Former 801 complexes faltering

Apr 3, 2008 Full story: Watertown Daily Times 23

“There's just been people saying there's a shortage for a long time”

Earlier this year, the Army stopped leasing more than 1,500 housing units, ending participation in the national Section 801 program. via Watertown Daily Times

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hiiii

Canajoharie, NY

#1 Apr 4, 2008
ya and now they charging so much for rent that no one can afford to rent them I bet they only have about 6 places rented and the rest are gonna rot
BROTHER PAUL

Rome, NY

#2 Sep 28, 2008
as time goes on things seem to change very quickly.
Is it my amagination or is the 801 housing starting to look more like a public housing project / welfare?
1who knows

United States

#3 Sep 28, 2008
BROTHER PAUL wrote:
as time goes on things seem to change very quickly.
Is it my amagination or is the 801 housing starting to look more like a public housing project / welfare?
That's because some of the people that live there are on some form of assistance,disability, etc. That is the only way they could rent these places, lowering the rent and adding perks. It's a better deal than Valley View or Lowville Heights. You get a garage, w/d, dishwasher, plus heat is included.
LOVIN LEWIS COUNTY

Rome, NY

#4 Sep 28, 2008
Well I guess it is one way to at least rent them than let them sit. At least the owner will be able to pay the property tax as well as the school tax.
Just one more thought, if he rents to the disabled / welfare and I am not against that in any way...does the owner receive some kind of payback or the most common term ,,Kick back?
I just hope that he maintains it as the way he or she bought it, and not let it go to pot.
I hope that the tenants that occupy the units take a bit of pride and try their best to keep them up and the way that they found them when they took possession.

“goodby”

Since: Jun 08

Rome, NY

#5 Sep 28, 2008
oh come on no one on welfare pays that much rent. you people are really getting on my nerves no one in the old 801 is on assistance . the rent there is astronomical . i say let them falter and go under. good by to the crooks
1who knows

United States

#6 Sep 29, 2008
busy bodie wrote:
oh come on no one on welfare pays that much rent. you people are really getting on my nerves no one in the old 801 is on assistance . the rent there is astronomical . i say let them falter and go under. good by to the crooks
Boy are you misinformed! I KNOW a couple that live there and they are BOTH on SSI!!!They pay $850 a month with everything included.
oh man

Gloversville, NY

#7 Sep 29, 2008
They pay $850 a month for a 1 bedroom. that they got during the one month special. after the year is up NOTHING is included.They do not accept housing or any other help to pay for rent.how do I know? my friend moved in during that ONE month special.
Granny

Caroga Lake, NY

#8 Sep 29, 2008
There are no 1 bedrooms, only 2, 3 and 4 bdr..
oh man

Gloversville, NY

#9 Sep 29, 2008
I am sry granny, I did type that wrong it was a 2 bedroom. I did know that for I am a military family and lived there when it was military. just typed it and didnt realize it.
Granny

Caroga Lake, NY

#10 Sep 29, 2008
Roger that Oh Man.
BROTHER PAUL

Rome, NY

#11 Oct 2, 2008
"OH MAN"

Please tell us what your friend is going to due once the year is up & the true rent shows up?
oh man

Gloversville, NY

#12 Oct 2, 2008
To be honest, she has no idea. She said, she can hardly afford it now,With food prices,a nd gas as high as they are, she has no idea what she will do when it is not included.
1who knows

United States

#13 Oct 2, 2008
BROTHER PAUL wrote:
"OH MAN"
Please tell us what your friend is going to due once the year is up & the true rent shows up?
They never should have moved in, if that was the deal.If something looks to good to be true, it probably is.

