few hours less then dpw staff. These are the facts. It's very sad to see it end with negative comments.
Recreation supporter

Saranac Lake, NY

#13 Jun 23, 2014
My child went to the summer program for the past couple years. I think the program, the staff and the village did a wonderful job. It has nothing to do with who is related to who, it's who does a good job and is willing to keep going back. I couldn't do it. Kudos to the village, staff members, clerk and school for putting on a program that was to benefit the children in our community. Would love to see people rally together to bring it back.
bill

Ravena, NY

#14 Jun 28, 2014
Any program that gives our children an alternative to being on the streets is a good program.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Drum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Seen a grey and brown striped male cat? 6 hr Lostcat 1
News Heated discussion held at Champion meeting over... May 18 Bull Dog 1
News Parishville Town Council opposes wind developme... Dec '17 judge it 1
News Elwin David Green (Oct '09) Jul '17 Reg 4
Poker game!! (Dec '16) Dec '16 MIKEtheSTEELHEADER 1
Were we awarded the CIB in Somalia??? (Feb '08) Nov '16 ArmyFireDept 2
News DWI charges lodged (Oct '16) Oct '16 ROFL 1

Fort Drum Jobs

Personal Finance

Fort Drum Mortgages