Binding arbitration change could limit union bargaining power

Feb 8, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Watertown Daily Times

A proposal limiting to 2 percent the pay raises firefighter and police unions are able to get in arbitrated contracts with 'fiscally distressed' communities is being billed as a way to help struggling communities remain solvent.

Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Feb 12, 2013
SoundzGuud

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Good. These lazy union hacks make too much anyways.
Dr No

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes I am a union worker and I am lazy but that's why I pay union dues. 2% is not a raise, that doesn't cover the cost of living for the year.
GotTheShaft

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Judged:

Yes, you are a Union worker, and the UNION makes to much. When are you idiots going to learn that there is no need for unions in todays world. No company is going to make you work 20 hours a day for 39 cents an hour.

Unions have been obsolete foe years. I got out a long time ago and never took another job that had a Union. I have stayed working while others in various unions have lost their jobs (GM Powertrain is on place)

But the union fatasses are still riding around in $ 200,000 cars and living in million dollar homes with $7 per hour home staff, while wearing their Rolex and gold jewelry - all on YOUR money.

Right to work, get the unions busted and disbanded. Listen to the union suckers whining over the healthcare law they helped get passed. Now they want to be exempt from paying for it when the $ 7 per hour people have to.
Dr No

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

GotTheShaft wrote:
Yes, you are a Union worker, and the UNION makes to much. When are you idiots going to learn that there is no need for unions in todays world. No company is going to make you work 20 hours a day for 39 cents an hour.

Unions have been obsolete foe years. I got out a long time ago and never took another job that had a Union. I have stayed working while others in various unions have lost their jobs (GM Powertrain is on place)

But the union fatasses are still riding around in $ 200,000 cars and living in million dollar homes with $7 per hour home staff, while wearing their Rolex and gold jewelry - all on YOUR money.

Right to work, get the unions busted and disbanded. Listen to the union suckers whining over the healthcare law they helped get passed. Now they want to be exempt from paying for it when the $ 7 per hour people have to.
That's the price we have to pay to make good money so be it. Of coarse their always someone out their making money off the working class and their isn't anything you can do about it but live with it. I would never go non- union, I seen what can happen without some union protection.Yes their are some good paying non-union jobs out their but they are rare.
union worker

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

im in the building trades and you say we make to much. explain to me then how a union contractor bid on a job can be less than nonunion? if a nonunoin contractor is more money whats that say for them.if union are lazy and overpaid that would leed to more man hours on the job.and a higher bid price.how many nonunion workers get what they should. look up the prevailing wage for your trade and do you get that on state funded jobs?? i have worked both sides in the same trade and im very glad i choose to go union.
Power Train

Ogdensburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

GotTheShaft wrote:
Ignorance and frustration. Corporate America knows that the only thing left to balme their greed on is pointing the finger at the Unions. Unions provide a livable wage. Outsourcing of jobs overseas with the NAFTA agreement has harmed America. The main interest for most corporations is PROFIT. There is only one thing America is more dependent upon than oil,.........Debt!

That is where all of your taxes are going to end up going. You are beginning to see it in the schools, in the state governement, in the local governement and in your paychecks. Don't get me started on the corruption within the Medicare and Medicaid systems and the welfare waste. Think presrciption drugs. Billion dollar industry. Want to live like the average Chinese citizen? Wonder if they make a livable wage. Educate yourself. Or STFU! Your choice.
homebody

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

GotTheShaft wrote:

You sound like a total fuc***g idiot! Guess your ok with making minimum wage and working your ass off so the man can get richer! This is what is wrong with you people. You don't fight for yourself then you bitch about how little you make! Then you have the nerve to say shit about the union worker that has stood up for himself and is making a decent wage. Your jealous. Get off your lazy ass and get a decent paying job!
GotTheShaft

