Catholic teacher in Iowa fired after ...

Catholic teacher in Iowa fired after Facebook survey

There are 125 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 28, 2010, titled Catholic teacher in Iowa fired after Facebook survey. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
don jolio

Saint Paul, MN

#126 Jun 1, 2010
Vikings Fan wrote:
Private Catholic school! I guess if she did not believe in God, she should have looked for a job somewhere else.
have you tried looking for a job in this economy? They aren't exactly there for the taking. I'm sure she was a teacher looking for work and when she found a job she took it.
Vikings Fan

Rochester, MN

#127 Jun 1, 2010
don jolio wrote:
<quoted text>
have you tried looking for a job in this economy? They aren't exactly there for the taking. I'm sure she was a teacher looking for work and when she found a job she took it.
I understand your point. However, if she chooses a job in the private Catholic School as a teacher, keep your damn mouth shut if you don't believe in God. Since she opened her big mouth she deserves to get fired. Geez, how many times lately have people posting stuff on facebook got in trouble.
all call code

Saint Paul, MN

#128 Jun 1, 2010
Vikings Fan-- So you don't think it matters that she "opened her big mouth" off the clock--not on the job? She probably (and no I don't know this for fact) never said she didn't believe in god while at school.
P T Bull

Hopkins, MN

#129 Jun 1, 2010
Daniel Bliss wrote:
<quoted text>I see that you are inferring a lot from a little, and reading much which is not there. I agree; she is free to believe what she wants. However, Christianity, and most other religions, give no such freedom, once they are in their churches. Of course, you are free to believe otherwise. I'm not against religion; I'm against ignorance. I'm not a liberal. I'm not a conservative. I'm a freethinker. And as long as we are not a theocracy, I've the freedom to be just that.

Your thinking is indeed extremely free--to the point where you can't really connect the dots and make any sense. You are free to think and say whatever you want, and you flatter yourself that anyone might be threatened enough by your views to try to prevent them. I take it as a challenge to get you to see the flaws in your reasoning, but I am afraid that I will fail to do so.

One last time: a religion is a voluntary association of people who share a common belief. To say one ought to be 'free' to be a member of a group with shared beliefs yet not share those beliefs is preposterous, and I am simply using logic to point out that you have religious baggage and are unsuccesfully trying to conceal it by repeated uses of the word 'freedom'.

If you are implying that members of a religion are ignorant, I would simply suggest that your battle against ignorance ought to start at home. Like most liberals, you can't distinguish between what you consider ignorance and different opinions.
P T Bull

Hopkins, MN

#130 Jun 1, 2010
all call code wrote:
Vikings Fan-- So you don't think it matters that she "opened her big mouth" off the clock--not on the job? She probably (and no I don't know this for fact) never said she didn't believe in god while at school.

The weakness of that argument has been explained at least twice in the thread--but a dozen more times probably wouldn't help. Its amazing that those who do not believe in the catholic religion think the catholics should play by the rules of athiests. Its simply an attack on the church rather than a principled argument.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Dodge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Monster Trucks in Fort Dodge!!!!!! (Apr '11) Apr '17 Meguys 3
News The true Trump has emerged (Nov '15) Mar '17 Democrat 4
Steve king get Chinese prostitute in moscow Mar '17 Trump 3
News Contingent of Eagle Grove Community Members in ... (Jul '16) Jul '16 SickandTired 1
News Corrections board hires warden not knowing of O... (Jun '16) Jun '16 What 3
News Humboldt city council provides $200,000 for hou... (May '16) May '16 SickandTired 1
News Lungren Wind farm developers plan solar energy ... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Solarman 1

Fort Dodge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Dodge Mortgages