Since: Sep 08

Cortland, NY

#14 Oct 2, 2008
a military friend of mine lives at the old 801s in Copenhagen... it's 795 for a 2 bedroom with all utilities included. he says that even though it's not "military housing" anymore- the majority of renters are still military or divorced husbands and wives from the area. is this information completely factual? i'm not positive but I trust my source. & yes, when I visit him I do see some places that look a lil "drabby" but i'm not talking in re: to maintenance or whatever, I mean the way some of the residents keep their places. but who am I to judge? just an observation.
Granny

Caroga Lake, NY

#15 Oct 3, 2008
Upsie Daisy wrote:
a military friend of mine lives at the old 801s in Copenhagen... it's 795 for a 2 bedroom with all utilities included. he says that even though it's not "military housing" anymore- the majority of renters are still military or divorced husbands and wives from the area. is this information completely factual? i'm not positive but I trust my source. & yes, when I visit him I do see some places that look a lil "drabby" but i'm not talking in re: to maintenance or whatever, I mean the way some of the residents keep their places. but who am I to judge? just an observation.
That's probably very true that most are miitary, as they are the ones most able to afford it. The Army has raised their housing allowances to over $1,000 a month and up depending on rank. I'm not suggesting that's a bad thing for the Soldiers - heck, for what they do everyday, while here and while deployed, they deserve it, but it creates a tremendous hardship for John Q. Public, who has NO housing allowance. And it's been a vicious circle for years. Housing allowance (BAH) goes up, rent goes up and on and on. I am about 100% certain that Copenhagen has the same deal as Lowville, i.e. utilities included for the first year. Besides getting their occupancy up when the Army leases ended,- some of them were down to single digit %- they didn't have the individual metering in place for separate billing. They may still not, I don't know. If I recall, Copenhagen is heated with propane with several centralized (buried, I think) large tanks, and that's tougher to separate. Has anyone noticed any excavation going on? When Lowville got natural gas in town the 801 put in separate utiities in anticipation of the Army's 20 year lease ending. I am sypathetic to a point, but like what was said earlier, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. DC Associates may be willing to negotiate at leases end, if they are fearful that there will be (asnother) mass exodus of tenants.
Melissa

Ithaca, NY

#16 Dec 8, 2008
I agree that it's a mess for John Q Public, but you have to remember that there is a reason our BAH goes up. I came from Dallas had a higher BAH and paid less in rent for a 2 bedroom house in a nice neighborhood. You would think for 1100 a month you would atleast get a fence for your backyard. The former 801 housing is ripping everybody off, but they have us by the proverbial short hairs in that when my husband got here in July there was no post housing open and there wasn't anything else that was close to post. Oh and utilities are not included in our rent, atleast not at Woodcliff, one half has to pay the rental agency 233 a month and the other half is national grid now, the half that pays the management office is getting ready to switch to National Grid. I know that when our lease ends and we take housing I will be a very happy camper.
Melissa

Ithaca, NY

#17 Dec 8, 2008
Excuse me that was a 3 bedroom house lol. That had a bigger fenced yard and a 2 car garage.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#18 Dec 11, 2008
1who knows wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because some of the people that live there are on some form of assistance,disability, etc. That is the only way they could rent these places, lowering the rent and adding perks. It's a better deal than Valley View or Lowville Heights. You get a garage, w/d, dishwasher, plus heat is included.
last i knew they didnt except housing. most people i see living there a single and have roomates people cant afford those prices.
Zee

Cortland, NY

#19 Feb 12, 2009
Actually the Lowville 801 housing its 800 a month for two bedrooms and everything is included but tv and phone. They are well maintained and are refinished inside.
royal pain

Constableville, NY

#20 Aug 29, 2010
busy bodie wrote:
you spelt good bye wrong :-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Drum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kim pate 23 hr big mouth 6
Jiu jutsu nation is full of drug users Nov 24 darknight 2
the pet zone watertown mall (Nov '12) Nov 22 rebecca 17
Erick R. James Nov 17 Tracy 1
New Law Signed by Coumo Nov 15 surprised 4
Why no strip clubs in Watertown? (Mar '10) Nov 12 solo 29
Watertown man charged with weapons, drug posses... Nov 11 Karma 1
Fort Drum Dating
Find my Match

Fort Drum People Search