Army Sergeant One Of Victims in Downtown Shooting Spree

Full story: WGRZ Buffalo

One of the victim's of Sunday's shooting spree outside a Buffalo nightclub is a 26-year-old Army Sergeant, and father of two.
Comments
61 - 79 of 79 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Ron T

Niagara Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#62
Jan 20, 2008
 
Regardless if you are white, black, orange or purple, murder is murder. A bullet does not see color and it does not discriminate ...only the shooter has the eyes to hunt his prey!

A gun can be placed on a on a table loaded for one hundred years and it will NOT magically jump up and fire.

IMO, I think the nation needs an overhaul of the school system so the illiteracy rates is diminished. Why? Because the folks that couldn't care less about education seem to be the victims of stupidity. "I sell drugs to make mise living man." (spell incorrectly to prove my point). No, you sell drugs you dumb a s s because you are illiterate and can't find a decent job that supports your corrupted life style.

Just my opnion.

Ron T
Founder
www.ipranked.com
Mary

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#63
Jan 20, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

Please, let's not forget that this Army sgt. was not innocent himself. He went AWOL from the Army how long ago? Karma got him...got him CAUGHT! And, facing drug charges? My brother and sister in law were in the military and agree that this was his way of being found for his lack of loyalty to the armed forces.
Serena Holmes

Niagara Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#64
Jan 20, 2008
 
I am very sorry that you feel that way...but i would like to tell you that because of his past or bad choices he has taken, he was not shot because of his affliation with drugs in watertown. He was shot as an innocent by stander, so no matter what the crime down there has to stop because next time it could be someone sister, mother, aunt, brother, uncle, cousin, father, or grandparents. So sir I applaud you on the crime but am upset about your comment of taking people out of the ghetto. Its not where you came from, it is how you are raised and choices you make as an adult that reflects your actions. crime is everywhere! Instead of looking down on kids from poverty homes, we should reach out and show them there are opportunities out there. I am an positive example; I am a sergeant in the us army, with two kids and a BA in Business Administration...so talk what you know not what you think. Very Respectfully, Charles Holmes Wife
Serena Holmes

Niagara Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#65
Jan 20, 2008
 

Judged:

1

I have read 41 of 63 comments posted. My response as his wife to everyone: My husband did have a drug charge but it did not have anything to do with buffalo, he was going to jail for his crime that he committed by hisself monday.( answer #1 No one was trying to retaliate and shoot him over drugs.) My husband was indeed AWOL, and tim if you was in the army you would know how the system work and he was just tired of waiting to get chapter out.( answer #2 His actions for AWOL were foolish but have no connections to him getting shot) I would say the army has taught him alot or they would have not promoted him to sergeant, so please do not say he has not learned anything.( answer #3 He learned a great deal, but chose not to live by the Army 7 values) Do not say my husband was not a good father, cause no matter how pissed i was at him for his foolish actions, our children were number one to him!( answer #4 He was in buffalo saturday shopping for our kids b4 leaving us on the following monday, the club/bar thing was just something that came up...so are you telling me married people, or people with children cannot have a drink or hang out with their friends once in a while?) The thug comments... He was not a thug...a dumb person? yes for making a mistake of trying to sell drugs and going awol but never a bad father to his/our children. and note to everyone...every marriage has it's up and downs, this happens to be my hill down. but remember it is not how you fall, its how you get up from that fall.(answer #5 you'll have to figure it out for yourself) And for all the comments about the hiphop culture/ clubs and ghetto people...There will be no comments, because that mean I will have to stoop to your level of prejudice ( to prejudge) against culture/race/age/income levels. If you love your city, Buffalo, you will fight for your city safety and try to stop the violence. Show young inner city kids that there is life outside of qoute "the ghetto". HipHop clubs are not are reason for violence, maybe some security of the clubs for not checking proper ID's and letting underage kids in. But Fight to take weapons off the street, fight to take drugs off the street, start campaigns to let children know there is life beyond poverty and violence. As parents talk to your children, teach your children and show them there is hope! Everyone from the ghetto is not and I know, is not ghetto. I am a sergeant in the army also like my husband, I am not awol, I have served in Iraq, I love my two children and have occasionally went to bars with my friends, I do not sell or do drugs nor commend people who do,I own my house in watertown, ny, I currently live in a beautiful neighborhood, I am not stupid, I can read and write and have a BA in Business Administration and yes I am a product of the ghetto... And I will teach and show my children how to become strong independent adults.
So please dont prejudge my husband unless you know him.
HE WAS AN INNOCENT BY STANDER, NO MATTER WHAT HE DONE IN HIS PAST...I KNOW HE WAS INNOCENT...PEOPLE IN THE STREET TALK TO ME B4 THEY WILL EVER TALK TO THE COPS...SO I KNOW, AND BECAUSE OF THIS WE NEED TO BREAK THE STOP SNITCHING CODE IN POVERTY/GHETTO/RURAL/BAD AREAS!
Tim

