Catholic teacher in Iowa fired after Facebook survey

Full story: TwinCities.com

A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.
Comments
1 - 20 of 125 Comments Last updated Jun 1, 2010
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Truth Missle

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Sorry, but Private Schools and business are not democracies.
Dirty

Plymouth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Just doesn't make sense for her to even be there...Yeah, I'm a newly hired firefighter, but I really don't like the smoke and heat. And why are we using these hoses? Oh, I'm sure it won't be an issue for me..........
Farve

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Yeah, you have to kissed their a$@ to stay employed.
Chaz

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

I see some $$$ in her future. You can be a great teacher and not believe in the false perceptions spewed on us by organized religion.
Difference

Shakopee, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

The headline read that a Catholic Teacher was fired. Wrong, a teacher at a Catholic School was fired, she was obviously not Catholic.
Cheeze

Shakopee, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Chaz wrote:
I see some $$$ in her future. You can be a great teacher and not believe in the false perceptions spewed on us by organized religion.
Are you spewing your athiesm / agnostism on those who do believe? How does that make you a better person? I am Catholic and I have asked God to forgive you for being so judgemental and dispassionate toward others.
tcbaresh

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Let's be honest. No one can define exactly what god is. Any reasonable or rational human must conclude that "god" does not exist.
So, the catholic church doesn't want reasonable or rational humans.
That sounds about right.
Casanova Frankenstein

Kilkenny, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

tcbaresh wrote:
Let's be honest. No one can define exactly what god is. Any reasonable or rational human must conclude that "god" does not exist.
That sounds about right.
Stay inside your tiny world, TC...it is safer there.
General Liggum

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

stupid is as stupid does
Pilot

Red Wing, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Good lord, shut up! You're benevolent enough to seek forgiveness toward people *you* think are judgemental and dispassionate according to your standards? You may or may not be full of it, but you're certainly full of yourself. Go away and stay there.
Cheeze wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you spewing your athiesm / agnostism on those who do believe? How does that make you a better person? I am Catholic and I have asked God to forgive you for being so judgemental and dispassionate toward others.
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

When are people going to get it through their heads that something you say or post on those social networks such as Facebook can come back to bite you in the rear?

If it's something she wouldn't say at work, she shouldn't say it on Facebook.
Asking

Shakopee, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Pilot wrote:
Good lord, shut up! You're benevolent enough to seek forgiveness toward people *you* think are judgemental and dispassionate according to your standards? You may or may not be full of it, but you're certainly full of yourself. Go away and stay there.
<quoted text>
Where do you think Chaz will go when she is alone and in a time of need? Do not fear, there will be someone to greet you.
Bob

Hastings, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Bottom line is people are stupid for posting any kind of personal info on Facebook and they will continue to get burned by it.
reasonable and rational

Jefferson City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

tcbaresh wrote:
That sounds about right.
Whats more irrational, having faith in the God who created all or believing in nothing? To me, believing in nothing is unreasonable and irrational. We all have beliefs one way or the other and quite frankly the Christian community gets slammed frequently for being intolerant, but where is the tolerance for our beliefs?
Theresa

New Market, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Chaz wrote:
This "great" teacher must have lied her way into a job she should never have applied for in the first place. Most of the "spewing" has come from the people who hate organized religion, yet do not really know anything about it, except what they hear in the news.
Just Saying

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Chaz wrote:
Sure you can. However, organized religion is under no obligation to employ you to act on its behalf if you don't accept what it stands for. There are many places one can teach where religious belief is not an issue -- why on earth seek a job at a place where you're at odds with what they stand for?
DoMo

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Funny....the Catholic Church fires a math teacher for a trivial comment on a webpage, but if you've molested kids for decades, you can get moved around to different jobs all over the world.....where you're allowed to molest again and again!!
Sarah D

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you can. However, organized religion is under no obligation to employ you to act on its behalf if you don't accept what it stands for. There are many places one can teach where religious belief is not an issue -- why on earth seek a job at a place where you're at odds with what they stand for?
Well obviously she took the job because she needed a job. Remember there's not a lot of jobs out there now.

The thing is that having taken a job at a religious school, she should have kept her month shut regarding her atheist viewpoint (or to be more accurate she shouldn't have been posting that viewpoint for everyone to see on Facebook).

And since Catholic schools are all PRIVATE schools, they are free to fire her for not fitting their standards.
Anastasia Beaverhausen

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

We can sit and argue over the existence of God, how we feel about the Catholic church, free speech, Facebook, blah-blah-blah until we're blue in the face. But if I were a Catholic parent paying a lot of money for my child to be educated in a Catholic school, I would not want a teacher who says that they do not believe in God. Plain and simple.
ESG

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Judged:

tcbaresh wrote:
That sounds about right.
What if you're wrong?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fort Dodge Discussions

Search the Fort Dodge Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IA Who do you support for Governor in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 11 Go Blue Forever 63
IA Iowa House primary ground zero for gay marriage... (Jun '10) Jun '14 slayer rules 411
IA Who do you support for Treasurer in Iowa in 2010? (Oct '10) Mar '14 daxton 9
IA IA Natural Resources and Outdoor Recreation Tru... (Oct '10) Mar '14 aez 17
Free Obamacare Seminar (Jan '14) Jan '14 Just Me 1
fort dodge police (Apr '10) Dec '13 ike 4
CHEVY Male 3yrs old Sharpei lost in Fort Dodge (Dec '13) Dec '13 Dog Lover 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fort Dodge Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000