Military is changing view of gays

Military is changing view of gays

There are 21 comments on the www.boston.com story from Jun 14, 2010, titled Military is changing view of gays. In it, www.boston.com reports that:

The day after Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced in March that the military would ease enforcement of its "don't ask, don't tell'' policy, a 21-year-old soldier in Baghdad learned that he had been outed by a fellow service member.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.boston.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#1 Jun 14, 2010
A perfect example of how to transition after the repeal. The gay man in Baghdad is known to be gay within his unit and they are just going about their business as usual, no separate quarters, no separate showers. What a surprise, how easy that was.
Equality for ALL

San Francisco, CA

#2 Jun 14, 2010
"Moran, who is endorsed by the conservative Church of God, recently received guidance from his denomination declaring that homosexuality is a sin. But he said his church’s policy wouldn’t prevent him from serving and preaching in a military with openly gay soldiers."

The bible is a book of FAITH, not FACT !! These religious conservatives just continue to cherry-pick it and oppress others based on it ...
Jake

Madison Heights, MI

#3 Jun 14, 2010
“Will someone be able to teach a Bible study in which they say homosexuality is immoral?" asked retired Brigadier General Douglas Lee.“I think there is a high probability that it could be challenged."

Duh. It should be. Preachers also used to use the bible to justify slavery and treatment of women as property.

Anyone who's afraid of showering with a fellow gay soldier must be really self-involved and have a microscopic penis. No one's got the time (or desire) to gawk at each other in the showers in the middle of a war.
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#4 Jun 14, 2010
I can't help but think of Arthur Miller's THE CRUCIBLE when I read these articles - here was a fellow about to be outed by somone who supposedly was part of his own organization... with friends like that, who needs enemies?

Anyone else smell a witch-hunt?
Leftatalbuquerqu e

Toronto, Canada

#5 Jun 14, 2010
Equality for ALL wrote:
"Moran, who is endorsed by the conservative Church of God, recently received guidance from his denomination declaring that homosexuality is a sin. But he said his church’s policy wouldn’t prevent him from serving and preaching in a military with openly gay soldiers."
The bible is a book of FAITH, not FACT !! These religious conservatives just continue to cherry-pick it and oppress others based on it ...
And they wear cheap clothes!! All polyester/cotton blends!!! Time for a stonin' methinks!!!
dicky

Jacksonville, NC

#6 Jun 14, 2010
the gay men in the service have been there since the 1700's and have done pretty well,, what is the big deal now NOT to kick them out. Other countries have and recruited gays for a long time and have no problem,, the ones against it are closet gays who don't want to come out, straight guys are not really concerned as it has nothing to do with them!

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#7 Jun 14, 2010
"The request prompted unit commanders to open an investigation, and the soldier, whose action appeared to be an act of protest, could be dismissed from the military, Army officials said."

yes!!!!!!!!!! EQUALITY FOR ALL!

Since: May 09

United States

#8 Jun 14, 2010
When is our government going to stop catering to the Christian religion at the expense of other spiritual paths or the choice of no path at all? The Christian religion is not the only fish in the barrel and it is past time it and the government realized this. If any Christian of any stripe began to shove their propaganda down my gut they would get an earful. And I know for a fact many in service feel the same. Christians need to learn to give the rest of us the respect they want from us. Until they do we need to give back what we get from them. And they need to keep their bigotry to themselves.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#9 Jun 14, 2010
Equality for ALL wrote:
The problem is holy-rollers only pick and choose which scripture to follow. These chaplins have no problem serving in a military with guys who are committing adultery, I mean why bother with the Ten Commandments when you can use the Bible to justify your hatred of homosexuals?

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#10 Jun 14, 2010
btw, the man who helped start the US Army, who was hired by Washington himself, had been kicked out of the Prussian army for being a homosexual. It's unreal our army was shaped by a homosexual and our first president hired him knowing he was a homosexual yet we're going through this crap today. Washington would roll over in his grave seeing religion used to shape our country's laws, our military policies and to deny equal rights for our citizens.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#11 Jun 14, 2010
I've never heard of any straight men refusing to join a gym because there may be gay men using the same locker room!

