Catholic teacher in Iowa fired after ...

Catholic teacher in Iowa fired after Facebook survey

There are 125 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 28, 2010, titled Catholic teacher in Iowa fired after Facebook survey. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

DoMo

Hanoi, Vietnam

#22 May 28, 2010
If I were a math teacher at that school and I wrote on Facebook about how disgusting it is that the Catholic Church knowingly allowed pedophile priests to molest young children and then moved them around to avoid the law, would I have been fired???

free in mn

Saint Paul, MN

#23 May 28, 2010
Cheeze wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you spewing your athiesm / agnostism on those who do believe? How does that make you a better person? I am Catholic and I have asked God to forgive you for being so judgemental and dispassionate toward others.
Chaz said ORGANIZED religion. One can be spiritual and never step foot inside a church.
Rice St

Saint Paul, MN

#24 May 28, 2010
Chaz wrote:
I see some $$$ in her future. You can be a great teacher and not believe in the false perceptions spewed on us by organized religion.
ONLY if you work in a PUBLIC school. This was a CATHOLIC school. Believing in GOD is a prerequisite.
Plagioclase

United States

#25 May 28, 2010
ESG wrote:
<quoted text>
What if you're wrong?
I wondered how long it would take for Pascal's Wager to come into play.
HollyMary MotherofGod

Minneapolis, MN

#26 May 28, 2010
Where in the heck did Ms. Nurre receive her degree? She's obviously an idiot. If a math teacher can't add 2 + 2 and realize a comment on Facebook is certain to come back and bite her in the butt, she shouldn't be teaching.
Oh, and that pentagram she drew on the floor of her classroom should have been a hint.....
DoMo

Hanoi, Vietnam

#27 May 28, 2010
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
Why would an atheist want to work in a Catholic school anyway?
I don't know about atheists, but I know why pedophiles would want to work in a Catholic school. If you're a child molester, it is nearly impossible to get fired in the Catholic Church.

Write a meaningless comment on Facebook? YOU'RE FIRED!!!

Sexually molest young children for decades with the full knowledge of the Church? SEE THE WORLD! We'll find a job for you somewhere where you can be free to diddle children again with impunity!!
Bob

Hastings, MN

#28 May 28, 2010
Everyone believes in something......... I believe I will have another beer. :)
Nancy

Minneapolis, MN

#29 May 28, 2010
Why would an atheist want to work in a Catholic school anyway?
It would be like having a decent, christian woman working at the headquarters of the democrat party. They would fire her if they found out.
Does Bilderberg mean "biggot" in another language, or just "idiot"?
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#30 May 28, 2010
DoMo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about atheists, but I know why pedophiles would want to work in a Catholic school. If you're a child molester, it is nearly impossible to get fired in the Catholic Church.
Write a meaningless comment on Facebook? YOU'RE FIRED!!!
Sexually molest young children for decades with the full knowledge of the Church? SEE THE WORLD! We'll find a job for you somewhere where you can be free to diddle children again with impunity!!
Interesting that you would know so much about such things.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#31 May 28, 2010
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Bilderberg mean "biggot" in another language, or just "idiot"?
I'm not the one who doesn't know what it means.
The Big Bopper

Saint Paul, MN

#32 May 28, 2010
Anastasia Beaverhausen wrote:
We can sit and argue over the existence of God, how we feel about the Catholic church, free speech, Facebook, blah-blah-blah until we're blue in the face. But if I were a Catholic parent paying a lot of money for my child to be educated in a Catholic school, I would not want a teacher who says that they do not believe in God. Plain and simple.
Out of all the postings, yours made the most sense. Obviously, if I am a parent sending a child to a Catholic school, I would want the teachers at this school observing the teachings of the church. Plain and simple!
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

#33 May 28, 2010
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who doesn't know what it means.
Well I do. It means "picture mountain" in German.

Only in your case I think the picture is sometimes an abstract.
mnsota girl

Woodstock, IL

#34 May 28, 2010
Although the teacher was pretty stupid for posting that on FB, hopefully the school learns from this as well and discusses the applicants religious views (being that it's a Catholic school).
O-3E in 101st Airborne

United States

#35 May 28, 2010
tcbaresh wrote:
Let's be honest. No one can define exactly what god is. Any reasonable or rational human must conclude that "god" does not exist.
So, the catholic church doesn't want reasonable or rational humans.
That sounds about right.
You can't have creation without a creator. The world got here somehow.
Bud in St Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#36 May 28, 2010
Cheeze wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you spewing your athiesm / agnostism on those who do believe? How does that make you a better person? I am Catholic and I have asked God to forgive you for being so judgemental and dispassionate toward others.
No were in the article did say she was teaching or sharing her personal views at the school. Therefore I fail to understand why she was fired for saying or writing something on her own time.

So long as she was not teaching a religionist subject she should not have any problem teaching any normal school subjects such as history civics math etc in a catholic school.
Oh Yeah

Maple Grove, MN

#37 May 28, 2010
Why are comments enabled for this but not for the child flogger? This didn't even happen in Mn.
Living in MN

Menahga, MN

#38 May 28, 2010
"of St. Edmond Catholic School fired 27-year-old Abby Nurre late last year, just months after she was hired as an eighth-grade math teacher"

I think the key phrase here is she was fired just months after being hired.
This is not a teacher that has been at this school for many years but someone who is still in probationary period.

Did she get fired for her comments or was she a lousy teacher? According to her own comments she changes her mind allot on this topic does her indecision also relate to her professional career?

If she did get fired for her comment it would depend on if she included where she worked in her profile as it would relate where she worked with her current beliefs.
Its part of most of the contracts that professionals sign that you have to work in the best interest of the company else risk termination.
Smartass

Saint Paul, MN

#39 May 28, 2010
First of all there should be no such thing as private or church schools. Religion can be taught in church and practiced at home.

Secondly, we have freedom of religion in many parts of this world but apparently not in Iowa or USA.

Next, we need to delete from the minds of all the ill informed the trash that instilled by churches.

OMG, I am so right again......
Gopher123

Minneapolis, MN

#40 May 28, 2010
Truth Missle wrote:
Sorry, but Private Schools and business are not democracies.
Right, but they operate in a democracy and are subject to it's laws. Civil liberties are not something that can be infringed upon by either.
Atheist

Saint Paul, MN

#41 May 28, 2010
O-3E in 101st Airborne wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't have creation without a creator. The world got here somehow.
They believe that it "just happened" plain and simple

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Dodge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Contingent of Eagle Grove Community Members in ... Jul '16 SickandTired 1
News Corrections board hires warden not knowing of O... Jun '16 What 3
News Humboldt city council provides $200,000 for hou... May '16 SickandTired 1
News Lungren Wind farm developers plan solar energy ... Mar '16 Solarman 1
News Cruz faults Senate rivals for skipping pressing... (Oct '15) Feb '16 Golf Foxtrot Yankee 37
News Rights (Feb '16) Feb '16 LOUISE 1
News Evangelical Leader Jerry Falwell, Jr. Endorses ... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Clifford Spencer 1

Fort Dodge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Fort Dodge Mortgages