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#66
Jan 21, 2008
 
Serena Holmes wrote:
I am very sorry that you feel that way...but i would like to tell you that because of his past or bad choices he has taken, he was not shot because of his affliation with drugs in watertown. He was shot as an innocent by stander, so no matter what the crime down there has to stop because next time it could be someone sister, mother, aunt, brother, uncle, cousin, father, or grandparents. So sir I applaud you on the crime but am upset about your comment of taking people out of the ghetto. Its not where you came from, it is how you are raised and choices you make as an adult that reflects your actions. crime is everywhere! Instead of looking down on kids from poverty homes, we should reach out and show them there are opportunities out there. I am an positive example; I am a sergeant in the us army, with two kids and a BA in Business Administration...so talk what you know not what you think. Very Respectfully, Charles Holmes Wife
You applaud me for the crime???!!! What the hell is that supposed to mean? Are you saying the crime was a job well done? Why would you applaud a crime?
I agree that a child is a product of his environment, child rearing and choices he makes as an adult. Unfortunately, it shows that he was not raised in a home where common sense prevailed. It is HIS fault he did not learn from the mistakes made by his parents. It is HIS fault he made the choices he did to end up in the situation he's in. It is HIS fault that he didn't capitalize on the training, education and discipline the military has to offer. It is HIS fault that he was unable to leave the "THUG LIFE" behind, when he had a structured life(for once) and a future to look forward to.
I don't believe that any one on this forum looks down on people who live in poverty, per se. They have very strong opinions about people in poverty who DO NOTHING to help themselves, and resort to crime and welfare to make a living. This pisses everyone off, because it is the honest, hardworking, taxpayer who is left holding the bag to support these people financially. I'm sorry to say, that your husband is now one of them. I would much rather spend my tax dollars to pay for his salary and training in the military, than to support his azz in jail!!!
You most certainly picked the wrong person to direct your angst about your husband's foolish actions to. I don't know if you have ever been to Buffalo, but I came from the very same ghetto that your husband did. Growing up on the East Side of Buffalo isn't easy for anyone, but, as you say it is all about the choices you make in life. I turned out just fine after many years of hard work, most coming from the discipline I learned in the military. Too bad your husband didn't give it a serious try.
In response to you saying that we should reach out to children in poverty, to a certain extent I agree. However, no one reached out to me and I made it on hard work and honesty alone. There are so many programs available to people in poverty to help them live a better life, but no one can make you attend them. Sometimes, you just have to get off of your azz to help yourself. So save your drivel about reaching out to people in poverty.
BEING POOR AND IMPOVERISHED IS NO EXCUSE FOR BEING STUPID AND LAZY!!!!!!!!!!
Tim