If it works so seamlessly in the real world, why not in the army too?

“Choose wisely!”

Since: Jul 07

Los Angeles

#12 Jun 14, 2010
Equality for ALL wrote:
I think proselytizing in the military is strictly prohibited. You're not allowed to preach to your fellow soldiers/airmen/seaman per the UCMJ.

Eric
American Citizen

United States

#13 Jun 23, 2010
The Miltary needs to do a better background check on it Officers, not the gay people. Investigate the thugs and criminals that lead our young men and call themselves leaders. You may be surprised what they would find.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#14 Jun 24, 2010
American Citizen wrote:
The Miltary needs to do a better background check on it Officers, not the gay people. Investigate the thugs and criminals that lead our young men and call themselves leaders. You may be surprised what they would find.
With 2 wars going on they need bodies and combat tends to turn thugs into men and women.
The Virgin Queen

Miami, FL

#15 Jun 24, 2010
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
With 2 wars going on they need bodies and combat tends to turn thugs into men and women.
Or they need to end the two wars.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#16 Jun 24, 2010
The Virgin Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Or they need to end the two wars.
I'm okay with that. Imagine if we spent the same amount of money we do on the 2 Wars paying off the debt of each State.

Eric
The Virgin Queen

Miami, FL

#17 Jun 24, 2010
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm okay with that. Imagine if we spent the same amount of money we do on the 2 Wars paying off the debt of each State.
Eric
Or maybe establishing socialized healthcare? Oops, that's unchristian and unamerican of me to say. Better our tax dollars be spent waging war instead of healing the sick.

“Choose wisely!”

Los Angeles

#18 Jun 24, 2010
The Virgin Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe establishing socialized healthcare? Oops, that's unchristian and unamerican of me to say. Better our tax dollars be spent waging war instead of healing the sick.
Suggesting socialized healthcare is not only unchristian and unamerican of you, it's keeping right in line with the teachings of Jesus - and well ... we just can't have people going around willy-nilly being charitable, kind, taking care of the sick and poor, etc. Next thing you know people will be healthier and working more, being more productive employees, paying more taxes, spending more - and then random acts of kindness will break out and people will start getting along. After that, we're done for.

Imagine too if Swaggert, Falwell, Robertson, Roberts and others had taken their wealth and given it to the poor, which is exactly what Jesus asked of them.

Eric
The Virgin Queen

Miami, FL

#19 Jun 24, 2010
gemelk wrote:
<quoted text>
Suggesting socialized healthcare is not only unchristian and unamerican of you, it's keeping right in line with the teachings of Jesus - and well ... we just can't have people going around willy-nilly being charitable, kind, taking care of the sick and poor, etc. Next thing you know people will be healthier and working more, being more productive employees, paying more taxes, spending more - and then random acts of kindness will break out and people will start getting along. After that, we're done for.
Imagine too if Swaggert, Falwell, Robertson, Roberts and others had taken their wealth and given it to the poor, which is exactly what Jesus asked of them.
Eric
That would be a good point to bring up the next time you're being Topix-banged by an evangelical. I would love to know the answers myself.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#20 Jun 24, 2010
The Virgin Queen wrote:
<quoted text>
VQ you are making me so happy lately there may still be hope for you my friend:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Drum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Lowville attorney plans challenge of two-term L... Aug 26 just watch 13
what do we think of fort drum soldiers (Mar '11) Aug 21 Vyv 45
Evans Mills woman accused of identity theft Aug 21 Concerned 3
Review: KC Nails & SPA (Dec '12) Aug 19 Becky 4
News Carthage woman accused of breaking into Denmark... Aug 18 karmagetsyou 1
Tires for the race team Aug 16 Anonymous 11
CVFD Comptroller Audit Aug 16 old timer 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Drum Mortgages