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

homebody wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a total fuc***g idiot! Guess your ok with making minimum wage and working your ass off so the man can get richer! This is what is wrong with you people. You don't fight for yourself then you bitch about how little you make! Then you have the nerve to say shit about the union worker that has stood up for himself and is making a decent wage. Your jealous. Get off your lazy ass and get a decent paying job!
I don't work for minimum wage, and I am not angry about anything. I worked a 6 Union shops in my lifetime, and NOT ONE of the Unions was able to get any of the workers anything more than we were already getting, but we sure paid out a ton of Union dues. So - now read this carefully -(since not a single one of you did earlier), the UNION made too much money and the WORKERS got the shaft. The Union fatasses rode around in fancy cars with fancy watches and fancy jewelry (on men for christ sake), lived in very expensive homes with a minimum wage domestic staff while us WORKERS paid the $ 16.00 a week for NOTHING. Same thing when the Union tried to get into where my wife worked. She paid $ 11.00 a week for 3 years and not a single thing was gained. No more benefits, no higher pay, etc. Just giving $ 572.00 a year to a Union so they can set on their asses and say "we were not able to negotiate anything at this time".

I did not say ANYWHERE that the workers did not deserve the money. I said the @#%^$ Unions don't deserve the money.
Moron Wrangler

Gouverneur, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

union worker wrote:
im in the building trades and you say we make to much. explain to me then how a union contractor bid on a job can be less than nonunion? if a nonunoin contractor is more money whats that say for them.if union are lazy and overpaid that would leed to more man hours on the job.and a higher bid price.how many nonunion workers get what they should. look up the prevailing wage for your trade and do you get that on state funded jobs?? i have worked both sides in the same trade and im very glad i choose to go union.
The quote isn't less. The reason the job goes to the union is because that's how the politicians have it set up. A certain number of jobs have to go union regardless of cost. See, that's why your dues go to electing Democrats, so they can set up bullshit rules like that.. See how corruption works?
GotTheShaft

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

homebody wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't help it, I have to reply to this again.

"work your ass off so the man can get richer". That is such a stupid saying I don't even know where to begin.

Who is "the man"???????? You mean "the man" that had the idea to start the company? "the man" that put out the initial investment to build the company? "the man" who paid people to do a job when they didn't have the knowledge to do it correctly? "the man" that bought each and every item in his store with his own money when he started?

You see, if you are talking about "that man", then he has the right to set around and collect the fruits of HIS labor and HIS ideas and HIS investment when it pays off. You, as a Union worker are just bleeding more money away from "the man" that deserves it, paid for it and worked for it.

You are the parasite that causes GM, Chrysler, and others to get huge bailouts from retarded politicians BECAUSE of failed retirement plans, overbearing benefits packages and overpaid employees. YOU are the one who is sponging something for nothing. You a lowly employee, with no original ideas, no foresight and no common sense. You want to make YOUR fortune by sucking away the money that someone else earned. YOU are the one who can NOT get a decent paying job without hiding behind a Union to get you something extra for nothing. You are apparently not worth the amount of money you make, or you would not need a Union to get you more. You see, if you were WORTH more, you would be paid more and you wouldn't need the Union to get it.

I owned my own company until I retired, and if I hired someone I paid them. If they are a good employee and they actually show up, do their work and don't call in every other day, I paid them more. I gave them birthday bonuses, and paid days off, and sick time, and Holiday bonuses, etc. When they called in sick, they had better be sick. Because if I caught them calling in because they went hunting, or fishing, or drank too much the night before - then they do not work for me anymore. Then they have ALL the time they need to hunt, fish, and drink. Although they may no longer have enough money to do those activities.

Once there is a Union in a shop, these deadbeat pieces of shit can no longer be terminated for stupidity and laziness. Now that shop has to keep them working and pay them to hunt, fish and drink. And according to Union employees, that is OK.

You see, there is nothing that pissed me off more when I was working at a Union shop than these low life pricks calling in for no reason. Made of other union worker work harder to cover for their lazy asses.

And, if anyone had ever tried to get a useless Union in my business, I would have closed down and immediately stopped all business and liquidated all assets just to stop it from happening.

What Henry Ford should have done years ago..........
GotTheShaft

Potsdam, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2013

Judged:

union worker wrote:
Because the dumbocrats you guys vote into office make sure the unions get the bids.
yomoron

Cuba, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Not all unions are the same, if someone is not productive the contractor has the right to refuse to hire you.
My union gets us a raise every year. Might not be much, but it's a raise.
mr lawyer

Boonville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

none of you f**k heads know what your talkin about, what your union or scab
west 4th lake

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 12, 2013

Judged:

Unions create lazy workers that don't have to worry about pay for performance. F the unions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Fort Drum Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fort Drum People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••