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#67
Jan 21, 2008
 
Your 2nd post makes little or no sense.
No one is blaming hip-hop music. It is the type of thugs that are drawn to these particular clubs who are to blame. I'm not going to reiterate my previous posts, just go back and read some of the more intelligent posts and you will see for yourself.
I do know how the Army works. AWOL is AWOL, for whatever reason. He was "tired of waiting to get chaptered out" is a translation for, in my opinion; laziness, cowardice and irresponsibility. Once again, bad choices. He knew what he was getting in for when he enlisted, or did he seriously think that he wouldn't have to go to war(personal opinions about the war are irrevelant at this point). Just so you know, going AWOL during a wartime conflict is considered treason. Your husband is FU**ED!!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but being promoted to SGT. is one of those things you get just for having enough time in the service.
I never personally commented on him being a bad father, but since you brought it up. If he knew he was going to jail on that Monday, why in the world would he spend his last weekend as a free man out in a different city partying all night long, instead of being at home with his wife and kids to say good-bye?? Oh, wait a minute, AWOL!!
Obviously, married people are allowed to hang out with their friends at a club once in a while, but common sense says, spend your last weekend as a free man with your family if you love them as much as you say!
About the thug comments. Your husband sold drugs, therefore, HE IS A THUG, PERIOD!!!
On a lighter note, I agree with your comments about being on the downhill of marriage right now. I can only wish you luck for you and your children. You sound like a caring person. This is your husband's fault, not yours!
By the way, thank you for your service to our country. Believe it or not, there are still people who appreciate it!!!
P.S. "hisself" is not a word. Having a college degree as you say, you should know better.
MIKMAKMOM

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#68
Jan 21, 2008
 
Serena Holmes wrote:
I am very sorry that you feel that way...but i would like to tell you that because of his past or bad choices he has taken, he was not shot because of his affliation with drugs in watertown. He was shot as an innocent by stander, so no matter what the crime down there has to stop because next time it could be someone sister, mother, aunt, brother, uncle, cousin, father, or grandparents. So sir I applaud you on the crime but am upset about your comment of taking people out of the ghetto. Its not where you came from, it is how you are raised and choices you make as an adult that reflects your actions. crime is everywhere! Instead of looking down on kids from poverty homes, we should reach out and show them there are opportunities out there. I am an positive example; I am a sergeant in the us army, with two kids and a BA in Business Administration...so talk what you know not what you think. Very Respectfully, Charles Holmes Wife
I dont think anyone is looking down on anyone. But I find it interesting that you admit your husband is involved with drugs, has a criminal background, is also AWOL, and still think he is a good father. He did not deserve to be shot, but now that his entire life is on display for the public to see, obviously he is going to be judged. Maybe you ought to reconsider your standards with what you will expose your children to?
Tim

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#69
Jan 21, 2008
 
MIKMAKMOM wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think anyone is looking down on anyone. But I find it interesting that you admit your husband is involved with drugs, has a criminal background, is also AWOL, and still think he is a good father. He did not deserve to be shot, but now that his entire life is on display for the public to see, obviously he is going to be judged. Maybe you ought to reconsider your standards with what you will expose your children to?
How true. It's amazing how she knew all of this, but still kept him around the kids. What a great example he must be setting!
MIKMAKMOM

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#70
Jan 21, 2008
 
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
How true. It's amazing how she knew all of this, but still kept him around the kids. What a great example he must be setting!
Well I guess as long as you are willing to admit the kids are yours it makes you a "great" father lol Cant be too picky ya know.
Just Wondering

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#71
Jan 21, 2008
 
Tim wrote:
No one is blaming hip-hop music. It is the type of thugs that are drawn to these particular clubs who are to blame. I'm not going to reiterate my previous posts, just go back and read some of the more intelligent posts and you will see for yourself.
I do not think that was directed towards you, but MANY other people have posted about it being Hip-hop music so I think that was directed to anyone who said that. And it just isn't the music that draws out what you call "thugs," it is the lifestyle of being around others, alcohol drugs... music doesn't matter too much as long as there are oppurtunities to sell/take drugs, socialize, & drink. Hip hop music draws out some of the best individuals too.
Tim

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#72
Jan 21, 2008
 
Just Wondering, I like your style.
I have said earlier that I do not think the music itself is the problem. This is the age old question; Does music cause people to worship the devil, kill themselves, kill others, do drugs,etc, etc. I personally think the answer is no.
Also, I've said that I do not think this is necessarily an issue of race. Not all black people are thugs(not to say that only black people are thugs). Black people frequent bars in the 'burbs and this type of behavior doesn't happen there. Your average black person(just like your average white person, average hispanic, and so on...), likes to go out to a club to have a few drinks, hang out with friends, dance and socialize. They expect to have a good time and return home safe at the end of the night.
Now, add to the mix, a club where hip-hop is the primary draw, lax security and valid ID checks, and this has the potential to bring the thugs out of the woodwork.
This has been a recipe for disaster downtown. Too bad they didn't learn anything from the successful black barowners in Buffalo. How do you think some of these places have stayed in business and successful for so long?
Take places like The New Humboldt Inn, The Golden Nuggett, Lee's Lounge or Johnnie's Golden Glove. These are all bars that have been around since I was a kid. They cater to a crowd of patrons that are 99% black. On very rare occasions, you hear about violence outside of these places, but no more than any other bar.
How is it they are able to stay in business so long? They take measures to keep out the thug element, even though that means turning away black patrons. These black business owners, turn away black customers, just to keep their business safe for their honest customers who are there to act civilized and have a good time.
Every one of these establishments has a sign on the front door emphasizing a dress code and a minimum age limit of 25. Don't tell me that this hasn't been effective! These places have been around for more than 20 years.
Whatever

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#73
Aug 22, 2008
 
Tim, it is easily for people to judge people on what they read. Uhm but like i have said before, you dont know him...so please do not try to judge him. The drugs and awol was a crime he committed in 06...and never went back to. Also the army do not promote people because of years in service, you have to go to schools, and go to promotion boards to be reccommended. "hisself", thanks but i never said i had a english degree...lol, im sure im not the only person that made a writing mistake....also you must read my statement wrong...I do not, in any way or form support what he did, like i said before he made a stupid mistake that he has to pay for....the only reason i comment was because of so many people saying he deserve it. But think if that bullet would of hit me? Then people would of thought it was a tragedy! I just want violence to stop period, and make a point that bars and clubs need to have proper security...I am not trying to support my husband in his bad choices he have made. The point is, that he was an innocent by stander...and tim you must do not know anything about ghetto's or projects, because thugs are different than drug dealers, and gang bangers.
wow

Jamesville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#74
Sep 3, 2008
 
This is exactly why big cities and night clubs scare me. people get drunk or whatever and just take it out on anyone and everyone- I'm so sorry for people who had friends and families shot during this whole shananigan.
Life Coach

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#75
Sep 3, 2008
 
Ron T wrote:
It's to my understanding that the more serious victim was the target of the shooting and it was due to a retaliation. In addition, he has an arrest warrant (for drugs) pending in Watertown, NY. If this information is correct then the other victims are innocent bystanders to his intentional demise.
The people that retaliated knew about his whereabouts and waited for the opportunity to put him underground.
In response to security, bring back the Buffalo Special Police. The mayor and the police department needs to get their heads out of their asses and put the TRAINED volunteer police force back on the streets for a secure presence. I know, some knucklehead is going to write and comment about guns, wannabe cops etc; however these men and woman are trained (NYS Peace Officer training) and I have seen them patrolling Seneca Street. I am not suggesting that they return fire when shot at; however just the presence of a trained person in uniform will deter crime.
The Buffalo Police are swamped and each officer cannot be at multiple places at once!
Some are against this idea of the Buffalo Special Police; however are you against the idea of volunteer fireman and woman? Mmm!
Ron T
www.ipranked.com
As a matter of fact I DO have a problem with VOLNTEER cops.

Ask yourself something....Why would someone want to be a volunteer cop? The answer is that person cant get hired as a real cop.

And they are NUTS
Life Coach

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#76
Sep 3, 2008
 
charles

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#77
Sep 26, 2010
 
Ron T wrote:
It's to my understanding that the more serious victim was the target of the shooting and it was due to a retaliation. In addition, he has an arrest warrant (for drugs) pending in Watertown, NY. If this information is correct then the other victims are innocent bystanders to his intentional demise.
The people that retaliated knew about his whereabouts and waited for the opportunity to put him underground.
In response to security, bring back the Buffalo Special Police. The mayor and the police department needs to get their heads out of their asses and put the TRAINED volunteer police force back on the streets for a secure presence. I know, some knucklehead is going to write and comment about guns, wannabe cops etc; however these men and woman are trained (NYS Peace Officer training) and I have seen them patrolling Seneca Street. I am not suggesting that they return fire when shot at; however just the presence of a trained person in uniform will deter crime.
The Buffalo Police are swamped and each officer cannot be at multiple places at once!
Some are against this idea of the Buffalo Special Police; however are you against the idea of volunteer fireman and woman? Mmm!
Ron T
www.ipranked.com
this is charles from the shooting of that night and i was an inncoent bystander i have never ghad problems with no one in buffalo and to this day i dont have any problems with no one what i was facing in watertown had nothing to do with that night if you want the truth then you should get it from the source
Astonished

Aiken, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#78
Jul 7, 2011
 
My thoughts on Tim's post which I find to be remarkably ill informed for the most part with him saying he is ex military-

"As a man with a family, he would receive;
1.Housing stipend if he decided to live off of the military installation. This would include additional stipends for the # of children, and to pay for utilities. If he decided to live on the installation, he wouldn't have to pay ONE SINGLE NICKLE for rent or utilities."<<--- Somewhat true. this is based more on Rank than the number in your family although it does change a little bit with kids.Also it does not include the cost of utilities or the cell phones that are "highly suggested" which fyi is another way of saying mandatory without saying the actual word.
On post living has also changed. At some posts you do actually pay the utilities and at others you don't. It depends on how far along the privatized companies who now run it have gotten along with implementing it on that particular base.

" 2.Com missary stipend. This stipend is strictly for shopping at the base supermarket. This is based upon his family size. Basically, ALL of his food and household necessities are paid for."<-- I call BS on this one. My husband has been in for 8 yrs and this one I know to be a load of BS. None of this statement is true unless you include a single soldier or a soldier separated from his family on TDY and even then this would be a far off statement although you could possibly see it this way if you are simple minded.

3.At least 75% of college tuition paid if he so desired(which obviously he didn't).<--" Perhaps but when the heck do they have the time really? My husband is lucky when he gets to come home eat and go to sleep without being called back on post for some idiots in the barracks fighting over a lemon.

" 4.Com plete and total health and dental benefits."
^^--- Health insurance wise does not cover everything period.Also this does not include dental unless you pay for it each month.Even with that you still have co-pays and some things the dental insurance does not cover.

"5.Guaranteed employment for life, without the fear of layoff."<-- depends on if you loose your freakin mind,blow out a knee and so forth.

"6.Guaranteed pension after retirement." <--I can agree with this one.

"The ONLY thing he was responsible to pay for, are vanity and luxury items. Otherwise, he was completely and utterly taken care of.
If he couldn't live on the items I have just listed, that is his stupidity.
It is unfortunate, but no one's fault but his own, that he was unable to leave the ghetto thug life behind!!! "<<-- you are so FOS. Seriously when were you in the military? Have you seen how much above BAH the rental prices in Watertown go? Do not give me the rent a cheaper place BS either. Sometimes it isn't possible to find a cheaper place depending on the size of your family and even your rank.
Military do actually have to manage their bills and not everything is a luxury item such as a way to get their happy hineys back and forth to work. He was not able to get a 2nd job. The military is the only job they can have at a time. Most do not go to their higher ups for help for fear of counseling statements and the possibility of cut pay,busted rank and so forth. So tell me again how the heck those members are supposed to even ask for advise from superiors without some serious backlash?
I am not saying this guy was a good or bad father but you can be a loving and caring father even with a drug habit. Mine was. No he was not the greatest but he was a heck of a lot better than some of the folks I had seen where all their Dad did was stay home and make their lives living hell regardless of being drunk or not.
Tim

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#79
Jul 7, 2011
 
Astonished wrote:
My thoughts on Tim's post which I find to be remarkably ill informed for the most part with him saying he is ex military-
Wanna really be astonished? How about I cram my monster down your throat?
rose

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#80
Sep 10, 2011
 
Serena Holmes wrote:
I have read 41 of 63 comments posted. My response as his wife to everyone: My husband did have a drug charge but it did not have anything to do with buffalo, he was going to jail for his crime that he committed by hisself monday.( answer #1 No one was trying to retaliate and shoot him over drugs.) My husband was indeed AWOL, and tim if you was in the army you would know how the system work and he was just tired of waiting to get chapter out.( answer #2 His actions for AWOL were foolish but have no connections to him getting shot) I would say the army has taught him alot or they would have not promoted him to sergeant, so please do not say he has not learned anything.( answer #3 He learned a great deal, but chose not to live by the Army 7 values) Do not say my husband was not a good father, cause no matter how pissed i was at him for his foolish actions, our children were number one to him!( answer #4 He was in buffalo saturday shopping for our kids b4 leaving us on the following monday, the club/bar thing was just something that came up...so are you telling me married people, or people with children cannot have a drink or hang out with their friends once in a while?) The thug comments... He was not a thug...a dumb person? yes for making a mistake of trying to sell drugs and going awol but never a bad father to his/our children. and note to everyone...every marriage has it's up and downs, this happens to be my hill down. but remember it is not how you fall, its how you get up from that fall.(answer #5 you'll have to figure it out for yourself) And for all the comments about the hiphop culture/ clubs and ghetto people...There will be no comments, because that mean I will have to stoop to your level of prejudice ( to prejudge) against culture/race/age/income levels. If you love your city, Buffalo, you will fight for your city safety and try to stop the violence. Show young inner city kids that there is life outside of qoute "the ghetto". HipHop clubs are not are reason for violence, maybe some security of the clubs for not checking proper ID's and letting underage kids in. But Fight to take weapons off the street, fight to take drugs off the street, start campaigns to let children know there is life beyond poverty and violence. As parents talk to your children, teach your children and show them there is hope! Everyone from the ghetto is not and I know, is not ghetto. I am a sergeant in the army also like my husband, I am not awol, I have served in Iraq, I love my two children and have occasionally went to bars with my friends, I do not sell or do drugs nor commend people who do,I own my house in watertown, ny, I currently live in a beautiful neighborhood, I am not stupid, I can read and write and have a BA in Business Administration and yes I am a product of the ghetto... And I will teach and show my children how to become strong independent adults.
So please dont prejudge my husband unless you know him.
HE WAS AN INNOCENT BY STANDER, NO MATTER WHAT HE DONE IN HIS PAST...I KNOW HE WAS INNOCENT...PEOPLE IN THE STREET TALK TO ME B4 THEY WILL EVER TALK TO THE COPS...SO I KNOW, AND BECAUSE OF THIS WE NEED TO BREAK THE STOP SNITCHING CODE IN POVERTY/GHETTO/RURAL/BAD AREAS!
sorry that that happened to youre family ! People will talk bs no matter where you live ,look at El paso TX & NM with the Border stuff going on! Hope things work out for you !

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Fort Drum Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fort Drum People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fort Drum News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fort Drum
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••